Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

3rd party Amazon seller - order cancelled

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. I placed an order on Amazon for a #21000 Willis Tower set from a third party seller for a very low price ($9.99 plus shipping). It was llisted in shipping prep up until this morning, and then it was cancelled, because the seller indicated that it was no longer in stock. When I went to Amazon, the seller has the item still listed, but now for $39.99 plus shipping. When I add it to my cart, it indicates that there are 7 left in stock.
I can't leave the seller negative feedback, because when I click on the order, it just shows that it was cancelled, with nothing I can click on.

I called Amazon, and they said that they would forward the information to a team that deals with sellers, but I'm frustrated that I can't leave feedback for others so that they can be wary. Does anyone know if there is another way to leave feedback, or if I'm out of luck? I can't blame them for not wanting to sell it to me for $9.99, but they are the ones that posted it for that price.

Comments

• SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited February 2014
    They listed it at the wrong price, you said yourself you cant blame them for not selling at that price, is it really worth leaving them negative feedback because of a small mistake?

• khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,232
    ^ To me, it would be more that the seller seems to have lied, rather than the mistake itself.
    BuriedinBricksdougts
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    ^^ If it was accidental, the seller should take responsibility for their mistake. Either honor the price, or contact the buyer and let them know it was a mistake and not just blindly cancel the order. Cancelling with no notice because of your own mistake as a seller is definitely worthy of negative feedback in my opinion.
    dougtsTheLoneTensornkx1Yellowcastle
    ^Yeah i agree they should have made contact before canceling but its still not negative feedback worthy in my book.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,815
    It also depends what options amazon gives them for the cancellation.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Their metrics have already taken a hit for canceling your order, so you can at least take solace in that. :)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    You actually still can leave them negative feedback, but you have to go to your account and click on the leave feedback link (for all orders). It will be listed there.

That being said, it is quite possible it was an Amazon mistake and not a seller mistake. From time to time, Amazon will screw up a price, or old stock that was sold out gets relisted.

Or it could have been a typo on the seller's part, it happens. They typed 9.99 instead of 39.99 and simply missed the 3.

Since this set was $19.99 originally, I find it unlikely a third party seller would ever intentionally list it for $9.99.

It was an honest mistake, if you really want to enforce the sale, you're just asking for a give away from a seller. Yes, they made a mistake, but it sounds like an honest one.
    Bandit said:

Their metrics have already taken a hit for canceling your order, so you can at least take solace in that. :)

Yep, you can only cancel so many orders before your account gets reviewed, so this isn't something a seller wants to do often.
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 359
    I don't blame them for not wanting to fulfill the order for $10. What bothered me was the cancellation for "not having it in stock" when they had 7 of them listed for sale at a higher price. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a better cancellation option for them on Amazon, so that is what they chose. Comes down to common curtesy I guess. For all I know, sending a note saying "sorry, it was a pricing error and we can't fulfill at that price" would have made some people even madder. I would have just liked them to be upfront about it. (And of course I'd have loved to get it for $15 shipped, but who wouldn't?? :) )
    edited February 2014
    grr. wrong thread...
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I recently had a similar situation, about two weeks ago a Third Party seller had an SSD listed at $360 and only $21 shipping to Australia. Worked out about $100 AUD less than direct from Amazon. I ordered and got a shipping confirmation with tracking (USPS status still just has "Electronic Shipping Info Received"). Just yesterday I got an email from Amazon telling me that I have been refunded as item is "Out of stock".

A bit bummed about it, but as Amazon charge $70 to ship this I do not know how it would be possible for a third party seller to do it for $21, so was half expecting a cancellation (just not sure why I got a shipping confirmation and it took 2 weeks to cancel). Sure I would have preferred an email advising that they stuffed up but I do believe this to be a honest mistake so I'll just let it be.

If I thought it was some deliberate attempt at, well, something?? (Not sure what) I would leave negative feedback to warn others.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    ^ Just a guess on the shipping confirmation aspect. I think they got it ready to ship, maybe even printed and attached the label, but didn't actually ship it. It seems to be pretty standard practice. So, it may wait in queue to be picked up for hours or even days. During that time the seller can figure how what they are about to do and cancel the order. I'm thinking they can do that while it's still in their possession, even with a shipping label already printed or on the box.
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    Ironically, this just happened to me with a PS Vita. A third party seller had just listed their used Vita for $120, it was being processed for shipping, then all of a sudden cancelled without warning. I contacted the seller, who gave some BS about how he had to figure out his return policy, then sent me an email stating if I still want it, he had put it up on eBay for $150. I was quite upset since this seemed like a major cop-out, because he figured he could get more for it. I still left him negative feedback.
    That seller probably doesn't care, but you can report him for off site selling, those emails go through Amazon's system and they can read them, that will get him reviewed and perhaps suspended depending on if he has any other infractions.
  • preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 89
    Quick question on a related subject: I've ordered a couple of nicely priced old sets from an Amazon seller. While I was doing it, I decided to check their other listings to see if there was something else I like. It seems most of their sets - including some current, basic ones - are listed for $499.99, $999.99 or something to that effect. I imagine it's their way of not having anybody buy them, but why? Is there a penalty for removing listings?
    Some larger sellers never pull listings, they just have placeholder prices.

Why? Who knows, but I see it quite often, and not just in toys. You'll find old books with a price of $9,999.99 when there are a hundred copies for $5.
    ^Ive always thought they do it while waiting for stock.

The more watchers and page views a certain listing gets the better visibility it gets.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    It's just simpler to do. I sell books on Amazon myself and it is very easy to change prices in your dashboard on an already listed item. If I would remove the book I would have to go thru the whole process again of finding the book, then setting up the condition, make appropriate notes, etc.