What is the best way to Sell a Maersk Triple E 10241 set?

I have just been given/won a lego set at work and although I love lego, my gf doesnt really want the set built and on display in our little flat. I joined this forum to seek advice; what is the best way to sell a set and how do I know what its worth?

Many thanks,

JR

Comments

• allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    Is selling GF and building/displaying the set an option? :-)

It just came out in January... although it is out of stock in the US right now. Its for sale at $150 USD. Its not rare, just popular since it just came out. The usual places you sell things like eBay, Craigslist are probably your best bets.

Someone here may buy it from you, but since you've just joined someone would need to take a risk.

Price it a little less than retail (at least 10% or more) if you want to sell it in my opinion... otherwise, it would make sense for people just to buy it from LEGO.
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    You can also post for trade/sale in the Brickset marketplace forum.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,828
    I would echo the above comments about listing it here. Just put what country/area you live in and you may find someone nearby who will be glad to take it off your hands. You can scan the Marketplace Feedback thread for assurance of the quality of dealers and buyers on the forum. Plus you won't have eBay or Paypal taking fees
  • PaperbackwriterPaperbackwriter Member Posts: 105
    Personally, I'd be looking for gf advice and not lego advice. But, that's just me......
    BumblepantsBrickDancerGothamConstructionCoFollowsCloselycoachieBig_Blue_Winky
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    jerose said:

I have just been given/won a lego set at work and although I love lego, my gf doesnt really want the set built and on display in our little flat. I joined this forum to seek advice; what is the best way to sell a set and how do I know what its worth?

Many thanks,

JR

You do realize that you're now already bitten, and that if you do manage to sell it, you'll regret it, because it will be "the set" that brought you back, and a you'll have to go buy it back. Perhaps just put it in a closet until you get a new girlfriend.
    mdellemanLegoboymargotBig_Blue_Winky
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    edited February 2014

jerose said:

Many thanks,

JR

You do realize that you're now already bitten, and that if you do manage to sell it, you'll regret it, because it will be "the set" that brought you back, and a you'll have to go buy it back. Perhaps just put it in a closet until you get a new girlfriend.
    Wow, thats kinda harsh about getting a new GF.. :-)
    I would say though that you hit it partially on the head.. They should store it if they will get a bigger place, maybe have a room where they can display it without eye rolling.

I'll say to the OP:
    You really have to ask yourself how much enjoyment you will get from building and displaying it. If you think that 1 year from now that it would be gathering dust and you'll be thinking you want to sell it, then sell it now and get it over with. Again like others have said eBay or Craigslist, which ever you are comfortable with, unless someone here wants to do a deal with you (remember that eBay and Paypal take about 15% of the total if you sell via eBay-at least that is how it is in US)
    But if you think 'I can see that sitting in a room somewhere one year from now', then keep it. But ensure you do it and you do it on your feelings and do not pin it on what the GF thinks.
    Hey, others said it too!

But in fairness, here's what I saw "I love lego, my gf doesnt..."

I call em like I see em.
    @theLoneTensor

Right you are!
  • jerosejerose Member Posts: 3
    Wow - you guys are amazingly quick at responding - thank you. Maybe I'll have to have children to justify lego in the house again!! I know that children will definately see a return of hornby 00 & lego - my GF will be pleased that i've found an extra couple of pro's for kids.

If I open the box and build it does it lose much value?

JR
    Build it, already! Yes, it will lose some value but you will have gained the experience and the fun! But, not enough value will be lost to ruin your retirement planning. Have fun!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Sell it.

Firstly, if you're thinking about it the way you appear to be you'll regret opening it and selling it used.

Secondly, there are much better sets to use to encourage your GF into accepting LEGO (even if its not for a few more years), the Maersk is likely to put her off even more.

Thirdly, as much as I love LEGO its never as much fun as a happy girlfriend. Quite frankly the maersk isn't good enough to risk upsetting her for.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,086
    ^ Over time, you will NOT lose value. Build it now and enjoy! It will retire in a few years (by the time your tired of it and ready for a new display model) and the value will increase over MSRP. Also, you said that you got it for free, so you will make money either way.

On the GF, tell her that you will forget Lego and pursue more manly activities like motorcycle racing, skirt chasing and all night boozing. Bet she will stop fussing when presented with those options!
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    Sell it and buy Parisian Cafe. This is the best advice you will receive here today... :)
    FollowsClosely
    ^
    Great advice. Provided you are 8 years old and like modulars.
    His gf will like it more than a boat, and it's a much more satisfying build.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Build it, sell it, lose around a tenner.

