Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Brickset.com site issues

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,059
    Been getting a lot of virus type messages while navigating the site lately.
    Can you be more specific, and/or send screenshots? Are you logged in?
  • BastyBasty LondonMember Posts: 485
    edited November 2021
    Ignore, figured out what i was doing wrong
    Bumblepants
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,571
    edited November 2021
    @Huw I am getting:

500 - Internal server error.
    There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

When trying to access brickset.com. Is this just me, or is there a wider problem? I'm not having issues with other web resources.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,571
    Looks fine now, so maybe just a transient issue.
    It was a weird one, and tricky to track down. It seems a configuration option that has been there for years was suddenly conflicting with one set at the server level, so I can only assume that something on the server was upgraded to cause it.
    JudgeChuckgmonkey76
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,381
    I’m getting constant “Error 522 - connection timed out” errors trying to access the main site :(
    Mr_Cross
  • matrox2001matrox2001 Member Posts: 13
    yes, same here, in UK.
    Mr_Cross
  • im2cre8ivim2cre8iv Utah, USAMember Posts: 164
    Yep. Site is down. Cloud flare says it is on Brickset side
    RikTheVeggiegmonkey76
  • OmniusOmnius Member Posts: 62
    Same, haven't been able to get onto the main site all day.
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 349
    Same. Tried on fully updated Windows 10 Chrome in normal and incognito modes, ditto on Android, on both home and work/school networks. Guess I'll have to check if Plutian saboteurs parked a cat on the satellite dish again.
    @Huw in case you weren’t aware 😅
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 469
    "Would you say it's time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?"
    "Yes I would, Kent."
    Omniusscottdd2
  • RikTheVeggieRikTheVeggie CanadaMember Posts: 356
    Did someone use RAID 0 instead of 6?
    Happy to hear the issue's been identified, hopefully the hamsters are enjoying the rest.
    560Heliportim2cre8ivdavetheoxygenmanAstrobricks
    Did someone use RAID 0 instead of 6?
    Happy to hear the issue's been identified, hopefully the hamsters are enjoying the rest.
    And Huwbot!
    RikTheVeggie
    Huw said:
    There's a problem with the server's RAID array apparently which is being worked on.
    Unfortunate timing on Mar10 day
    Damn. Still down.
  • RikTheVeggieRikTheVeggie CanadaMember Posts: 356
    Sounding like a major hardware failure.  If the server's dead and there's no backup, it'll likely mean waiting for a new one to be FexEx'd.  HDD issues are generally transient (and usually impossible to detect in a well designed system).  Hopefully the hosting provider will be reviewing their failover and DR plans after an extended outage like this.

@Huw you might want to take a look at Azure App Service or similar with elasic scaling, I don't think you need a dedicated VM (?).  DB hosting can get expensive, but mySQL is a lot cheaper than MSSQL.  Or for self-hosting, a COTS NAS like a DiskStation with SHR2 and hot spare, in a high availability cluster.
    The server was up for a few hours earlier, but down again now :-(
    vizzitorBengh_Zeran
    @Huw you might want to take a look at Azure App Service or similar with elasic scaling, I don't think you need a dedicated VM (?).  DB hosting can get expensive, but mySQL is a lot cheaper than MSSQL.  Or for self-hosting, a COTS NAS like a DiskStation with SHR2 and hot spare, in a high availability cluster.
    I looked at that last time there were problems but the recommendation was to stick with a dedicated server due to the amount of traffic and disk space used.
    pxchris
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 736
    At least the forum is hosted separately!
    560HeliportbuildalotvanvonfullAstrobricksiwybs
  • PDelahantyPDelahanty Petaluma, CaliforniaMember Posts: 303
    The last big outage my site had, I toyed with the idea of keeping a backup hosted elsewhere that I could spin up when the primary host went offline and then point DNS at the new host.  Never got around to doing that...but this outage is reminding me that it's something I should probably get ready because the next outage is inevitable.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,713
    I cannot access the main site today, getting an error522 Connection timed out
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,486
    edited March 2022
    I just accessed the Brickset site in the middle of the night UK time, but literally after browsing 2 pages it went back to the 522 error. I feel for the team at Brickset Towers and hope it gets resolved (and not dipping in and out intermittently) soon!
    edited March 2022
    It’s working for me again as of 04:00 UT March 12. :D
    RikTheVeggie
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,486
    Yep has been up for a long time now so hopefully we’re fully back to normal
    Seems to be down again.  Loading super slowly, and if it does load, I get an error page.
    Back up now.
    At around 5am London time it can run slow while doing the overnight batch jobs on thee database.
  • tungphamtungpham VietnamMember Posts: 2
    Hello @Huw. Recently, I haven't been able to access brickset.com and have got this message: Access was denied (Error code 1020). I was told to contact the site owner for access. I wonder if you could help? Thank you a lot!

