Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Craiglist Poly scam in Charlotte, NC

Comments

• TrenthTrenth Member Posts: 162
    ^Funny you say that. It wasn't, I picked up 5 of them from him for 550.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    ecmo47 said:

Speaking of scams in Jackson MS, This posting has all the earmarks of one too.

http://jackson.craigslist.org/for/4420416325.html

That guy probably stole it if it is not a scam.
    @ecmo47 I only saw 1 pic of gold c-3po (multiple pics of him but only 1 per pic) and one more interesting little detail is that all the backgrounds on the photos are different, put that together with your conversation with him and I would say its a for sure scam
    ^^ Said he owned a pawn shop. He wasn't getting any bites at 150 a set, so I haggled him down.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 938
    ^^ His story and he's sticking to it.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 813
    Trenth said:

^^ Said he owned a pawn shop. He wasn't getting any bites at 150 a set, so I haggled him down.

Why would you disclose your purchase price of something your currently offering for sale??

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,101
    I'm starting to get confused. I can't differentiate sarcasm from reality. Are we talking about 2 different scams now?
    bobabricksNorlego
    ^^I haven't updated that I sold those sets yet sorry...okay I wasn't really planning on sharing this story, but since it came up....
    I live about an hour and a half south of Jackson MS and saw the guy's post on craigslist. I emailed him and offered him 100 for the set and he accepted. When I got to Jackson he told me he had one more but he would have to have 125 for that one so I agreed.
    Fast forward about a month and the guy calls me and says he has three more but needs 175 each. I decline but told him I could buy one for 125. He said he needed at least 150. This goes back and forth for a few weeks. So on Tuesday he text me and tells me he has three he'll sell for 300. I didn't have 300 in the funds so I sold the two for 235 each and picked up the three he had.
    I wasn't trying to rub anything in, I was just commenting that the sale was indeed real. Besides I thought my price of 235 on ebay with free shipping was a pretty good deal.
    ^^ Either stolen sets or bought using a stolen charge card.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,227
    1265 said:

^^ Either stolen sets or bought using a stolen charge card.

Definitely, I'd tread cautiously @Trenth... and would warn you to not encourage the most likely fraudulent activity that the seller is engaging in. I'm sorry, but there is no way that a recently released set that is currently being sold in stores is "being offloaded because it isn't selling" for $100.

If he had just the two, it might be ok... but the fact that he bought 3 more after claiming he couldn't even sell the first two makes no sense unless he is picking them up through fraudulent activity. Who buys three more of a set that he can't sell? The simple fact that you are able to flip them for $235 so fast speaks volumes... why doesn't he also do that? Someone that is trying to sell his sets quick after either stealing them or using a stolen charge card (same thing essentially).
    BrickDancerPitfall69yys4uYellowcastle
    Yeah. Well I had those thoughts as well, but after meeting with him and talking to him a bit I don't think there was anything nefarious going on on his part. Like I said he owned a pawn shop, and from my understanding the person he got the sets from was reseller that got into a bind and needed the cash quickly. The guy I bought the sets from knew about how much the sets were worth, but he after having them on Craigslist for three weeks at 175-150 he was just ready to move them. So who knows.
    edited May 2014
    ^^ You are either very naive or just don't care how these sets were obtained. How many resellers do you know that would sell these at such a discount to a pawn shop knowingly these will sell much more elsewhere. Believe what you want, but these sets smell of theft (physical or credit).
    Jeez...ok righteous police. This is exactly why I wasn't going to share this story, but I made the call to buy the sets. I had the opportunity to buy the sets and I did. I had already met the guy, heard his story, and made my decision based on what he told me. Maybe I am naive and don't care but honestly I don't feel bad that I obtained the sets for the price I paid. You didn't talk to the guy or meet him so you know far less about the situation than I do. The market for LEGO is not the same in the south as it is in other places. Very few people would pay more than 100 for a set. He sat on those sets for a few weeks and I guess decided to break even. I am not a big fan of crucifying people based on speculation.
    joel4motionpharmjodYellowcastle
    edited May 2014
    ^^ Keep believing what you want to believe. My personal feeling is that you are an accessory to wrong doing.
    My biggest mind boggler is how did that guy steal a sea cow! The box is huge! You can't just waltz out with a box thats 3 feet by 3 feet, he must have been a delivery guy or something...
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Probably best we don't all start explaining in detail the ways to acquire sea cows for free. It does seem likely that that's what's happened here though.
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    @Trenth I see where you're coming from and respect your honesty. You followed your gut. The deal is done. People can speculate all they want but you made up your own mind. That's all that matters. I completely see why you didn't want to spill on an open forum as the righteous police would be all over you, and here they are.
    As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.
    Trenth
    @chesshirecat LOL don't take me the wrong way XD I'm just trying to rap my head around this guy just walking out with a box that big
    Trenth
    tom4086 said:

