Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

BBC2 Collectaholics

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,458
edited April 2014 in Everything else LEGO
Did anyone else enjoy seeing James from JediNews.co.uk on the show tonight?

Quite a collection, but not enough LEGO on display in his new den!

Comments

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,273
    I was watching Masterchef (I know, sue me) but I recorded it and look forward to seeing the show tomorrow. No amount of Star Wars memorabilia can ever be too much though can it?
    Meadle
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,361
    Yeah I watched that, 35000 pieces, wow.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    Scared the shit out of me to see the amount of UV contact going on after the refurb. Hell, he had boxes sat and displayed on window cills. Put shivers down my spine. A great collection though.
    Pitfall69
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 291
    Pretty good. Can someone enlighten me about the 1 of 5 Clone Trooper that was apparently worth £1000? Not even heard of this before and can't find any info on it
  • BuzzsawBuzzsaw UKMember Posts: 79
    Enjoyed it. BTW did anyone else notice the box of CMF S9 behind the door? I suspect that a lot of those 35K are small bits like that.
  • Chesney107Chesney107 Member Posts: 9
    I noticed they never shown a ucs falcon. he must have that. if everything was in its box, don't you think that would be worth more than the clone trooper???
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,484
    Yep I saw that program too. Then I looked at my collection ..... :)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,266
    I suspect a few of us watched that and winced as our lives flashed before us....!
    Pitfall69
  • BuzzsawBuzzsaw UKMember Posts: 79
    ^ Yes, and now I need to go and buy a load of glass shelves for displaying my collection!

( which I have been planning for a while)
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    mcvitie said:

Pretty good. Can someone enlighten me about the 1 of 5 Clone Trooper that was apparently worth £1000? Not even heard of this before and can't find any info on it

Anyone?

(And also I thought it looked a bit.... amateur to be honest. )
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    I have just watched a few episodes on the net. Really enjoyed the show as a whole
    Very inspiring...

one corner of the extra bedroom at my home looks like James bedroom before the change...and I really need to do something about it.

space space and always space...
    I guess I will have to start thinking also what i want to do with my (ever growing) collection.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 834
    I just watched the SW bit and skipped through the rest, but I think that it did highlight the importance of actually being able to appreciate your stash rather than having everything sitting in boxes, but also not letting it take over your house - definitely a good idea to set boundaries where stuff can and can't be (though I think those of us with partners have already had those boundaries well and firmly set down!)
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 291
    Just watching the new series now. Did they ever find anyone to feature in one of the shows?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,375
    What's a Star Wars "Figga"? ;) j/k Without getting into a long discussion...It's "Lay-uh" not "Lee-uh" :)
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,458
    Mark, a Brickish member, is featured next Tuesday, with his collection of 350,000 LEGO bricks
    augenAdzbadboy
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,768
    edited April 2015
    Realised this is a recently resurrected old thread. So if, like me, anyone is interested in watching the Star Wars bit, it's on youtube

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    Reminder: Mark the Lego hoarder is on Collectaholics **tonight** !
    TheBrickLaddlegonut80
  • sonatine01sonatine01 Daventry, EnglandMember Posts: 505
    ^ Do you which channel it's on, BBC2 says James a Madonna memorabilia collector.
    It's both the Madonna collector and Mark.
    Is anyone else expecting to watch this thinking 'that isn't so bad...'?
  • sonatine01sonatine01 Daventry, EnglandMember Posts: 505
    Are ok, thank-you :-)
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 403
    >> Is anyone else expecting to watch this thinking 'that isn't so bad...'?

Somewhat selfishly I'm hoping to use it as justification to my wife that, while my collection is somewhat large, "look how much 'worse' it could be, tut tut tut etc" while secretly coveting every item on screen :)
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    We may see @Paperballpark to :-)
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,455
    Oh bloody hell, I forgot about that...
    @PeteM what if it turns out that your collection is larger than Mark's?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Oh, is this what they were filming for at Brick (or somewhere)
    ^ Yes
    We had a similar show here in the US called "Collection Intervention". It was ok. The host was easy on the eyes ;)

BTW, is 350,000 Lego bricks a large amount of bricks?
    Andor
    I hope we get to the Lego soon. The puppets are freaking me out.
    CheekaRenegade007cjh
    edited April 2015
    Pitfall69 said:
    We had a similar show here in the US called "Collection Intervention". It was ok. The host was easy on the eyes

BTW, is 350,000 Lego bricks a large amount of bricks?
    Not by Brickset Forum standards it isn't!
    AndorBumblepantsPitfall69khmellymelbluemooseRenegade007cjhpharmjod
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    Does this guy have the largest LEGO collection ever? What is the world record?
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    edited April 2015
    Hmmm. So what did people think to the lego section...
    edited April 2015
    ^^ Not even in the ball park. I have about half a million pieces in total (roughly half in sets, half loose) and that is relatively small fry, so 350,000 is pretty standard for an adult collector I would have thought.

