Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Where to Get Replacement LEGO Parts

georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
I have some questions about the LEGO Replacement parts service. How do you contact them? I have used the webpage before, but never called them on the phone. Why would I feel nervous about calling them? I kind of feel dishonest or like I would be tricking them to order 200 of a particular part that came in quantities of 2 per set. Am I thinking too much about it? Do I have it right that I could just call them up and order 200 of the cows from MMV, or 100 of the 2x4x2/3 slope with gold stripes from Emerald Night? @Matthew, I have seen you post a few comments on this. Any clarification would be cool. Do you just have to know the element ID and the design ID? What is the difference between those? I know this seems really random and disjointed. If it is another topic already, forgive me.

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    George, although the replacement parts service is for replacement/missing parts, if they do have an element in quantity, they may be willing to sell them to you.

If a part is missing from a brand-new set, they may require your purchase receipt, and will send you the missing parts free of charge. If you have lost some parts from a set you have purchased previously, and they still have those parts in production, they will give you a price quote and you can purchase the missing parts.

If you are interested in 200 cows, your more likely option would be the LUGBULK program. William Reed explains this program here: http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/06/the-lego-lugbulk-program/

You can certainly call them and ask if they would have a particular part in quantity. I don't know how or why would that be considered "tricking them" as you have said. If they do have the part in quantity and they are willing to sell them to you, they will give you a price quote and you can buy them. And if they don't have them they will say so too, and they will likely direct you to Pick-A-Brick, the LUGBULK Program, or even Bricklink.

Hope this helps some!...(c;

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    As it happens, I was ordering cows from them yesterday. Depending on who you get, they will usually be accommodating, although there is a maximum of 15 different elements and 50 pieces per different part. The design ID is on the brick, and is used on BL, and the element ID is in the back of the instructions, you can use either, but you need to tell them which you're using. Some parts are vastly overpriced, like the AQ (CM) Microphone for £1.28! There is no problem with calling them, I've called them loads of times, as I've found that they are usually cheaper than BL. Since you mentioned the cows, it's £4.05 for the prepack including 2 cows and 4 horns, but not the brown bricks. (The B+W ones are cheaper, at 3.78 for the prepack) Any more questions feel free to ask, or even give them a call and ask, they don't bite! 00800 5346 5555 Option 1
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    ^^Akunthita - Thanks, I did know about the Lugbulk program but last year our lug missed the deadline, so we have to wait for the next round, and since they are only doing one round each year, it is a long wait :(

^Matthew - Thanks that is pretty much what I was looking for. I kind of got that impression seeing several of your posts about it, which is way I named you in the post :) When you consider it, 15x50 is a lot of pieces, that is a pretty big limit. Do they allow you to order licensed items as well, like SW minifigs, or HP purple bricks? I don't know why I feel nervous about it! Maybe because ever since I was a kid I dreamed of how awesome it would be to just call LEGO and order whatever you wanted. Now that I know it can be done it seems too good to be true, and if I say the wrong thing on the phone they will cut me off and revoke my privileges. Silly, I know, but I guess I will get over it when I finally call. :)
    You can usually get away with items that aren't specific to a licence, like POTC bottles or PoP Ostriches, but you wouldn't be so lucky with a stormie helmet for example.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2011
    Hello! So I finally got through the bulk of my sets, and now I have a list of parts to buy.
    I just went onto bricklink, and ideally I want to buy as much as possible from as few sellers as possible.

So I went through adding to my basket, but the basket is specific to each seller, which kind of confused me, so as that stands, it looks like I'd have to make loads of transactions (I need about 30 parts).

What's the best way to go about this? Is there a specific seller who would have a large number of parts?
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Baskets are always store specific and must be checked out individually. To see which shop has the most parts, you need to add the parts you need to a wanted list, then from the wanted list, click the 'By Shop' tab, this will show which stores have the highest number of parts from your wanted list. It is far from perfect though, different conditions of the same part will show as unique lots which can be misleading.

