Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego MRI scan model donated to Royal Berkshire Hospital

LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,720
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-26438170

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2014-03-04/lego-model-of-mri-scanner-built-to-help-children/

Interesting to see that TLG are both involving themselves with a local hospital and even more so that they too have trouble sourcing parts.

Good for them though. :o)
LostInTranslationUnixpace

Comments

• Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    That is genius and a wonderful idea. I had a tumor and cyst removed when I was 12, so MRIs were a frequent thing for me. Thankfully I was never scared, but I really understand how frightening they can be for some children, so I applaud this.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,020
    I wonder which parts were no longer available. The stretcher is current, most of the bricks seem current. The panels? Could easily substitute other current ones.

So I wonder if the unavailable parts were the CMFs (DJ, surgeon, etc) and associated parts (the fitness instructor's radio from S5, and so on), since these parts are never available to the company, even when current.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,531
    edited March 2014
    Can they make a model of this for me too please? I'm going to have an MRI in the near future with regard to a back problem and I'm a bit anxious :-S
    I'm sure seeing mini-me in a LEGO model of the machine would reassure me :-)
    CCC
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 59
    As a radiographer this is fantastic to see and a great idea for patient reassurance :)
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 517
    you'll probably end up on one of these after an mri!

for the record, it's a varian truebeam 2.0 linear accelerator with 6dof couch... :D
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    We have had a similar request at Fairy Bricks from a hospice we are planning to donate to. They have a boy with a serious needle phobia and it goes beyond him being uncomfortable. Anyway a cartoon character has been created called Jabber and they would like him to be brought to life with LEGO. I will post a proper thread about this but I've been overcome with bloody child germs. If you're up for the challenge though this is Jabber
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,280
    @SirKevbags - I think a name like Jabber would be enough to put anyone off, particularly when he looks so menacing!
    andhe
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,798
    That cartoon is enough to put anyone off injections, let alone a phobic child.
    CapnRex101
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    For those that didn't see him at the weekend here is Jabba. Fair to say the staff were thrilled. We might not understand the character but Ewan and the stream of staff called down to view him yesterday certainly do. Some doubted he was actually LEGO so huge thanks to Andy from http://www.minifigforlife.com/theprostore/main.php for stepping up to produce him at no cost to us or the Hospice.
    JennicheshirecatStormKittyLostInTranslationCapnRex101