Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The "brag" thread: Post your recent great finds!

Comments

• ModeltrainmanModeltrainman Reading my Bible, sorting and buildingMember Posts: 1,130
    Now, time to add a room on to the house for it :)
    Buying a house just for it probably isn't realistic?
    560HeliportSwitchfoot55WesterBricks
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Yellowstone, 1883Member Posts: 3,160
    @WesterBricks, all that fit into a Media Mailer too, huh? Impressive!
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 737
    edited October 2022
    He packed it in a big Home Depot moving box, bought a Media Mail label for it, and the PO printed it when they accepted the package.  The postal service didn't inspect it anywhere along the way, so it made it all the way here without extra postage due. Just one aspect of a slightly odd transaction.
    Switchfoot55560Heliport
  • lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 675
    edited October 2022
    Now, time to add a room on to the house for it :)
    Buying a house just for it probably isn't realistic?
    ...for some, perhaps ;)
    WesterBricksModeltrainman
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,556
    Maybe not quite what this thread is usually about, but: #60345 Farmers Market Van for $31.99! (RRP 44.99)
    At Mills Fleet Farm. Their prices are RRP to 25% more, with no apparent pattern. 
    This set is on sale, with a regular price of $39.99- the only set I saw with a regular price less than RRP.
    IIRC, they have "sales" (10% off? 20%?) before Christmas... So you might be able to get a decent deal, if you know your LEGO RRPs- which I'm sure most Bricksetters do!
    WesterBricksYo_dAAstrobricksFowlerBricks
    Found at an antique mall: a bag of parts of two #41130 Amusement Park Roller Coaster. All of the track pieces, all of the cars, and a few random chunks of the sets. $16.99. I plan to use the track to expand my #80036 City of Lanterns. I think these older 4-wide train tracks and the modern roller coaster tracks should work together.
    vanvonfullCymbelineWesterBricksdatsunrobbieAstrobricksMarshallmario
    So the tracks don't easily match up. Maybe with jumper plates and headlight bricks sideways- the new track is slightly higher than the old railroad track, looks like 1/3 of the thickness of a plate .
    The new cars won't fit on the old track because of the tabs that hold them on the rails, but the old cars are just made of 2x2 wheel bases with small train wheels, so they'll work on the new track.
    I think these older 4-wide train tracks and the modern roller coaster tracks should work together.
    I misunderstood this to be an “I wish this were true” statement, rather than an expression of optimism. No, they’re completely different track systems.
    560HeliportSwitchfoot55
    But the rails are the same distance apart- that's all I meant. So the little train wheels on 2x2 bases will work on both; the transition from one track to the other is a problem. 
    I have enough new track to do what I envision, which is to build a Monkie Kid layout on my 30"×30" (75cm x 75cm) table- 3x3 32-stud or 2x2 48-stud baseplates. Track around the edges, #80036 City of Lanterns in one corner, #80024 Legendary Flower Fruit Mountain (or the upcoming #80044 Monkie Kid's Team Hideout) in the opposite corner, and... I don't know what else, but I've accumulated a lot of plant parts from PAB that I ought to use.
    WesterBricksBumblepantspxchrisSwitchfoot55
    ^ Or, of course, I could use my monorail tracks... I have all three monorails, plus the track accessory packs... ;)
    Switchfoot55Marshallmario
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,802
    Picked up #76157 for $8, missing box and one part

PLATE 1X2 W/ SHAFT 12M

Switchfoot55560HeliportWesterBricksMaffyD
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,859
    Picked up #76157 for $8, missing box and one part

PLATE 1X2 W/ SHAFT 12M

Anyone else shout 'SHAFT!' in a Theme from Shaft way when reading that? No... Just me...?