It's not exactly intuitive to do the above, so I don't blame you for missing it!
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 14
    Perfect, that's what I was after. Thanks Atkinsar!
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    edited April 2012
    I have used the replacement service a few time now and had no issues at all but i ordered about 22 pieces or so the other day and recieved an email today informing me they were sending the items to me for free!

Now i don't have a problem with this as Free lego is great. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if it was some kind of lottery Lego run where every 100th order get it for free or is it reward for using the service a few times?
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    Did you choose the option thay said the items were missing when you opened the set? Even if you selected thst you lost the items, I have found they often dont charge (or dont have a way to charge) because many of the items are not usually in the online Pick a Brick section.

Just another way LEGO goes above and beyond to delight customers. :)

Brent
  • padsoftwarepadsoftware Member Posts: 2
    Don't cheat, even if you can get away with it. It just isn't nice.
    No i haven't cheated i selected replacement parts and the set is the 4559: Cargo Railway from 1996 the email is below:

Dear Jamie,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I'm sorry to hear your LEGO® piece needs replacing. We get to play with LEGO sets all day long (the best job in the world?), so I know that sometimes a piece wears out or gets lost.

That's why I've asked for a replacement piece to be sent out to you. We always try to match the colour you want, but sometimes stocks run low, so we might have to send you a different one.

Although we usually ask people to pay for replacement pieces I will be sending this one for free - so you can get building again and have fun!

Your LEGO parts are on their way from our warehouse in Denmark and should be there within 7 business days.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Sincerely,

Steve
    LEGO Direct Consumer Services

Did You Know?
    The LEGO Group is Number 1 in the 2007 World's Most Respected Companies survey!

Unless out of the 22 pieces i ordered only one is being sent. Most pieces i ordered are standard ones. Oh will have to wait and see.
    I'd guess they just didnt want to bother with charging you for so few pieces. After credit card processing fees, they probably would have lost money anyway.

Brent
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I've had minifigures that I have found cracked arms or some parts missing, or even I once lost a Star wars clones war figure, they sent these out to me for free.
    I have ordered less than this before and paid, my last order was something like 15 parts whcih came to 3quid i think. Just goes to show Lego are a great company.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Lego is giving Amazon a run for its money building the worlds most customer centric company. :)
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    I needed only one replacement part for a polybagged BrickMaster set(Atlantis Neptune Microsub) that came damaged and they just sent me the whole sealed polybag again. So I roughly got 62 plus extra pieces. Make Mine Lego!
    I bought a HP Hogwarts Express yesterday from a "returned goods seller." It was missing the sticker sheet and a few minor parts. I called LEGO and wanted to pay for the parts, and they wouldn't let me... :)

They *are* giving Amazon a run for their money... too bad they only sell LEGO. lol

