Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

eBay asks all users to change passwords

SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
edited June 2014 in Buying & Selling Topics
Just noticed this on another forum i visit that Ebay and Paypal have issued a statement that there system has recently been targeted by a cyber attack and recommend changing your passwords for both.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet-security/10846553/eBay-tells-users-to-change-passwords-after-cyber-attack.html#disqus_thread

Sorry mods if its in the wrong place.
Aleydita

Comments

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited May 2014
    "Although the firm also owns the PayPal money transfer service, it said that the division's data was stored separately, encrypted and that there was no evidence that it had been accessed."

Only change your paypal if its the same as your ebay.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    The leak of the attack was posted through a Paypal blog, thats why i posted both.

Ive changed both, i don't trust either companies.
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 749
    Thanks for the heads up.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    There's an official press release here. All users should be getting emails later today apparently.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    By my count, about 12 hours elapsed from the time this was first publicized to the time eBay put a message on their homepage. I have not yet received an email from them about a password change (and others are reporting the same), which is important because a large percentage of their userbase do not frequent the site regularly.

During that time I've still gotten spam messages telling me about items that might interest me.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited May 2014
    No email here either...

This is quickly becoming a textbook case of how not to handle a data breach.
    y2joshTXLegoguy