Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Summer 2014 Image Blowout

Comments

• AdeelZubairAdeelZubair Member Posts: 2,704
    Collider.com has a description of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie sets as you couldn't take pictures of the sets.

http://collider.com/lego-ghostbusters-guardians-of-galaxy-images/

Collider.com:
    The movie-specific Ninja Turtles display featured three items.  The Turtles’ lair set-up included minifigures of Leonardo riding a skateboard and Donatello donning what looked to be night vision goggles.  The building was a two-story structure with a slide for easy ground floor access on one side.  One small detail worth noting is a gold sword that slid underneath the ground floor, presumably for hiding.  The second package came with two vehicles, a large van and a smaller truck.  The truck belonged to the April, Leonardo and Raphael minifigures and the van to two Foot Soldiers and a character that could possibly be Minae Noji who’s rumored to play Karai.  That larger van opens up along the side, revealing an extensive laboratory including tiny bottle cap-like pieces representing the ooze.  The final set included yet another vehicle, a green Humvee of sorts for Raphael and Michelangelo.  We’ve also got a Foot Solider manning a security tower attached to a drive-thru gate.  In between that gate and the Turtles is a fourth character trapped in a chair, possibly Will Arnett’s Vernon Fenwick, suggesting that the sequence of play is meant to be the turtles driving up to a Foot facility to rescue Vernon who’s trapped inside.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,543
    edited February 2014
    @CCC

Leaving Ben & Luke out isn't really my argument, I was just agreeing with whoever mentioned it, that the barman would be a nice addition. I also think the set is a good 'un as is.

Of course, the two situations aren't mutually exclusive of each other, either. For the sake of a single human barman, requiring no special mold, I don't see any big reason to really leave him out. It is HIS bar, after all, and it would hardly blow the budget on the set to include one barman. He needn't be at the expense of anything.

And I agree that 'Stand alone' is usually the reason for the inclusion of something (in this case Ben & Luke), but it doesn't work as a reason for exclusion (Barman).

That decision is likely more one of cost versus added value. TLG would have decided that to include as barman (or anything else) would not appreciably increase perceived value enough to push the price, while leaving him out didn't decrease perceived value at the target price point either. So it's more cost-effective to leave him out, as it is likely not to effect sales.

The barman would just be one of those 'they didn't have to do it' little additions that we occasionally spot in various sets. In this case, they didn't. :oP
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Member Posts: 1,842
    This is just beautiful!

I love those minifigs! The stormtroopers are spot on, the Imperial officers = awesome, and the Palpatatine hologram! 8oD Just Vader's head looks a little strange imo...

richo
  • binaryeyebinaryeye Member Posts: 1,831
    legomatt said:

For me, drop Luke & Ben & speeder (give 'em their own set if needs be, preferably featuring SandPeople and Banthas), and let's include the rancor keepers, barkeepers and ponda babas of the universe. :o)

Ben and Luke absolutely have to be in the set. Their search for a pilot is the reason we see the cantina at all. Or, in terms of the monomyth, crossing the known/unknown threshold. The big miss in this regard is the lack of Ponda Baba, a scene which serves to establish both Luke's inexperience and Ben's skills.

The landspeeder doesn't have to be in the set, though it at least make some sense. I think its inclusion would make more sense if there were a Jawa for Luke to sell it to. Of course that was never going to happen because it would reduce desirability for the upcoming sandcrawler.

The lack of Wuher doesn't bother me much. His main role is to say the droids aren't allowed in the cantina. And without the droids, including him wouldn't accomplish much. And really, of all the characters from the cantina scene, Wuher is probably the most MOCable. Obi-Wan's legs and torso from #7965 or #8092, "classic" brown hair (e.g. Han), and a head like this would work for me.

The biggest miss for me is the inclusion of the Sandtrooper and dewback. Sure, they were in Mos Eisley, but they don't figure into the cantina scene at all. These two should have been in #9490 instead of the inexplicable swoop.

