Yorkshire Brickshow

SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
The good folks at Brickshire are hosting a fantastic event at the National Mining Museum at Wakefield on the 22nd and 23rd of February. Lots of amazing mocs on display and Fairy Bricks will be there. Thanks to @TheCableGuy we will be raffling off a new and sealed Tower Bridge. Also lots of great smaller prizes, many from Brickset members, donated at various times but more suited for prizes than children in hospital.

Entry is free so if you're in the area pop along and say hello. Another Tower Bridge will be live built over the weekend and you can have an hour on the bricks if you fancy it!

http://yorkshirebrickshow.co.uk/
PaperballparkStormKittyandheLostInTranslationpricey73

Comments

• StormKittyStormKitty Member Posts: 268
    I'll be there modelling my Fairy Bricks t-shirt on the Saturday and my Brickshire one on the Sunday, come say hello ;-)
    Legoboy
  • woodstockwoodstock Member Posts: 31
    4 days to go :D
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,450
    I'll be there exhibiting my trains as part of a collaborative layout :)
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Just a reminder folks to pop along over the weekend if you can. Free fun for all the family.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,272
    I cannot make it as I am all the way down on the South coast, but good luck to all. I hope it goes well!
    @CapnRex101 you're covered. Head to Brighton for Model World 2014
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Are most vendors likely to be cash type folks? Going to try and head along but not sure whether I should take some cash out first!
    Always bring cash! Better to be safe than sorry :-)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,756
    I'm coming, bringing some friends and their kids for cover. Here's hoping it'll be more than a couple of trestle tables or I may have to feign a massive interest in coal mining...

:D
    StormKitty
    @andhe If you need an excuse to stay longer there is a Tower Bridge that needs building ;-) and another one that needs winning!
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    Arena is all set up, no trestle tables but dead posh sturdy ones! And level :))

The room we're in is pretty much full, so plenty to see.

SirKevbags
    Level? You must have had good tables! The collaborative train layout has tables that are half an inch higher and lower than each other, which is a lot when you have train track going between tables.

There's a lot of cardboard under table legs now...
    I'll pass some foam squares your way tomorrow.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 474
    I'm wanting to head over there from Sheffield, but hearing it's absolutely rammed over there right now! I've only been to one other show in Manchester a couple of years ago... do these things ease off a bit in the afternoon?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Was hoping to go today but forgot about a kids party and swimming lessons, hopefully tomorrow.
    This show is a massive success! It's been rammed since it opened, and the queue to get in is still at least 100m long. The police even had to close the car park barrier first thing because so many were trying to get in.
    LostInTranslation
  • LightningSeedLightningSeed Member Posts: 12
    It might be a success in the sense that alot of people turned up but the venue is too small to cope. We turned up just before 12 and were told it would be atleast a 3 hour wait. Desided that waiting so long with no guarantee of getting in wasnt ideal with a small child and have had to leave very disappointed. Shame as it took us 1hour 30 mins to get there. At xscape instead. Hopefully next time a better venue will be chosen.
    We got there just after 10 and maybe queued for 40min or so (to get in the building) then another 15 or so queueing through the cafe to get into the conference room.

There were definately more than three trestle tables... And DEFINATELY more than a handful of people! The place was heaving! I thought the 'spot the hero' sheet was a great idea, and enjoyed looking at all the MOCs (and recognising peoples name tags).

Traders seem a bit optimistically priced, but personalised figs seemed to be doing a good business and had a good spot by the exit.

I think I'd ban buggies in future as they were potentially a hazard, but over all there's obviously a market for a northern lego show!
  • ndmercndmerc Member Posts: 1
    I have to echo the sentiment of lightningseed. We also travelled for 90 minutes with an excited 4 year old to reach the roadside at just on 12.00 and be told that there was no chance of entry. It's always difficult with a first event but is does appear to have been way over subscribed in terms of visitor numbers and therefore the venue doesn't appear to be a good choice. Meadowhall and the nearest Lego store for us with conciliation present for the boy.
    I'm really sorry to hear people have had to make long trips and we're unable to get in. Museum staff worked as hard as possible to make sure everyone was looked after and I think given the circumstances did a fabulous job.
    I think the issue was because it's not been held before, no-one had any idea how many people would turn up. I don't think anyone expected the numbers that did turn up. As someone said, if it had snowed last night, no-one would have turned up today.

It's all a learning curve, and I'm sure next year most of these issues will have been ironed out.

