Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

sdetsky: Request Valuation - Used Green Grocer

I have an opportunity to buy a collection of around 30 used sets with the main set being Green Grocer. I can figure out roughly what I value the other sets (another modular, some retired City and Farm sets, some retired Creator houses, etc.) but the value on the Green Grocer will have the most impact on what I'm willing to spend. I am not planning on reselling. Thanks.

Comments

• bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    I would say depends on does it miss a lot of pieces? if not, I would max out at 350 on local trade, ebay of course go for more. I got two from Craigslist, one from 2012, around 250, then the 2nd one for under 100 in 2013! but the one in 2013 is more completed compare to the 2012
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    According to Bricklink 6 month history, they sold from $255 to $600.
    If it is in good condition, complete with instructions and box, $600 sounds right. The cheapest complete GG on is $650.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,199
    sdetsky said:

I am not planning on reselling.

If you are not selling it, then how much do you want a GG - how much would you be willing to pay. That is your answer.
    ColoradoBricksLegoboydatsunrobbie
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2014
    ^ This is similar to the thought process I have when waffling on selling a set that I might want to keep. If the going rate is something that I'd be willing to pay to get it, I usually keep it. Otherwise, on the block it goes.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,364
    Apologies for the bump, but don't want to clog things with another thread. A friend off mine wants me to move a nib GG for him. Box is a little worn and one end has a broken seal (the other is a little stretched.)

Given the box is not pristine, do I hurt the value much if I go ahead and break the seal to verify the contents? All lego would still be in sealed bags. Since it has not been in my custody the whole time, would you insist on doing a check before selling it?
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 946
    I would verify. It's your reputation. It will hurt the value, but the damage has already been done.
    dougts
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    edited February 2014
    I would just weight it and leave sealed.

Actually on second thoughts ^ is the right advice.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited February 2014
    Agreed. Given the prices of the GG, people buying it are likely builders, and not necessarily speculators. A verified open box/sealed bags would be worth more to me than a questionably-sealed box.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    Or just ask the buyer what they prefer.
    edited February 2014
    @wagnerml2 - I can do that if I sell it here. Doing that on ebay is probably an invitation to get scammed by someone.

On that note, what's a good value on a NIB GG, with one seal broken, another questionable, and a fair amount of wear on the box (no holes, but certainly some rough edges and compression)?
    blech. Cracked open the box to verify contents. Forgot that LEGO used to package instructions without a cardboard backing. Not destroyed, but they are certainly spending some time under heavy books before being bagged/boarded and going back in the box.
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 238
    How do you verify that green grocer is authentic. Not that it's Lego but what parts are rare/make it a unique and pricey set? I am not too familiar and would like to get educated.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,081
    Go find the set here in the Brickset data base and click on the "parts" tab. 

Here's the link to the GG:

https://brickset.com/sets/10185-1/Green-Grocer

You will see every part that the GG has and how many sets that part is in. As you scroll through the list, you will easily see which parts are rare.

Here are some of them:

2x#92903: Blue 1x3x2 bow. $3-5 each
    50x#3008: Sand Green 1x8 Brick. $3-6 each(!)

• mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 238
    Thanks for the info that helps. If it's assembled, what do you look for if it is said to be complete and if you have a limited amount of time. Blue pieces in awning are easy what else could be a good check?
  • GoodCoffeeJoeyGoodCoffeeJoey Member Posts: 81
    The sand green 1 x 2 brick modified with groove and sand green 2 x 8 bricks are the most important. Most of the sand green 1 x 2 brick modified with groove are visible on the front exterior and most of the 1 x 8 bricks are visible on the sides and back. Otherwise there's the printed 1 x 4 tiles around the front door and the dark red inverted 73 degree slopes that make up the curtains in the front windows are easy to check for.
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 301
    You can actually get away with replacing the 1x8s with 1x2 and 1x6 next to each other. They're both available on Bricks and Pieces. Thirty-six cents for a 1x6 is a lot better than $3 to $6 apiece for 1x8s, especially when yoiu need 50 of them. Bricks and Pieces has quite a bit of what you need: I just built a BL'd GG myself two weeks ago. If you have the bricks, build a test model with different color 1x2 and 1x6s to make sure they overlap correctly and get a bead on how many you need. You need 48 of the 1x2 grooved bricks; the rest of them are buried in the structure and you can use regular 1x2s. The other rare pieces actually aren't that expensive. 
    omnium
  • mleslie5mleslie5 Kansas CityMember Posts: 3
    I just sat down and did the math on the amounts I would need if I replaced the 1x8's with 1x6's and the 1x2's with groove with masonry bricks. Now it has a much happier price tag.
    omnium
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,374
    Fortunately I BL'd mine four years ago (blimey time goes fast), when the Groove brick had *just* gone out of production, so the price of them wasn't stupid. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't ridiculous.

The 1x8 bricks on the other hand, I replaced with a mix of 1x4, 1x2 and 1x6 bricks. I wasn't paying £2.50 per brick from America! They're just on the sides and back through, so from the front you can't tell it's BL'd :)
    omniumsnowhitie
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    The 1x8 bricks on the other hand, I replaced with a mix of 1x4, 1x2 and 1x6 bricks. I wasn't paying £2.50 per brick from America! They're just on the sides and back through, so from the front you can't tell it's BL'd :)
    We all know, though.

;-)
    BumblepantsSirKevbagssid3windrSprinkleOtterSumoLegosnowhitie
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,374
    I think you're under the mistaken assumption that I'm bothered! ;)
    SprinkleOtterSumoLegosnowhitiepharmjod
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,333
    (All it means is that you don't actually own the set...)
    davetheoxygenmanLegoboypharmjod
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,199
    SumoLego said:
    (All it means is that you don't actually own the set...)
    He bricklinked it anyway, so still wouldn't own it even if they were the correct parts. :-)
    gmonkey76
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 301
    And the Ship Of Theseus argument continues.
    AllBrickcatwrangler