Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Where to buy in Amsterdam?

Hi all. I'm from the US but will be in Amsterdam for work soon and was hoping the group here could give me tips on where to buy some LEGO while there. This is my first trip across the Atlantic and I keep hearing about polys or other sets that are only available (or are available sooner) in Europe. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Comments

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,837
    There are a couple of popular chain toy shops in Amsterdam - Bart Smit and intertoys.

They're not exactly cheap, compared to the UK for Lego (and will seem very expensive compared to the US). They do some great deals on toys there, but not often on Lego - good selection in both can be had though.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    Those are the big two, in most Dutch cities. Vroom and Dreesman (department store) also sell a bit of lego, but it is fairly limited and mainly run of the mill sets. I don't think I have ever seen decent poly bags in there.

Instead, fill up on hagelslag and muisjes.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,837
    Or freshly made apfel oliebollen at Dam Square.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,346
    Sorry if I will perhaps shatter your dreams. But to my knowledge The Netherlands is not Lego polybag heaven. At least not to my knowledge.
    Indeed as @monkeyhanger wrote: Bart Smit, and Intertoys, as well as some Blokker stores sell Lego. The pricetag on many Lego sets at Intertoys and Bart Smit are higher then those of [email protected] Not all Vroom&Dreesman stores sell Lego, nor do all Blokker stores.
    I live in Amsterdam, the historic city centre is huge (well at least compared to that of many other European cities) with lots and lots of shops, and boutiques, etc. but there aren't many shops that sell Lego, and the toy shops and department stores that do, often have a limited assortment of sets and themes. And unlike from what I gather here on this forum with regard to frequent huge discounts on sets at Walmart and other stores in the USA you won't find that in Amsterdam either.
    Although that does not mean that every now and then you might run into a some sets at a discount, or some special offer.

I bought the Lego Hobbit Xbox game at Intertoys located at Damrak, and I had to ask for the special Bilbo poly that on their website was shown to be included with it. Had I not asked for it none of the kids working in that store would have known or thought about it and given me one. One kid had to ask another, who went looking for the old grumpy manager, who told him to get a key to some locker/cabinet on the second floor where all the console games are (while all the Lego sets themselves are on the ground floor) so he could dig a poly up for me.

Anyway if you care to share, when you are in Amsterdam, post your your Lego shopping quest/adventure here, I am curious to read what you manage to find, and think of the Lego assortment, that is on offer here, and the price level?

Fortunately there is always the internet for some further bargain hunting.

Anyway happy trails...........
  • billiam1507billiam1507 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the helpful info! I appreciate the honesty on what I'm likely to find - or not find - and I will definitely follow up with some details on the experience.