Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

BRICK 2014 - 27th-30th November - Excel, London, UK

Comments

• AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    Mojoest said:

^^ well done @adzbadboy at getting the set signed. mission accomplished :-)

I heard here were two or three other well known people at the event but sadly I never saw them there. I also forgot to ask Mark Stafford and Keith Severson for their bissness card minifigures :/
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    Adzbadboy said:

The Brick Show!

Don't mean to be funny, but you look really cheesed off. What on Earth did they say to you? ;o)
  • blade_guyblade_guy Member Posts: 191
    @Mojoest‌ Can I please claim your electro batman if no-one else has?
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,507
    Legoboy said:

Adzbadboy said:

The Brick Show!

Don't mean to be funny, but you look really cheesed off. What on Earth did they say to you? ;o)
    T shirts £31, no discounts, lol.

LegoboyAdzbadboycarlq
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    blade_guy said:

@Mojoest‌ Can I please claim your electro batman if no-one else has?

It's yours! PM me your address (crossed fingers that you're based in the UK rather than some far flung distant land). I'll try and get it in the post tomorrow.
    Legoboy

Legoboy said:

Adzbadboy said:

The Brick Show!

T shirts £31, no discounts, lol.

No seriously it was great, I spent about 20 minutes having a chat with Jason and Stephen just before 9pm and the security guard to asked me to leave.
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    edited December 2014
    I didn't manage to go but looking on their facebook page there are a lot of unhappy people. A lot are wanting a refund!

Think the main reason is too many people.

I'm sure this was just a small percentage but what did you all think? Was it over crowded?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,382
    It was definitely very busy in the morning of Sat and Sun, but I didn't think it was too overcrowded. Afternoons were quieter. What do people expect? That they and their precious children will be the only people there?
    ShibTheBrickLadd
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,088
    ^No where near as bad as people are making out on the Facebook page. If you want to see the Excel centre crowded try going to MCM Comic Con, I used to go at least once a year and don't bother now because the crowds were getting dangerous.
    It was busy on the saturday but people are suggesting they should have sold half as many tickets etc but I recon none of them would have paid the price needed to do that. Also anyone who bought VIP tickets for the Saturday got the monies worth if they got there early, I think that they probably should have sold it as "Early Entry" tickets rather than VIP and people might have got the idea of why it was worth the money.

It was definitely very busy in the morning of Sat and Sun, but I didn't think it was too overcrowded. Afternoons were quieter. What do people expect? That they and their precious children will be the only people there?

I definitely think there was a bit of an issue of parental blindness. I think that even a trip to Legoland in high season would have meant more queuing, but this is a limited time event, anyone who doesn't expect it to be massively busy on a Saturday is massively naive.
    Admittedly I was busy selling the raffle tickets (and I mean very busy) during the busiest part of the day Saturday but I certainly saw no pushing or shoving and still found myself chatting to people where crowds allowed.

Another big complaint on the facebook is the price that people were selling stuff for, I even had someone ask me about this at the show, the parent crowd don't unterstand that that sealed Harry Potter set that the seller is asking the "extortionate" rate of £120 for is actually a fairly reasonable price considering how hard it is to find, and the expense they'd have paid to sell there.

All in all the crowds were in a good mood while I was talking to them at least, I suspect the claims are a highly vocal minority.
    rdflego
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Yep it's going to be busy on a weekend, and it was. Of the 40,000 + visitors its a tiny chunk complaining and the same ones are probably doing it multiple times. Very early and from about 3pm it was reasonably quiet

There are a lot of complaints about the queues at TRU but just don't go in. Tell your kids they can have something from Amazon or similar on the way home. Its not rocket science.
    ShibTheBrickLaddAdzbadboycarlq
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    I was surprised at how well the crowds were moving if anything! I took some photos on all four days and had no problems getting close to the models, even if it did mean waiting a few moments for a convenient space to clear.
    dino_girl
    ^ So it was you pushing all the kids out of the way! ;-)
    carlqGothamConstructionCo
  • dino_girldino_girl LondonMember Posts: 107
    I was there Friday and Saturday and yes it was busy Saturday lunchtime time but it got quieter by 3. The worst que was for toys r us. But honestly what did people expect
    @cheshirecat‌ - The pre-approved 'throw-kids-out-of-the-way-like-a-javelin technique' served me well :o)
    carlqGothamConstructionCo
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 803
    Great show but my only dissapointment was the promise of the Volvo L350F only to find It's little brother instead!
    Adzbadboy
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Great show. Great to catch up with everyone/most people. I was on toddler duty most of the time, so was mostly chasing a yellow tshirted little girl. Our stall was ridiculously busy, and at times it was worrying how many adults were shoving kids out of the way, but that was really at the busiest point on the Saturday. I think our positioning meant we got a lot of extra people who came back the stalls to buy something after seeing the TRU queue.
    But it was surprising how many people didn't even know there were shops other than TRU...odd!
    The bricklinkers weren't particularly over priced, but they cater to afols and collectors, no one was allowed to bring current sets to sell, so that's why everything seemed expensive, as most people didn't know they were out of print sets (and wouldn't have appreciated that they command a higher price). That being said I sold a few of my unwanted sets, but a prices much lower than other sellers there (I just used the lowest european BL or ebay price).
    We all really enjoyed the show, and will be looking forward to next year. But with a bigger stand!

