Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

From buckets to bins: How to sort a lot of Lego. (Part 2 in my Craigslist series.)

henrysunsethenrysunset Member Posts: 242
edited March 2014 in Everything else LEGO
As some of you might have read in my first article, I recently purchased a ton of bricks on Craigslist which I have painstakingly sorted into sets.

I just finished a second article which I expect will be interesting to many of you. In this article, I look at the process of sorting a *ton* of lego. I touched on several relevant topics:
  1. different sorting goals (by color, by part, etc..)
  2. how to sort it (I used a two-pass sorting algorithm)
  3. a printable Lego Ruler and sorting tool
  4. how to store it (I used drawers)

Read the Article: ​From buckets to bins: How to sort a lot of Lego

Take a look and let me know what you think... I'm especially interested to hear how your sorting and storing method differs. (I'm pretty sure it's a good storage method - it's Lord Business approved!)

Sincerely,
---tom

Comments

• ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    I like this idea, and might try it on the next lot I get. A little bit more time than what I do now, and a bit more overhead cost in storage, but finding what you need would be way faster.
  • jtrjtr Member Posts: 37
    I was inspired to start my own sorting journey. I tried to find something similar to the akro-mils here in AUS, but had no luck at all. They either come in small useless sizes, or top-end gear. It's a viable option to get them shipped(60 for two units) from Amazon.
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 327
    Good info in your articles. I am currently sorting about 50 pounds of Lego that I bought on CL. Lots of work.
  • henrysunsethenrysunset Member Posts: 242
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I've shared the designs that you can use to print these labels at home using a Brother Label Printer....

Link to blog post where you can download these files: http://tomalphin.com/2014/04/printable-labels-to-sort-your-lego.html

Sincerely,
    ---tom
    khmellymelpharmjodxeeeejFollowsCloselyPepper
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,235
    edited April 2014
    @henrysunset‌, my OCD thanks you :)
  • Bluefairy_56Bluefairy_56 Member Posts: 320
    Thank you @henrysunset I dream of having my Lego all in little draws like in your picture. I also have OCD and this is great.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    These are very cool, but is it me or do the 2x6 and 2x8 plates have their pictures mixed up?
    Infinityman
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,314
    You missed the part where you chuck it all on the floor and do a brick angel (like a snow angel but warmer and slightly more painful).
    jasor
    @timinchicago‌ OOPS!!! That's no good. good eyes!

I will update the files this evening. I hope that's the only mistake I made!
  • dmg111dmg111 Member Posts: 40
    I was already sorting like you (with the Akro-Mils drawers, and larger drawers for more common pieces like 2x4 bricks). That makes your labels extra awesome, since I'm using them on the same storage devices. Thank you!!
    Someone noticed that I had the images for Plate 2x6 and Plate 2x8 reversed. I've fixed this in an updated version on my blog.

Link: tomalphin.com/2014/04/printable-labels-to-sort-your-lego.html

Thanks again,
    ---tom
    I just uploaded a huge update to the Label collection. It now includes most of the LEGO bricks you might want for general building. (Technics is not included yet)

> LINK: http://tomalphin.com/2014/04/printable-labels-to-sort-your-lego.html

Let me know if you have found these useful, or if I'm missing some important parts that you would like to see in the next update.

Sincerely,
    -Tom Alphin
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,887
    Any new ideas on sorting minifig heads? Will all the new colors and variations, it's getting a tougher to keep them organized (in large quantities).

Right now, have plastic craft boxes as pictured, by different color and then different patterns (w/ or w/o eyewear, dual-sided, etc).

Thinking maybe I should have a small ziplock baggie for each head under its BL ID#. Certainly, it's a tremendous amount of time to do that. But when it's done, it will work. Of course sorting new batches heads into a million different baggies isn't easy.

Just wondering what else you guys are doing?
  • jptrhodesjptrhodes Member Posts: 1
    I use the same little drawer units, only instead of paper labels (yours look great though BTW) I use a tiny piece of "sticky-tack" (sort of like bubble gum, used to stick posters up on walls without leaving a mark) from the dollar store about the rise of your pinky fingernail and stick an "example piece" to the front of each bin. It's easy to switch out pieces if you absolutely HAVE to have that one piece back for your creation.