WesterBrickspxchrisdatsunrobbie
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,453
    edited December 2022
    Managed to pick up a copy of #21319 about a month ago (maybe longer) for £30 (RRP 70). I've yet to open it properly, but it looks all there...
    WesterBricksSwitchfoot55560Heliport
  • Lo1sJessLo1sJess Alexandria, VirginiaMember Posts: 450
    🤩 wow
    BobflipMarshallmarioFollowsCloselyOnebricktoomany
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 350
    Snagged a 99% complete Justifier at B&M for $80, just missing the minifigs and a couple tiles and plates. That set really is a better model of the ship than any fan build I’ve seen, but man is it overpriced.
    560HeliportWesterBricksSwitchfoot55Onebricktoomany
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 701
    lowlead said:
    @Bobflip Dang!  Did someone just decide to punch out of their LEGO hobby all at once??  That looks like complete, walk-away-I'm done resignation!  Nice haul.
    Bit of a house clearance type situation. They knew of the value but also knew of the time and effort to restore and sell individually and was happy to work out a mutually beneficial deal :-)
    Those pictures have shown me the future, when I’m dead and gone, like Ebenezer Scrooge. My wife will unceremoniously box up my entire collection, sell it far under market value, and some lucky bricksetter will post it in the brag thread.

I mean… if you don’t tell her how much you spend, that’s a risk, haha! Gotta choose between an earful and potential enforced spending limit, and an untapped inheritance. I guess you could put a clause in the will that it gets appraised first!
    560HeliportWesterBricksiwybslowleadSwitchfoot55Onebricktoomanygmonkey76
  • arathemisarathemis RomaniaMember Posts: 548
    I already told my wife there is an excel file with all the sets I have and the price I payed for them, and under no circumstance she should settle for less than that, specially since I only buy at clearance (meaning 40% off, or more, even the exclusives I manage to get them like this).
    So she knows what needs to be done if I suddenly go visit God. 
    BobflipWesterBricksiwybslowleadSwitchfoot55Onebricktoomanyoldtodd33
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,197
    WesterBricks said:
    ...sell it far under market value, and some lucky bricksetter...
    Where is this sale?
    OnebricktoomanyWesterBricks
    lowlead said:

*calls attorney*
    I used to know a guy.  But this is definitely a thing.  Make sure you have a worthy trustee!
    lowleadSwitchfoot55Onebricktoomany
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 896
    Small haul yielded surprising results! Funny that most of the parts I needed for the Snowplow (3 curved orange plow pieces, green car door, side gas tank stickered 2x4 tile) I already had from a previous haul- as if they were waiting pateintly for the rest of the set to come along someday...& TODAY was that day 🤣

#1580 Lunar Scout
    #6483 Coastal Patrol
    #6781 SP-Striker
    #6883 Terrestrial Rover
    #60055 Monster Truck
    #60058 SUV with Watercraft
    #60083 Snowplow Truck
    WesterBricksSwitchfoot55Marshallmario
    edited January 2
    then my connection picked this up & let me have it to look through. I see indications of #6979 Interstellar Starfighter (the red micromotor is present & working) & #31109 Creator Pirate Ship.
    WesterBricksPJ76ukdatsunrobbieSwitchfoot55
  • Tom79Tom79 Member Posts: 44
    I'd like to see a picture 'after' :-D
    560HeliportLo1sJessgelksterMarshallmarioandhe
  • KeilupKeilup Frisco, TXMember Posts: 199
    gelkster said:
    In this photo I'm about to push the full tote down the stairs & hope the pieces sort themselves...most likely against the odds.
    Don't forget to put about 30 containers at the bottom so the parts will all end up in the right place.
    560HeliportWesterBrickstruck730Cymbelineiwybsandhegelkster
    You lucky dog. I need to learn your secrets!
    WesterBricksLo1sJessPJ76uk
    I have developed a decent knack for step #2. In the first picture above, the framework for the horse cart in the WV Bakery jumped out right away. I find a lot of satisfaction in scanning a photo obsessively, identifying what you think is a part, whether that's based on color, a sticker, a part it's connected to, or the way the shadow highlights the cat turd next to it. 

Plus, I hate counting unhatched chickens. Who has time for that!

