Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

BRICK 2014 - 27th-30th November - Excel, London, UK

Comments

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I didn't go, but seem to remember positive feedback coming from AFOLCON 2012 which would be the best indicator of Brick/AFOLCON 2014 - and Brick 2014 is I believe due to be bigger. As you suggest there is understandable annoyance at the change of date from May to November with people having already booked transport and also about weirdness in ticket prices/availability.

At the very least you'll get to meet the hairy fairy in person and thats probably worth a transatlantic fair on its own!
    cavegod
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625
    Where can I buy tickets? Please could you provide a link below.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,275
    @Adzbadboy‌ - I am not sure whether you are referring to Brick 2014 or AFOLCON, so have provided links for both:

Brick 2014 - http://www.brick2014.com/ - Follow the links from the box on the bottom left of the page.

AFOLCON - http://www.afolcon.com/ - Scroll down and follow the link on the right of the page.
    Adzbadboy
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,036
    As STEAM has passed, I'm now considering going along to Brick 2014 at Excel. Just wondered how many Bricksetters are going along and what days? I'm guessing that the weekend will be packed due to families with children so am figuring that Thurs or Friday may be the best from a crowd control point of view.

Will some of the exhibits be the same as what were at STEAM or can we look forward to mainly new displays??? Any ideas?

• SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    With the limited number of UK based people who exhibit there will be some repetition no doubt because with the best will in the world exhibitors don't have the time and money to create all new things for each show, especially with them being so close.

That said there are some people displaying who were not at STEAM and that includes folks from Europe and beyond. With Thursday and Friday being school days it is bound to be quieter and with so much more space you might get a better look at models even if you are seeing them for the second time. Get your tickets now! There are at least six Bricksetters volunteering for FB on the first three days.

(Fairy Bricks are not on commission for any tickets sold ;-) )
    ShibLostInTranslationcarlq
    I will be there on all four days, on the Blocks magazine stand for some of the time.

I am already looking forward to it!
    GothamConstructionCoAdzbadboy
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 755
    Was looking forward to going but can't make it now. Small consolation is that the cash I wont spend on travelling there I can spend on Lego. Every cloud I suppose
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,469
    I will be there the whole four days too, exhibiting as part of a collaboration.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 542
    I will definitely have some new models for the event, but will be displaying the same things as I did at STEAM.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    I will be exhibiting, and wasn't at STEAM.
    Places to volunteer for Fairy Bricks at this event are filling up fast with the Saturday team already complete. We have a few spaces available for Thursday, Friday and Sunday. If you want to do two days then free (shared) accommodation is available.

It is hard busy work but also lots of fun. Thanks to @StormKitty‌ there are usually a ready supply of cakes and while there isn't much time off during show hours, you can arrive early and stay afterwards to get a great view of everything without the public being there, plus you don't pay for your entry. Just let me know if you're interested.
    dino_girl
  • StormKittyStormKitty Member Posts: 268
    ^ I do supply other goodies too, there was fresh fruit in the KT goodie bag but sadly there were no takers, the chocs and the Jelly Snakes went down well though :) Be warned, you will be KT fed whether you like it or not!

alexwilcarlq
    In fairness its not just KT either - @SirKevbags has also got my wife addicted to a certain brand of coffee chocolate.
    StormKitty
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,521
    ^ Ooooh Pocket Coffee? They're soooo addictive.

I will be part of the Saturday FB team for Brick :-)
    StormKitty
  • DfenzDfenz IrelandMember Posts: 41
    There are many models that will be brought from Ireland to Brick2014 that have never been displayed in the UK - some are still under construction. I'll be there Wednesday (AFOLCON) to Sunday.
    Daragh
    If I understand correctly is confirmed that The Brick Show will be at BRICK 2014 http://www.brick2014.com/whats/brick-show-tv-live/

They also said it in this video, don't ask I don't remember what part of the video:

This makes me really pumped to attend this event as I'm a huge fan of The Brick Show and have been watching them for two and a half years, I could also meet many members of Brickset, Blocks and many other AFOL's. If I could also go to AFOLCON it would be the best day of my life :D