I'll be buying it regardless, because it's the only Star Wars set I'm really interested in yet this year. But it sure would have been nice to see Ponda Baba and a Jawa or Wuher instead of the Sandtrooper and dewback.
    Yellowcastle
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099

When they actually decide to make a building, I would prefer they put in a little more effort than they've done with either Mos Eisley or the multiple Hoth sets or the pitiful cloud city or or the geonosis caves.

Well part of the problem is that the Star Wars universe is defined by ships and "scenes" and not by the buildings. When we do get a defined building such as Jabba's Palace, it's too small to be functional to recreate the scene. So it's important to define what the set is about. Is it about the scene or the building? With the cantina it's about the scene and the building just adds atmosphere.
    Kanohi

I love those minifigs! The stormtroopers are spot on, the Imperial officers = awesome, and the Palpatatine hologram! 8oD Just Vader's head looks a little strange imo...

The new officer caps are nice, but I think I'll stick with the "western" caps at least until they come out with the new ones in black. And the Stormtroopers are great, but I wish they'd stop changing them for the sake of consistency.

I don't understand the inclusion of the hologram of Palpatine. Wasn't that scene aboard Executor?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 Member Posts: 11,454
    Why wouldn't a Dewback be included in the set?

The inclusion of a holographic Palpatine means that we will see "Spirit" Obi Wan and Yoda in the near future. I only see these being released as a polybag "freebie" though.
    Kanohi
    The Greedo Minifigure is indeed different than the first. The first one had printed arms. The new one does not, although I like the inclusion of the gun belt and I like the vest as well.

I think if you take the arms of the old Greedo and put them on the new Greedo, you would have the best representation of the Rodian.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I consider the original theatrical star wars the one of record and in that, the dewback was no where near mos eisley in its 3 seconds of screen time.

Having just recently released a "these aren't the droids you're looking for set", they should have skipped the nougat scooter and added more texture to the building and/or more patrons.

@ccc is right in that the bartender goes where the droids go so that is likely why he was left out. The "you'll be dead" guy might be the the most graphic scene in the movie and many kids might try and take his arm off. I can understand TLG wanting to completely steer clear of that. And since no other patrons talk, it does make sense to only include the bith. Of course they obviously want us to buy two sets.

In the spirit of single set playability, I guess I'm ok with the stormie but would have preferred to drop the scoot and dew and give the building a little more thought. And don't forget, we can fill the excuse for a bar with other figs including the awesome hammerhead.

The "you'll be dead" guy might be the the most graphic scene in the movie and many kids might try and take his arm off.

Actually, the guy that says that is Dr. Evazan, while Ponda Baba is the one to lose an arm.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Is it me, or has that Dewback been on the jam doughnuts?? It's way chunkier than the last incarnation!
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526
    The explanation for the dewback is simple. This set isn't based on the movie, but on the previous cantina set. He was in there, so he is in here. :-)
    YellowcastlelegomattRomanticWarrior
    binaryeye said:

The "you'll be dead" guy might be the the most graphic scene in the movie and many kids might try and take his arm off.

Actually, the guy that says that is Dr. Evazan, while Ponda Baba is the one to lose an arm.
    well, shoot, I guess I need to rewatch it because I had forgotten that. Doh. :o)
    Pitfall69
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Member Posts: 10,788
    edited February 2014
    graphite said:

They should just make a couple Cantina Battle Packs to get some of the extra characters. Or a SW CMF series would be great =)

I was about to suggest the same, but I realized it violated Kenners (I think now Hasbros) Figure license. Same reason why you cannot get magnet sets with magnets that come off.
    Maybe find a way to do a advent type calendar set where you can add the figures.. I dunno
    LostInTranslation
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 Administrator Posts: 2,364
    I may be wrong, but is there not a Dewback behind the man being questioned by Sandtroopers when C-3PO says "I don't like the look of this" which takes place just outside the Cantina? I am basing that on memory alone though, so it may be a different creature.
    edited February 2014
    @Yellowcastle An alternative explanation would be so that kids can make it walk around their LEGO city and poop 1x1 studs like in the LEGO Star Wars game...

