Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

BRICK 2014 - 27th-30th November - Excel, London, UK

Comments

• UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 622
    I don't object to the prices too much , £15 a ticket is still reasonable, but unless you live in London then the time slots make it tricky to organise getting there for a particular time, especially if your not familiar with the London transport system.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    I can understand the relatively high prices, after all, this is London. However the timing and 3 hour limit both seem unwise to me, and limit the appeal I think.

Naturally, the venue would be in demand, which is going to be an enormous limiting factor. However, those dates are not ideal, and are in fact the week before half term for most children, which would have seemed like an ideal time for the event to me.

3 hours is not long at all. I scarcely get around STEAM in 4 hours, and this show would presumably be larger than that given the size of venue required. Once you add in the time of talking to exhibitors and other visitors, that 3 hour limit would pass fairly rapidly I imagine, perhaps too quickly for most adult visitors.

Personally, I think the best thing for a large LEGO show in the UK would be to hold it at a large out of town exhibition centre. That is how these events are carried out in the US, and they always seem to work out fairly well. That way, the costs would be cheaper, the tickets would therefore be cheaper, and there would be more space for everybody. I have no idea how one would put this into practice, but that appears to be the most suitable option to me.

Still, I will be attending!
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734

Personally, I think the best thing for a large LEGO show in the UK would be to hold it at a large out of town exhibition centre. That is how these events are carried out in the US, and they always seem to work out fairly well. That way, the costs would be cheaper, the tickets would therefore be cheaper, and there would be more space for everybody. I have no idea how one would put this into practice, but that appears to be the most suitable option to me.

Let's think... Somewhere like Event City in Manchester perhaps? ;-)
    CCCgifinimandheCapnRex101
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,228
    ^ Not THAT out of town....

;-)
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    @Matthew - I withdraw my comment ;o)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited February 2014
    The money seems a lot but then so did £28 for a family of four to see the Lego movie. In 3D it was even more. The film is what 1 1/2 hours so the prices are kind of in line with that.

I'm also thinking after walking around for three hours in a busy show with kids in tow it would probably be a blessing to leave. If I was going without kids I might just buy two tickets and get effectively a whole day for £30 which also seems like good value (if you're not buying tickets for an entire family). For comparison how much is a ticket to a west end show? A football match? London zoo? Even Legoland?
  • smartiepantssmartiepants Member Posts: 15

The money seems a lot but then so did £28 for a family of four to see the Lego movie. In 3D it was even more. The film is what 1 1/2 hours so the prices are kind of in line with that.

I'm also thinking after walking around for three hours in a busy show with kids in tow it would probably be a blessing to leave. If I was going without kids I might just buy two tickets and get effectively a whole day for £30 which also seems like good value (if you're not buying tickets for an entire family). For comparison how much is a ticket to a west end show? A football match? London zoo? Even Legoland?

I can understand that three hours would be enough with kids in tow but there are AFOL that would like the opportunity of having a full day there,
    not moaning about the price its just the availability of day tickets
    London Zoo/Legoland would you get kicked out after paying to get in?
    Football Match maybe you have hit on something here & they are missing a trick, next time I go to buy a ticket for a match i'll ask if they do tickets for the first half only they could resell my second half ticket & make more money
    its just strange that according to previous shows 3 hours was the average visit, if that was the case why have the 3 hour sessions not been snapped up quicker if better value just leaving the full day tickets, it looks like we have to opposite with no day ones left
    good idea about buying two sessions for £30 but there would be two lots of booking fees I think we paid £38 in total for two of us for a single session so you are not far off £40 each if booking two sessions, how much were the VIPs ?

London Zoo/Legoland would you get kicked out after paying to get in?

