Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Removing the printing on printed parts

insanityrocksinsanityrocks Member Posts: 77
edited April 2014 in Everything else LEGO
a little while back i got an awesome deal (something daft like 49p each) on a small pharaohs quest set (7305) i got the purely for the parts but some of the larger pieces have printing on them that id quite like to get rid of

i know its a bit sacrilegious but what are the best ways to remove the printing?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    You can use a number of ways.

Brasso works quite well.

Very dilute acetone / nail varnish cleaner on kitchen roll does a good job too.

The best method is to put the solvent on a cloth / paper on a flat surface, then rub the part on it. This avoids rounding the edges of the part, which can happen if you hold it and rub.
    edited April 2014
    The alternative is to sell the parts and buy unprinted, if they happen to be expensive ones.

edit: I just realised what set this is. No danger of expensive parts here :-)

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    You could cover the printing up with a sticker.
    SirKevbagsBooTheMightyHamsterpharmjodbobabricksOrmskirkBricks
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    WD-40 or plastic polish will likely remove it
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 828
    I saw some documentary the other day on Lego, not quite sure what it was called though I think I was in the cinema at the time, where someone used Nail Polish remover and a Q Tip (or cotton bud for the UK) to rub off the face printing...
    FurrysauruscarlqdannyrwwReesesPiecessid3windr
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    @insanityrocks‌ Brasso wadding, it's gentler than the liquid brasso. Nail polish remover could possibly melt the brick/s.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    I always use a small piece of "Magic Eraser" (readily available from homeware stores and supermarkets in the UK, not sure about elsewhere) and a good deal of rubbing to remove printing. Works a charm on most pieces as long as you can hold the part still to be able to effectively rub it. The advantage is that it doesn't smell like most other methods does.
  • JAWSJAWS UKMember Posts: 77
    ^ Yep any pencil eraser and a good deal of rubbing = no smell, melting or scratches.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 463
    Melamine foam (Magic Eraser) and Brasso causes damage to bricks. Melamine foam is like a super fine sand paper and Brasso is also an abrasive. I've had good look with a produce called Simple Green. I soak bricks in the super concentrated stuff and had the printing just slide off.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    edited April 2014
    Almost everything is an abrasive. After all that is what you are doing, rubbing the print off the brick. I would say that WD-40 or goo gone are probably the better methods to rub something off the brick but not damage the brick (just really need to ensure you clean them thoroughly after you are done with soap and water), that and with WD-40 almost everyone likely has a can of the stuff in their residence somewhere
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850

WD-40

Yeah, that'll remove your skin too! :oP

I'm kidding, it's not that strong.
    pricey73 said:

Nail polish remover could possibly melt the brick/s.

Yes, that is why you need to use diluted acetone.

The "melting" (it isn't actually melting, it is dissolving) can be used to an advantage. If you have a badly scratched part (especially a flat part), rub it on a flat absorbent surface that has dilute acetone on it, and you get rid of the scratches. It does leave it slightly shiny as you uncover the surface, but often better than the original scratched surface.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,154

Melamine foam (Magic Eraser) and Brasso causes damage to bricks. Melamine foam is like a super fine sand paper and Brasso is also an abrasive. I've had good look with a produce called Simple Green. I soak bricks in the super concentrated stuff and had the printing just slide off.

Is this the stuff you used?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/simple-green-750ml-all-purpose-cleaner_p4470387

If so, does it leave the plastic dull & have you found it weaken the plastic?
    xiahna
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,541
    You've got to be careful when using stuff like nail polish remover because it weakens the plastic a lot. I've tried it and depending on what bricks it is, they tend to break.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,082
    edited April 2017
    Whatever you do..... NEVER remove the printing off of these bricks.... :-)

It would be a 50 Quid ($65) mistake!!

Only found in these 309 (1960-62 or 1957-59) Church Sets of Europe...

Only the left one sold in the UK...

catwranglerlegogalFowlerBricksBobflip
    @Istokg, no worries there, if I find stuff like that, I'd be researching extensively before I do anything to the bricks.
    xiahnaBobflip
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,082
    Good to know!  ;-)   I once knew someone who gave away the 1:87 LEGO cars from an old LEGO collection he purchased, because he thought they weren't real LEGO!!!  :-O   They are among the "crown jewels" of old LEGO.
    If I ever get handed any 1:87 Lego cars, I'd probably offer them to a few people I know (you're included on that list), as I have no interest in them, better they go where they are wanted. Have the same thing with a number of older sets like the Taj Mahal, the Constellation, etc...
    xiahna
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    If only one side is printed, I prefer to flip the part and place the printing on the back. That way if you ever decide to rebuild the original figure and it does become rare, you can always flip back around the printed part. But now many torsos are printed on both sides. Ugh! Legs can be impossible for removing print; too many curves. Do be very careful with these solvents as can will take off several layers of skin on your fingers and sometimes, your fingerprint! Then you can't touch activate your cellphone or whatever!
    Not really a concern for me, I'm either buy parts off BrickLink to wipe or they're from sets I'm parting out & aren't wanting the actual figure in question (a lot of the sets I have parted out are doubles).
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,378
    I picked up a bunch of white printed torsos and will just turn them around.
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 237
    Does anyone have experience taking the printing off of clear pieces? I'm specifically thinking of de-printing Nexo shields...
    Use very diluted alcohol or acetone. Don't go for neat white spirit or acetone as this can cause whitening on the trans parts.
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,541
    Does anyone have experience taking the printing off of clear pieces? I'm specifically thinking of de-printing Nexo shields...
    Nail polish remover. I removed the printing from a Monster fighters crystal piece and it worked great. Parts like that don't really break easy, so it was fine using the polish remover. I would say it probably would be the same with Nexo shields.
    Still testing orange essential oil, seems to work brilliantly on plain & pearlescent parts (no discolouring even months later, practically no abrasion marks), will be testing with translucent parts some time before the end of the month.
    xiahna
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    VorpalRyu said:
    Still testing orange essential oil, seems to work brilliantly on plain & pearlescent parts (no discolouring even months later, practically no abrasion marks), will be testing with translucent parts some time before the end of the month.
    Interesting idea, never thought of using any essential oils, I've only every used rubbing alchohol.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,376
    What makes an essential oil essential? 
    TheFew said:
    It means derived from the essence, it doesn't mean they are needed.
    MaffyDTheFewSprinkleOtterricecake
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 582
    Tried a couple of methods including a pencil eraser and using some 2500 grit wet and dry and they work OK, but leaves the parts a little 'dull', especially noticeable if they are next to a non-wiped part.  Anyone have any methods for restoring a little shine back into them?
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,423
    My wife has been using essential oils for years, and I knew that essential didn't mean required but had no idea why they used that word! Thanks @CCC ! Sorry, you may now carry on...
    TheFew
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,376
    CCC said:
    TheFew said:
    It means derived from the essence, it doesn't mean they are needed.
    Every day on Brickset Forum is a learning day.
    catwrangler
    dmcc0 said:
    Tried a couple of methods including a pencil eraser and using some 2500 grit wet and dry and they work OK, but leaves the parts a little 'dull', especially noticeable if they are next to a non-wiped part.  Anyone have any methods for restoring a little shine back into them?
    (Cheap) You can use furniture polish, as the wax gives some shine.

(Expensive) Or, better still, a light cut finishing polish.
    dmcc0