;oP

@CapnRex101 Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was a dewback...
  • plasmodiumplasmodium Member Posts: 1,956
    ^Wait, you mean there are reasons for having a dewback other than making it walk around and poop?
    YellowcastlePitfall69
    @plasmodium No not really, it's only purpose is it make crap piles for the sandtroopers to get distracted by, and let Luke and Obi wan slip past without the sandtroopers noticing... ;o)
  • AanchirAanchir Member Posts: 3,037
    Pitfall69 said:

The Greedo Minifigure is indeed different than the first. The first one had printed arms. The new one does not, although I like the inclusion of the gun belt and I like the vest as well.

The colors are also different, and with good reason — the original used Bright Bluish Green and Dove Blue, both of which have been discontinued. From the look of things, the new one has Sand Green skin, a Medium Nougat jacket, and Medium Azur pants and sleeves.
    Pitfall69
  • graphitegraphite Member Posts: 3,275

I may be wrong, but is there not a Dewback behind the man being questioned by Sandtroopers when C-3PO says "I don't like the look of this" which takes place just outside the Cantina? I am basing that on memory alone though, so it may be a different creature.

I'm pretty sure there is as well. I remember when the remasters came out that in the original it was just a cutout design but in the remaster it got the CGI treatment.
    legomatt
    edited February 2014
    @binaryeye
    binaryeye said:

Ben and Luke absolutely have to be in the set...

I'm not denying this point, but I suspect you posted before seeing my follow-up post (immediately above rancorbait's pictures of the Star Destroyer figs), which explains my opinion better. I'm not actually suggesting leaving them out at all, (getting tired saying that now). My post merely was to agree with a previous poster that adding the barman would've been nice... in the same way that the inclusion of the rancor keeper was a nice 'bonus' fig.

(Why is it always, always, those throwaway afterthought comments that people pick up and run with, at the total expense of the actual point being made? LOL)

The next person to tell me I have to include Luke and Ben gets a 'Life of Brian' clip telling everyone to F*** off. ;o)
    ^ You cannot leave Ben and Luke out. Crazy suggestion.

:-)
    legomatt
    edited February 2014

You asked for it! ;o)

Neither work safe, nor child-friendly, clip of the aforementioned moment as promised

(I'd better just make it clear for those not getting the joke, that i was writing in jest, and not being serious).
    :o)
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 674
    It's funny we don't get a bartender for the cantina, but we get Colonel Cracken in the B-Wing. I love me some obscure Rebels, but he's basically a background extra. At least the bartender has a speaking part. Odd.

What is the deal with all the cheekbone lines on licensed minifigs now? Even 19-year-old Luke has severe cheekbones. Black Widow was the first time I thought it looked horrible, but now it's on 90% of the new minifigs. I think they're going a little overboard with the detail. Vader looks really bizarre.

LEGO really needs to release a new Stormtrooper battle pack. It's impossible to troop-build when they keep releasing 1-2 per year with a new re-design every time.
    LegoManiacc
  • AanchirAanchir Member Posts: 3,037
    legomatt said:

@binaryeye

binaryeye said:

Ben and Luke absolutely have to be in the set...

I'm not denying this point, but I suspect you posted before seeing my follow-up post (immediately above rancorbait's pictures of the Star Destroyer figs), which explains my opinion better. I'm not actually suggesting leaving them out at all, (getting tired saying that now). My post merely was to agree with a previous poster that adding the barman would've been nice... in the same way that the inclusion of the rancor keeper was a nice 'bonus' fig.

