Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Craiglist Poly scam in Charlotte, NC

13»

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,101
    edited May 2014
    The difference is that when buying a Lego set you are in control of making that purchase. To me, if you have any doubt of the legitimacy of the product, you shouldn't purchase it.

Prove to me that anyone died making MY phone. Prove to me that any workers died in the field picking the strawberries I just ate. Prove to me that the cow that I get my milk from was treated badly. You cannot. We all know bad things are happening around the globe, but we can only act upon what we can control.

I get your point. I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think you can compare the two :)
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Bash Apple all you want, but these are issues for *every* viable consumer electronics device maker in the world today. This is not just isolated to Apple, and at least Apple has partnered with the FLA to perform audits and attempt to improve conditions, unlike every other company. ie. Samsung is much worse, yet gets none of the negative press for whatever reason.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited May 2014
    ^ I agree that every company is infected with at least a little evil, but you can't just go and toss out "Samsung is much worse" without at least a little support.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Some companies are infected with a lot of evil. Unfortunate aspect of greed.

The facts can't be ignored. It is terrible that people work under such conditions. But, what is a consumer to do? Not buy anything from China? Or, not own a cell phone? If the majority of people made those choices what would happen? Would the people working in those factories slave in fields instead? What if we paid $25 more for each phone? I doubt that would make a difference since I doubt the extra money would filter down go toward working conditions. I simply don't have an answer.

Don't get me wrong. I feel for their plight, but they have a choice to work under those conditions are not to. It is unfortunate, but the workers aren't slave labor are they? They have a choice, just as a coal miner does. Tough choices they are, but they are choices. Made by the individual.

I know this is a tangent within a tangent, but talking about current hardship in the world. What about those poor souls in North Korea? Ones that don't have a choice? Sadly, no one, or no country, knows what to do about that. And, what about those unfortunate school girls recently kidnapped by Islamic extremists.
    edited May 2014
    I think we are all drifting off course a bit.

This is what I usually gather from these types of conversations:

1) If it is too good to be true, it usually is.

2) If you post anything in the forum, expect to get comments.

3) If you post anything remotely controversial, then eexpect at least some backlash from it.

4) Expect to go off topic :)

BumblepantsJosephTheLoneTensorcheshirecatLegoboyBrickarmorTrenthYellowcastle

^ I agree that every company is infected with at least a little evil, but you can't just go and toss out "Samsung is much worse" without at least a little support.

Ok.

http://www.chinahearsay.com/why-samsungs-china-labor-problem-might-be-worse-than-apples/
    And keep in mind, Apple is just one of many Foxconn customers. Others include Acer, Amazon, Blackberry, Cisco, Dell, Google, HP, Microsoft, Motorola, Nintendo, Nokia, Sony, Toshiba, and Vizio.

And Apple is the *only* one who has partnered with the FLA to audit and publicly work to improve conditions. So bash Apple all you want, but don't look past all these other companies who make everything else you buy.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,662
    edited May 2014
    Do you have shares in Apple by any chance? ;-) Apple's a household name and was just more of an obvious choice.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    edited May 2014
    @pitfall69 We are drifting off course, but I was asked to provide support, so I did. My point is that people were making moral observations of @trenth after he stated that he thought the deal was on the up and up (and gave reasons), yet there are some much bigger issues at play for all of us that many of us overlook on a daily basis because it is convenient.

You say prove that someone died making your Iphone, or picking your strawberries or milking your cow. I can't and neither can anyone. But you can't prove it didn't happen. What is undeniable is that the working conditions for many of these workers border on criminal. No one can anyone say that the sets that @trenth bought were stolen. The story put forth could be 100% legitimate, yet people are generalizing and jumping to conclusions.

Not picking on you. I get where you are coming from, but my point is that there should be much more introspection from some folks before they decide to play morality police. That is just something that kind of irks me.

We are still friends, though right :)

Trenthpharmjod
    Of course we are friends. Aren't we all?

Let me ask you a serious question?

Can I still build my Death Star even though many Bothans died to get the plans?
    wagnerml2BumblepantsYellowcastleGoldchainspharmjodLegoboy
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Pitfall69 said:

Let me ask you a serious question?

Can I still build my Death Star even though many Bothans died to get the plans?

Well, considering the fact that it's a LEGO Death star and we don't have any LEGO Bothans yet that could have been killed I'd say its alright ;o)
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    Back on topic, a similar listing appeared in Cleveland.
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tag/4468654324.html
    I responded that I would be interested and could pick them up and pay in cash. I also asked the seller if they were selling the figures separately or as a set. He responded only with "yes" and an Iowa phone number.
  • BatmunchBatmunch Member Posts: 3
    I got a text from her out of no where last night saying the "Legos" were still available. No kissy face emoticon this time though.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,078
    edited May 2014
    I also got contacted again, via text. "Ann" said that she still had Legos available. I asked if, by chance, they had any 10179's. Replied back that they have 2. I left it at that. No word back from the FTC.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    lordzarak said:

Back on topic, a similar listing appeared in Cleveland.
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tag/4468654324.html
    I responded that I would be interested and could pick them up and pay in cash. I also asked the seller if they were selling the figures separately or as a set. He responded only with "yes" and an Iowa phone number.

Cleveland to Iowa, c'mon that's not a bad drive for Superman's dad.
    lordzarak
  • BazookaJoeX9BazookaJoeX9 Member Posts: 98
    I am fairly sure this is the same person.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tag/4469600045.html

Responded back to my email with an Iowa phone number.
    ^Has this person been reported yet?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    It would be fun to call her up and record the conversation, see just how far fetched and ridiculous you can get her.
    Legoboy
    Pitfall: I filed with Federal Trade Commission but no word back from them.
    Pitfall69
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    This just popped up in Phoenix CL, similar to the one from Pittsburg ^^^^
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/tag/4472916453.html

This type of scam must be effective since it seems to be sweeping across the US.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,344
    ^ It looks like someone reported it because it's gone now.
    bobabricks
    I was contacted again, via text message, that he now had a Paypal account. He would be a real slip-up on his part if it contained a verified address.
  • fizicystfizicyst Member Posts: 72
    edited May 2014
    Hey, this ad just popped up for NH:
    nh.craigslist.org/tag/4479390358.html

All I need to do is wire $400 and it will all be mine!!! ;)
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ I bet the scammers work all kinds of products and all kinds of scams. Unfortunately, I think hard core scammers do nothing but scam people for a living. I have a co-worker whose ex wife became a scammer and she tries all kinds of ways to scam people. I think it's just a matter of scamming enough people in different ways and the scammer will always find success with a few. Also, if the scammer keeps the amount of the scam low enough law enforcement never goes after them.

I had another coworker have the photos and rent information on their rental home copied, then changed such that people would send the scammer money. My coworker suddenly had people calling him about not being at the home when they stopped by to pick up the keys! Some of these people had prepaid their rent to the scammer! The scammer scammed 2 people before my friend ended that one scam. But, just think, that probably was just one of many scams the scammer had going. My friend filed a police report, but was told that they would probably do nothing about it. Too many other more important things to investigate.
    ^Sounds like a scam here. This guy had about10 rental properties and he was just getting up enough money to fix them up. Someone had copied his records and rented his properties out. One day he drove by and saw a car in the driveway. He walked in and it was "furnished" and had a huge big screen TV. He asked the people to leave and they said they signed a 6 month lease and already gave money to the person who rented the property.

Even though this was all a sham, he had to go through the legal channels to "evict" all these people. He owed about $10,000 is water bills.

Even though he didn't rent out his property!!!
13»