Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Munchkin LEGO coming to Kickstarter

ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,154
Any fans of the Munchkin card games might be interested in the following article:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/11/03/guy-himber-talks-about-crazybricks-skulls-pigs-hats-zombies-munchkin-and-more/

Seems that the project will go on Kickstarter either later today or tomorrow depending on where in the world you are. I love the Munchkin card games, they are crazy, so I will definitely be supporting this project when it goes live...if only so I can get a Lego Duck of Doom and Rat on a Stick!

Comments

• BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,281
    Count me in for that!

/hopes for Chainsaw of Bloody Dismemberment and Boots of Butt Kicking
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,154
    I know I'm going to be backing this with more money than I should, but I love playing Munchkin and having a Minifig to represent my game character is too good to pass on!
    It's now live on Kickstarter an already got quite a bit of support, myself included! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crazybricks/munchkin-bricks-accessories-for-your-miniature-fig
    TheLoneTensor
    WOW, not even one full day and they've got $12,542 of their $15,000 goal - I'm now very optimistic of getting some of the stretch goal items on this now - from the pictures i'm hoping for the chicken on your head curse and the flaming armour, but there's so much they could include that it's hard to imagine what else might be on there.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,281
    That's me signed up too!
    Come on stretch goals!!
    Shib
    I'm astounded by this project, it's got 24 hours left now and they've hit $50k and even added another stretch goal for $55k. I know that production of the parts is going to take a while but I can't wait to get my Munchkin bricks and start putting some silly little Munchkin MOC pieces.
  • dragwitdragwit Member Posts: 26
    Shib said:

I'm astounded by this project, it's got 24 hours left now and they've hit $50k and even added another stretch goal for $55k. I know that production of the parts is going to take a while but I can't wait to get my Munchkin bricks and start putting some silly little Munchkin MOC pieces.

I am throwing all my support I can at it... I hope that he reaches the $55K stretch goal... getting a couple of pieces in "translucent Kickstarter green" would be awesome!

^on reading about that I had to up my pledge a little as well.
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    Finally pledged last night, I had forgotten about it and glad someone posted here last night or I would have missed this. LOVE Munchkin.
    Shib
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited June 2014
    What did the Double Whammy stretch goal (#8) add to the package?
    edited June 2014
    A new colour and two random trans green items
    They missed an opportunity, they needed a new mold stretch goal. More of the same (even in new colors) is kinda boring.

I write this as a proud supporter of the project, of course :)
    ^I'd imagine that they knew they would only have time to get new moulds made for two extras, which is why only two of the eight were new items.
    Having had my Munchkin Bricks parts for a couple of weeks now I thought I'd post a little bit of a review - It's quite long so I'm going to have to spread it over a couple of posts (according to the count at the top it's about 6500 characters over post length!)

Background

As a fan of Munchkin I was excited to hear about the Munchkin Bricks project on Kickstarter being run by Guy Himber (aka V&A Steamworks) of Crazy Bricks. This was only the second Kickstarter I had ever backed at the time, with the other being an event so I was a little nervous as to what to expect, however having seen some good feedback for Crazy Bricks (including a previous custom Lego based kickstarter) I decided pretty quickly to put a pledge in.

One major gripe with this campaign is that it was massively delayed. I pledged back in May 2014 and only received my 'rewards' in March 2015 - the initial predicted date for delivery was November 2014, which I think was optimistically predicted before the full extent of just how successful the campaign would be. The project received full funding in under 24hours, and finished with 1,241 backers pledging $58,796 - over $40,000 more than initially needed. So to be fair I expected them to take a long time, and Guy was very good at updating the Kickstarter page with all the info about what was going on and why it was taking as long as it did.

Also after funding was received there was a constant increase in stretch goals added, giving more and more rewards to each backer, one of these was part of the delay as the design of the iconic Spyke's Helmet piece proved very tricky to match the source, work as Lego and not be a massive hazard.

I opted to back $35 which would get me two sets of Munchkin Bricks plus any unlocked stretch-goal goodies and an exclusive custom BrickArms Crate of Hoarding. I was really interested in the crate, thinking it would hold some of the weapons nicely, until I saw a picture of it next to a minifigure and realised it wouldn't hold much. It still seemed a nice addition though so I kept it on my pledge and when the add-ons menu was unlocked I added;

The BULLROG Collection of Printed Munchkin Tiles - pieces printed to look like a box, deck and game board of Munchkin.
    The Collected Special Collection - 5 additional colours each of 5 different pieces (meaning an additional 25 pieces total)
    A Munchkin Bricks Brick Badge

These added quite a bit of additional cost to my order, but I felt it was justified for the extra amount that I got as a result.