To put the numbers in perspective, if they'd been able to let everyone in, we'd have beaten the (one day) turnout for STEAM today - in a far smaller space. No-one expected that kind of turnout.
    andhecaperberry
    The dads and lads I came with really enjoyed themselves. I obviously knew of it from the forums here (and subsequently invited my friends and their kids along), but where else was it advertised? Just interested to know where the crowds came from.
    As far as I know (I wasn't involved in promoting it) it was in the local paper yesterday, and has been shared around a few thousand people on facebook by a couple of the vendors. Other than that I don't know, but however it was done, it worked!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
    What were the actual displays like?
  • dfurndfurn Member Posts: 191

I'm really sorry to hear people have had to make long trips and we're unable to get in. Museum staff worked as hard as possible to make sure everyone was looked after and I think given the circumstances did a fabulous job.

Hmmm well as much as it was nice of the NCM people to host the event they could have been more creative with the entry procedure and not forced people to queue twice. I realise they have to count the people in and were probably happy to have the positive effect on visitor numbers for the day. But I have to respectfully differ from Kev's comment above; the museum could have done better. The individual staff were great though.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Would like to have gone in but turned away as soon as I arrived on hearing there was a 1hr 30min queue. Not sure whether to try again tomorrow or if it'll be the same story. Anyone take any pictures for those of us that couldn't get in?
  • camusdarrachcamusdarrach Member Posts: 15
    My own viewpoint of the event.
    Arrived with my family at 10:10 am, joined the queue, finally got into the exhibition room at 11:55 !
    To be honest we were not impressed by the exhibit's, the train layouts were basically Lego modulars, with road plates and current City vehicles, and a few Lego trains running around.
    There were a few Mocs, IMHO the best was a four stud wide " Boris Master", but was disappointed that Mocs were few and far between.
    As for prams, yes we took ours, try holding a baby for the best part of two hours queuing, far more dangerous were the idiots with rucksacks, I was hit once, my children several times, not once did anybody apologise, indeed my 7 year old gained a black eye thanks to a middle aged man, whom seemed annoyed that any child was even allowed in the place.

To those that didn't get in, tbh you didn't miss much, as quite a few others people agreed, the number of times people leaving the hall said as much to those queuing to get in, indeed we lost count of the times we were told.
    As for parking, when we left at 13:00, the car park was full, and the line of parked cars on the roadside stretched down the road to the next village, approx 1/4 mile away.
    As has been stated earlier, the museum staff were fantastic, but the Brickshire members seemed to be in their own little clique's, it would have been nice if at least one of them wandered amongst those queuing to thank them for coming, and apologising for the long delays.

Sorry to rant on, I have no wish to start any arguments, indeed I have thought long and hard before posting, but maybe there can be some lesson's learnt for tomorrow, or indeed in future events.
    Thanks
    edited February 2014
    Its a shame alot of events end up like this i mean it is lego the no1 toy of all time in most charts. Look at what happened with the star wars open auditions. With something so popular you should expect a big turnout.

I noticed the advert on brickset but it was mentioned in quite afew places due to the films release etc. Glad we didnt miss much. Ill take a look at the pictures, just sucks we drove all the way for it to not get in. On the plus side we did buy alot of chocolate and sweets from castleford.

Tip for anyone going tomorrow get there for when it opens.
    I'm knackered after a very busy day but I need to answer some of the points raised. I'm not looking to start a debate because frankly I'm to tired and I'm back again tomorrow.

The turnout was way beyond what either us as exhibitors expected and more importantly what the museum staff expected. A new event is always a gamble and the amount of work that goes into pulling this kind of thing of can't be underestimated. I stand by my opinion that the staff did a wonderful job. People can suggest that's easy for me to say as I didn't have to stand in line, fair enough but when there are more people than space what exactly are they supposed to do, beyond being polite. The venue can't be made bigger.

In my opinion there are some fantastic displays. Some featured retail sets but those were very much in the minority.

I spoke personally to over 500 people today. Not just a quick chat but conversations. All of the feedback was positive. Yes some found the standing in line with children difficult but accepted there wasn't much else that could have been done.

I witnessed Brickshire, Brickish, and Northern Brickworks members having a great time with the public all day. We had children building a Tower Bridge without drama and happy visitors so to suggest there were cliques between members is bordering on the ridiculous.

