Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] May 4th Sales at LEGO Stores

13»

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,673
    edited May 2014

what basically surprises me most, is that people are buying into the 10% off when same sets can be bought for cheaper somewhere else. for example following sets are already OOS and ship after 30 days.

#75003 Awing RRP$24 TLG Sale $22.48
    #75005 Rancor Pit RRP $59.99 TLG Sale 53.98 widely available @ $49.99
    #75014 Jek 14 RRP $69.99 TLG sale 62.98 widely available @ $59.99

i guess its the exclusive minifigure making people buy these since these are about few $ difference with the currently available prices.

I agree, you have to spend wisely as I think you get better value if you buy the smaller $19.99 sets for the 10% off than something like Rancor pit at 53.07 when that is almost always 45-50 dollars at Amazon.
    I guess it is how much do you value Darth Revan at?
    Is he worth the difference between 10% (Typically at LEGO) and 30% (Typically at Amazon) off sets?
    And you figure you will need to pay (I'm guessing) about 25-30 for the figure from resellers (though likely to go down a bit the more figures appear on sites like eBay Amazon and BL) . So is he worth that on the sets bought through LEGO? A bit weird way to look at it but that is how I am valuing the sets.
    Of course if you do not care for the figure, or buying enough to get it, then I would not be buying from LEGO then.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 665
    I just bought a Revan poly on eBay. $20 for a minifigure is expensive IMO, but at least I'm not wasting time with negligible savings on sets I don't want.
  • Mandalorian_BuilderMandalorian_Builder Member Posts: 197
    I treated myself to the UCS X-wing for my birthday during the 2X VIP points in April, and my awesome girlfriend surprised me with R2-D2. I am so happy I had the foresight to predict something like this happening. As much as it killed me, I kept them sealed with the receipts. I went to 2 different Lego stores this morning and did a return/buy-back, so I walked away with 2 Revans.

I was there when the store opened, but they didn't have a single 50% off set. Lego does not seem to care about making a sale worth my time, so I have no problem using their own system against them.
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 982
    I always have been able to go in store and get 1-2 SW sets, and fill out the rest of the $75 threshold with other themes. This year was no different.

I just got the three $12.99 battle packs and couple super hero sets. I didn't even have to ask the cashier for the Revan. I hope others have had similar success, as it makes it much easier to get the exclusive.
    teal93mr2 said:

I always have been able to go in store and get 1-2 SW sets, and fill out the rest of the $75 threshold with other themes. This year was no different.

I just got the three $12.99 battle packs and couple super hero sets. I didn't even have to ask the cashier for the Revan. I hope others have had similar success, as it makes it much easier to get the exclusive.

According to my store it was 75 of LEGO SW to get the promo, so I think you caught a break at your store.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,262
    Yeah I heard the cashier at mine tell the first guy to check out that it was one per customer. Looked like he had a Sandcrawler and a Gunship and was hoping for 2. Like has been said before, giving two for $400 is just good customer service despite what corporate is telling you. Store managers should know better than to nickle and dime but people still buy so I guess they can do what they want.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    edited May 2014
    I agree. When I sell a big set on EBay I throw in some extra stuff to show my appreciation. Most of the time it is sealed CMF packs. If it is a large used set order, I'll throw in a small set or a few minifigures that belong with that theme. It is good business.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    edited May 2014
    I visited a Lego store today, too... asked about the three 50% off items, and was told they hadn't had them in stock in months... that is a bit deceiving of a sale. At least the store had the fun build and photo thing going on... though there was no signage explaining to anyone about the photo competition.

@teal93mr2, in Miami the employees were unable to give the minifig to anyone unless they bought $75 worth of S.W. bricks. I filled some PAB cups while I watched customers question and scratch their heads, as they walked away from the checkout without increasing their SW purchase. Yeah, saw quite a few flustered customers.
    Pitfall69
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited May 2014
    I think the sale was a crock, and very deceptive, if only because the name of the sale is "May the 4th be with You." It isn't "May the 3rd be with You," or "May the First 3-18 Minutes of the 3rd be with You." Here we are not even on the 4th, and the only crumbs that were worth anything are long gone.