With all the stretch goals that were unlocked Guy included in each set;

Three extra random parts per set ordered.
    Two random parts per pledge in exclusive Kickstarter Translucent Green colour.
    A random Pigs vs Cows head (an existing item which can normally be purchased through the Crazy Bricks website)

Every additional item that was added made me feel like I was getting a better deal. I noticed a few people commenting on the updates questioning exactly what was being added, I found it fairly clear to follow although I can see where some of the confusion came from.

The Finished Thing

As soon as I opened the package, any fears about quality of product were put instantly to rest. The plastic felt good, certainly up to standard Lego plastic, something which is hard to explain to people who haven't experienced the nasty cheap feel of inferior construction toy brands against genuine Lego. I did notice a slight marbling of the colours on a couple of parts, generally the metallic colours, but they are generally only noticeable on really close inspection. 

carlq
    After all the stretch goals each set consisted of;

An Unnatural Axe -
    Unnatural Axe is the titular card of the first expansion for Munchkin, and as such features on the box art and as well as being a card of it's own features as part of one of the cheat cards. The Part looks great, it really captures the cartoony nature of the piece and still looks acceptably Lego like that it could appeal to those that don't know the Munchkin game. This part was actually sculpted by Will Chapman from BrickArms - the company behind the Crate of Hoarding, who Crazy Bricks seem to have an existing relationship with judging by the other crates available on their website.

A Chainsaw of Bloody Dismemberment -
    The piece is based slightly more on the box art than the actual card. Although there is little difference between the two, the box art's chainsaw features text on the blade that says 'Orc-b-gone' which is quite satisfyingly on the piece. For those looking for a plain chainsaw piece this text only appears on one side of the final piece, but personally I'd more likely use something like the brick built chainsaw from sets like the Winter Village Cottage than a specialized piece like this.

A Duck of Doom -
    The inclusion of this piece was a big draw to me. The Duck of Doom is one of the most famous cards in Munchkin that references some D&D players tendency to include ridiculous and evil traps in their dungeons. The card has spawned several similar cards, including some that cross over with other card games (Duck of Gloom for the Gloom card game) and even been reproduced as a plush toy. The piece fits nicely on a single stud, meaning it can easily be held by minifigures but it slightly too wide to fit flush to another piece, meaning it needs a little bit of space around it. I will admit I am a bit of a sucker for moulded animal parts, so having a duck, even a cartoony one like this really appeals to me, but it's cartoony nature also means it looks great as a rubber duckie type piece for non munchkin builds.

A Cute "Shoulder" Dragon -
    This is quite a divisive part as fixing it to a minifigure involves removing a hand (which is something that some people really dislike doing) and as a result is more of a forearm dragon than a shoulder dragon. Personally I'd have preferred a fixing that attached via the minifigure neck, but I can see the logic in this design. One big saving grace is that it also fits quite tightly to pole elements meaning you can easily perch them without the heavier top making them topple into a bat position. While the actual dragon may not be very closely modeled on the card it does look great - in my opinion much better than the official Lego 'Norbert' dragon piece. Having both styles though does open up a lot of options for Fantasy MOCs.

A Triple-Barreled Shotgun-
    This is based on a card from the Munchkin Cthulu game rather than the standard game. The original design for the piece was very similar to the card, as such it was very plain looking. During the campaign it got a steampunk inspired redesign, though who are aware of Guy's work probably weren't surprised. He has previously made some incredible Steam Punk MOCs and has even published a book of Steampunk Lego through No Starch Press. This was another choice that divided backers somewhat, as some people felt it took away from the Munchkin nature of the piece while others thought it improved one of the weakest parts in the set. Personally, having had chance to look over the finished piece I think that it is an improvement but actually I think it reflects a poor choice of piece in the first place. There are a lot of far more unique items in the Munchkin world that would have made great parts without the need for a massive redesign. Personally I'd have rather had something like the Singing and Dancing Sword, Two Handed Sword, Vorpal Blade or some of the orc or halfling specific weapons for a more unique piece. As it is the shotgun is however a nice part, and will be easily used in a lot of situations, but I can see why some people were disappointed.

