Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

AFOLCON 2014 - ExCel London, UK - 26-30 November

ravendragonwingravendragonwing Member Posts: 132
edited March 2014 in Community and Events
Hello,
Just wanted to start an AFOL Con thread (not LEGO show).
Bought my flight and my ticket (the receipt says see you in May?)
I am very unsure what goes on during this con, but excited to go.
What can I expect?
Jennifer

Comments

• legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    edited March 2014
    I don't know if you're talking about this event (i'm guessing not, but didn't want to take any risks):

so...

http://brickset.com/article/10326/afolcon-and-the-lego-show-new-venue-and-date

But there were some date/venue issues. Just thought i'd point this out in case:

(Surprised it's not a 'sticky'-like news piece on the main site)

Otherwise, ignore and carry on. :o)
  • ravendragonwingravendragonwing Member Posts: 132
    that is where I first saw it :)
    question: If I want to display, do I need to apply for each MOC or can I group them? For example, I have 2 mosaics, can I lump them together or apply for them separately?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    As per that news article, the event has been re-scheduled for November - hopefully you're already aware of this if you've booked a flight! The 'See you in May' must be left on by mistake. There's comprehensive information about exhibiting on the AFOLCON website.
    Yes, thank you, I did see that. I checked the website, but no info on the display submission form (I see the submission form, but it does not say 1 MOC per form, etc)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,691
    http://www.afolcon.com/exhibiting/

You can submit one form for all of your exhibiting. On the 'Display' section, you can include details of each of your models within the 'description' box - your're describing your display.
    cool, thanks. Although there is only 1 picture allowed to be uploaded :(
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,691
    Stand back a little to get it all in. ;-)
    StormKitty
  • CoraHarrisonCoraHarrison Member Posts: 242
    Just wanted to re-bring up this thread. I will be going to Brick 2014 as a guest on the Thursday seems like the only day I can get off work :(

I was tempted by the VIP but does anyone know the extra's involved as its a hefty mark up for 2 people. :(

• LegonizerLegonizer San Diego, CAMember Posts: 39
    edited July 2014
    I really want to attend, and since certain expenses are covered when you exhibit it just might be economically feasible. However, the only LEGO convention I've ever attended is Bricks by the Bay in Santa Clara, California. I'm guessing that AFOLCON is much different, so I have plenty of questions. Like, is this truly an international event, or will I be the only American present? Is it frustrating to have to sit next to your exhibit all day or is it no big deal? What kind of activities are there, are there games, competitions, trophies, lectures, parts drafts, or anything of that nature? The website is severely lacking in information and I'd rather not clutter the admin's inbox with questions, so any info previous attendees may have would be helpful.
    ravendragonwingCoraHarrison
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    @Legonizer - AFOLcon is in the UK, so the majority of people there will be British. I reckon there will be a number of people from overseas though, so should be a good mix.

The website has plenty of details about exhibiting, and you can download a guide all about it. The events taking place and speakers in attendance will be revealed gradually as we move closer to November.
    I will be there, I also help put on Bricks by the Bay in Santa Clara. Hope to see you there!
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    Hi Legonizer - no problem in flooding my inbox with emails ;-) AFOLCON and BRICK probably sit halfway between a US style convention and a European show. European events are sometimes more 'freeform' than US events - we don't tend to have themes or 'best in show' competitions for instance.

We do have talks and private events as well as a large public show for you to show off your MOCs (and you don't need to feel chained to the displays, though most AFOLs do stay with their display to chat to the public).

We're only starting to announce the private events and speakers so keep an eye on AFOLCON.com for the details or just let me know.
    Question regarding hotels, I saw free cancellation, but when I went to confirm purchase, it said I only had 45 days before to cancel....could not find more info, and that would be an expensive call...
  • J4keJ4ke Member Posts: 2
    I'm fairly sure I said I was exhibiting back before the date changed, but shortly after that I lost access to the email account I used. So I missed a few emails from the organisers and I just wanted to check if I was still even signed up. I don't think I bought tickets though.

Also, I can't find anything on the new Brick 2014 site about exhibiting. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks.
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    J4ke - PM me your details and I'll see if you're registered. There is a link on the main website, but it's perhaps not very obvious I agree.
  • J4keJ4ke Member Posts: 2
    I think we're all good, I've been emailing the organisers who have (all credit to them) kept trying to contact me. So I guess I'll see you all there!