@Trenth I see where you're coming from and respect your honesty. You followed your gut. The deal is done. People can speculate all they want but you made up your own mind. That's all that matters. I completely see why you didn't want to spill on an open forum as the righteous police would be all over you, and here they are.

Very true, even if he did steal it you had nothing to do with it and it is not your fault and the truth of the matter is is that if you didn't buy then someone else would have. Oh and if this set was owned by a guy doing criminal activities then you might want to check the white pieces to make sure they are not made of *ahem* jokes, jokes :P but seriously you might want to check and make sure he wasn't hiding illegal stuff in there.
    Trenth
    Right, I opened the boxes up to check the contents.
    1265 said:

^^ Keep believing what you want to believe. My personal feeling is that you are an accessory to wrong doing.

We are all unfortunately accessories to wrong doing with pretty much anything we buy. Honestly though I didn't want to start a big debate I was just recounting my experience with the items since it was brought up in the forum. Clearly opinions are set on both sides so let's just move on. I do think we can all agree that the polybag guy is a scam. haha
    I don't think anyone is saying that someone buying stolen goods with no idea they were stolen is doing anything wrong. Some might suspect that anyone with a good knowledge of an items worth would suspect they're stolen, and if you buy stolen goods suspecting they're stolen you're breaking the law in the UK and I suspect the US as well as indirectly encouraging and supporting the initial theft (it wouldn't happen if there wasn't a ready market). Don't think that's righteous just factual.
    edited May 2014
    ^In the US, unless you knowingly purchased stolen goods, you won't be prosecuted. All they do is return the stolen items to the owner. It happens in Pawn Shops all the time. People come on wanting quick cash and the shop purchases a stolen item and are contacted by the police.

There are exceptions to the rule also, but most of the time a person won't be prosecuted.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,227
    tom4086 said:

@Trenth- I'm not trying to be the righteous police in the slightest. My post was actually a warning based off of my concern for you.

Mostly based off of what Pitfall said above... most of the time the second hand buyer isn't prosecuted, but there are times they are. Even if they aren't, they get caught up in the web of it all when the other person gets caught, and have to deal with cleaning up every single strand of web.

But it is your call, and you do know more about the guy than me, so I wish you the best of luck with it.
    tom4086Yellowcastle
    I hear you. Thanks for the advice
    ^If items were purchased with a stolen credit card, things can get bad fast. A few years ago, Lego started blacklisting people for suspected credit card/drop shipping fraud. Lego is so popular around the world that this has become a huge problem for TLG.

I believe @samiam391 was a victim of such a scam a year or so ago and he too got the riot act from fellow Brickset members. He bought an item at a very low price and it ended up being a credit card scam, so I can vouch for him saying he is only trying to help based on past experiences.
    ^Right, I really don't buy much on ebay. Hey Samiam, I just read the thread about your scam experience, sorry to hear about that. That sucks.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Pitfall69 said:

^If items were purchased with a stolen credit card, things can get bad fast. A few years ago, Lego started blacklisting people for suspected credit card/drop shipping fraud. Lego is so popular around the world that this has become a huge problem for TLG.

I believe @samiam391 was a victim of such a scam a year or so ago and he too got the riot act from fellow Brickset members. He bought an item at a very low price and it ended up being a credit card scam, so I can vouch for him saying he is only trying to help based on past experiences.