A Munchkinomicon Book -
    This part is based on the titular card of the Munchkinomicon booster which introduced a lot of additional rules and gameplay elements. While I am not a massive fan of the booster in the game, this piece is fantastic. It looks very similar to the card and has an excellent opening hinge which reveals a Warehouse 23 Logo and the +5 bonus that the card gives you on the inside. I think Lego could improve their book pieces from the hollow, stress marked pieces they currently use to something more like this. Minifigures can hold the book nice and tightly by the spine when closed, when opened it's a little more precarious but I think it's ultimately worth it.

A Rat on a Stick-
    To me this is one of those massively fun, ridiculous Munchkin weapons that was a fantastic inclusion. The comic look of the rat captures the card really well, and while this might not seem like the most usable part I think it'll be great for orc/dwarf characters to be roasting over a fire as well as use in Munchkin builds as a weapon. The one criticism I have of this part is that in matching the card design the holding end of the stick has been rounded which means it doesn't hold well in elements that lego bar pieces can attach to. I found this as I had planned to use my tanslucent green one as part of a joke shot of Anakin with a 'Light saber upgrade' - while the piece can fit in the light saber handle it doesn't have any clutch power, stands at an angle and falls out with the slightest movement. It's a minor problem though as there are a few ways to work around it if you really want to build something in a similar way.

A Chibithulu - 
    Another Card from the Munchkin Cuthulu game, the piece is comparable to the card design, but with a very different pose. Personally I could take or leave this piece, it's very similar to the Lego teddy bear element so I can see myself using it to decorate rooms or toy shop type setups. 

A Miter (or Cleric's hat) -
    This part isn't based on a specific card, but the hat that any cards depicting a Cleric class character wears. This was one of the stretch goal pieces which unlocked once $20,000 was pledged. I think there was a good logic in this choice, with Lego avoiding religious subject matter it makes it a very unique part that a variety of people might want. I won't be at all surprised to see Crazy Bricks selling this part seperately in the future as a result of it's wider appeal. Personally I was a little disappointed that something more unique wasn't chosen, but it's not a bad part. While there is no print, the typical cross is depicted by moulding.

carlq
    Spykes's Helmet - 
    This is an interesting choice as it doesn't really appear on a card, though there are some similar, but instead is based on the Munchkin mascot character's helmet. This part was the second piece added as a result of stretch goals and was actually voted for by backers of the project. I actually voted for the other option the Orc Skull Helmet, as I thought it was a far more unique item, but I was not at all surprised that Spyke's Helmet won the vote. This piece is probably one of the biggest disappointments of the set. The odd proportions of the design meant there were a lot of problems in production. The giant horns moulded on the prototypes were found to be too sharp so the decision was made to change them (and the spike on top) for soft, rubbery plastic which is inserted into holes on the main helmet piece. The clutch on these is not as strong as official Lego parts that use this method, of my two helmets one of the six rubbery parts has a tenancy to fall out when handled. Guy has responded to these criticisms by suggesting that they are fine for display but if they are for play it's best to Kragle the horns into the helmet. I would have been a lot happier with the helmet in general if it had included Spyke's hair as part of the design, but I appreciate that with the single colour moulding it might have looked very odd.

Further Thoughts

While I am very happy with the overall quality of what I received there are a few things that could have vastly improved the final products.
    The first I accept would have added a lot to the cost - printing. Things like the Mitre's cross not being red, or the Duck of Doom not having white eyes does make them look a little incomplete. To be fair this can easily be remedied by painting, which I've been told is relatively easy with standard modeling paints.

The second seems to me a bit of a missed trick - Mixed colour packs. I think that certain elements look better in the original colour from the cards, e.g Spykes helmet in Silver, Duck of Doom in Yellow and Chibithulu in green. The lack of such an option was why I opted for the collected collections, allowing me to have what I saw as the right colour for each part. I realise that the single colour for each set was probably for ease of production and to keep pricing down, but it seems for a small additional a correct colour addition would have been a big seller, especially with the news that Warehouse 23 are going to be selling some packs through their website I think that non-FOL Munchkin fans would almost certainly prefer to have correctly coloured sets.

Additional Parts (Parts that were not included in the general set)

Crate of Hoarding
    Anyone who already owns a BrickArms crate will know that these are a good part. They are similar to the Lego crate elements, but longer, which makes them look a lot more natural and makes them usable for holding a far wider range of parts. The print on them is nice, the design of the print is nothing massively special in my opinion but it's definitely a nice addition.