Was it a perfect day? Was it a perfect event? Of course it wasn't. Show me one that is. But enough of the negatives. For the first day of a first time exhibition to attract 3500 visitors is in my opinion to be applauded.
    andheiainy73
  • camusdarrachcamusdarrach Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2014
    Seems he was in a separate venue then, tbh. All the people we saw wearing the Brickshire jumpers were stood behind tables chatting between themselves, a point made by several other visitors too.
    Yes, there was a lot of people there, but the way the people were managed needs resolving.
    I speak from experience, having run a few events in the past.
    You need to keep the general public happy, otherwise you have problems.!
    Not wishIng to have a go, but feedback has to be acknowledged.
    I can understood that the event was far more popular than anticipated, but I standby my obsevation of the standard of the exhibits.
    Seeing as I'm up stupidly early I'll try and respond to concerns. Just to point out I didn't organise the show personally and was there in a Fairy Bricks capacity.

Feedback is being acknowledged by both the venue and LUG members with regards to how the volume of people is managed. However in the thick of the action I doubt a perfect solution can be found. I've not planned an event like this so I'm not going to offer a solution. I would think though without knowledge of the venue and available staff that would be true of everyone else despite their experience.

On the whole the public were happy yesterday. Of course there were some people unhappy with the wait times and I completely understand that. Again though at 11am when way more people have arrived than expected I don't see what more could be done. You can't get a pint in a half pint pot.

As for the standard of exhibits, that is very much a statement of opinion. In mine there were some fantastic displays from the large like the LEGO ARENA to the smaller scales like those offered by Jim Walshe. I can't see how a brick built football stadium that can be played with in a table football manner could be considered a retail set. I think everyone going to the time and expense of displaying should be congratulated. Not everyone can produce something like James Pegrum at STEAM and I doubt when he had been displaying for a year, as many members were yesterday that he could have either.

Shows and skills develop over time. It's never going to be perfect. STEAM which is on a yearly basis is the largest UK show has faced similar criticism in the past yet remains a huge weekend in the UK calendar. Of course there are lessons to learn here. Some changes will attempted to be made for next year but it will never be 100% perfect.

I appreciate this post is rather defensive but I honestly feel that there have been some over critical comments here, especially those directed at the "standard" of exhibits and I find that disappointing. Constructive criticism I'm sure would be welcomed by all builders but just saying that you didn't miss much by not getting in I personally feel is rather dismissive of everyone's hard work.
    andhe
    I'll completely echo kev's comments. Sure there were some modulars on two layouts (including the one I was helping oversee), but I honestly can't think of any other layouts that had standard retail sets. Every other display was mocs, and while some of them may not have been the size of those at steam, some of them were pretty big. Just out of interest, does anyone know what displays steam had in their first year, and how many people they got? That would be a better comparison.

As for the modulars, I spoke to quite a few people who asked about them (about half of them were mocs), and everyone I spoke to or saw talking seemed impressed.
    Comparisons between the emergence of STEAM then and the YBS now are difficult. Not only has the AFOL scene in the UK shifted dramatically since then, so has LEGO popularity in general. So you could have had the mocs from 2013 in all their glory and still wouldn't have pulled the attendance because the desire from the public wasn't there.
  • Try001Try001 Member Posts: 83
    Sorry I'm going to have to call you out on your comments you say "not wishing to have a go" and "sorry to rant on"and "I have no wish to start any arguments"

I say you do. Feedback I agree does have to be acknowledged but yours is not constructive it's is pointed and hurtful to people that it in a lot of effort.
    Could it have been better yes. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lemons were given lemonade was made. The show was good I saw loads more happy faces than sad (the sad ones were normally kids who didn't get a toy from the shop.)

There will probably be q's again today. Nothing can be done about that now. But we will take on feedback for next time but even then not everybody will be pleased!

Seems he was in a separate venue then, tbh. All the people we saw wearing the Brickshire jumpers were stood behind tables chatting between themselves, a point made by several other visitors too.
    Yes, there was a lot of people there, but the way the people were managed needs resolving.
    I speak from experience, having run a few events in the past.
    You need to keep the general public happy, otherwise you have problems.!
    Not wishIng to have a go, but feedback has to be acknowledged.
    I can understood that the event was far more popular than anticipated, but I standby my obsevation of the standard of the exhibits.

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258

I appreciate this post is rather defensive but I honestly feel that there have been some over critical comments here, especially those directed at the "standard" of exhibits and I find that disappointing.

