Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[Fairy Bricks] Where is the big raffle?

SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
edited April 2014 in Community and Events
That is a question I've been asked a number of times over the last week.

Quite simply it is coming as soon as possible but we are moving the entry away from PayPal and onto another donation giving platform. Before we can register on one of those sites though we need some approval from the UK taxman. That has been applied for and it's just a waiting game now.

I'm sorry for the delay but it shouldn't be long. Once it's all set up there will be around a week for people to offer prizes (there are already some crackers) before moving onto ticket buying, totalizer climbing prize winning shenanigans.
CCCrichosidersddBastaLostInTranslationcheshirecatalexwilcarlqCupIsHalfEmptyCapnRex101indigoboxmessyJenniGothamConstructionCoSupersympacaperberryBumblepantsdrdavewatfordLegoKipBooTheMightyHamsterkempo81princedraven

Comments

• richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    Sounds great Kev, I'll sort you out a prize no probs.
    SirKevbags
  • LosimagicLosimagic UKMember Posts: 397
    Just out of interest, why are you moving away from paypal?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,951
    yay!
    SirKevbags
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,296
    edited April 2014
    Excellent! I have some prizes lined up already!
    Come on, Mr Taxman!

/prods
    cheshirecatindigoboxSirKevbags
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    @Losimagic‌ first up for transparency and second, technically using PayPal for such transactions is a breach of their terms and conditions. Operating as an organisation is very different to an individual, not just PayPal but with everything.
    @TheCableGuy‌ fantastic work mate. Drop me an email if you can remember names from the picture.
    Off topic but seeing that pic reminds me of how much I love that monkey set. I think we have given around 25 away so far this year. It's such a fun set and ideal for hospitals. Good value, appeals to both boys and girls and has tremendous play value. Mr Monkey has so much personality.
    carlqprincedraven
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,043

Apologies for the lack of photography talent.

You captured the staff smiling and more importantly the kid happily ogling one of the best sets of the year. Isn't that the whole point? So it's a perfectly taken shot. :-)
    SirKevbagsTheCableGuycarlqStormKittyJenniLostInTranslation
    Yep I would agree with the above assessment. Fantastic picture ☺
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,296
    Any news, SirKev?
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 914
    Wow, seeing that picture has really touched me. This is such a great cause for all the kids. Please update when you can and I'll be sending my WHSmith's vouchers (£5 lego voucher and £5 till voucher) to you guys.
    SirKevbags
    @BooTheMightyHamster‌ We have had letters arrive from HMRC this weekend telling us that things are in progress but nothing beyond that I'm sorry.

@msanders‌ All the donations are fired onto Facebook first and then to our website when I get a chance. It is a wonderful picture though I agree. A little out of the loop on these vouchers but much appreciated.
    @SirKevbags I've just starting following you on facebook. I noticed that you are taking the next Lego donations to Rainbows. I think this is the same charity that my friend swam the channel for last year. This is a charity close to my heart because sadly she lost her life whilst swimming the channel. It is a great cause.
    SirKevbags
    When are you going? I would like to send some Lego donations as well with the WHSmith vouchers.
    SirKevbags
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,533
    At least the delay from the tax man is giving me a bit longer to get the new (and hopefully improved) totalizer ready!
    SirKevbagsBumblepantsJenniCapnRex101StormKittymessyGothamConstructionCocarlq
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,280
    @LostInTranslation‌ - A much taller totalizer I would hope!
    princedravenGothamConstructionCo
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    @SirKevbags‌ As you are aware I am AWOL a lot of the time at present, but if I miss the prize donation window please can you contact me direct as I have a little something that I will donate.
    SirKevbags
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Presumably you're registering properly and its allowing us to Gift Aid donations, etc?
    Charity Commission registration and HMRC registration are very different things and are a separate process.

But yes once HMRC registration comes through we will be able to claim gift aid on donations however that does NOT extend to raffle entries unfortunately.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,938

@SirKevbags‌ As you are aware I am AWOL a lot of the time at present...

An AWOL AFOL?

But seriously, great work with the charity @SirKevbags‌. I will definitely be putting a couple of my hard-earned £s towards your cause!
    SirKevbagsrancorbait
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,533

At least the delay from the tax man is giving me a bit longer to get the new (and hopefully improved) totalizer ready!

Ooooh! Will I finish the totalizer before I also go AWOL (for 2 weeks)?? The deadline is looming....
    StormKittySirKevbagscarlq
    Hi SirKev.

While we're waiting for the wheels of local government to turn at their glacial pace, is there anything we can be doing in the meantime, to speed things up once the flag drops?

Do you want to start putting a list together of prizes for example?

Cheers,

Boo
    Well first the good news......

We now have a license and therefore have permission to sell tickets by electronic methods and over a period of time. It arrived on Friday.

The bad news is we are still awaiting approval from the payment platform. I've held off from starting the prize giving thread so we could straight from that closing and into ticket sales and maintain momentum but I could reverse that decision........
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,280
    This is all just building the tension...
    Well believe me it isn't a grand marketing masterplan. Events are about to be going crazy and I really wanted it completed by now. I can see the draw happening while on tour in Newport!
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited June 2014
    On tour? Like, in a musical? How much for tickets to see that? ;o)
    carlq
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,043

Pence or cents, you choose.
    edited June 2014
    ^How dare you! The market price for the plastic version has been set so clearly the real one must be worth more? How much more of course is open to debate ;)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,951
    I vote for a countdown to the raffle where the prizes slowly get unveiled in escalating value/size. Perhaps a Hype Machine can be built in the vein of the Totaliser? In the words of Emmet "I am so pumped UP!"
    SirKevbagsCapnRex101carlq
    @Bumblepants‌ that is a very good idea :)