Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The "brag" thread: Post your recent great finds!

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,472
    ^ Spoilers?
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 475
    Like this:

Baby_YodaBumblepantsbuildalotandhekiki180703
    edited July 2018
    I see. I’ve never seen that done before (or I didn’t want to spoil anything), and it was presented as though it was common.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 986
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Yakop said:
    I found this guy in a friends garage sale. He told me he got it from a LEGOLAND Park. Not sure if I want to keep or sell but not sure what I would sell it for. It’s huge!
    So are your images. I'm assuming whatever you found was awesome but please for the love of god put your photos in spoilers.
    I wish I could like this comment 87 times!!! (And also see the huge thing from the garage sale)...
    Baby_Yoda
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 481
    Maybe not awesome compared to some finds here, but I was still tickled when I saw the "30% off plus an extra 10% for members" on the Destiny's Bounty at my Barnes &Noble. I didn't even know they sold this set. They had a lot of Ninjago including 5 of this one. Someone overordered or something. Destiny's Bounty doesn't fit into my lego city so I had talked myself out of it. But for $100 plus tax I easily talked myself back into it! Really looking forward to building this one. 
    (You can build an awesome larger ship with 2 sets) :)
  • tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    milamber said:
    Maybe not awesome compared to some finds here, but I was still tickled when I saw the "30% off plus an extra 10% for members" on the Destiny's Bounty at my Barnes &Noble. I didn't even know they sold this set. They had a lot of Ninjago including 5 of this one. Someone overordered or something. Destiny's Bounty doesn't fit into my lego city so I had talked myself out of it. But for $100 plus tax I easily talked myself back into it! Really looking forward to building this one. 
    (You can build an awesome larger ship with 2 sets) :)
    Is this what you're referring to? Does look amazing. 
    FowlerBricksSeanTheCollectorkiki180703
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 481
    edited July 2018
    Yeah. I used that as the basis for mine, but made some alterations along the way. I changed the stern as I wasn't keen on that, the sails, some of the internal layout and the rear cabin which looked too much like the other one. It is an excellent MOC though especially if you can pick up a couple of sets cheaply. I paid less than the rrp for one set for both of mine and got a further discount by selling off the second set of minifigures. A 3ft, 3900 or so piece ship for under £100 is simply amazing. With the discounts you can get I think it's just about the best value set out.
    tfranklin84
  • Bricked1980Bricked1980 UKMember Posts: 35

Hi everyone

Whilst out shopping earlier today I visited the Leicester UK branch of WH Smith. I was looking around the toy section and noticed they were selling some long retired lego sets. I took this photo showing three city sets that caught my eye.

One of them is from the 2014 arctic range and I believe the other 2 are older than that - anyway they were all retired several years ago. Despite their age they were all still being sold at RRP and were actually on offer at buy one get one half price.

I'm now kicking myself that I didn't actually buy any of them. I was pretty surprised to see sets this old still for sale in a major high street store.

Switchfoot55FowlerBricksBaby_YodaIceCreamClonekiki180703
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720

Probably not a fantastic deal, but for 50 cents I’m not complaining.
    BumblepantsFowlerBrickskiki180703
  • Brixfan02Brixfan02 USAMember Posts: 162
    I got one of those next shield things at a lego store once for a dollar. Didn't know they existed until I saw them (probably because I hate nexo knights) 
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,835
    YES! Got one! Thanks for the tip. And I was able to use my friend's phone number for the extra 10% off too.
    Onebricktoomany
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,626
    ^WOW!!
  • UberbrickUberbrick OregonMember Posts: 83
    edited July 2018
    alaskaguy said:
    I got a Saturn V rocket, new in box, totally pristine, at a yard sale for $10.
    Must've been the settlement of a fight… :P
  • UberbrickUberbrick OregonMember Posts: 83
    edited July 2018

Hi everyone

Whilst out shopping earlier today I visited the Leicester UK branch of WH Smith. I was looking around the toy section and noticed they were selling some long retired lego sets. I took this photo showing three city sets that caught my eye.

One of them is from the 2014 arctic range and I believe the other 2 are older than that - anyway they were all retired several years ago. Despite their age they were all still being sold at RRP and were actually on offer at buy one get one half price.

I'm now kicking myself that I didn't actually buy any of them. I was pretty surprised to see sets this old still for sale in a major high street store.

Wow. I haven't seen 7639 in a store since I was 10 years old. (I'm 17 1/2 now)

• alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 333
    Not really a "find"....but I just got a FREE Lego 10874 Steam Train from Amazon, using a courtesy credit (free money) that they gave me for botching a previous order.  Saved me $60!
    FowlerBricksSwitchfoot55Baby_Yodakiki180703
  • Eoin24Eoin24 CanadaMember Posts: 4
    Just got the WV Post office for $150. Not as good as the free one posted above but still thought it was a good deal from the prices I have seen online.
    LittleLoriFowlerBricksSwitchfoot55kiki180703
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 393
    edited July 2018
    Stopped by Target to see if they had the Harry Potter polybag.  Couldn’t find any, but I stumbled across a ton of Series 18 figures on the shelves in the checkout aisle. There were some mixed emotions with this development since I really didn’t have the time to dig through all of them. Nevertheless, I had to check a few. I pulled the very first one off the rack and felt that 1x2 tile. Couldn’t believe my luck - not only did I find one of these things, but I didn’t have to spend a ton of time fondling bags and getting awkward looks from the employees.