To be fair, Kev, I've only seen one person on this thread criticising the standard of exhibits, so that doesn't seem to be the prevailing view. I don't have anything to so with this show, and didn't attend, but if the superb LEGOrena display was typical of the standard then I wouldn't pay that particular criticism much heed - you really can't please all of the people all of the time.

The comments about congestion are more representative, and I suspect that I'd also have been disappointed if I was queueing for hours. That having been said, it was the first time this event has ever been staged and you've got to start somewhere. Who could have known when the event was conceived, for instance, that the LEGO Movie would have captured the imagination of the public in the way it has ? Most wrote it off as a flop long before it appeared. No doubt lessons will have been learned, and next time the organisers will I'm sure try to find a bigger venue and/or charge for entry, both of which should ease the congestion.

And finally, well done to the organisers for putting on their first show !
    PaperballparkandheSirKevbagsStormKittyTyoSoloTry001pricey73
    Just wondering how today went? Any difference in management of public or amount of people? Also when and where will pictures be uploaded? Same gallery from the shows website?
    @drdavewatford You're right, as was @Legoboy via text at 8am this morning. I was probably a little prickly at the single "standard" criticism and how others may have interpreted this knowing how much effort people had put in. As is well known I'm a hopeless builder myself but through the showcase especially I do try to encourage builders who are lacking in confidence to display and I don't like to see it knocked further. Let's put it down to being a sleep deprived Fairy ;-)
    TyoSolo

Just wondering how today went? Any difference in management of public or amount of people? Also when and where will pictures be uploaded? Same gallery from the shows website?

Opened half an hour early to try to stop the queue growing, but it just delayed the queue building. The queue was easily bigger than yesterday, but the museum staff managed the people better, letting fewer people into the room at a time, so that those who were in could move around better, meaning they were out quicker and the queue moved faster.

They also stopped people joining the queue from 1pm, as the queue length at that point was about 2 1/2 hours, and the place closed at 4. Everyone who was in the queue got in and got a good look around though.

For a first event, I think it went really well, and the issues that there were, to be honest, weren't really foreseeable in advance. I'm absolutely certain that next year will be even better, and hopefully there'll be even more people displaying there next year too. It'd be nice to see some people from down south make the journey up to display some of their models ;)
    TyoSoloiainy73andhe
  • iainy73iainy73 Member Posts: 9
    I saw some of the comments about retail sets and the lack of mocs. I exhibited over five tables of mocs alone nod not a single set or even modified set. Yes there were a few of the modular sets and some vehicles, but mostly these were the backdrops to railway layouts featuring mocs and very old sets. I'm a member of Northern Brickworks (and after this weekend Brickshire) and I found that all the exhibitors were extremely friendly and supportive of each other's groups and needs throughout the weekend. There have been well documented issues with the sheer amount of people who wanted to come. This was the first show at this venue and the largest show that Brickshire (or NB at that matter) have staged. We all feel sorry that some people could not even get in and that most people had to queue. But it was free event at a popular venue featuring and incredibly popular (even more at the moment) product. Maybe The Lego Group could help us out more by hiring bigger venues! Fat chance. We just have to go with what we are offered, or we can afford out of club funds. A lot of people thought we worked for TLG, and we should be there all week! That would be nice. But the reality is obviously different, I had a fantastic time, saw some old faces and made new friends, had a barrage of questions from visitors (both big and small) and have been invited to attend an event in Leeds and possibly hold a show in Huddersfield. A very successful and exciting weekend. Rich and the Brickshire team deserve a big round of applause for their efforts and the museum should be thanked for holding the show in the first place. Lessons have been learned, and hopefully the next show will be even more AWESOME!
    TyoSoloStormKittyPaperballparkpricey73SirKevbags
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    edited February 2014
    I don't often post here anymore, but as its to do with an event I organised (yes you can blame me), I wanted to pitch in

I have only ever organised 1 event before, and it was tiny in comparison, so when I first booked the mining museum, I was worried that we wouldn't fill it with models, let alone people.

I was really chuffed when I contacted Northern Brickworks and Brickish members and they wanted to attend, as I realise that our LUG had a bit of a shaky start with other LUGs, which i've worked hard to repair. There are no cliques, just good friends, some of which know each other more than others. I've never personally met or spoken to a lot of the people who exhibited this weekend, and now I have new friends who I hope to see at more events in the future.

