Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Cleaning Up the Piece Counts in the Database

ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
Hello all,
I was browsing the database and saw some sets where the number of pieces listed on the BrickSet database was actually lower than the parts inventory provided by LEGO.com. I submitted the contact form and got #7221-1 corrected, and then tried to do use the query builder to find other sets where the piece count seems to be incorrect. However, the current query builder does not allow you to do this query, so I emailed @Huw and got him to run a custom query for me that lists these sets, and he said I could post them on the forum. Maybe together we can work to clean up the inconsistencies in the database!

Attached is the Excel spreadsheet that he sent me, with some slight modifications (freeze the header row and add the percent column). Perhaps so that we aren't bugging him a lot, maybe we can post the correct piece counts in this thread and send them in batches, or he can monitor this thread and do them as he has time.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,222
    edited February 2014
    How do we know that the 'official' LEGO part count is accurate, though ?

Looking at the first two 'sets' on your Excel spreadsheet, both of which are Brick Separators, according to LEGO the part count for each of these is 2.....

I'd be at least as inclined to trust the Brickset (or Bricklink) parts counts as I would the 'official' LEGO one.
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    edited February 2014
    If you look at the 'official' LEGO part inventory for the first brick separator (#630-1), you can see that the inventory lists both the green one and the orange one. However, the image clearly shows that there is only the one. So, both #630-1 and #630-3 are kind of weird cases.

My main intent was that if people had the sets in question, they could update the info if they're not a weird case (as the brick separator case is). For example, 2509-1 Earth Dragon Defense. The BrickSet database lists it as having 225 pieces, and the LEGO inventory lists it as 226 pieces. However, the American box art (which lists the real 'official' piece count) shows it as having 227 pieces. As we know, LEGO's inventory is often incomplete, so if LEGO lists a greater number of pieces than the BrickSet database does, and it's not an anomalous case (like the brick separators), then we can see if the database needs to be updated.
    edited February 2014
    Hmm, doing some more research, 3065-1 Olivia's Tree House lists 191 pieces (which agrees with the box piece count) but LEGO's inventory lists 202 parts. So, you have a solid point in your favor. Now, I'm not so sure what to do.
  • theskirridtheskirrid Member Posts: 12
    We have this issue all the time at Rebrickable. Lego will list the sticker sheet in the piece count. The sheet has a DesignID and an ElementID that isn't exposed publicly, but is printed on the sheet. This makes all Brickset inventories that are one piece short and have a sticker sheet actually 100% correct for bricks.
    However they haven't always done this and I can't tell when they started.
    Because of the way Brickset harvests inventories many will be over the listed official amount because the parts query will return multiples of some parts if they have multiple ElementIDs.
    When we list sets at Rebrickable we tag them as checked/complete if one of the three admins have checked the set. This is only done from the instructions parts list [obviously only for recent sets], from the LEGO replacement parts server [the same as Huw does], or from a physical set.
    There will still be discrepancies [we don't list sprued items as one piece for example] as the whole point behind Rebrickable is the re-use of parts.
    There's also the issue of assemblies where LEGO used to supply some items [turntables for example] assembled, and now don't.
    Basically we just get as accurate as we can, and have to live with the fact that some sets are never going to agree with LEGO, but will still be 'correct'.
    Fair enough, and thanks for the info! I didn't realize it was going to be this complicated. I will have to rethink whether it will be worth it, then.
    edited February 2014
    #2509-1 is listed here as over piece count and doesn't even list the legs. It's a nightmare sometimes.
    EDIT: I think this is because the dragon head and jaw are supplied in one bag, so count as one piece.

Because of the way Brickset harvests inventories many will be over the listed official amount because the parts query will return multiples of some parts if they have multiple ElementIDs.

Brickset displayed part counts for sets long before inventories were harvested by the site.

Brickset displayed part counts for sets long before inventories were harvested by the site.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that? The way Brickset pulls inventories means that no matter how the total piece count is set, inventories may not pull correctly. It's LEGO's fault not yours, I hope you didn't get that impression.
    edited February 2014

I'm not sure what you mean by that? The way Brickset pulls inventories means that no matter how the total piece count is set, inventories may not pull correctly. It's LEGO's fault not yours, I hope you didn't get that impression.
    I was pointing out that the parts count shown in the set details box on the Brickset set page is not derived from the process of harvesting the inventories, and therefore your comment "Because of the way Brickset harvests inventories many will be over the listed official amount because the parts query will return multiples of some parts if they have multiple ElementIDs." doesn't address the question of the piece counts in the database.
    I was pointing out that the parts count shown in the set details box on the Brickset set page is not derived from the process of harvesting the inventories.

That was exactly my point, I didn't say that you got the totals that way. Sigh.
    You have an official piece total from LEGO.
    You then harvest the inventory automatically [as do we before we manually fix it]. If there's sticker sheets, or game cards, or a part has been given multiple ElementIDs, or is otherwise deprecated you won't match the official count. LEGO make it incredibly difficult to do these things automagically.
    I agree this doesn't address the piece counts being wrong, I was simply offering u/ricecake my take on the reasons for the disparity, and explaining why it was so difficult to have an accurate inventory. I meant no disrespect or offence, and was simply pointing out you have the same issues as everyone else does when attempting inventory management.

I meant no disrespect or offence, and was simply pointing out you have the same issues as everyone else does when attempting inventory management.

No worries - no disrespect or offence taken.

The take home message is that the inventories that we import from LEGO are, at this point, not a reliable indicator of the actual part count and shouldn't be interpreted that way - I think we're in violent agreement !
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,357
    edited February 2014
    Just for the record, the Brickset piece count is entered manually from either LEGO's declaration at shop.LEGO.com, from the box/bag, or for older sets, from BrickLink or elsewhere, collated over the last 14 years.

I personally wouldn't worry about a discrepency of up to 10% because there is no definitive way to count parts as others have said: e.g. as another example that causes differences, BrickLink doesn't count minifigs as a part (or if it does, as only one part, I believe) whereas LEGO will count it as at least 4.

• AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 758
    Also, some sets are modified over time with additional pieces added to improve stability/support or as replacements for discontinued pieces. In this case you'd need multiple records of the same set in order to accurately record them all, which would be difficult as some versions might only exist in certain markets.