Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Where to find dark trans blue 1x2s in high quanity?

technicaltacticstechnicaltactics Member Posts: 47
edited June 2012 in Building and Techniques
Where can I find these? I have seen many great moccers out there with so many of these, I want in on the fun too! Where can I go about getting these without paying atrocious prices on Bricklink?

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,295
    Join a AFOL club and get them through LUGBulk?
  • technicaltacticstechnicaltactics Member Posts: 47
    May I have a link to LUGbulk's website (If there is one)? Or could someone direct me to where I can get parts from LUGbulk? I am an older TFOL, and am not in a LUG, so think they'ed still let me order through them? I am really desperate for these parts.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 801
    I think they had these in the PAB wall, didn't they? I seem to remember these being pretty widely available at one point-- maybe because of 5526 and 5524?

As for LUGBULK, it's only really available to LUGs-- and in the USA, it's only available once per year (each LUG gets to order via LUGBULK once per year). Not sure if it's the same elsewhere. Anyway, I would recommend BrickLink.

DaveE
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Please also note that there are very strict requirements set by LEGO to participate in LUGBULK. Thus, your LUG may expect you to be an active member for a while before they extend you an invitation to participate in a LUGBULK buy. I agree with Dave in that Bricklink or PAB are your best bets.
  • technicaltacticstechnicaltactics Member Posts: 47
    My local PAB wall has gotten in huge amounts of brown 1x2s and tan 1x4s. I would be interested in trading two full canisters of whichever one you want for 1 or 2 canisters of trans blue 1x2s.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,206
    I've noticed a disturbing tendency, in the UK at least, for PAB walls to be full of bigger pieces, with hardly any smaller stuff - 1x1 or 1x2 bricks, plates or tiles - ever available. These smaller parts are great for filling up the gaps between the bigger pieces when you're packing the cup, and they're also clearly necessary when you actually want to build anything..... So if anyone from LEGO is on here, let's be having some smaller generic elements. I'm not holding my breath, however - I think this is just further evidence that LEGO are trying to walk away from PaB, in the stores at least, as it's a pain to manage. UK PaB walls, and the variety of pieces within them, seem to be shrinking......
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    ^ That's odd, and unfortunate. I've noticed the quality of selection only going up at the store in NYC, but perhaps that's because it's a flagship store. Honestly, the selection at 'normal' stores has always been hit and miss, in my experience. Sometimes there's cool stuff, sometimes there's a lot of basic bricks, but I've almost always seen one or two colors of trans 1x1 round plates in the mix.

I can't see LEGO walking away from the PaB wall - that and the Build-a-Minifig station are the two main draws! Everything else is available elsewhere, and usually cheaper to boot!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,206
    I've spent a fair bit of time in a couple of the UK brand stores over the past 2-3 years and I've never seen 1x1 plates; I don't even recall seeing 1x1, 1x2 or 2x2 tiles. I'd certainly agree that the selection is hit and miss, but the overall PaB experience in UK stores is on a slippery downhill slope IHMO. Interested to hear the thoughts of other folks in the UK, however - maybe I've just been unlucky.
    edited August 2011
    In the USA, it's supposedly up to the store managers to order whatever they want from the available list. However, if the manager doesn't care, LEGO can just ship whatever they feel like sending. ... At least, that's how it was explained to us a few years ago (not sure if it's still the same).

In NELUG, a few of the store managers actually asked us what parts we were most interested in from their catalog-- although that was back in the early years of the LEGO store, like 2003-2005 or so. More recently, I think they've told us that they just opt with whatever LEGO sends.

We typically see a mix of both small and large parts. I'm not sure I've ever been to any of our local stores and NOT seen any elements smaller than a 1x1. Of course, they've had their share of large parts, too-- the funniest of which were some elements (I forget which) that wouldn't even fit a single piece in the large PAB cups!

DaveE
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,871
    When I visited my store (Cleveland) for the first time, I was thoroughly disappointed by the random colors and sizes. Nothing seemed to go together, and they had a wall of maybe 40 parts - not much to bother with IMO. There might have been 1x2, but definitely no 1x1s.
    the funniest of which were some elements (I forget which) that wouldn't even fit a single piece in the large PAB cups!
    I think the elements I'm remembering were these:

DaveE
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    edited August 2011
    ^ I had just about resigned myself to losing 5 minutes in the bricklink catalog identifying that piece when I noticed you hyperlinked the image. Thanks for doing that!

I own a few of the sets the piece appeared in, but I don't think I opened any of them because I don't recognize the piece. What an ugly piece; thank goodness it hasn't appeared since 2004.

And LOL at it being on the PaB wall and not being able to fit into a container :)
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I haven't been to a store in ages, but Westfield seem to have something similar
    http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/side/off/64/ (9,1)
    I'd be very surprised if that fitted in a cup
  • mnbvcmnbvc Member Posts: 134
    Aha, I was at Westfield (for my first ever PAB) the other week and I can confirm that it does. In fact, I got 4 in.

My first cup was very hastily made up, and shabbily done...and although the second cup had those massive pieces in (plus lots of other big parts, such as postboxes, safes, chairs etc), I got nearly double into the second one. It's definitely worth taking your time over!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,087
    the funniest of which were some elements (I forget which) that wouldn't even fit a single piece in the large PAB cups!

DaveE
    Usually you just go up and ask and the clerk will usually let you get at least one, if not two (depending on the size cup you get) on the side.. at least that is how it is by my Lego store