Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Creativity Forgives Everything - Cute & Naughty LEGO Ads

akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,033
I don't know if you guys have seen these, but there is a French advertising
company that created some really cute and naughty LEGO ads. I love the French! :D

http://thebrickblogger.com/2014/03/fun-lego-ads-creativity-forgives-everything/
pharmjodLostInTranslationSilentModedrdavewatfordSirKevbagsLego_Star

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    I really like the ads. If anyone finds them in HI Res please link here.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,033
    edited March 2014
    @pharmjod This is the advertising agency's Pinterest page where they have larger versions of the ads: http://www.pinterest.com/greyparis/
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    Awesome. Thanks!
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    The ads are quite creative to say the least! And quite well done. Definitely would not want my child to see them...agreeing with Yatkuu's comments on the linked website. (His five year old is wildly creative and built a Duplo house ...much better than mine ...in our dining room three days ago.) Looking at foreign ads has often made me smile.
    legogal said:

Looking at foreign ads has often made me smile.

Yeah, it is very interesting to see what other cultures consider funny or creative, or offensive, etc. Just the other day I was mentioning to a friend that no matter how hard I try I just don't get British humor... No offense to our British friends. It's just my dullness... :D

GothamConstructionCo
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,314
    akunthita said:

Just the other day I was mentioning to a friend that no matter how hard I try I just don't get British humor... No offense to our British friends. It's just my dullness... :D

To be able to get it, you need to be able to spell it. :-)
    MatthewpharmjodCheekaCapnRex101OmastarToc13Natebw
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Hahaha! I have the same problem and have spent months in the UK and love the place! I am sure that Brits have major problems with American humor/humour, too. We spent a lot of time discussing these differences in my international marketing classes (in an earlier life.) The best thing one can do is try to understand that there usually is a gigantic difference between what is humorous in one place and what is in another.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I often here the expression "British humour" Can anyone tell me what it is please? Benny Hill is often referenced shortly afterwards. Things have moved on a little since Benny chased women in susies.

British comedy is extremely varied. Regulars on the comedy club circuit are unlikely to sit down and enjoy Mrs Brown's Boys.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    @SirKevbags This is british humor ;oP

And some of the best I must say!
    Legogeekgmonkey76
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I have fond childhood memories of Bean. The restaurant scene where he orders tartar and then hides it inside all manner of items instead of eating it I loved. However that doesn't make it the sense of humour that encompasses the entire UK. It's just something that has exported well. It's vanilla and safe. Take someone like Daniel Kitson though. If you're lucky enough to get a ticket you will spend a few hours with someone who certainly isn't vanilla but wouldn't export as a mass market performer. Still making many a person laugh though.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    British humour? A bit dark, possibly, a tad self-deprecating and liberal doses of satire/sarcasm/irony. Think Ealing comedies. But then again, Mr Bean isn't really any of that (though perhaps we do see, in exaggerated form, some of our own strange foibles and desires reflected in him). It's a nebulous concept.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    ^ But Mr. Bean translates and we're trying to define the bits that don't. I would say it's the dry humour that doesn't translate well, or even get noticed. Being Australian I do better with British humour than American, I don't think I'll ever understand movies such as Dumb and Dumber, and was a grave disappointment to my youth group kids when Napoleon Dynamite came out and they all went nuts.

Back on point, I'm not sure that all of the ads were used, numbers 1 and 4 were on every second bus shelter in my part of France in January but I haven't seen any of the others. Maybe they're planning a second campaign sometime though.

• rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Dumb And Dumber, Napoleon dynamite, and Mr. Bean are a few of the best, mainly because they are all idiots. That's my kind of comedy!
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    ^ you're not much younger than my YG kids at the time of Napoleon Dynamite and I think it was partly generational.

There are different ways to deal with "idiots", one of my favourite movies is still the Australian movie The Castle that left you feeling envious of the characters in their ignorance, relative poverty and happy lack of awareness :). It was also one of our most successful movies despite being nominally about Federal Constitutional Law :).

I have fond childhood memories of Bean. The restaurant scene where he orders tartar and then hides it inside all manner of items instead of eating it I loved. However that doesn't make it the sense of humour that encompasses the entire UK. It's just something that has exported well. It's vanilla and safe. Take someone like Daniel Kitson though. If you're lucky enough to get a ticket you will spend a few hours with someone who certainly isn't vanilla but wouldn't export as a mass market performer. Still making many a person laugh though.

For me you cannot beat Stewart Lee, that guy has comic timing to perfection.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,107
    Although LEGO ads in the early days weren't as funny as are ads and commercials today.... they do have their humorous moments....

In my Unofficial LEGO/Sets Parts Collectors Guide chapter on LEGO Ads... here's a few....

My favorite was this one of 1957 used in Germany and Austria.....  the heading is "Mom!!  When is Dad going to bed??"   :)

And in LEGO retailer magazines, it's all about making money off of LEGO.... such as this 1976 ad....

This Australian LEGO ad from 1976 is kind of cute.....

And then there's this American Saturday Evening Post ad of 1962.... is the girl trying to measure herself against the skyscrapers height?  .... or is she scratching her head wondering what else can we possibly build, not that we've built it all?? 

snowhitieakunthitagivmellis
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,107
    And a few more from my guide....

If your dad owns the company.... I guess you too can build on this massive of a scale.... and it's nice to have your own pic on the box..... as this late 1960 Italian magazine ad shows....

And since we're showing a sandy LEGO play area....

Here's a few things that makes AFOLs cringe today..... having rare LEGO boxes worth hundreds sitting around in the sand..... and the combination of LEGO with sand and ice cream....  Maybe people shouldn't be so surprised when they find disgusting things mixed in when purchasing a bulk lot of LEGO....  :#

.... especially if it's been moldering stuck together since 1959!   :/

akunthitapaul_mertonOmastarBrickman
    Gary, love these! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    As a Brit I can't believe Mr. Bean has been referenced as 'British Humour'. I would rather eat my own hair than watch that utter garbage. That's not to say that Rowen Atkinson hasn't had his moments, unfortunately that just wasn't one of them.

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    ^Would you rather...impale your bottom on a spiky cactus?
    TBH, I've never much enjoyed Mr Bean either. But Johnny English, on the other hand...
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    woony2 said:
    As a Brit I can't believe Mr. Bean has been referenced as 'British Humour'. I would rather eat my own hair than watch that utter garbage. That's not to say that Rowen Atkinson hasn't had his moments, unfortunately that just wasn't one of them.

lol
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,386
    there was a lot of text in some of these old ads
    Istokg said:

And in LEGO retailer magazines, it's all about making money off of LEGO.... such as this 1976 ad....

Is that LFT's warehouse?

plasmodiumnatro220
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I really like that Australian ad.