6464 "Super Rescue Complex" QUESTION??

steelsteel Member Posts: 12
I just got this set, and I have checked the parts list on Peeron and according to that, it is complete. However, I am unable to build everything? There seems to not be enough vehicle bases for one? Anyone else have this set?

Comments

• LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 480
    After briefly looking at the box and the instructions on Peeron, it looks like there maybe instructions for alternative models. In that case you wouldn't have "enough" parts build everything all at once. BTW only your last sentence is a question, the rest are statements.
  • steelsteel Member Posts: 12
    Well I do appreciate the grammar lesson after all, that is really why I came onto this Lego forum... I guess my questions were "Can I build everything for the set at one time that the instructions show or are the instructions more an ideas booklet?" And "is it likely that the Peeron list is wrong?"
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Looking at the page-by-page instructions on Peeron (http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/scans/6464-1/?ct=1), it looks rather like everything after about p57 are just alternate models which you can make if you dismantle the first models. Basically, if you wanted to make absolutely everything in the instruction book at the same time, you would need two or possibly 3 copies of the set. Alternative models is something which Lego used to promote a lot more than they do now, which is a shame.

I might add that Peeron is a website which is unfortunately no longer being supported/developed, so you'd be better off looking at Bricklink for inventories (despite the fact it's a pain to navigate) or here for instruction scans. It's a bit of a shame, as Peeron was a great resource. That said, if you don't mind the fact that the website is a bit slow and old fashioned, for older sets (pre-2006ish, I think?) it should be fine.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    Peeron's inventories are usually pretty accurate, but like anything else LEGO-related on the 'net they are not perfect. However, I rarely see an inventory on Peeron that is off by more than a couple of parts.

I took a look at the instruction scans on PICSL (Peeron) and I agree with @LusiferSam, there appear to be some instructions for alternate models in the later pages (For example, there seems to be instructions for a flatbed tractor-trailer model that doesn't match the image on the box cover). The "Town Jr." series of sets are not well-loved for many reasons, and I guess we can add "unclear instructions" to that list! Too bad, it's kind of neat that LEGO would include alternate instructions for a non-Technic set (although it makes sense when the set is aimed at a very young audience).
    Oldfan said:

Peeron's inventories are usually pretty accurate, but like anything else LEGO-related on the 'net they are not perfect. However, I rarely see an inventory on Peeron that is off by more than a couple of parts.

Really? I find mistakes all the time. These are major errors, not just a minor extra part or two missing. I don't trust any set that was inventoried from an open set. Those inventoried from instructions at least have a basis in reality, but often incomplete. Particular those that are pre-1980. Mid 90's forward is pretty good and are the most accurate. Any thing older than about 1972 is pretty hit and miss. Some are good, some aren't.

For some examples, I have yet to see a correct inventory for 375. This set has extra pieces seen in models on back of the box, but aren't used in the main model. The inventory for 725 is a nightmare and should have been removed long ago. Read the Lugnet discussion for a taste for the problem. And 15 is a set known only from a [email protected] catalog illustration. The inventory is based on this illustration and nothing else. To date I'm unaware of any seals version or packaging surfacing for this set, yet alone anyone that claims to own a legitimate version of this (i.e. not an assembled version from parts). I don't think there is enough known about this set to really say anything about it.

I might add that Peeron is a website which is unfortunately no longer being supported/developed.

Really?? Do you know why?? :-(

steel said:

I might add that Peeron is a website which is unfortunately no longer being supported/developed.

Really?? Do you know why?? :-(

I think it's just a matter of the owner having moved on (or not having time) or something. It's a bit sad to see such a resource being left to rot, but there are other sites which have inventories.
    The short version is the owners are no longer interested in the site. I don't know whether the details I heard are true or not, as such I don't want to spread disinformation. People's interests evolve and change over time. When you consider that the site is over 16 years old it's a amazing that it has lasted that long.
    What other inventory sites can you recommend?
    Here (Brickset.com), Rebrickable, Bricklink, to name a few. This was discussed in depth here: http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/275376#Comment_275376

There are plenty of other sites to be going on, don't worry. :-)
    BrickLink is currently the best in my opinion. It's better organized in my opinion and faster than Peeron. At times Peeron can be unbelievably slow.

Rebrickable is really your only other option. The site has some major issues. It only goes back to mid 70's, BrickLink and Peeron go back to early 50s. It doesn't tell you who or how the sets were inventoried. There are numerous and major mistakes in the inventories. The site is more setup more around MOCs and as such can be hard to navigate at times. But it's being actively developed, so there are constant improvements being made.