Ray ID: 6f9ea461d96e46d3

Astrobricks
    There was a spate of suspicions traffic from .vn last week so I blocked access. I have relaxed the firewall rule so you should be able to access it again.
    560HeliportAstrobricksWesterBricks
  • tungphamtungpham VietnamMember Posts: 2
    Huw said:
    There was a spate of suspicions traffic from .vn last week so I blocked access. I have relaxed the firewall rule so you should be able to access it again.
    Yay! It's working again for me now. Thank you very much! <3
    560HeliportAstrobricksWesterBricks
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 541
    I've just purchased a new computer and I can no longer log in to Brickset.com. When I try to change my password I get the message that an email has been sent but nothing happens. I had no trouble changing my forum password.
    Cymbeline said:
    I've just purchased a new computer and I can no longer log in to Brickset.com. When I try to change my password I get the message that an email has been sent but nothing happens. I had no trouble changing my forum password.
    I assume you checked your junk folders?
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 541
    Yes I did check my junk folders but to no avail. Today it was all good and I was able to change my password and sign in.
    edited July 2022
    Is the main site down for anyone else?

Edit, never mind, it's back up for me.
    560Heliport
  • scottdd2scottdd2 ADELAIDEMember Posts: 155
    Just wondering if anybody else has "lost" minifigs and sets? My numbers have dropped all of a sudden.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,554
    Yes, I have 2722 sets but only 37 minifigs- the loose ones. I actually have 5000+ minifigs.
    This happens occasionally- I don't know if it's a glitch, or caused by a site update or similar, but it's always back to normal within a few hours.
    scottdd2
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 1,100
    Had trouble logging in recently. I think the issue is resolved although I got to see just how many ads are on the main page for those who are not logged in. They make it just about unuseable.
    I understand Brickset needs ads for revenue, but perhaps they could be moved so as not to obscure the actual articles and delivered in such a way that you are able to read said articles or look up pieces without the page constantly moving up and down as more and more ads appear.
    edited October 2022
    Sorry, we have no control over the placement of ads.
    Brickchap
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 187
    Not sure if it's just me, but recently on my iPhone (iOS 15, Safari), tapping any of the Like buttons on the main page causes the browser to jump to the top of the page, and the Like is not registered. This only happens on the main page. Opening the article and clicking Like works just fine.
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 187
    Never mind. Left it a day and it's fixed itself.
    karrit
  • OdliDPrincessOdliDPrincess PhoenixMember Posts: 8
    Yeah, It's going to get corrected after a day.
  • chunhengpangchunhengpang Member Posts: 1
    Having trouble entering the site, got the Error 1020: Access denied from Cloudflare... Any advice on how to solve
  • barneymanbarneyman UKMember Posts: 45
    not sure if just me but when selecting the discontinued sets at Brickset search it doesn't work, and just brings up very old sets. I am choosing to sort by date sold out which normally works? thanks
    @chunhengpang, where are you? I had to block a load of coutries yesterday due to malicious traffic.

@barneyman, I know why that is, I'll fix it later.
    barneyman
  • jpeg07jpeg07 Aotearoa Member Posts: 20
    Minifigs in the database can't be seen or accessed. They've disappeared. Pretty sure it's not me!?
    jpeg07 said:
    Minifigs in the database can't be seen or accessed. They've disappeared. Pretty sure it's not me!?
    Wait an hour. It’s probably the database update in progress.
    The site has been very slow for me today on Chrome on MacBook and iPhone.
  • tarolugtarolug Round RockMember Posts: 1
    edited December 2022
    Huw said:
    @chunhengpang, where are you? I had to block a load of coutries yesterday due to malicious traffic.

@barneyman, I know why that is, I'll fix it later.
    Hi Huw,

I have friends from a LUG in Panama that are unable to access the page. Is the country block permanent?

They get an "Access denied Error code 1020" message with a Ray ID code.

Thanks,
    Taro