Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Arguable Minifigures (whether they are minifigs or not)

bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
I have noticed that there are multiple minifigures that are arguable whether they should count as minifig or just a brick build or part. Here are some arguable minifigures that I have found.

Han Solo in Carbonite (old, the new one is obviously an accessory) -included in set: #4476

All astromech droids (R2-D2 etc.) -included in set: #4475

Almost all of the brick built droids -included in set: #10144

Battle droids and battle droid like figures -included in set: #3343

Emperor's hologram (1x2x5 brick variant) -included in set: #6211

Plankton -included in set: #4981

Droidekas -included in set: #7203

Aldar Beeto -included in set: #7186

Sebulba (old and new variant) -included in set: #7171 (old) #7962 (new)

Skeleton -included in set: #4817

These are some of the many arguable minifigures out there. In the comments put down which ones you think are minifigs and which ones arn't. Also put down other arguable minifigs that you may know of.

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,010
    edited April 2014
    Minifigures are where my collecting started so I went through quite a bit of deciding what I wanted to count as a minifigure. I think that a lot of people like to just use the standard minifigure as a definition but I came to the decision that any representation of a character is what falls into my definition. Although they might not always be Minifigures by the strictest definition it's the characters that drew me them. I do use the term big figs for hulk types, brick builds for brick builts and micro figures for any single stud single piece moulded characters I generally categorise them in the general as Minifigures.
    bobabrickscarlqpastelnerd
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    @shib I have the same opinion :)
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,292
    I think lego has a certain number of parts that are standard minifigure parts that are required for a figure to qualify as a minifigure.... there is something stated in the big minifigure book that came out along these lines. Personally I don't see why any character figure is not a minifigure.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    I may be against the grain, but my personal opinion is that brick built characters, large molded characters and Minifigures should fall in the same category. Now I don't think that category should be called "Minifigures", as to me a Minifigure should contain at least 1 of the three standard parts: head, torso, or legs.

So in my perfect world, the Brickset tab called "Minifigures" would actually be called "Characters" (or something similar) and would contain both minifigs, large molded characters and brick built characters.

and just to add to your original post, why are all the Classic Space Droids under Minifigures?

http://brickset.com/minifigs/sp070/Classic-Space-Droid-Set-1968
    http://brickset.com/minifigs/sp073/Classic-Space-Droid-Set-6872
    http://brickset.com/minifigs/sp074/Classic-Space-Droid-Set-6891
    http://brickset.com/minifigs/sp075/Classic-Space-Droid-Set-6931
    etc...

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    The classic droids really don't make sense why they are minifiures, they are just random bricks put together, no special pieces. Then again some of those pieces could have been new and exclusive parts back in the 80's but today we just see them as regular, average joe parts today...

Either way they are just parts that could be dug out of your Lego bin where even the brick built droids in #10144 have special parts to them.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,230
    What would these be classified as?
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Mini: denoting a miniature version of something.

Figure (figurine): a statuette, esp. one of a human form.

Minifigure: A miniature version of a statuette, esp. one of a human form

;o)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited April 2014
    What happens if you replace one of the parts with a new part, are the figures origi...forget it, wrong thread :)

@Pitfall69‌, that 3rd one is nightmare fuel.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,230
    edited April 2014
    Hahahaha. Don't get that started here too ;)

Yeah, that is why I threw Gasgano in there :)