Need to start booking tickets :)
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    Ill be there displaying not that ive heard anything from the organizers since being confirmed months ago?
  • EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 117
    I'm going, on the Friday. The website (in the FAQ) says "Friday subject matter is bias towards LEGO Education", which (typos notwithstanding) is what I'm interested in, but it doesn't say more than that and my email asking about it remains unanswered. I would think that by now with only a few weeks to go there should be at least a partial list of speakers or one or two of the promised "clinics" mentioned on the website. Hopefully all will be revealed in the coming weeks.
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    To be honest if i wasnt a member of brickset i wouldn't even know the event was happening at all it seems the advertisment of the show hasnt improved since last time?
    theLEGOman
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,226
    ^They seem to be focusing all their efforts on a Facebook campaign.
    And ticket sales suggest it is working. It's my understanding that the radio/print/billboard media is ramping up in and around London now to.
    CoraHarrison
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,740
    Hi can anyone tell me the closing times each day, are some days open longer than others? Thursday there seem to be something at 5 does that mean the show closes by then?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,704
    ^^ Heart Radio have been advertising it for weeks.
    The 5pm is effectively a private viewing for media etc with a reception prior to seeing the models when the general public have left by 6pm.
    ^ Thanks so is every night the same ending at 6?
    Sunday is 5pm. We all have homes we would like to get back to ;-)
    StormKittycarlq
    Thanks @SirKevbags, thinking about doing Thursday as it might not be as busy as the weekend, I am guess I might see some last minute building too, do you know what the talks are on the other days, I know Friday is more Education are thur/sat/sun all the same for talk and other things going on? sorry for all the question just about to pick a day to book.
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    I'll be there on the Friday. Looking forward to it and will pop over to the FB stand to say hi and invest in some raffle tickets / whatever you might have going on.
    ShibStormKittycarlqLostInTranslation
    I also have booked a ticket for Friday, I'm looking forward to seeing you guys. I finally get to meet The Brick Show's Jason and Stephan. It's my first ever convention so I would be really cool to see what they have to offer.
  • mbryantmbryant Member Posts: 3
    Any one know what kind of things we're likely to get in our VIP goody bags?
    What was given at the last Manchester one?
    I know for a fact there is a fairly exclusive Fairy Bricks/minifigs.me collaboration but won't ruin what it is :-)
    MojoestLostInTranslation
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    ^ Only a couple of weeks until we can find out :-). Like a mini Christmas!
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    edited November 2014

I know for a fact there is a fairly exclusive Fairy Bricks/minifigs.me collaboration but won't ruin what it is :-)

I think he's overselling it a bit! Sorry to disappoint! Though it is exclusive :)
    SirKevbags
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    1 numbered tea bag and a double decker?

I think he's overselling it a bit! Sorry to disappoint! Though it is exclusive :)
    Clearly she is underselling it ;-)

carlqGothamConstructionCoLostInTranslation
    So what's the Lego shop situation going to be like there? The event shop is TRU isn't it? How far are we from the nearest Lego shop? I need one of the second Christmas promo sets and ideally a calendar but can't get in store tomorrow (and there's nothing online I particularly want) and then next weekend I'll be at Brick until Sunday night. And currently have meetings away from manchester on the first. Arggghhh.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 849
    The nearest Lego shop is at Westfield Stratford. A couple of stops away on the Jubilee line or the DLR. Should be open until late into the evening.
    ^ Yup, planning on going there first thing on Friday morning.
    Westfield Stratford Store is open until 9:00pm every night except Sunday (6:00pm)
    I want to grab an Exo-Suit before I go on the Friday so I can get it signed by Pete Reid and Mark Stafford, if Possible :)
    I will be there as a visitor on Saturday and working as a volunteer on Sunday and helping with the breakdown on Monday. Thats my weekend sorted:-)
  • ravendragonwingravendragonwing Member Posts: 144
    I will be there Weds-Sun, I will be by myself, so wave at the American with purple docs on!
  • ravendragonwingravendragonwing Member Posts: 144
    Is anyone in the area and want to meet up tonight for dinner?
    But it's Tuesday...

I'm there from tomorrow until Sunday.
    edited November 2014
    I will be heading down to London on the train this afternoon.

It is a long shot, but I don't suppose anybody is going to be on the Newcastle to Kings Cross train calling at Durham, Darlington, Northallerton, York, Doncaster, Newark North Gate, Peterborough and Stevenage? It arrives in London at 8:46pm.
    I planned to go to AFOLCON and Brick2014 a few weeks ago then I realised I had to attend an OpenIDEO this week at uni (Mon- Thu) Today I was told I don't need to go uni. I'm so angry right now! At least I have a ticket for Friday. Can't wait to meet whoever is going and the Captain :)
    @Adzbadboy‌ - Getting permission from my university to be away for five days was an absolute nightmare. I had to fill in a different form for my college, university and subject departments, but even then it turned out that I filled in the wrong one a couple of times :o)
    edited November 2014
    WOW that must have been a mission. I just hope I can go AFOLCON the next time it comes around and I will try harder next time :) @CapnRex101 Can I ask is their any other LEGO events that happpen near London?
    ^ I am not aware of any more in London unfortunately. The biggest annual shoes I know of are at the Leicester Space Centre, STEAM and Brick (assuming it also takes place next year).

Having said that that though there is still time for more shows to be announced for next year.
    Adzbadboy