Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New Set Rumors

Comments

• iamterryiamterry Member Posts: 159
    I'd love a moomin set - fond memories as a child watching that tv series, ditto with Tintin. (Tintin being a set that would almost certainly get my wife stealing it to build instead!)
  • thelimeythelimey Member Posts: 52
    Meccano have/had the Tintin license so something would have to change there but I think it'd work well in Lego form. As much as I loved Asterix as a kid I'm not sure the characters would work as minifigures as the characters are very dynamically drawn. I'd agree that they'd do well in western Europe but would struggle to sell in the US & elsewhere, especially Asterix
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,023
    Pitfall69 said:

I am 42 years old and have never heard of Asterisk or Moomins. I have no idea what the Adventures of TinTin is either, although I have heard of it.

Asterisk is a little star *

Asterix is this guy

I'm 43 and I have never watched a whole game of NBA basketball, yet lego still did this ...

It is a shame they don't do more regional type sets, but I guess this is the downside of global businesses. It is a one product fits all approach.

Doesn't another brand have the Smurfs license?

Yes, mega bloks. Some of our friends' kids have some. The figures are not too bad.

FollowsClosely
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,238
    edited June 2014
    thelimey said:

. As much as I loved Asterix as a kid I'm not sure the characters would work as minifigures as the characters are very dynamically drawn.

The same is true of simpsons but it didn't stop them
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    I liked the old basket ball theme, I wish Lego did more real life type stuff with real people.
  • JohnnyfinlandiaJohnnyfinlandia Member Posts: 358
    edited June 2014
    KingDave said:

The 'classic' Moomin cartoon was a Japanese/Dutch co-production. This is why it was and is still popular in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomin#TV_series_and_films

.. er and Finland where it is Tove Jansson's 100th Anniversary this year (the creator of Moomins) .. Big industry here especially mugs ;)

https://www.moomin.com/en/characters

Moomin Lego would be unreal ;) Lots of cool characters but not a worldwide brand :(
    monkey
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 965
    ^ Although I knew it was a European/Japanese production, I was going off wikipedia a bit. I was talking about who paid for and produced the animated series, not the original creator.
  • preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 91

While we're at it, we could hope for some Asterix Lego sets.

That would be awesome. Plus the army builders out there would love the Roman legions!

minicoopers11
  • minicoopers11minicoopers11 USAMember Posts: 104
    You had me at Roman legion. I just went from knowing nothing about Asterix to wanting it in production IMMEDIATELY.
  • ArtfulDodgerArtfulDodger Member Posts: 105
    Great thing about the Asterix series is that it regularly takes place all over the world. For instance, there is one book where Asterix meets Cleopatra, another where he goes to Scotland, and another where he goes to the New World. I can imagine a set for each book in the series.
    Man, now I want to make a moc of the Gaul's village...
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226

Yes.. nothing says fun to kids like pretending to have to go to school.

Friends did a school. One of my favourite Friends sets. It's even modular!
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,822

Mega Bloks had it last I checked. Though of course, the LEGO Group has acquired licenses formerly held by Mega Bloks in the past — Pirates of the Caribbean, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and various super hero licenses were once held by Mega Bloks but are now held by the LEGO Group. The reverse is also true, since Mega Bloks now has the Spongebob Squarepants license, the Thomas the Tank Engine license, and the Dora the Explorer license, three licenses which the LEGO Group once held. Once a licensing contract is up there's nothing to stop the licensor from jumping ship.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    CCC said:

Pitfall69 said:

I am 42 years old and have never heard of Asterisk or Moomins. I have no idea what the Adventures of TinTin is either, although I have heard of it.

Asterisk is a little star *

Asterix is this guy

I'm 43 and I have never watched a whole game of NBA basketball, yet lego still did this ...

It is a shame they don't do more regional type sets, but I guess this is the downside of global businesses. It is a one product fits all approach.

Yes, mega bloks. Some of our friends' kids have some. The figures are not too bad.

Sorry. Autocorrect.

I had to comment because my father has the same Paul Pierce Minifigure sitting on a shelf next to his Jeter signed baseball. I have NEVER watched a soccer game all the way through or a hockey game, yet Lego put out soccer AND Hockey sets.

JohnnyfinlandiaPaperballparkTheBigLegoski
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited June 2014
    ^During the World Cup?

*shakes head*

Ooh, that's just not cricket... ;oP
    carlq
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,878
    Personally, I would like to see micro-built NFL or Soccer Stadiums with stickers would be incredible. Another way for LEGO to expand its audience.
    Pitfall69
    legomatt said:

^During the World Cup?