No, but what I'm saying is the price of a ticket online for Legoland is £31 for kids and £35 for adults (add £10 if you just buy when you get there) so buying two sessions is kind of in line with a days entertainment. Honestly to me it does seem to be a bit overpriced, £10 for 3 hours seems more appropriate than £15. Of course, if it truly is overpriced just hold tight and there might well be some discounts to be had?
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,605
    So I just looked and you cant buy 2 tickets for different time slots at the same time so you will have to pay booking fee and delivery for them both which makes it around £38, I paid £45 for my all day VIP ticket and yes some people paid £17 for there all day ticket. And with 2 tickets they might still kick you out and make you come in again. Like some people have said I can see this all being very messy on the day with some VIP tickets, some all day tickets but not VIP tickets and most people with timed tickets (I am guessing that people that got the early tickets will not be given VIP tickets for £17 but just different all day tickets). I also think the same thing with the VIP ticketing having early entry, it might take time to get people in and it could end up being a bit pointless.

The cost is not my main issue as market forces will determine if the price is too high and we will see a low uptake on tickets that were in high demand before the change to time slots. So I guess I should stop moaning about paying £45 as they are sold out but we do not know how many were available, I am guessing not many.

My main problem is with the way it has been handled:
    + website not being up before tickets went on sale
    + not knowing what will happen at the event to make a informed decision on how long you want to stay and what you are willing to pay for tickets
    + not being told when the first tickets went on sale that these were limited early tickets
    + not being told before the tickets went on sale again that time slots were being added
    + different people paying very different prices and only a few able to get all day tickets

I think the only people that will be happy are the ones that now have the cheap all day tickets. I should be happy as the VIP tickets are sold out but at £45 I still have no idea what I will be getting for that and if it will be worth it but because of the way the ticket have been handled I had to make that choice very quickly and with little information. I am now not feeling good about the money I have sent and am not looking forward to it like I should be as I am worried when I get there I will just feel like I have wasted money.

So I don't want to be all negative because I think it is great you have got the O2 and
    the show could be awesome.

What I would like to know is:
    + when will the website be up (more information on the show be given)
    + might the tickets change again (all day tickets be added again or more VIP tickets be made available)
    + If the time slots don't sell will you go back to all day tickets?
    + Have the people that have the early £13 tickets been given VIP tickets or different all day tickets?
    + Is there reserved seating in the theatre for VIPs like the O2 website says and if so what is this.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,393
    edited February 2014
    For a family of five it is not worth it, even more so after travel is factored in.

I think I'll view it on youtube instead!
  • JenniJenni USAMember Posts: 1,372
    @warrenelsmore

I think that you do believe that you've given everybody enough ticket options but the reality is that you haven't. I also understand that you would want to steer people toward AFOLcon to make sure that that event is viable but your exclusionary policies there stop that from being an option for some of us.

Here's my problem and it's got nothing to do with the ticket prices.

I am an AFOL married to an AFOL with a CFOL who is trying to decide whether to become a marine biologist or a LEGO designer when she grows up. She was at STEAM from when it opened until an hour after it closed without getting bored (thank you again @carlq ) after spending the evening before in a pub quietly building a tower ( thank you @princedraven and @cheshirecat for those bricks) and at a restaurant with a dozen AFOLs.

I would love to give you 195 GBP for tickets to attend AFOLcon (my CFOL has been attending multi-day adult conventions since before she was born) but you decided on an age limit. I considered buying tickets for my husband and I and taking turns going to the convention sessions then buying her a weekend ticket to cover the show. Now that's not an option. So as it currently stands my only option to spend these five days with my friends, and helping Kev with whatever he's doing with Fairy Bricks, is to buy AFOLcon passes that we won't get to use for the majority of the events and then buy my daughter 9 tickets at 15 GBP each. Not going to happen.

I'm not spending two days driving from Toulouse to spend 3 hours at your show, so now I'm looking for other holiday options, surely she'd like to go to Billund….

As annoying as my personal situation is I'm also really disappointed at the messages the management of the LEGO Show is sending by its policy choices.

The exclusion of TFOLs without a parent in attendance seems to discount their importance to the LEGO community, I'm glad the TFOLs I know on this forum are either just over 18 or geographically unlikely to want to attend, but I still don't like the message. If there are legal issues requiring that provision then you should state so.