Now if you’ll excuse me, it is time to go buy a lottery ticket.
  • HenkdeVriesHenkdeVries NetherlandsMember Posts: 78
    @BeauBricks, where did you find it? I'm always checking Marktplaats.nl to find these kind of deals, but I never have much success anymore nowadays..
  • KeilupKeilup Frisco, TXMember Posts: 139
    Picked up a used #10246 and #10251 complete with box and instructions for $210.  Factoring in retail taxes, that's an approximate 40% discount so I thought a pretty good deal.  Not sure I'd ever find those 2 for less.  I shouldn't be spending that kind of money right now, but couldn't pass it up.  Getting hooked on the modulars.  Yeah, as I saw someone say before, getting that first one is a slippery slope.  I think I'm firmly on that slope now, greased up and sliding away.
    Bumblepantskbw
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 814
    Went in a shop in Zvollen in Slovakia where I picked up some retired Speed Champions 6 weeks ago
    4 Mustangs and 3 Spyders  @ 11 euros each. Was a full box of series 18 there too. Well, not quite.....just the one missing!!
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    $20- good deal?
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,461
    ^if you have the other 3000 pieces, great deal! 
    edited July 2018
    $20- good deal?
    So, just a small fraction of an ISD? It looks like you got some of the rare expensive parts there, so I’d say a good deal if you’re trying to build #10030 or looking to resell the parts. But, you probably knew that already :)
    SprinkleOtter
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,943
    $20- good deal?
    Personally I'd rip the sellers arm off at $20 just to get those meteor pieces. The big wheel and the 6x6 trans light blue dish would be the icing on the cake.
    SprinkleOtter
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    ^if you have the other 3000 pieces, great deal! 
    No, unfortunately, not. :/ I just got the good parts ;)
    datsunrobbie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,929
    Wal-Mart re-sets are in 10 days - looks like they are aggressively liquidating the stock to make room!
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,228
    edited July 2018
    @red237 Is the Ghostbusters story pack any good? It's going for next to nothing at Target right now, which is exactly how much I have to spend, so I'd like to make an informed purchase.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474

Not much of a brag, but I am happy. Managed to hit my local shops for a S18 police for £1.50 and two Percival Graves.
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 897
    Just bought the 75188 Resistance Bomber at our local TRU for S$99.98, which is about US$70.
  • All_That_RocksAll_That_Rocks UKMember Posts: 641
    TheFew said:
    Not much of a brag, but I am happy. Managed to hit my local shops for a S18 police for £1.50 and two Percival Graves.
    Where? - Are the Harry Potter figs in stores in UK already?
    andhe
    Snagged a #75954 for $65 flat this week.  Considering it's hard to find retail and over RRP everywhere else, seemed pretty good.  I'm thinking it'll be hard to find any kind of clearance like that months down the road.  Really like the new HP sets.  Would love to get them, but not sure I will due to funds, unless I keep running into these kinds of deals.  My daughter is going to freak on her birthday in a couple weeks.  :-)
    Keilup said:
    Snagged a #75954 for $65 flat this week.  Considering it's hard to find retail and over RRP everywhere else, seemed pretty good.  I'm thinking it'll be hard to find any kind of clearance like that months down the road.  Really like the new HP sets.  Would love to get them, but not sure I will due to funds, unless I keep running into these kinds of deals.  My daughter is going to freak on her birthday in a couple weeks.  :-)
    Who on earth is already discounting that?
    TheFew said:
    Where? - Are the Harry Potter figs in stores in UK already?
    A local independent toy shop for the Harry Potters.
  • justintartejustintarte MissouriMember Posts: 33
    I was able to snag these four modulars from a HS kid at a garage sale for $220. I assume his parents probably bought these sets over the years and now he's pocketing the money... good for him now. :)

Each set is in great condition with the respective box and manuals. It took me about a week to go through each set making sure everything was present and I discovered a handful of the pieces were missing (nothing unique or rare). I've already placed an order with LEGO to secure the missing pieces. BONUS... the kid threw in the City crane (missing a few pieces though) for no extra... my three year old son is in love with the crane.

My 1st world problem dilemma... I already have the restaurant and cinema in both built and unopened forms. So, the question is, what do I do with these two sets that I already have? I felt the deal was too good to pass up. Do I keep them and hold for a later date... do I try and sell them now? I know... tough problem to have.

FowlerBricksjnscoelhodavetheoxygenmanBaby_YodaDeeC2_Joshstluxkiki180703ricecake
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,572
    ^I mean, you could always gift them to me for free too? 

Awesome find!
    FowlerBricksSprinkleOttergmonkey76andhekiki180703
    Keilup said:
    Who on earth is already discounting that?
    Found a local advert.  He actually had 3 asking $75.  Went down to $65.  Was a bit surprised I was able to even get it much less that he went down $10.  Have only seen one other local ad recently for $160 I believe.
    ^^Incredible deal.  I paid that for DO and Bank recently which was a good deal.  So, you could give that Parisian to me since it's one I'm currently missing between Cinema and Bank. :-)
    @justintarte, I’d be tempted to use the extra sets to expand the existing built ones. Add floors or make them roomier inside.
    pharmjod
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    Managed to get 2 lots of 1998 Alien (UFO) Lego from 2 different people for much cheapness.  Plus got an old Lego Movie set 70813: Rescue Reinforcements missing a few parts for £5.
    FowlerBricks
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    Sorry for double post but just had a mad dash across bristol to grab this lot of Lego on FB for £40. Some megablocks but happy with ratio to Lego. 4 boxed and a base plate not bad, shed load of mininfigs as well.
    FowlerBricksBaby_YodaPeteMkiki180703
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 236
    edited August 2018
    Just picked up a used #60051 for $40, from FB marketplace.
    Switchfoot55SumoLego