Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Castle Building

richoricho Member Posts: 3,792
edited August 2011 in Building and Techniques
Hi,

I use most of my spare bricks to build Castle MOCs, of which I have done a few already. I enjoy building them, and when they are finished my 5 year old daugter loves playing with them.
Not sure if this is the right thread, but here is the latest one!

A technique I use, is using a lot of the rock face pieces to build up a reasonably high base that the castle can sit on. This means that the entrance gates and main castle building can be raised from the floor, allowing for basement/cellar type rooms in the castle. (this one has a dungeon/prison)
http://www.bricksetforum.com/uploads/FileUpload/51/41fbaf155fe03814351c6abb0ed70b.jpg

Comments

• RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,676
    dude the pic dont work!
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,792
    oops. will try again.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,676
    thats a really nice castle. love the way that the rock walls work into the stone walls of the castle. Have you tried doing a motte and bailey castle? i would be interested to see your experiences as mine didnt go to plan, the mound is really hard to get right
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,617
    Looks like a solid build, almost like the toy fort I had as a kid. Why is it on a book? (Just a sidenote, you might get more interest if you posted on a castle/moc forum eg classic-castle.com or eurobricks, this forum tends to be collectors :) would be interested to see more pictures though. Maybe use brickshelf or mocpages?).
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Lovely castle, I'm impressed. Looks very playable too :)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I love castle MoCs too. Its the only 'genre' where the base sets are just the starting point of MoCs for me - the sets are never big enough.

Nice design by the way, keep going, keep going! ... taller turrets, another level, reach for the sky!
    Also, dont forget those oil pouring holes, they always look great, simple to do and very playable.
    thanks! It was on books as It was to piece together the inside bit with firm resistance of books underneath, rather than carpet, which is so springy that makes putting bricks on trickier.
    Yes it is also very playable, it was purposefully done that way so my 5 year old daughter could get her hands on it and enjoy it. The deal is that I build her nice MOCs, and then I can keep a few MISB sets for my own collection. lol
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited August 2011
    PS to give you inspiration, in a similar 'keep' style to yours (not mine I should add, just one I saved from somewhere)
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited August 2011
    Just a little FYI, you don't have to have the castle on a rock-base to create a cellar. Many fortifications were constructed so that entrance was onto the second level preventing the "storming of the gates" scenario (not quite as easy to storm a staircase or ladder).

The White Tower, the original Norman fortification at the Tower of London is an excellent example of this. Note the wooden staircase on the left side.

http://talkingandwriting.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/tower_of_london_white_tower.jpg
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    ^ That would make an excellent moc. Its probably been done before and I will be informed, no doubt.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    ^ Yeah pretty much!
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    Great castle! Basic question: I'm fairly new to Brickset and other LEGO forums, obviously "MOC" refers to a person's custom creation - but what do the letters actually stand for?
    MOC - "My Own Creation."
    Thanks for all the comments! Some good stuff out there!!