ebay Global Shipping Program

Does anyone on here use ebay's Global Shipping Program? I do a very low amount of reselling (1-2 items a month) and never have shipped internationally, so I was wondering if using their program would be worthwhile as opposed to spending the time properly educating myself on the ins and outs of international shipping. (If there is a good FAQ or discussion on international shipping I'd love someone point me in the right direction...) I have a couple of items, such as the Architecture Studio, that I think would sell better internationally.

Thanks!

Comments

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    You can see a lot of post on ebay community pages, most of them are people not liking it.

I looked into it but didn't sign up for a few reasons (at the time it may have changed now) :
    Not available for every country and you can't exclude countries it is available to.
    Very expensive for the buyer, making your listing less desirable

The only good thing about it is that once it is received by the ebay warehouse, your package becomes eBay responsibility if damaged, not received, etc.

(On the Side note #21050 is now available again, so look for prices to drop)
  • DavesbrixDavesbrix Member Posts: 6
    eBay lets me buy and print an international shipping label just like I do any others.There's a couple differences is all,I list the item on the label, and use the exemption NOEEI 30.37(a): USPS says-" Use this AES Exemption when the value of each class of goods is $2,500 or less, if an export license is
    not required. Do NOT use this AES Exemption for items sent to Cuba or North Korea."
    I only send lightweight items though.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    I love the global shipping program. It's easy to use. For a small time seller, there really is nothing to lose. I used to print customs forms and whatnot, but I hated it.
    If you do it your self, for Priority Mail packages (and every package above 4 lbs), you now must use a Customs Form Envelope

If you do it your self, make sure you restrict the countries you ship too (I only ship where I can insure them minus Italy). Also a nice thing from USPS is that packages are now traceable to the delivery in more and more countries.
  • lilmonster777lilmonster777 Member Posts: 53
    The G.S.P. is a joke for canadians it makes you pay duty on items that would never get nailed with duty in the first place.The only time I've ever purchased an ebay item with the G.S.P. attached to the listing was for a 5 mini fig lot…the G.S.P. was $11 usd …lot was worth $25 shipping was $9,theres no way that low value would of been nailed with duty,I'm a former C.B.S.A. officer who worked in the post facility.
    I will never buy from us sellers with the G.S.P. attached to their listing again.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    edited February 2014

The only good thing about it is that once it is received by the ebay warehouse, your package becomes eBay responsibility if damaged, not received, etc.

This has now saved me from large claims twice. Whether there was true damage or scammers I cannot say. One claim was $700 and the other was $2200. Both times a simple call to ebay customer service immediately cleared up the issue, and ebay ate the refund. All you have to do is get it to Kentucky safely, then your responsibility ends. It's a lot of peace of mind when dealing with potential scammers as well as less than careful oversea shipping and delivery companies. Now I actually prefer this type of sale compared to a domestic one.

I use the program selectively. Certainly not worth it for items under about 6 pounds or so, as the shipping/customs cost is prohibitive to potential buyers. In many cases however these start to become less than they would be to them if I shipped myself. For countries it isn't offered to you can still offer traditional international shipping.

It's another tool that is available. It's not a one size fits all solution, but in the right circumstances, it's a win win scenario for buyer and seller.
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 359
    I'm only interested in using it for higher priced items, which should be more likely to have duty/customs charges. (I'm not going to start doing international shipping for random current polybags...)

Anyone been able to tell if the shipping prices that the Global Shipping Program charges are competitive?

@ColoradoBricks - thanks for the heads up on #21050 being available again. Any idea if it is still going to be exclusive to the US? It doesn't appear to be on any of the other region sites I checked. I don't see it on the Barnes and Noble site yet either. Does look like I should have sold mine off before now though.
    edited February 2014
    Ronyar said:

Anyone been able to tell if the shipping prices that the Global Shipping Program charges are competitive?

it depends on the country being shipped to and the cost and weight of the item. Once the item is posted you can view the estimated charges to any destination country. You can then edit the item to *NOT* use global shipping and view this information again, then compare the two. After a while, you get a sense of things.

As mentioned above, you are going to lose Canada pretty much for certain. Most Canadian buyers are accustomed to not being charged for customs fees even when they technically should be. the GSP will enforce it every time, and on low cost items it's prohibitively expensive. I rarely sold to Canada before GSP anyway, so the loss of those sales has been much more than offset by gains in other places, and the extra protection afforded for lost/damanged items or scammers.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    I have had good success with the GSP, but then again, I haven't really used it that much. Isshipped a Black Pearl to Ireland and the buyer was pleased. Shipping is minimal for me because I'm only 4 hours away from Kentucky :)
    pharmjod
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    The distribution center is about an hour and a half north of me in KY, so I love it :) customers have been really surprised how quickly they get their sets.
    Pitfall69
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    I have used them and the only bad thing I have seen is the 3-4 day delay in the item arriving, but Ebay take most of the responsibility for damaged boxes, or loss from my understanding if you use the service. I have shipped to Canada, Spain and France and all has gone great.
    How does shipping insurance work with GSP ?
    Do I just need to insure it to KY or to the final destination ?
    My insurance will have an issue if I insure a package for Europe but the shipping label shows KY..
    edited February 2014
    Insure to the Kentucky address. After that ebay takes responsibility for lids or damage
    Pitfall69madforLEGO
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    From a seller standpoint it is great. I normally did not sell overseas due to potential headaches, but if eBay wants to take that headache over for me and not charge me more for the service, I will not complain.