Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Does having a sealed LEGO shipping box increase the set's value?

Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
edited February 2014 in Buying & Selling Topics
I have UCS MF 10179 that has been sitting in my house for the last few years since it went EOL. I bought it from a Lego Store near my house and it still is in the outer shipping box. One side wasn't taped well when it was originally put into the shipping box and one side of the flap of the box is free to move, but not much. Based on the tape it is obvious that it was never opened, even with the poor tape job. I was thinking about opening the outer shipping and pulling it out to see what condition the set box is in. I don't know if opening the shipping box would reduce potential re-sale value if I ever chose to sell it. I would think if I did sell it, the person buying it would rather know the condition of the set box, but I don't know. Plus it would be cool to pull it out of the box and just look at it in person. Thoughts?

Comments

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,837
    The shipping box is just a shipping box - no intrinsic value in it. The set box condition is where the value is, no harm in having a careful look at it.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    There is no way I would buy it without seeing the set box so I can't see any value being lost by removing it for a look see.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    I don't think a sealed shipping box adds value although I believe including shipping boxes do help sell iconic sets such as the #10179. If it were me buying, I'd prefer to cast my eyes over the actual LEGO box but would still want the official shipping box protected inside another shipping box for actual shipping purposes.

Only now I've read back what I've written do I appreciate how mad that sounds.
    DanGP
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    There is no way I would buy one full stop at current prices. Surely there is a more than reasonable chance of a re-release during the 10 year licence extension?
    FollowsClosely
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,837
    Legoboy said:

I don't think a sealed shipping box adds value although I believe including shipping boxes do help sell iconic sets such as the #10179. If it were me buying, I'd prefer to cast my eyes over the actual LEGO box but would still want the official shipping box protected inside another shipping box for actual shipping purposes.

Only now I've read back what I've written do I appreciate how mad that sounds.

Do you like Russian Dolls? :P

LegoboyYellowcastlebluemodern
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Maybe I would put it in a big white shopping bag like Amazon with no shipping boxes at all :) - See Amazon Ewok Village thread if you don't know what I am talking about.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    richo said:

There is no way I would buy one full stop at current prices. Surely there is a more than reasonable chance of a re-release during the 10 year licence extension?

You know, the only people I ever hear make those two statements are those that don't have one. Still, it's nice to have a dream. ;-)
    richoYellowcastlePitfall69
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    I'd be concerned about the state of the truck in which the shipping box in which the set box in which the set was.

Was the truck in good condition or beaten about a bit? Also, would you be able to provide a photo of the truck?
    YellowcastledougtsBulkheadXSteve_J_OMAdzbadboybluemodern
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Awww...I thought the UCS MF in the thread title would get more responses...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    I think it lowers the value. If it is sealed, then you have no proof of what is inside. Or the condition of what it is inside.

And it is not that hard to retape a shipping box.
    bluemodern
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    My experience with sealed boxes from my Hasbro SW days is: if someone is looking to grade the set as uncirculated which will give it a better value then they will pay a little more for a sealed shipping box, aside from that I do not see a sealed in shipping box set getting to much more than normal.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited February 2014
    I agree with those that say they wouldn't pay the kind of money we're talking about with just photos of a sealed shipping box. I don't think the shipping box in and of itself has much value.

I do think that if the original LEGO shipping box is still present, it speaks to the likelihood that the item was handled minimally and that the owner is meticulous about collecting aspects in general. For those reasons, I think a sale price could be higher.
    LegoboyBrick_Obsessionbluemodern
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,293
    The most important thing is...

Are you selling it?
    How much do you want for it?
    And...
    Do Brickset members get a discount?

:o)
    edited February 2014
    ^I don't know. $ 3 million. And sure, brickset members get a $2 million discount. :)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    rocao said:

I agree with those that say they wouldn't pay the kind of money we're talking about with just photos of a sealed shipping box. I don't think the shipping box in and of itself has much value.

I do think that if the original LEGO shipping box is still present, it speaks to the likelihood that the item was handled minimally and that the owner is meticulous about collecting aspects in general. For those reasons, I think a sale price could be higher.

I would agree with this, but only with certain collectible sets, and only those that require their own box (DS, MFUCS, etc.). I don't think having the original shipping box for a #10212 (which fits two) is going to do much for the value of selling a single one; two maybe, mayyyybe.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    Just yesterday I had someone looking for 2 Fire Brigades in the original shipping box. That was a first.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    My UCS Falcon has been sitting in the original Lego box since day one. It was a 1st edition release. I generally forget about the thing as it is tucked away. Thank goodness for the box though as it has sat on the shelf for awhile. Full intention of building it one of these years though.

I just hope it's not lead in there when i open it up :D
    YellowcastleLegoboy
    edited February 2014
    Thanks all for the advice. Well, I opened the shipping box. Where there was some damage to the shipping box there was no damage to the outer box. One of the corners looked a tad smooshed and strangely enough there was a near puncture into the front of the box right on top of chewbacca's picture even though the shipping box was not touched in those areas. So I guess I won't be getting this graded and put into a plastic case. But it is still sealed and new in the box. Probably end up building it with the kids someday. I didn't think much about the set before I opened it, but it is really a cool looking box and it is really heavy.
    Heh, now you have to wrestle with "Do I build it, or do I sell it and take a cruise?"

Good luck with that.
    Yellowcastle
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    ^ You sell it.
    Maybe I'll flip a coin or just let my son decide. $2000+ worth of profit can buy a lot of other lego sets.
    FollowsClosely
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    It can still be sold after being opened and built.
    In that case, it'd be $1000+ of profit, instead of $2000, but $1000 can still buy a lot of other LEGO. And we can always make more money, right? :P
    rocao said:

It can still be sold after being opened and built.
    In that case, it'd be $1000+ of profit, instead of $2000, but $1000 can still buy a lot of other LEGO. And we can always make more money, right? :P

That may be true, but if selling it is indeed the endgame, you need to ask yourself if you would pay someone else $1000 to be able to build their model.

If you want to sell it and still have one, perhaps sell the new one, buy an old one and pocket the difference.
    That would require two transactions of over $1000. Not something I would look forward to. Would probably sell/buy locally on items like this. Wouldn't want someone to claim they got a box of rocks.
    Yellowcastle
    edited February 2014

That would require two transactions of over $1000. Not something I would look forward to. Would probably sell/buy locally on items like this. Wouldn't want someone to claim they got a box of rocks.

If you're doing it locally, it's still two transactions of over $1000. Unless you meant you don't like doing those kinds of transactions online, in which case a) smart move and b) nobody suggested it had to be online in the first place.
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 356
    Open it up, build it and play with it!

Opps, sorry, I have just watched the LEGO movie and the ending is affecting me already!
    FollowsClosely
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    Oh great. You get a happy ending after watching the Lego Movie. Excellent promotion :)