That tenner lost will be worth it just for the experience and fun building it.
  • jerosejerose Member Posts: 3
    Thanks gang - plan is as follows after all your advice. Build it, sell it and enjoy both building it and free cash dollar as i never paid for it in the first place.
    FollowsClosely
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited February 2014
    It seems like you are interested in the model, but since it was a gift and not your choosing, I dare say there might be other models you prefer, and maybe as importantly, that your girlfriend prefers.

Do you have a LEGO store in proximity? If you do, LEGO stores take returns without receipt for unopened, current merchandise and will allow an exchange for a different set(s).
    FollowsCloselydrdavewatford
    edited February 2014
    I'm with @rocao, because one thing about that model is all the stickers. Putting stickers on pieces is not at all what I consider to be fun, and this has a TON of stickers.

Plus, if you and your future ex-gf go into the Lego store, you may end up with a set that you both agree on and will be excited to have, or just a smaller set that you can display and pocket the rest of the money, etc.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited February 2014
    Yep agreed there are plenty of better looking and more interesting sets than the maersk. Does she like the Simpson's? Or Halloween? Who doesn't? In fact the haunted house would be much better as Lego will probably never make another one. And when you do have kids they'll prefer it to a big blue boat. Any of the modulars would also be better.
    ... like the Cafe for example.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Exchanging it for the Parisian Restaurant #10243 (and a bit of cash) is an inspired suggestion.
    FollowsClosely
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I actually have a fondness for all things LEGO Maersk, and I don't fault the OP if that's where his interest lies (he didn't say what his work is, and I'm guessing it may be related).

I was just echoing that he had options, and wanted to point out that it didn't need to be as involved as selling and re-buying.

As a point of clarification, I don't think you can expect to pocket cash if you go the exchange route, but you can get merchandise credit.
    edited February 2014
    Sorry, yes, I shouldn't have used shorthand. What my comment is supposed to mean is and paying a bit of cash.
    ^^ I'm with you on the Maersk fondness. That's actually why I feel cheated on #10241 that they used stickers over printing.
    edited February 2014
    It had the potential to be a tremendous set but to my mind there's dozens and dozens of stickers to apply, each of which says "don't buy this set".
    FollowsClosely
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401

^
    Great advice. Provided you are 8 years old and like modulars.

I think you left out "at least" before "8 years old".
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,835
    Have we considered that the GF might not want any Lego in her house, but sees the set as potential new handbag money? :)

I read it as a space issue, a large set displayed in a flat with limited space? Swap it for something with a smaller footprint that you'd like just as much?

My Missus doesn't want my Lego collection creeping out of my Mancave, with the possible exception of a Christmassy set like Winter Village, displayed at Christmas.
    Nope. 10243. The dumbing down of the modular building series.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949

Have you built it? I enjoyed the build., very much so.

I'm not following. Why is this set a dumbing down of the modulars?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ Because some people don't like it and have to remind us of that in every single thread.
    LostInTranslationcheshirecatBumblepants
    Uh huh, you got it. My new mission is to mention how much I think it sucks in every thread. Including every visit I make to the local lego store. It really seems to get under the skin of the 'lego can do no wrong' absolutists. Seriously, look at why the modular series was created. Then see how 10243 moves from the original intent to something that belongs in the friends or Duplo series. I mean every lego product is a toy, but they don't all have to look like they belong next to a collection of Barbies.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    While I certainly have some issues with #10243, it has no relation at all to Duplo or Friends, and in fact the closest similar sets to the Parisian Restaurant are indeed the other Modulars. That kind of absurd and exaggerated hyperbole really hurt any credibility your argument may have on the more specific points.
    hewmanBumblepants
    Would be interested to know what the original intent was and how #10243 moves away from that.
    This is the Internet. Credibility is never an issue. How to I post on the Internet? Just like I speak in real life, except I don't worry about facts or credibility here on the Internet.
    That's an odd attitude.

I bet you don't even write paperbacks ;)
    scrumper
    ^
    No, I don't. It was a Beatles song that was playing on the radio when I registered.

Yes, and I'm an odd person. But happy... :-)
    What in the hell happened to this thread? It's like that star trek prof guy returned.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    edited February 2014
    I thank the Lord you didn't use the @ sign just then. It would be like chanting Beetlejuice 3 times.
    cheshirecatBumblepantsDad
    I guess we couldn't get the OPs priorities straightened out so we moved on to other more esoteric discussions.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^LMAO!!!
    Legoboy said:

I thank the Lord you didn't use the @ sign just then. It would be like chanting Beetlejuice 3 times.

Oh believe me, that was intentional.
    Dad