This happened to me as soon as I came back to Lego. I bought an MMV from eBay and it was dropped shipped. I had never heard of drop shipping scams before that. Needless to say, I had to contact TLG and get it all straight bc my address was flagged at that point. In my case the item wasn't that much cheaper - just slightly less than Amazons price. The "savings" def. wasn't worth the headache and the thought of being involved in something like that - even unknowingly - made me absolutely ill. I hate thieves with everything I have.
  • namioiknamioik Member Posts: 52
    Report this seller if you can, I blindly sent her money back in November because I wanted to take advantage of the great deal...too good to be true. After I sent "Ann" the money, never heard from her again
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 852
    My take: if you buy something knowing that it was likely acquired by less than legal means somewhere in the pipeline, then you are indirectly part of the problem because you create the demand. Without that demand there is no opportunity or reason for someone to steal the goods (or the credit card, or whatever) in the first place.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    An interesting debate. Most of us have Iphone or Droids that are produced by labor in Asia that would break most countries' human rights and labor laws that have a much more far-reaching impact on the good of humanity than a few potentially stolen lego sets. People don't seem to have much of a problem with that. In the US, if someone walks into a pawn shop that is licensed to operate in the state that it is situated, they have the right to rely on the legitimacy of the merchandise. Could it be stolen? Of course, by there are processes in place to account for this and no pawn broker would put his license at risk to sell a few items.
    TrenthNorlegopharmjod
    edited May 2014
    ^^ Who's to say that this person was truely a pawn broker. I understand that the person who sold @Trenth the sets said he owned a pawn shop. I'm willing to bet that the exchange of money for the sets didn't occur at a pawn shop.

BTW, I'm a former astronaut who had once traveled to Mars to fix the Mars Exploration Rover. ;)
    I asked him to meet me halfway, so upon my request we met elsewhere. I guess we could start playing the speculation game. Who's to say he wasn't Ole Kirk himself reincarnated to bring joy and happiness to resellers around the world.
    ^^ That's my point....anyone can say anything to fit their need and/or agenda.
    As you are demonstrating
    @Trenth I have no ill towards you. I've stated from the beginning that these sets are either stolen or bought using stolen funds. You may feel differently, but I'm not alone with my statement.

I understand maybe buying the first two, but then he calls you about three more that he wants to sell. My first thought, "Danger, Will Robinson!" Then offering only $300 for 3 sets and he accepts......again, "Danger, Will Robinson!"

As some have stated, be careful what you buy and who you deal with. I wouldn't want to see you somehow end up in a bad situation.
    ^Thanks for the concern. We just have different perspectives on the situation, and thats fine. I have walked away from quite a few deals in the past that didn't feel right, so I understand what you are saying.
    Though you have to understand that being accused of theft is rightly going to irk me. The stocks are just a little too tight here in Bricksetopia.
    1265 said:

edited May 2014
    wagnerml2 said:

An interesting debate. Most of us have Iphone or Droids that are produced by labor in Asia that would break most countries' human rights and labor laws that have a much more far-reaching impact on the good of humanity than a few potentially stolen lego sets. People don't seem to have much of a problem with that. In the US, if someone walks into a pawn shop that is licensed to operate in the state that it is situated, they have the right to rely on the legitimacy of the merchandise. Could it be stolen? Of course, by there are processes in place to account for this and no pawn broker would put his license at risk to sell a few items.

I agree about your point about IPhones and Android phones, but the difference is that we don't encourage that behavior in this forum.

I have had similar debates about "Buy American" and the people who push that on people. I tell those people that I bet that 98% of the items inside their home are made in another country; especially the IPhone that you are using to post your comments ;)

I just try to do my best to be a good citizen and a decent Bricksetter. I also try my darnedest to not be a hypocrite.

I don't agree with a Pawn Broker risking his license. Sports players risk their careers by doing drugs and illegal substances...and dog fighting :( What about that millionaire who got busted stealing $1,000's in Lego? What about Michael Jacksons doctor? People take risks because they don't think they will get caught. Plain and simple.

Great now I have to start drinking again. Curse you little plastic bits!
    Pitfall69Furrysaurus
    I think that the Lego community make far more out of anything than the average consumer. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    The idea that a pawn broker wouldn't risk their license is laughable. Probably half their stock is stolen and they'll know it. They'll just make sure it isn't traceable stuff, like ummn lego.