*shakes head*

Ooh, that's just not cricket... ;oP

Yes buddy. Watching soccer for me is excruciatingly boring. Also, I know know how LeBron James learned to flop so well ;)
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,375
    Asterix sets would be great. 30+ books, half a dozen films - animated and live action. I even think there is a new film out this year?

Think of all those roman figures, oh the army building fun. So many sets, roman forts, pirate ships, the village and as said the possibility of sets representing almost every country in the world.

Big fun.
    Matthew
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,791
    There are two lego Asterix on lego ideas at the moment. This is the better one https://ideas.lego.com/projects/11770
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,426

Yes.. nothing says fun to kids like pretending to have to go to school.

Friends did a school. One of my favourite Friends sets. It's even modular!
    @caperberry That was my statement originally and I stand by it. You are neither a child nor a girl, judging by your icon.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited June 2014
    CCC said:

Although presumably you watched the girls at school playing Netball. Pretty much the same thing :-p

@Pitfall69 From someone coming from the place that gives us Baseball how can you say soccer is dull. 3 hours of watching people not hit a ball or if they do its more often than not a foul ball and when they rarely hit it in the right direction its almost always caught. Then when they do hit it they are later found to have been taking a cocktail of drugs.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 863
    ^at least a team wins in baseball :).

Just kidding, I love soccer too.
    FollowsClosely

CCC said:

Although presumably you watched the girls at school playing Netball. Pretty much the same thing :-p

@Pitfall69 From someone coming from the place that gives us Baseball how can you say soccer is dull. 3 hours of watching people not hit a ball or if they do its more often than not a foul ball and when they rarely hit it in the right direction its almost always caught. Then when they do hit it they are later found to have been taking a cocktail of drugs.
    Beer helps.
    ^ Does a team win or is everyone a looser? That's a chunk of their life they aren't getting back. :-p
  • ArtfulDodgerArtfulDodger Member Posts: 105

There are two lego Asterix on lego ideas at the moment. This is the better one https://ideas.lego.com/projects/11770

That one seems a bit chaotic, and doesn't seem to feature the main characters (Asterix, Obelisx). I'd like to see a modified Hagrid as Obelisx with the distinctive pants.

I also saw a Muppets Lego mod out there that would probably do gang-busters as a Minifigure series.
    Pitfall69
    @cheshirecat‌
    I am a huge American Football fan. Baseball isn't even a close second. I played both sports as a in my youth. Baseball is indeed boring to watch most of the time, but I enjoyed playing it more than watching it.
    ^I am that way with all sports...I have 0 time for sitting around watching people play a game, but I'll happily play a game
    Pitfall69TheBigLegoski
    If anyone knows who "Triumph the Dog" is; they did a thing on the World Cup last night on the Conan O'Brien show. Some parts I laughed out loud.

Anyway, I like what @CCC mentioned earlier about regional sets. Some of the soccer sets were only released in Europe and the Team GB Minifigures were regional, although some showed up in Canada.
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    I'm with Bob Marley. Cricket, lovely cricket... as long as you've got all week!
    They'd have to pick themes very carefully though or risk really annoying people who are fans of something thats exclusive to a different region.
    I wasn't that bothered about the NBA sets. They didn't interest me and I didn't buy them.

Cricket is about as interesting as baseball for me. So if they released cricket sets in the UK, I'd avoid them too. Although I might bricklink a few cricket bats to kill zombies.
    I really can't see TLG doing a cricket theme...kids generally don't enjoy watching cricket - I'm sure there would be a few but not many. Plus I imagine they'd rather do sets that would work for continents, I have no idea how much interest there is in cricket in the rest of Europe, but I'm under the impression that it's biggest interest comes from the UK, Australia, South Africa and India. But I'm sure a lot of people would love cricket bats just for the Shaun of the dead potential.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,485

'Soccer' is boring. 90 minutes of grown men wusses running around a field, occasionally writhing around in 'agony' when someone taps their leg. That's if they've not already been bitten by one of the other so-called 'role models'.

I love Baseball. Sure you don't often get hits, but if you did it wouldn't be Baseball. Would you want every football match to end 20 - 15? Of course not. A game that ends 1-0 can be just as tense and interesting - if not more so, than a game that ends 9-3. And I'm sure that applies to football as well.

Indeed, a no-hitter is actually more exciting and tension-filled than a game where there are hits from both sides - because it's so rare, the fans actually want it to see it happen when it looks like it might be on.