Everyone's displays were fantastic, even the ones with retail sets. Who wouldn't want to see an 8 carriage Metroliner running around a massive track? We also promoted 2 TFOLs at the event, and they did a fantastic job dealing with the public, and generally getting stuck in, they have now formed a friendship that I hope will lead to a TFOL specific LUG in the UK, supported by Brickshire, which something that TFOLs are crying out for.

I was up and down the queue several times asking how long people had waited, and most people were in reasonably good cheer considering the wait.

Yes we learned a lot, so did the museum. Since they opened 25 years ago, they have never had that many visitors... Even when princess Margaret visited a few months ago, but they adapted as quickly as they could. Next year we'll have more space, and a better plan.

I'm proud of each and every person that made the event a huge success: exhibitors, vendors, museum staff, the 6,600 patient public, and the hundreds of people who couldn't get in, but gave their time to get there and give constructive feedback. All of them deserve kudos for a show in the north that WILL happen again!

Sorry for the essay :)
    Paperballparkpricey73SirKevbagsiainy73andhe
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    I'd like to say that this was a great event that was a ridiculous success.

I may be responsible for the crying about retail sets as I am an Architecture fan and took the opportunity to show off a selection of retail sets plus an Architecture Mod/MOC.

Whilst most kids took a glance then moved on to the bigger flasher MOCs I had loads of interest from adults who were surprised that Lego did such models and had lots of questions that I was more than happy to answer.

One of the keys to a good show must be a range of themes so as to appeal to all and I'm happy to have done my bit in promoting a very neglected theme.

I spent most of today overseeing the building table for the kids and had a ball. All the parents that I spoke to were happy despite the long wait to get in and it was nice to chat to them.
    iainy73SirKevbags
  • Big_SalBig_Sal UKMember Posts: 37
    Some photos I took this morning before the public came in - I didn't include some that unfortunately didn't come out so well, so this isn't everything that was there!
    alijoezacStormKittyiainy73LegoboySirKevbagsPaperballpark
    Just to reiterate, Me and Carol really enjoyed the whole event, thanks to Richard, Nicola and everybody involved with the organisation.
    We talked to as many people as possible which, at times wasn't the easiest thing to do.

It was good to see such a wide variety of MOCs from everybody especially the TFOL's.

StormKittyiainy73LegoboySirKevbags
  • StormKittyStormKitty Member Posts: 268
    ^lovely to have met you both this weekend and hope to see you both at another event very soon :-)

KT
    pricey73
  • iainy73iainy73 Member Posts: 9
    Here's a link to the Huddersfield Examiners report on the event. http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/thousands-brave-long-queues-marvel-6736249
    LegoboyKevin_Hyattpricey73StormKittySirKevbags
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    Good right up in the examiner.
  • dfurndfurn Member Posts: 191
    I know I made some negative comments about the queue situation earlier in this thread. I should have really balanced that with my really positive impression of the actual exhibition. I thought there was a great variety of MOCs and non-MOCs and that that was just fine. Moreover my son (who is 5) had a great time and was mesmerized at every stall. He enjoyed joining in with the Tower Bridge build and the table set up for free building. I think we were in the room for a good 90 minutes and if he'd had his way he'd have spent double the time there. I thought the standard of models on display was great. Yes the room was crowded and there was a little jostling from time to time. But hopefully if a bigger venue can be found next year with a similar standard of displays I think it'll be a great success.
    SirKevbags
    @StormKitty hope the giddiness has subsided!
    It was indeed a pleasure to meet you too.
    StormKitty
    @dfurn Delighted to hear your son enjoyed a bit of Tower Bridge building. While the build was planned, involving children wasn't but it happened organically and everyone that helped, including your son was extremely well behaved.

I'll be writing a full report for the FB website later in the week but huge thanks to everyone that took part in the building and ticket selling. Still some coins to count but it's looking like £1100 was raised :-)
    LostInTranslationcheshirecatandheStormKittypricey73caperberryTyoSolo
    I took a few photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/andhe/sets/72157641354327084/with/12695475193/
    I would have taken more but didn't want to impede the crowds.

I asked my friends kids what they enjoyed most, and he said the one with all the blood (can't remember who, but someone had made a custom zombie scene), so they made one 5 year old's day.

As a side note, I personally quite enjoy seeing sets/modulars 'in the brick', just as I do at an official Lego store. Especially if they've been used creatively in a scene. I'll never own the majority of these sets so it's fun to see them close-up.
    StormKittySirKevbags