(Why is it always, always, those throwaway afterthought comments that people pick up and run with, at the total expense of the actual point being made? LOL)

The next person to tell me I have to include Luke and Ben gets a 'Life of Brian' clip telling everyone to F*** off. ;o)
    How was the Rancor Keeper a "bonus figure"? It was one of four minifigures in the 313-piece set, not counting the Rancor. The barman would be the ninth fig in the 616-piece Mos Eisley Cantina set, not counting the Dewback. That's why I think it'd be problematic to just throw a "bonus fig" in the Mos Eisley Cantina set — it's already teeming with figs. I suppose you could include the barman if you cut out the sandtrooper or one of the three band members.
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 198
    @legomatt - if it makes you feel any better, when I showed my 9 year old son the cantina photos the third thing he said (right after "wow, that's cool" and "hey, new Ben") was "where's the barman"? OK, he hadn't noticed the dewback or Bith at that point, but still...
    ^ Actual input from the target audience is disallowed in this debate. ;o)
    ^ Right, because ages 8-14 "Is just a suggestion"
    khmellymel

binaryeye said:

well, shoot, I guess I need to rewatch it because I had forgotten that. Doh. :o)
    I'm really disappointed in you.
    edited February 2014
    There is a discussion already about Star Wars Battle Packs and...well, would you look at that? The discussion was started by me!!!! What are the odds?

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/5154/lego-star-wars-battle-packs#latest

I'm sure someone will tell me the odds :-)
  • dougtsdougts Member Posts: 4,110
    Pitfall69 said:

There is a discussion already about Star Wars Battle Packs and...well, would you look at that? The discussion was started by me!!!! What are the odds?

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/5154/lego-star-wars-battle-packs#latest

I'm sure someone will tell me the odds :-)

Never Tell Me the Odds

khmellymel
    Aanchir said:

How was the Rancor Keeper a "bonus figure"?

*whimpers*

For crying out loud. Can't people understand context anymore? Since when did saying something as innocent as 'an X fig would be nice' cause such horror and consternation amongst lego fans? Are you all undercover executives watching the profit margins, or something?

Just take the freaking gourd, I don't want it!
    ;o)

Right. This is the last I will say on this extremely stupid subject, which has got quite out of hand from such a simple, passing, comment. I will entertain no more questions beyond this point, except to pour ridicule and scorn... Or i will be in the madhouse, screaming.

(I only said that piece of halibut was good enough for...)

OK. That 'bonus fig' comment was made in the context of added value to a set (a figure that is not strictly necessary for the set to be considered 'Stand Alone'). Lego do this all the time. No, i will not provide examples.

These added 'bonus/extra/nice to see' figs (let's not get caught up on the word) are not strictly necessary because, as had been discussed by others, a set is centred around the 'Hero's Journey'. Therefore, in the Rancor set, the heroes journey is Luke's battle with the Rancor. Everything and anything else beyond that is superfluous to making it 'Stand Alone'. Luke & Rancor are all it needs. The rest is gravy, as they say.

So. The set could just as easily been released as the Rancor Monster vs Luke only. We then might even have had this very same conversation if someone had said 'What a missed opportunity for giving us a Keeper fig, it would have been a nice extra', which apparently would've been met with derision of the sort seen - such as 'but he's just a boring fat guy/unnecessary extra/pushes price for no gain' etc.

The point being, that set didn't have to have anything else to make it 'stand alone', but we are all pleased that the keeper was included anyway.
    He is a 'bonus' in the sense that they didn't have to include him at all (the set works fine without him), and had he been omitted we would never have known the difference. It doesn't matter how many figs any set has, or has not, there is no law regarding fig numbers (except to be accompanied with exclamation marks. Two figs!!! Eight figs!!! 24 FIGS!!!)

We got the band, right? We didn't have to get the band... imagine the discussion if they'd not done the band. I'm glad we got the band. I'd be gladder if we'd also got Ponda Baba or the barman too. It's that simple: 'wouldn't it be nice if...' Answer: Yes it would be nice if.. unless of course you all have a pathological hatred of bartenders (?).

:oP

Right, where's the line for Crucifixion? Compared to this, it'll be a doddle.