I think I could live into your 4 step method!
    Yo_dAWesterBricksgelksterWookie2Lo1sJess
    edited January 6
    ~~ cancelled ~~
    edited January 6
    I have developed a decent knack for step #2....I find a lot of satisfaction in scanning a photo obsessively...
    That's what I do with my connection guy. He sends pics of the haul/pickup & any "unique" parts that stand out, I scan them closely, & from there I can get a fair idea of what's in there.
    WesterBricks
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,118
    Update on my $60 bulk lot - #10185 Green Grocer was only missing 66 parts and three minifigs. After scouring my collection, in the end I only need 13 parts and the three minifigs, totaling $50 or so.

The other sets are very incomplete, but I think I can Frankenstein a few things like the semi trucks from #7642 Garage, and the Winter Village Bakery building itself from #10216.

Bonus addition - a few early collectible minifigs like the Sumo Wrestler, Punk Rocker, and Hazmat Guy (missing his head), and many parts from #6754 Family Home, which will be nice additions to my collection.
    Good on you. Too much work for me. I have a job and a family. :)
    1. Spend way, way too much time online.
    2. Develop an absurd ability to figure out what a set is from one or two unique parts.
    3. Be willing to ask the seller questions if the photos are rubbish.
    4. Don’t count your chickens until they hatch.
    5.  Figure out where WesterBricks lives and get to the FB listing first
    Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
    Made a minor revision.
    560HeliportFizyxLo1sJessWesterBrickssamiam391pxchrisiwybsMarshallmarioSwitchfoot55
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,458
    edited January 8
    1265 said:
    Update on my $60 bulk lot - #10185 Green Grocer was only missing 66 parts and three minifigs. After scouring my collection, in the end I only need 13 parts and the three minifigs, totaling $50 or so.

The other sets are very incomplete, but I think I can Frankenstein a few things like the semi trucks from #7642 Garage, and the Winter Village Bakery building itself from #10216.

Bonus addition - a few early collectible minifigs like the Sumo Wrestler, Punk Rocker, and Hazmat Guy (missing his head), and many parts from #6754 Family Home, which will be nice additions to my collection.
    Good on you. Too much work for me. I have a job and a family. :)
    Maybe he does too and he's just better than you at multi-tasking. 

Nice find @WesterBricks!
    560HeliportWesterBricksYo_dAiwybsSwitchfoot55
    Well, I attempted to implement WesterBricks 4 step process this weekend. After identifying several lots on a few selling platforms, I quickly messaged the seller to ensure the listed had been properly marked as "Willing to ship." ....apparently people don't actually intend to ship when that is marked. 

Glad I hadn't started counting chickens at any point.

Onward!
    WesterBricks560HeliportandheCymbelineSumoLego
  • KeilupKeilup Frisco, TXMember Posts: 199
    $110 for a complete GG plus all the extra stuff?  I'd be all in for that.  Most likely the only way I'd ever end up with a GG.  Great find!
    WesterBricksLo1sJess
    ^ I haven't ordered the missing parts yet, but they'll be $50-60 before shipping, so I'll predict that I will be under $200 when it's all done.
    Switchfoot55CymbelineLo1sJessKeilup
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 700
    When I was padding my shop.Lego cart in order to get the Blacktron Cruiser, I included two 6-packs of the Series 24 CMF.  When I opened the boxes, I found that between the two I had gained all 12 figures from the series with no duplicates.

I don't know if this is a true brag, or whether this is how the 6-packs work for the CMF, but I thought this was pretty amazing. I was fully expecting to get maybe 4-5 unique figures with at least one in triplicate...and with my luck it would certainly not be the spaceman!
    BumblepantsWesterBricksiwybsLo1sJessSwitchfoot55BobflipMarshallmario
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Haymarket, VAMember Posts: 1,267
    edited January 10
    ^ you have a 50/50 change of getting all 12.
    Switchfoot55
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman Reading my Bible, sorting and buildingMember Posts: 1,130
    @WesterBricks
    WHOA! Isn't that the new(er) IDEAS one?