But, am I surprised? No, unfortunately.
    Pitfall69Mandalorian_BuilderMathBuilderjuggles7weevinBumblepants

I think the sale was a crock, and very deceptive, if only because the name of the sale is "May the 4th be with You." It isn't "May the 3rd be with You," or "May the First 3-18 Minutes of the 3rd be with You." Here we are not even on the 4th, and the only crumbs that were worth anything are long gone.

This, all day! ^

I am new to the hobby, so I will not make the same mistake next year. Come the third, I will be at a computer when it hits midnight. Wish that would have been clearer...
    @krklint and @madforLEGO,

I suppose it might be outside of the norm, but like I said, I have never even asked for it. When I lived in NC, all the employees knew me and perhaps that is why I never had to get just SW to get the minifigure. This year I live in GA, and get the same treatment. Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe these stores have better customer service than others. It really should be the same across the board.
    edited May 2014
    teal93mr2 said:

I suppose it might be outside of the norm, but like I said, I have never even asked for it. When I lived in NC, all the employees knew me and perhaps that is why I never had to get just SW to get the minifigure. This year I live in GA, and get the same treatment. Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe these stores have better customer service than others. It really should be the same across the board.

Not saying you did, just saying the employees at that store apparently are not adhering to the corp directive on the distribution of the figures.
    That is the bigger issue I take with it. No standards, or enforcement or the standards, not that you got extra ones.. Envious, maybe, but not saying you are evil or anything like that (at least until I hear a Maniacal laugh) .

I think for someone to buy a SandCrawler, you should get a couple of promos, I mean it is 300 bucks, but again I have a good rapport with the employees and try not to ruffle feathers
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,328

I can completely attest to this... as a person swamped in work I logged onto Brickset just now to hear the talk about the May the 4th sales and whether I should stay up until midnight.

Turns out the sale has already happened, which is very disappointing to hear. Thankfully, it was a pitiful sale on pitiful items... so no tears here.
    Pitfall69pharmjodkrklint
    I'm sorry but these sales have pretty much always been for a weekend and not just the day, they've been talked about for weeks, the LEGO store calendar has had it on there starting the 3rd forever. There is no one but yourselves to blame for not knowing when the sale started.

It isn't just this LEGO sale and you all know it but just want something to gripe about. Car dealers, furniture stores, department stores and pretty much everyone have 4th of July, Presidents day, Memorial Day, Labor Day etc etc etc sales and they always are for the weekend of the holiday.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Rest easy, Sam. I stayed up, saw the sale go live, and still just...meh. Nothing doing.
    Pitfall69Yellowcastle
    graphite said:

I'm sorry but these sales have pretty much always been for a weekend and not just the day, they've been talked about for weeks, the LEGO store calendar has had it on there starting the 3rd forever. There is no one but yourselves to blame for not knowing when the sale started.

It isn't just this LEGO sale and you all know it but just want something to gripe about. Car dealers, furniture stores, department stores and pretty much everyone have 4th of July, Presidents day, Memorial Day, Labor Day etc etc etc sales and they always are for the weekend of the holiday.

Ya, stupid me for assuming a brick and mortar store would get stock on an event they have been talking about as much as Black Friday. Shame on me for waking up early on the day the sale started and not knowing that.
    Dougout
  • intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    Yes, the sale wasn't great, but I buckled and picked up the Jedi Defender, my son was just all about Darth Revan. My final logic was "We have all the other Kotor sets (2 of which we were able to get at around 60% off at Kmart) and through Lego we will get the exclusive figure. It was really irking me though being at Toys R Us earlier in the day for the free build and seeing it there for $66.

As far as deception, I happened to be up at midnight yesterday and all it took was three minutes for the 50% off items to sell out. Had Pre-Vizsla in the cart, and was deliberating on the Malevolence as I was never a big fan (the scale is all wrong). Really I was after Dooku and the Governor, the sets are mediocre at best, probably better that I stalled.