I seem to remember there being concern when people appeared to be searching out eBay drop shippers, I'm guessing we would say that's not on. But is it worse than buying what you know to be stolen lego. (which isn't what I'm saying. @Trenth did).
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    wagnerml2 said:

Post of the month! I would take it a little further, though. We all know people starve to death on this planet. We know were they live and what they need to survive - food. But we ignore their needs and worry instead about if some guy has bought stolen goods or just got lucky.
    I buy very, very cheap lego from people whom will not sell on Ebay. They just dont want the hassle, even if they could get a lot more. So the pawn broker could well have 5 sets that he need rid of, but not wanting the hassle of Ebay.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 852
    This conversation is approaching Godwin's law, so I'll just push it there: Hitler.

Also, just because other people do things that may or may not indirectly harm others has zero bearing on whether buying secondhand goods that you suspect to be stolen, acquired through a stolen credit card, or otherwise illegally obtained is morally wrong. Nice try, but no.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    The difference is that there's nothing illegal, nor is there any risk in buying a sweatshop produced iPhone.

In contrast, even if not illegal providing you're naive to the fact it's stolen, buying stolen goods risks you ending up out of pocket, because police can seize the goods from you if they're stolen and they don't have to give you your money back - the only way you'll see that is if it can be recouped from the person who sold you the stolen goods and that assumes they haven't blown it all on their heroin addiction or whatever these folks like to get upto nowadays.

So yeah if you see a bargain then sure you can go for it, but if it does get seized then you may face the embarrassment of the police searching your home coupled with hours of questioning to determine if you knowingly bought stolen goods and so forth.

If buying smartphones manufactured in places with a poor human rights record was illegal, or there was a risk of it being seized and me left out of pocket then absolutely I wouldn't do it. But as that's not the case, then it's not my place to interfere. I'm not going to feel guilty about doing something that's not illegal and creates jobs for people who would otherwise have nothing and be starving to death instead. What am I supposed to do, boycott so that they do get laid off from lack of demand and so starve to death? It's not even remotely the same issue.

Maybe it is legit, but sometimes letting greed get the better of you just isn't worth the risk.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,123
    edited May 2014

This conversation is approaching Godwin's law, so I'll just push it there: Hitler.

And after that, it's time to get it back on the subject of lego ...

Wait a minute, that's not real lego, there are customs in there.
    Norlego said:

I buy very, very cheap lego from people whom will not sell on Ebay. They just dont want the hassle, even if they could get a lot more. So the pawn broker could well have 5 sets that he need rid of, but not wanting the hassle of Ebay.

Hmmmm I can't see a pawnbroker being worried about the hassle of eBay given the profit to be earned. It's basically their job and it's normally much harder than flogging a few lego sets.

• NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    @Exfan most smartphones are produced illegally. China does have laws, but chooses not to fullfill them. In the uk lots of people are paid less than minium wage, the companies just dont get done for it. Maybe there are many naive consummers.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    I think you need to provide a citation for the claim that most smartphones are produced illegaly. It's a pretty hefty claim to make and I couldn't find any such evidence when I just searched. Did you perhaps instead mean a handful of Foxconn's 1.2 million employees have been treated in a manner that breaches China's employment laws? If so then that's not even remotely the same thing as "most smartphones are produced illegally".

But even if it were true I'm not sure what that changes. Your implication is surely then still that I should instead not buy such devices and instead leave these people jobless and likely to starve?

Is your suggestion then that it's okay to buy stolen goods in a Western nation so that criminals don't starve even though we have a support network that would prevent that even if you didn't buy their stolen goods?
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    ^ OK. China is violating some basic human rights conditions and rules that are the norm in most of the industrialized world. I think that is pretty universally reported and accepted as common practice. We just tend to ignore it because Apple's gizmos are cool.

Here is one:
    http://www.zdnet.com/undercover-reporter-reveals-conditions-at-foxconn-iphone-factory-7000004121/

Here is another:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2039245/foxconn-reports-three-possible-suicides-at-factories-in-china.html

Here is another:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2012/09/12/apples-new-foxconn-embarrassment/

Here is another:
    http://www.chinalaborwatch.org/pro/proshow-176.html

This clearly is not an isolated thing. There are consistent reports of deplorable working conditions, so of which lead to a high suicide rate, among these workers. Not really sure its up for debate.

I was pointing out that some people suggest that there is an issue with a poster using his/her judgment in assessing the original of some purchases while most of us purchase technology that clearly is made upon the backs of workers whose working conditions are deplorable. I'll stand by the statement and I think that there is more than ample reported evidence to back it up.