At the end of the day, they're completely different games, and everyone will have their own preference. But, if you slag off my favourite ball game, I'll slag off yours ;)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,822
    Baseball is probably the most globally-relevant sport besides football/soccer. However, it is also one that would be next to impossible to recreate in LEGO. The gameplay is too three-dimensional for that, I think. I'm glad we have the CMFs to give us minifigures of sports like this that would not make for very good themes on their own.

At the end of the day, they're completely different games, and everyone will have their own preference. But, if you slag off my favourite ball game, I'll slag off yours ;)

It's not football, it's rugby. Telling me that a no hitter is exciting isn't selling the excitement of a ball game though.

• SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Baseball "globally relevant", don't just Americans play it?
    TheBigLegoskiXefan
    Aanchir said:

Baseball is probably the most globally-relevant sport besides football/soccer.

How? As I understand it the top five watched and played sports are, football (soccer), cricket, basketball, hockey (not ice) and tennis in that order. Cricket is probably there solely due to indias enormous population but even so it has a much wider geographic spread than baseball which is little more than the US, Japan and a couple of islands. The other four sports in that list truly are global.

You could go with revenue but that isn't global relevance.
    TheBigLegoski
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    Golf is another game that's pretty popular Globally.

I went to a baseball game when I visited New York, it was ok but certainly not something I could watch repeatedly. I think it's a bit too long for me. Cricket is probably my least favourite sport though.

Is football/soccer big in the states?
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    football/soccer is in the top 20, but by no means widely popular, it is rising however.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Aanchir said:

Baseball is probably the most globally-relevant sport besides football/soccer.

Basketball says hello

• SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited June 2014
    ^^Football is number one with 3.5 billion fans
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited June 2014

football/soccer is in the top 20, but by no means widely popular, it is rising however.

depends on how you rank. money? TV viewers? attendance? merchandise? youth teams?

I'd probably peg Football (Soccer) as 5th in the United States, after American Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Ice Hockey. But I think Lacrosse is gaining fast as well. Important to note that the gap from 3rd to 4th is pretty huge, no matter whether you put soccer, hockey, or lacrosse in that 4th spot.

Note I'm not including individual sports. Golf would rank pretty darn high otherwise. Tennis has dropped off a ton in the last decade since it's been that long since we've had a relevant male American tennis star.
    I meant in the US, world wide there is no contest, but in the States its only just now reached into top 20.
    I think you are all forgetting about the significance if that grand old sport Quidditch!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Pitfall69MatthewRainstorm26TheBigLegoski
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    There was an article on a UK news site yesterday regarding the rise in popularity of football/soccer in the US. They interviewed someone from the US who commented that the World Cup is now a bigger event in the US than March Madness (college basketball tournament). This must have been a joke that the interviewer failed to pick up on.
    dougts said:

depends on how you rank. money? TV viewers? attendance? merchandise? youth teams?

I'd probably peg Football (Soccer) as 5th in the United States, after American Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Ice Hockey. But I think Lacrosse is gaining fast as well. Important to note that the gap from 3rd to 4th is pretty huge, no matter whether you put soccer, hockey, or lacrosse in that 4th spot.

Note I'm not including individual sports. Golf would rank pretty darn high otherwise. Tennis has dropped off a ton in the last decade since it's been that long since we've had a relevant male American tennis star.

so I had to investigate this a bit more, and as it stands Soccer is 5th, all sports (individual or team) in the States! did not realize it has had such a resurgence. TV spots and team value is still lacking severely though.
    dougts said:

Important to note that the gap from 3rd to 4th is pretty huge, no matter whether you put soccer, hockey, or lacrosse in that 4th spot.

I think ice hockey is pretty firmly in 4th with a similarly huge drop to whatever is in 5th place. It's regularly in the media during the season and team brands are relatively prevalent on apparel, bumper stickers, etc.

I don't mean to turn this into a discussion about new set rumors, but did anyone see this?

It was posted on HothBricks. I wonder if it's a tie-in with the Exo-Suit. I can't say I'd be too disappointed if it weren't released in the US, but it would make me more likely to buy the Exo-Suit directly from LEGO.
    Pitfall69AanchircarlqchuckpplasmodiumTheBigLegoski
    ^ You mean the thing that was mentioned on the front page of Brickset (in UK News) a few days ago? ;)

Believe it or not, Baseball does have quite a dedicated little following in the UK, people just don't realise it because virtually none of the games are televised here.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959

^ You mean the thing that was mentioned on the front page of Brickset (in UK News) a few days ago? ;)

Can you link please? I can't seem to find it...

Ah, thanks. As a USian, I'm apparently not subscribed to that category by default.

Can you link please? I can't seem to find it...

It's actually under the "shop.lego.com (General)" category.

joel4motion
    ^ My mistake, sorry.