Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Customising CMF rabbit suit guy ears - best way to paint/dye?

bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
Hey all.

I'm wanting to make a minifig Frank from Donnie Darko (the rabbit suit guy), and the only rabbit ears I believe are available to me are the white ones from CMF Bunny Suit Guy.

Can someone please tell me if these ears rubbery, like some Simpsons CMF heads, or hard plastic?
I was thinking of using some model paint — I've heard good things about Citadel paints by Games Workshop. I've read about a bunch of different methods, opinions, techniques for painting Lego, but nothing seems definitive. Can anyone chime in with some advice? I trust you lot more than the greater interwebs.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    I did this for exactly the same reasona couple of years ago. They are regular hard ABS, so can be dyed. Just dye them in RIT dye (see the dye thread), and the print still shows through.

They don't make a very good Donnie Darko rabbit though. He is still too cute looking, even with a scarier face.
  • bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for the info. Would you be willing to show me your attempt before I embark on my own? I'm thinking of using Skeleton Black with Evil Skull, and the body from either CMF Vampire Bat or the new Scratchy CMF. It looks scary enough in my mind :S
    Now that I think about it, I can make some 'realistic' Donnie Darko ears using some Sugru I have lying around in the fridge…
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    The only other bunny ears I can think of are on the Nestquick bunny but he's like $40 last time I checked.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    edited April 2014
    The dye thread is here in case it is not so easy to find...

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/818/changing-the-color-of-bricks/p1

I no longer have the part. I wasn't too happy with it and it has long since been used for further experimentation (using acetone to permanently bend the ears).

One thing to watch out for if using a hot dye for headgear is do not get it too hot. It can change size slightly, which is not too bad for the headgear itself, but bad for the grips that hold the headgear in place. Any expansion here and the headgear is too loose, and contraction and it will not fit on at all.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I made a non-dyed Donnie Darko bunny guy using this Lucious Malfoy double-sided head:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=3626bpb488
    edited April 2014
    ^^ Thanks for the tip. Greatly appreciated.
    ^ What did you do for the ears?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Just left it as is, since I don't believe in modding pieces. Bit of a compromise on color, but the point gets across once you see that Deatheater face peeking out from the head piece.