Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What goes well with the modular buildings?

noclistnoclist Downtown Cleveland, yoMember Posts: 30
I'll try this again without asking for personal recommendations. What do you guys think goes well with the height/size of the modular buildings? Also, does anyone have good methods of creating streets without using the street baseplates?

Comments

• Bluefairy_56Bluefairy_56 Member Posts: 320
    Painting a ply board base with also work for your base.

I'm not sure about size with modulars, as the only building I have ever built is the Haunted House, and I am not sure of its size compared to the modulars.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    The modular houses scale was originally designed by LEGO fans for LEGO train displays. So if you have the money and space to go big, you can add some trains.

Other Creator Expert Builder sets can also go well with the modulars. Like for example the upcoming Fairground Mixer. You could create a park somewhere in your LEGO modular city and have the fairground set up in there.

You don't have to add big things though. You can also just add things like buses, cars, garbage trucks, pedestrians, bikers, small street-vendors, etc. I think The LEGO Movie ice-cream truck and plumer van would also be a nice addition.

I have also seen people change their modular city seasonally; like add white elements as snow and Christmas decorations in the winter, etc. Or even play out different scenerios like a zombie attack or something.

Street baseplates are probably the cheapest method to add realistic streets with LEGO, but you can also just have the streets painted. Also, I have seen peopel using sideways building methods to build streets, but for a whole modular town that would end up being very expensive. Personally I would just go with the baseplates, or just using a printed or painted street on a large piece of paper or directly on a wood base or shelf.

Hope this helps some...(c;

• CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    Have you decided what year it is in your modular city? Once you decided on that it will determine which vehicles you can ad to make it look more complete. Going by the vehicles in palace cinema and fire brigade. I would say adding the two cars from Indiana Jones Shanghai chase would be nice.

For roads I recommend reading this thread

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/11660/brick-built-roads-what-works-best
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    Maybe this is really obvious but no-one's said it yet in this thread so... all the great vehicles are a good scale for them.
    And it might be difficult to get enough of them, but the 8x16 dark grey tiles would make up good road surfaces if you can boost the height of the modulars.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,081
    Not to be a smart @$$, but my recommendation is more Modulars! I've added levels to many of mine to given them added height. Cafe Corner looks terrific with 2 extra levels and does Grand Emporium. 1 extra level for Pet Shop (both sides) and the building 1/2 of Market Street make them more interesting. Also, there are many great MOC designs on Ebay (and other places like Brick Fairy charity thread) that are for sale.

Most City vehicles also fit nicely.
    indigobox
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    If you decide your city is set in 'modern' times, then I'd say most recent City-theme vehicles will go with it (scale-wise, at least). If you decide it's set in the 30s-50s (as @CupIsHalfEmpty‌ is suggesting, and as the fire engine and limousine in the fire station and cinema would suggest), not only would the two cars he mentioned work (they're probably the best), but you would be able to use vehicles (only slightly modified) from the rest of Indiana Jones, Adventurers and even Pharaoh's Quest and Monster Fighters if you don't mind modifying them more heavily.

The other vehicle that pops into my mind is the 50's style pick-up truck that came in the second of the exclusive Christmas sets last year.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,081
    There's a nice hotrod style car in #60048 (Police dog unit) that goes well with the 30's-50's theme.
  • noclistnoclist Downtown Cleveland, yoMember Posts: 30
    Thanks guys, I'm thinking more of other buildings to add. Do any of the Creator houses (Family House, Seaside House, etc.) stack up well with the modulars?
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 742
    We normally create a suburb section of our town when we set it up using Creator houses. #5891, #31012 with #31010 in the garden, #4996, #4956 and #4954. I think it works.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    How about the buildings from #60026 Town Square or #60031 City Corner? They could be slightly small compared to the modulars, but not many regular City buildings are larger, apart from Police or Fire Stations.
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    My modular street is currently suffering an attack from the Galaxy Squaf bugs, as they are what I'm currently building. It is actually working quite well, but finding sufficient terrified faces is proving tricky!
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I think a mobile carnival ride would go great with modulars.

No, wait...
    Pitfall69Bumblepants