The stores I called in the area today, I think only one mentioned having any of the heavily discounted stuff this morning and people moved in quick the minute the doors opened. I might have gotten caught up in the madness myself just for kicks but my son had an early soccer game. All the other stores said they haven't carried these in a while. Even 75025 required driving to a second store.

The Jedi Defender set doesn't look too shabby and the minifigures are a great complement to Revan as someone else had stated. All in all, I figure we'll watch some Star Wars and build tomorrow and forget about this. ;)
    krklint

teal93mr2 said:

Not saying you did, just saying the employees at that store apparently are not adhering to the corp directive on the distribution of the figures.
    That is the bigger issue I take with it. No standards, or enforcement or the standards, not that you got extra ones.. Envious, maybe, but not saying you are evil or anything like that (at least until I hear a Maniacal laugh) .

I think for someone to buy a SandCrawler, you should get a couple of promos, I mean it is 300 bucks, but again I have a good rapport with the employees and try not to ruffle feathers
    Hahaha! No I just get one for own personal collection. I don't really ever order online from [email protected] for the reasons described over and over in this thread.

All that being said, I am in total agreement with you on your Sandcrawler point. Would it really kill them to give away one extra? I doubt that many stores will sell out of the figure this year. I recall a couple years ago (not sure about which promotion, but it was a $75 non-star wars event), where I was spending about $170 and the clerk gave me two polys. You are right, great customer service can go a long way. TLG really seems to be declining in this area as of late. Sales must be that good!
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    ^ I think I speak for us all when I say there would be absolutely no frustration if one was to show up in May 4th, make a qualifying purchase of SW items, and find out the store has no more Darth Revan figs since they gave multiples to people with large purchases or who made several checkouts the day before. It's just good customer service...

Can't have it both ways. I find no fault in TLG choosing to enforce the terms that are clearly disclosed.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    It's kind of interesting that over the past several years TLG treated European countries shabbily; now it's the US's turn. I wonder what's up with the inequity from TLG? Based on the past year, I guess this is now the new norm for USA AFOLs.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited May 2014
    goshe7 said:

^ I think I speak for us all when I say there would be absolutely no frustration if one was to show up in May 4th, make a qualifying purchase of SW items, and find out the store has no more Darth Revan figs since they gave multiples to people with large purchases or who made several checkouts the day before. It's just good customer service...

Can't have it both ways. I find no fault in TLG choosing to enforce the terms that are clearly disclosed.

I'm trying to figure out if you're being sarcastic or not. If you are not being sarcastic, then I think you speak for a very, very few of us in that scenario.

Btw, @Mandalorian_Builder‌, when you swapped your sets for Revan, didn't you have to give up your 2x VIP point bonus as a result?
    teal93mr2
    ^ I agree. Since when has a B&M store ever run out of polys for an event (early on of course, not at the end of a month)? I think i's a small price to pay for TLG to support it's AFOL group.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    It's weird that there is so much support for TLG during a time in which it has shown none towards it's very loyal fan base. Just shows how loyal AFOLs really are.
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    edited May 2014
    I held out on the little SW sets just for the minifig promotion to get past $75. I was able to score the %50 B-Wing last year(TRU) but I think that was a rare deal since the set wasn't going anywhere. Sales are weak but I've only been back into Lego past 2 years so if there was crazy deals before this on [email protected] I would like to know. xD
    Dougout said:

It's weird that there is so much support for TLG during a time in which it has shown none towards it's very loyal fan base. Just shows how loyal AFOLs really are.

There is a difference between showing support (most people here think the sale sucks, and the stingy ways of TLG to also suck so not seeing much "support") and debating the accusations of wrong doing that everyone claims are so rampant with this sale.

They advertised a sale, had stuff on sale, had the dates and times of the sale posted, sold out due to popularity (not talking the 50% clearance items but since they are sold out online of a few of the sale items this is valid) and there are complaints that a "may the 4th"sale wont even have the sale items available.

