Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

need advice re. restoring an old tender car

PatriceBoivinPatriceBoivin Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Building and Techniques
I have train kit 182, but the coal tender car which holds the batteries needs work inside.

One of the metal prongs used to push up a battery is broken.

To get in there, I would need to disassemble the train car itself, but the sides are glued together.

Would anyone know if there is a way to dissolve that glue without damaging the plastic?

(ref. on kit 182: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/182_Train_Set_with_Motor )

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,914
    edited May 2014
    I doubt it, you'll have more luck using a craft knife to cut through the glue.

Is it a battery contact that has gone? If so, can you gently screw up a piece of aluminium foil so that it is too large but has some give in it and wedge it in between the battery and the contact when the battery is inserted. I've often done this on old toys with broken contacts and they work just fine. You have to do it every time you replace the battery, but at least you get to play with it again.
    Pitfall69
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,616
    Like ccc said, you have to cut the seam at the bottom to separate the two pieces, or you can buy a good used one from BrickLink for about 20 euros if you're in the UK.
    Pitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    It could also depend on what glue they used. Iwonder if ssoaking the car in boiling water with remove the glue? People have done this with moderate success on removing minifigures from magnets. I also used to do airplane models back in the day and have removed modeling cement from plastic by dipping my glued pieces in boiling water.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,944
    Soaking a battery box in water? Hmm...even if there are no batteries in it, you'd have to make sure it was all thoroughly dry inside before doing anything with it. Evidently, I'm kinda stating the obvious here, but, you know...
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,616
    I've cleaned tens of battery cars before. Soaking in hot water won't hurt at all. The contacts inside are copper so they are fine. I've only had one car split at the seam before. It looks pretty neat apart like that.

You don't want to throw the car away, but it's a lot easier to just buy a good used one rather than waste a lot of time trying to get it fixed.
    Pitfall69plasmodium
  • emmtwosixemmtwosix Member Posts: 80
    Pitfall69 said:

Iwonder if ssoaking the car in boiling water with remove the glue? People have done this with moderate success on removing minifigures from magnets.

Be very careful about using boiling water (100°C / 212°F), as it is very close to ABS's melting point (105­­°C / 221°F) and it becomes somewhat difficult to control the exact temperature of water once it reaches boiling.

I would recommend what @oldtodd33‌ does, and soak it in hot, but not boiling water.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    edited May 2014
    ^Oh yeah, I don't actually put my ABS in boiling water; I get it to boiling point while having a temperature gauge in the water and once it gets to a "safe" temp, I will throw my parts in.

Even that has backfired on me once, because it also makes a difference on how long you leave it in.
    emmtwosix
  • PatriceBoivinPatriceBoivin Member Posts: 2
    thanks... once I gather up the courage to try this, will let you know how it went. I've had this kit since I was a little kid, not keen on damaging it; but I tried the tin foil trick and the batteries tend to squash the foil over time, because they are so heavy.