It's not very cleanly displayed at all. The sets are not held in cabinets as far as I have seen so far, although there are plenty in his collection that I would like to own :)
    Andor
    richo said:
    Hmmm. So what did people think to the lego section...
    Looking forward to watching it on SKY+ at my leisure; while I think we can agree that 350K pieces isn't that large a collection in the great scheme of things, the guy does deserve credit for putting himself out there and agreeing to appear on TV.
    CapnRex101AdzbadboyLegoboyPitfall69khmellymelAndor
    ^^ Not even in the ball park. I have about half a million pieces in total (roughly half in sets, half loose) and that is relatively small fry, so 350,000 is pretty standard I would have thought.

It's not very cleanly displayed at all. The sets are not held in cabinets as far as I have seen so far, although I have seen a few that I would like to own :)
    Well they should have got you on the program instead :)
    It's best not to mention things like the amount of parts you own, this is information that could be used against you ;-)
    BumblepantsAdzbadboyShibPitfall69khmellymelAndor
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Managed to forward it past the scary puppets. 

I thought Mark came over pretty well, and fair play to him for agreeing to do it. 

Delighted to to have a little snippet in front of one of my models - although it might look like a normal Tower Bridge from the camera angle!

edited April 2015
    I thought the entire segment was well done overall. They typically portray the collector as obsessive or weird on Collectaholics but I don't think that was the case today at all. As others have said, good on Mark for showing off what LEGO (and it's adult collectors) can do. 

Any publicity for adult fans is worth having and no doubt there are a few who watched that today and realised that they weren't the only one!

@SirKevbags - Only by cruel Northerners like yourself ;o)
    rdflego
    At least I can show this to people and say I'm not crazy :)
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 356
    I thought it was great, and I was pleased to see the oil rig set 373 that was my first ever LEGO set when I was 7! The collection in the garage was awesome and so well organised, something I could only dream of. I also think the presenter is a secret AFOL as he seemed amazed in a boyish kind of way that said to me he wanted to play and build, but I suppose that's the effect LEGO has!
    Andor
    Yes, I think they portrayed Mark very well indeed actually. As the person who was displaying with Mark at Brick 2014 (I had a few of the trains on the layout, including the black steam engine that got quite a bit of 'TV time'), they had us both 'mic'd up' for most of the setup time. Mark wasn't joking when he said it took us 16 hours to set it up - it was a nightmare to start with!

I actually reckon that Mark underestimated the amount of bricks he had by quite a lot. The brickset collection manager says I have about 65k pieces, and I know for certain I have at least 20k extra loose pieces, possibly more. From looking at his storage area and comparing it with mine, I reckon he's probably got at least 600 - 750k pieces, possibly over 1million.
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    Well done to Mark, his collection was very aspirational for me with only 102,899 pieces officially.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    So how can someone outside of the U.K. watch the show?
    Andor
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 480
    Adzbadboy said:
    Are we talking bricks or sets?  Nathan Sawaya has been credited with the largest private collection of bricks.  It was north of 6 or 8 million bricks in 2006 (I believe).  

If your talking about sets, there are a few people I've meet that have truly massive collections.   I knew of one guy that had nearly everything from 1960 to 2008 and doubles of most from 1980 to 2008.  He stop collecting and sold off this collection in 2009-2011.  There are a couple of people that I know of that have numbers in the 8 thousand range and one or two in the 12 thousand range.  I don't know if these people are still active or not.
    Adzbadboy said:
    Are we talking bricks or sets?  Nathan Sawaya has been credited with the largest private collection of bricks.  It was north of 6 or 8 million bricks in 2006 (I believe).  
    I'm not sure Nathan's collection could be described as 'private' given that he makes his living out of it.

There's a certain Brickish Association member who'll remain nameless with a collection of bricks that must be at least as big I suspect....
    LegoboyAndor
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    edited April 2015
    I really enjoyed that. Looked like a good display too.

I thought it was very well done, I feared a voyeuristic Look At This Nutter hatchet job.
    I just sold off most of my "Classic Pirate" sets to a fellow Bricksetter (to remain anonymous). Now, I am working on selling my "Classic Castle" collection. I just cannot deal with the clutter anymore. My collection has spilled out into almost every room in the house. There are even a Friends set and a small bowl of parts in the bathroom. What I have noticed from watching some of these "Hoarders" and "Collection" shows is that most of these houses are small, so it looks like they have more than they really do. I don't live in a very large house (1,600 sq ft and finished basement), but I know these houses have to be smaller than mine.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    drdavewatford said:  There's a certain Brickish Association member who'll remain nameless with a collection of bricks that must be at least as big I suspect....
    I have the biggest of smiles on my face.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,366
    I'm with you @Pitfall69. My ongoing sorting has proven that it's time to let some old stuff go. It's worth too much to just part into my collection and it just takes up space in storage. I have dreams of doing a classic castle layout, but then I get distracted by other things.
    Andor
    It is just too much to deal with right now. I am also running out of storage, so something has to give.