Like I said above, welcome to every other sale imaginable. Black Friday door busters? You mean the 5 they had on hand that the first 5 people through the door bought? All we usually here there is "I was too late and they were sold out, awe shucks" not "I've been cheated and they deceived me". It's just kind of ridiculous.
    edited May 2014
    goshe7 said:

For what it is worth, LEGO apparently limited the number of Revans to each store, due to the lackluster demand of the Hoth Han (it could not becasue the figure was bad, no it must have been too many available.. yeah that is it). At least that is what I heard from one of the employees at the store
    Still, for larger purchases like an Ewok Village or Sandcrawler it would be nice for two. I'm not saying some one going into a store and buys 10 Sandcrawlers so they could get X figures, but just if the set is x or over, you get two. That would stop a bit of any abuse I think.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^^Black Friday is a death trap, I'll stay in and order everything I need during cyber monday. That comment wasn't directed at you, and I don't feel like arguing about if this is a sale or not. I have the sandcrawler which I planned on grabbing since last month. I'm happy with it, it's all I needed for today. It would have been nice not to get 4 e-mails advertising a star wars sale from TLG over the past week, but I'll know what to expect from now on.

goshe7 said:

I'm trying to figure out if you're being sarcastic or not. If you are not being sarcastic, then I think you speak for a very, very few of us in that scenario.

Btw, @Mandalorian_Builder‌, when you swapped your sets for Revan, didn't you have to give up your 2x VIP point bonus as a result?
    I sure didn't. The store manager simply wrote "GWP" (gift with purchase) and initialed it. I was willing to lose out on the double points since it only equalled ten bucks, but I definitely wasn't going to point it out since she didn't actually ring it through.

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939

I think the sale was a crock, and very deceptive.

"Revenge of the [email protected]"? TLG seem to have some Sith-like qualities at the moment.

I find the "one Revan per household" term to be ridiculous, Some people would be willing to make maybe five eligible orders and pay more for items than could be got elsewhere to get those Revans. Why would TLG want to limit the availability of a £2.50 polybag (if it were on general sale) when it will cost them so much in retail sales? For every non-exclusive set they sell themselves, they must be at least doubling or tripling their profits selling directly vs selling to Argos, Smyths etc at a likely 40% of RRP for them to sell on (even considering the logistical savings of selling in vast bulk).

On the other hand, who needs 5 Revans for themselves? I'd consider it a back-handed discount to sell them on later. If TLG have severely limited the supply of Revans vs previous years, they could do very well in the aftermarket.

Honestly, I think the reason we are all sore with Lego is due to other recent actions. Lego has been showing its corporate colors a lot this past year, and I think what is really at the bottom of all the animosity is the blocking of exclusives as sale items (and going as far as to tell other retailers they can't). There was a UCS set on sale for 50% off last year, that's kind of a big deal, but I really don't think it's to be expected.

I can recall an after Christmas sale a few years back (City Garage was out) when almost everything discounted was already sold out and hearing the complaints then too.
    Yellowcastledougtsyoupunk
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,308
    If [email protected] is guilty of anything, it was putting the Malevolence, Desert Skiff, and other items on sale back in March and mostly selling out of them then. They could have put off the 50% off Palpatine's Arrest until now too if they wanted to make May the 4th more special too.
    bluedragonTXLegoguy
    I wasn't even aware of this sale back in March. How much of a discount was there?
    Palpatine's Arrest sold out with a $20 discount. Odd considering Toys R Us regularly puts it around $75.
    ^ That is the power of Revan (or really any freebie). Plus most people feel cheated by TRU even when stuff is on sale so that may play into it as well.
    Yellowcastle
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 350
    I got Palpatine's Arrest for half price back in March. It would have been smarter for them to hold this set as well as others back for this event, but obviously they would rather clear out the old sets ASAP rather than foster any good will between themselves and Star Wars LEGO fans on May 4th by having sufficient stock of the 50% off.