Brent
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    I think there have been some computer glitches with their direct service. I have experienced exactly the same thing several times in the last few weeks. On both occasions i ordered very large numbers of Lego and started to receive 'random' free bags containing 1 of each of the elements i had paid for. It actually got quite confusing as i rang to see what was going on and they said not to worry about the fee elements and reordered one of the paid for orders, which then turned up anyway so i ended up paying for (and getting) two of the same order and a free sample of that order. The second example went the same way except when the real order arrived they had shipped the wrong element anyway, again i offered to send them back but they didn't want them and have since shipped the correct order.
    Never had this before (and i use this service a lot). I expect they will sort it out and back to usual service (which is good service anyway) soon.
    It depends who you get. I had Steve also send me out something I was expecting to pay for for free, and Federica sent me for free, a 16 x 32 baseplate that I rang up to pay £4 for!
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,093
    We always try to match the colour you want, but sometimes stocks run low, so we might have to send you a different one.
    Maybe one of the pieces you ordered will be sent in a different color and to compensate for that they decided to send you the rest of the 21 pieces free?
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    I called the other day because my VIP points were negative and it said that I returned something. I just asked if they could fix it and explained that I did not return anything. The lady on the phone couldn't have been any nicer. She said the computer was having problems and gave me $100 credit to my VIP points. I was not asking or expecting anything. That was way above and beyond. I also want to add that I love Amazon customer service too.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    ^$100! wow! I had to phone about 4 times to get a VIP glitch sorted and I only got £5 worth! Still good, but it did take a lot of time and many emails to sort out. and I still 2 months later don't have a vip card.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    Doesn't $100 credit = $5 to spend, ie the same as you got Sav? (apart from the exchange rate obviously)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Ah, right. That makes more sense. Not $100 of points to spend!
    I only got 20 extra points when I called because a [email protected] order didn't register the points...
    No...they actually gave me 2000 VIP points=$100 credit. They did have to issue a new VIP card to me as the account was messed up. It stated my points were negative and I had returned something. When I called I was very pleasant. I just needed it fixed as I shop all the time and never had returned anything. As I stated I did not expect or ask for anything other than my points to go back to zero. It was unexpected. I do spend alot with them, but I do think they have very nice customer service.
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    Check this out.. I had 3000 or so points and one day it went to a negative number just like @momof2boys with fake returns (some sort of scam?) So after like 10 phone calls over 2 weeks they gave up trying to fix it, gave me a new VIP account and doubled my points to 6000 for the trouble. They said it would take up to 24 hours for the points to appear in my new account.

Another week and 5 more phone calls later I finally got my 12000 points... Some other csr must have doubled them again and I'm not calling for a 16th time to find out why.

And no VIP card for me either.
    pcirone- They must be having something going on with their computers. My first question was "Is my info safe?" She told me it was just the computers. I just was one phone call. You on the other hand have had quite a bit. I guess everyone should check there VIP accounts.
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    This was 2 months ago, maybe they know how to fix it now.
    Oh....mine was just this past week. I guess it is a work in progress?
  • vanhanvanhan Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for this information. I was wondering what was going on with my VIP points as well. I spend 2500 at the Lego store at one visit, purchased a few death stars and star destroyers and somehow my VIP points was only $25. When I checked, it didn't look like all my purchases was recorded. May have to give Lego cs a call tomorrow.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    When I was 17, I came home one day to a box in front of my door. It was from LEGO. I opened it up and there was a bag filled with Lego pieces. The invoice said it was paid for with a Visa card. Problem is, my mom filed bankruptcy when I was 13, so she hadn't had a credit card in at least 4 years. I called them up and told them they made a mistake and we could send it back, but they refused and said it was paid for and enjoy.
  • bor2112bor2112 FloridaMember Posts: 321
    ^I think I more desirous of being 17 again than of receiving free Lego :)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^^ sounds like you have/had a kind friend/family member who wanted to treat you, I have done similar in the past incognito (I didn't do it for thanks, seeing someone happy is thanks enough).
    Just be thankful :)
    I was. I kept them until my oldest son turned 5 and I gave them to him.
  • EracerMikeyEracerMikey ScotlandMember Posts: 25
    One of the reasons you may get "Free" lego replacements is if the part you need to replace is from a licensed set. Due to the terms and conditions of the license, Lego are not able to charge for replacement of the "special" bricks (e.g. Batman's Mask, Joker's Face etc). I believe it's at the Customer Service Agent's disgression to send the licensed bricks out free of charge. They get shipped seperately from any bricks you purchase through the replacement parts service.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    I bought a set from a seller on ebay who had trusted her 9 y old son and his grandmother to build it to be sure it was complete but they took license with it and we were missing 4 or 5 parts. She found all but two in their Lego bin, and ordered those from Lego and they sent them to both of us for the price of one order. TLG Rocks!
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    I think TLG keeps a record of the missing pieces you order. After a certain amount, they start asking questions like the receipt number or something.
    I have never had them ask me for a receipt, but they did ask for the code on the back of the instruction booklet.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,062
    We get to play with LEGO sets all day long (the best job in the world?),
    Steve does sound sure if it is the best job in the world :-D