---

Epilogue.
    None of the 'but. but. but' reasons against will ever change the fact that all i said, and i stand by it, is that the barman would've been nice behind the bar. That is all.

I don't actually care what the connotations are for TLG, how it affects their bottom line, how much sleep at night they get... no i don't want the gourd.

I will be buying the set (as it's a good set) and supplying my own bar tender... at this point i might give him a rocket launcher.

AAAAaaaAAaaaAaAaGHGGhGhgHghhh!

:oD
    dougtsKanohiplasmodium
    ^ You cannot leave Ben and Luke out. Crazy suggestion.
    legomatt
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Member Posts: 7,633
    edited February 2014
    ^^Always keep on the bright side of the forums. *whistles*
    legomatt
    GIR3691 said:

What is the deal with all the cheekbone lines on licensed minifigs now? I think they're going a little overboard with the detail.
    LEGO really needs to release a new Stormtrooper battle pack. It's impossible to troop-build when they keep releasing 1-2 per year with a new re-design every time.

Yeah, I find some of the extraneous detail on human faces to be a bit overkill too - sometimes some lines don't even make sense, they're just 'lines'. I guess it's all down to personal taste, but I do wish they'd go easy on the faces, to retain the lego cartoony cuteness as much as possible.
    Stormies. I do find it a tad frustrating that the basic stormy is so sporadic in appearance. (The clone he's made from must be a bit of a diva, methinks).
    I don't mind the changes so much, but the nigh impossibility of actually buying them by the handful to form a coherent squad is somewhat irksome. Part of me loves the leg printing, the OCD in me will want all my Stormies to have leg printing.

I just thought! (don't worry, it's not contagious)... could it be possible that Ponda Baba will be the May 4th Promo? Does that fit all the criteria that the 'insider' claimed?

(I'll have to go find the thread (to avoid this one spiraling O.T.)
    Answer: No. (it's meant to 'blow minds' of a 'select group of fans'. Not walrus face, then).
  • plasmodiumplasmodium Member Posts: 1,956
    That might blow the minds of the AFALPB (Afols For A Lego Ponda Baba). Select group of fans? yes. Minds blown? Check.
    legomattrancorbait
    ^ I thought they were the PBAS (Ponda Baba Appreciation Society)?

Splitters!

:o)
    Bumblepants
    Wait.... So a Ponda Baba minifig would 'blow the minds of the AFOLs' as in 'blow their brains out'?! Like he tried to do to Luke?
    edited February 2014
    ^ As long as it stays above the waist, walrus-features can blow what he likes.

Just don't tell me he's announced a competition...
    :oP
  • joch29joch29 Member Posts: 15
    pic of the 3 new turtle movie sets is on eurob
    ^ And Toyark, and FBTB ;o)

^ And Toyark, and FBTB ;o)

Maybe I'm missing them, but I'm pretty sure both had photos of only the non-movie sets. Those three had a "don't take photos of these sets" sign in front of them, but as can be seen at EB, someone ignored that.
    I will be buying at least 2 Cantinas to make a bigger one, much like people have done with Jabbas Palace. There were 7 Biths that made up The Modal Nodes, so I might have to buy a third or score an extra somewhere. Lego definitely has to make more Cantina denizens.

http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/id18.htm

• The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan Member Posts: 162
    Pitfall69 said:

I will be buying at least 2 Cantinas to make a bigger one, much like people have done with Jabbas Palace. There were 7 Biths that made up The Modal Nodes, so I might have to buy a third or score an extra somewhere. Lego definitely has to make more Cantina denizens.

http://cantinacustoms.tripod.com/id18.htm

Well, that website says that there are 8 Biths in the Cantina and the other one is just a patron (Lirin Car'n), so perhaps you should buy 3 and sell one Bith.
    ^Ah. I was specifically talking about the band, but that is a great idea. I will do you one better. Why don't I buy 3 Cantinas and use the extra for Barquin D'an and place him in Jabbas Palace?