LostInTranslationdino_girl
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 541

Best part of the show.
    edited December 2014

Best part of the show.

That really got annoying hearing it over and over again!
    edited December 2014
    I love the way the kids in the foreground of the shot turned round to suss it out before deciding 3 seconds later it was utter shite. :oD
    Were they there on Sunday? I didn't see/hear them so assumed they'd gone to the Britain's got talent audition. ;-)
    carlq
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 541

Were they there on Sunday? I didn't see/hear them so assumed they'd gone to the Britain's got talent audition. ;-)

They were there, all the way up to around 4pm. I lost track of how many cringe marks I have.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,670
    Dang. Too slow to claim @Mojoest‌ 's electro batman. If any else picked up a spare and fancies doing a good deed I'd love to trade/pay postage for one ;)
  • JdslaterJdslater Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2014
    Just wondering. Do they sell spare parts and minifigs like on Bricklink and shows like this?
    edited December 2014
    ^ There were a few stalls selling parts. Prices were reasonably steep though and the range of parts available compared to searching BL will obviously be much more restricted. So if you have certain things in mind then BL is the way to go, but for browsing, picking up the odd part and finding new ones you would have never otherwise found then the stalls can be quite useful. And if you're really lucky you can pick up wrongly classified parts like I did with http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=73590c02a&in=M for just 50p for 2 rather than the cheapest current UK BL price of about £8 each! (only realised as I'm trying to BL Mr Freeze at the moment. Just the head to go now :-) ).
    And yes, plenty of minifigures there too
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Sometimes you have just had enough, want to go home and get packed as quickly as possible........ Step forward Captain Clarky.....

Matthewiso3200ShibcarlqAdzbadboymessydino_girl
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,031
    ^Don't buy used Bricklink parts from him!
    SirKevbags
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 803
    I think Robert got that idea from me!
  • ame_uwagiame_uwagi Bolton, UKMember Posts: 41
    I loved the shot where Tim chops my head out of shot whilst I am 'stamping' on the LEGO. I'm not really pressing dow that hard, just enough to rattle the bricks whilst I'm pretending to look around to see if anyone was looking. It was great, yet disturbing fun :-)
    Shibmessy
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,031
    ^I thought it was the "Lets get ready to Lego" on repeat that had sent you over the edge.
    MojoestrdflegoShibAdzbadboycarlq
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,507

Sometimes you have just had enough, want to go home and get packed as quickly as possible........ Step forward Captain Clarky.....

Kids are scared of a Jack-in-the-box.

Now AFOL'S are scared of a MOC-in-the-box.

Kids are scared of a Jack-in-the-box.

Now AFOL'S are scared of a MOC-in-the-box.
    How about a 'MOC of a Jack-In-The-Box' :P

edited December 2014
    iso3200 said:

^I thought it was the "Lets get ready to Lego" on repeat that had sent you over the edge.

No no, it's because they've deserted him he's suffering now. First Christy Mack, now the Legettes. I am sorry Robert. :, (
  • mrfuturemrfuture NorwayMember Posts: 31
    I came in early Friday. Ones the VIP hour was gone it was more People there, but i had expected more. But had no problem moving around to take pictures.
    It was my first Lego convention without being part of the host LUG.
    After all it was great.
  • JahcursJahcurs Member Posts: 40
    Argh, those songs were terrible, I still find myself humming 'I keep going to the brick pit to play..'
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    You think you had problems? We were set up next to the "Fun Bus" and their oft-repeated, limited-selection mixed tape. I never want to hear Taylor Swift again!!!
    dino_girl
    @carlq‌ did you hear any of thetorture from the stage? It made me glad we were getting generic pop on repeat over that.
    carlq
    @carlq you were singing along to half of it!
    ShibLegoboyGothamConstructionCoSirKevbagscarlqdino_girl
    ^Not just singing but dancing too :-P (even duetting with a member of the public at one point)
    LegoboyGothamConstructionCocarlqdino_girl
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    ^ We really need more thorough background checks ;-)
    ShibLegoboyJessyDooDahGothamConstructionCocarlqdino_girlandheBuzzsaw
    Time to cleanse the internet of my shady past...this could take a while
    SirKevbagscarlq
  • yuffieyuffie Member Posts: 91
    carlq said:

I never want to hear Taylor Swift again!!!

I don't think you need the 'again' in that sentence.

carlq
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    Okay, okay, I admit it - I did sing along (especially with " Let it Go"). And dance, a bit. Or a lot. Including Gangnam Style. It's a sickness. Admit it, though, gentlemen - you SO wanted to join in with me! :-D
    dino_girl
  • dino_girldino_girl LondonMember Posts: 107
    I have had let it go stuck in my head since Friday. but it was fun esp watching you dance
    LegoboycarlqAdzbadboy
    You are not alone. I got some very strange looks in the office today.
    carlq
    ^ A combination of 'Let It Go' at Brick 2014 and it being the soundtrack for an advert that keeps being on television (I am not even sure what it is for) have left me in the same boat.
    Vodafone. :o/
    Does anyone know what is the price to display at Brick2014, I plan to display next year and need to start planning.

Thanks,
    Adeel