Bullrog Collection
    When this was announced I thought it was an obvious, but pretty clever addition. It consists of printed parts to create a minifigure scale setup for a Munchkin Card game, including a game box, 4 tiles printed to look like cards (two showing the backs of cards and two showing the face of the cards) a gameboard and a Kill-o-meter. It's great for set dressing of various builds that will appeal to Munchkin fans. The Printing on the pieces is nice, while the scale is too small to pick out any text on the cards the images show very clearly which cards they are, and cleverly they are all cards that are represented in the parts produced.

Conclusion

This was a great project, and I'm really glad I backed it. The issues I've mentioned are all really relatively minor and do little to blemish the final product. If I had to assign some kind of rating to these I'd give them a 9 out of 10. 
    carlq
    I don't really expect anyone to read that massive essay, but thought some people might like to glance over it at least. I am currently waiting on some new stuff for my photography set up so will add some pictures once all of that arrives. I'd urge anyone else who backed to share pictures too.
    carlqTheLoneTensor
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    I enjoyed receiving my set and have to point out that the time-frame for the delivery of this KickStarter was as good or better than others I have supported. If you expected the items to actually be shipped anywhere near the date originally proposed you clearly have not had much experience with KickStarter. ;)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,566
    SBrick were fairly good, only about two months late.

I use a lot of brickwarriors and brickforge parts, the quality of customs these days is often as good as or better than lego.
    tedward said:
    I enjoyed receiving my set and have to point out that the time-frame for the delivery of this KickStarter was as good or better than others I have supported. If you expected the items to actually be shipped anywhere near the date originally proposed you clearly have not had much experience with KickStarter. ;)
    It was only the second KS I backed and to be honest I thought it was very optimistic a date for them, but I think that Guy should have put a more realistic date, which he did with the Mouseguard project that followed this one.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    @shib I'd love to see pics of the game card tiles if you get chance
    @Kevin_Hyatt - I was able to get some of the bits I needed for my new photo rig this weekend so should be able to get some snaps soon
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    @shib - an excellent essay! I supported this as well - not because I'm a Munchkin player, but because I liked the proposed items and could see some good uses for them. Consequently, the background you provided to each item was interesting and informative to me. Thanks! :-)
    Shib
    Thanks @carlq - it's a fun game, fairy easy to learn although a few rules are a bit open to interpretation. The best thing about it though is it's all put together with a bit of tongue in cheek humour.
    carlq
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    We played Munchkin Cthulhu a bunch; its great fun. Just picked up the board game today, £40 so hoping its good!
    edited April 2015
    If by board game you're talking about Munchkin Quest, that's not quite as fun as classic Munchkin.  Now, there is Munchkin Deluxe that has a board too, and that's based on classic Munchkin, so hopefully that's what you got.

Btw, Munchkin is an incredibly fun game, especially if you've ever played D&D.  Oh yeah, I got the Munchkin bricks too, with a few extra of the exclusive Brick-Built Munchkin cards.  If you've got a decent poly (Balloon Cart/Flower Cart/VW Bus/Mini/Ghost/Sopwith), I'll trade one for it. (would put in Marketplace, but this is such a very specific thing)

edited April 2015
    Just put a load of pictures on my flickr. (should link through if you click on the picture)

For @Kevin_Hyatt here are the printed pieces.

Munchkin Bricks - The Bullrog Collection
    carlq
    Just bumping this old thread as a result of the news on the main page:

https://brickset.com/article/44825/munchkin-bricks-2-on-kickstarter
    HuwandheBaby_Yoda
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,566
    I guess it is great if you are a die hard fan and must have official parts, but they are incredibly expensive. $18 plus $18 for shipping for 8 parts. $4.50 a piece. That is sure is crazy.

Other creators such as brickwarriors charge about $1-$2 a piece (with many cheaper than that) plus $7 for shipping.
    Looked back at the old campaign and looks like the basic support costs were a little higher but shipping was a little lower - the new one is showing $15 shipping to the UK where the old one was $9

In their defence I belive that US shipping costs have had huge hikes since the last one, also I had a missing part in the first project which they shipped a replacement a couple of extras with no quibble or fee. 

Not sure if I'll back this one of not, think they did all the best munchkin content in the first. 
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 487
    I'm just sitting here wishing that Crazy Bricks would finally get around to re-releasing the Mouse Guard accessories pack in gray...

https://crazybricks.bigcartel.com/product/set-of-mouse-guard-accessories

I need those flagons for my Hobbits!!
    I remember backing mouse guard as well but don't remember much of what I got, I remember being less impressed with that kickstarter than the munchkin one