If the three sets that were supposed to be available for this sale as well as PA were available in quantities that allowed for them to be on sale for more than a few minutes, don't you think that most would be excited about the discounts and singing LEGO's praises? I know it would have enticed me to buy.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    edited May 2014
    I don't fault TLG for flexing their corporate muscles, but they could have organized the May 4th event better. The one per household Revan is ridiculous. I would have set aside enough Revans to allow for more than 1 per household/purchase on May 4th (Only for VIP's) and enforce the 1 per household through the rest of the sale.

I personally don't condone circumventing purchase limits and have never done it myself, but the lack of enforcement for TLG's "rules" makes me more inclined to do so.
    TXLegoguy
    ^--That is the biggest issue IMO . There is no consistency in LEGOs policies. Some people get this figure without buying SW LEGO, most do not, some may get this online doing the same, some probably won't, some will buy online multiple times and probably get a Darth Revan each time, most will not. Some will go to a store and get a Darth Revan for every 75 spent, some will not... It is utterly ridiculous to have polices if you hear/see loopholes everywhere. Or when you have stores that are apparently still not enforcing the policy, but yet apparently do not get into trouble for it.
    Just asking for consistency here LEGO.
    TXLegoguy
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I'd prefer leniency over consistency. Consistent leniency best of all. TLG certainly doesn't need any more encouragement to be draconian.
    TXLegoguypharmjodBrickDancer
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited May 2014
    As an AFOL, I am not loyal to TLG...I am loyal to my wife first, my wallet second, and our local Lego Store Manager third!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

P.S. To qualify, I view our local Lego Store Manager differently than TLG due to the relationship. Donnell is awesome!
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 776
    Donnell is a cool dude. I worked a grand opening event with him and he is awesome. Too bad the store events don't ask for fan assistance any longer.
    ^Yeah...I worked the grand opening as well with @Jenni and my daughter, so I probably saw you there.

Donnell and Charlie are both really nice people and I enjoy talking to them when I am actually able to make it into the Nashville store. The other Lego B&M manager I've met and really like as well is Gail at Stonebriar Mall in Frisco, TX. I remember her helping me try to locate a couple Series 9 CMFs I couldn't find. Great people all around.

I would make more trips up to the store if there were deals to be had, but I can't afford to drive two hours round trip with nothing to show for it.
  • emmtwosixemmtwosix Member Posts: 80
    edited May 2014
    With the sales the way they've been from TLG, I'm beginning to think they have no choice in the matter if they want to keep their current business model.

Their MSRP is the same regardless of who is selling it. They supply retailers who sell it for the same price, and often lower than suggested, on a regular basis just to keep up with the competition. Lego is obviously selling these sets to retailers for considerably less than their suggested price since the retailers, too, have to make a profit. The question then becomes, how much (or little) is Lego making on sets sold to retailers and are they able to thrive on these sales alone?

Because of the cheaper prices they have to give retailers, direct-to-consumer sales are really what may bolster their profit margins. Even though these quantities are probably far less than the sales numbers they have with retailers, the increased revenue collected per set sold first hand may make more of a difference. In addition to this, they may have certain contract restrictions with retailers on what kind of sales they can place on which sets. Retail sales may mostly be considered advertising from a business perspective.

Mostly speculation, though. I don't have any insider information, just thought I'd throw in my two ¢
  • gt182237gt182237 Member Posts: 31
    My lego store was out of Revan's by 10:45 this morning. Which is pretty sad cuz the actual minifig was available for only 45 min on the actual 4th.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,906
    I have no idea what private investors the LEGO Group has, but since it is not a publicly traded company the pressure for obscene profits shouldn't be as great. Perhaps the new business model is the only way to stay afloat, but I doubt it. Someone is likely wanting as much profit as possible. That is ok though, as long as they realize it may bite them down the road. Only time will tell.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    My two Friday 12:02am May 4th sale orders have arrived, both over $75 of Star Wars and both with Darth Revan and Star Wars poster. I am in US.