Given that you know that the average visitor spends 3 hours at a LEGO show the session format would seem to be mostly unnecessary as people will just leave. The imposition of a 3 hour limit appears to be to ensure that people don't stay all day, and the vast majority of those people will be AFOLs, not general public parents and kids. What this policy says to me is that AFOLs who choose not to attend AFOLcon and AFOL parents are not welcome at The LEGO Show.

While these policies will probably net you more money for this show I question whether in the long run it is wise to alienate a large section of the AFOL community, especially its younger members who are already disappointed by your choice of date as it relates to school and university schedules. I'm sure you're going to get enough exhibitors this year but I'm pretty sure you're planning to have more events in the future and I think it could impact the quality of the exhibits you're hoping to attract.

Nonetheless I hope everyone has a lovely time, and that you at least break even. I'll send a postcard from Denmark and catch up with everyone at STEAM instead.
    BooTheMightyHamsterorodes
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    Jenni - I'll answer this quickly, but I've just finished a 2 day drive to Copenhagen and am very tired, so bear with me if I forget anything! It is a very important point you raised though.

The conversation about TFOLs is one I have had in the past, with people in the UK, Denmark, The Netherlands and elsewhere. Child protection is handled VERY DIFFERENTLY in the UK.

In the UK, if you are under 18, you are a child. There is no leeway at all to that. Before our 2011 show, I spent 2 days on a residential course with the NSPCC (the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) about child abuse, abduction, rape, sexual abuse and much much more. I'm sorry to be blunt about it, but I'm not going to 'sugar coat' it either. It was quite possibly the most harrowing training I've ever had to do but I felt it was very important to take place. They helped us develop some very very clear guidelines in dealing with adults and children. I could mention names of specific high profile cases in the UK that would put chills down most event organisers spines right now - if they considered what they would do in that position.

Our child policies are non-negotiable and I know that upsets alot of TFOLs and their parents. To be honest, I would rather not have to do this, but we do. There are ways to cope with this (the procedures that youth clubs etc follow), but that would involve large costs on our part in terms of employing responsible adults and much more planning time - and we'd then have to factor those into the ticket prices. If that means that many people can't come to the show - then I am afraid that is what needs to happen.

There are similar facts about dwell time, venue capacities etc etc etc. The UK is the hardest place in Europe to put on something like this - and worse than the USA as well. I'm an AFOL myself and I feel the pain. But I can't work miracles and sometime rules have to be made.
    more than a week on and still nothing on the website....

and not one single 3 hr session has sold out, what does that tell you

one good thing is that we might not get kicked out after three hours if there is no one to go in....

i'm sorry to go on about this Warren but as mentioned before this has been misjudged by not releasing enough day tickets
    It would be great warren if we could have some more information and answer some of peoples questions

+ when will the website be up (more information on the show be given)
    + might the tickets change again (all day tickets be added again or more VIP tickets be made available)
    + If the time slots don't sell will you go back to all day tickets?
    + Have the people that have the early £13 tickets been given VIP tickets or different all day tickets?
    + Is there reserved seating in the theatre for VIPs like the O2 website says and if so what is this.

Thanks

btw I do hope the show is great and lots of people get to go and enjoy it and next year it will be even bigger and even be on for more days
    first time slot sold out
  • BrikthepropBriktheprop Member Posts: 6
    Morning all.

I purchased a ticket for the Friday only to find out a few days later that it had been assigned as the 10am slot. I was not aware that there were specific sessions and nowhere was it mentioned when I paid for it.

Given that I do not live in London, this is going to be a total nightmare - my wife does not enjoy waking up at 5am!

Does anyone know if there is any chance of swapping to a later session during the day?
    edited February 2014
    How do you know you got a 10am slot has your ticket come? If you ordered before it went on sale for the second time it should be an all day ticket
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 386
    I have to say I'm in total agreement with a lot of what's been said here. The Lego Show, in London, in a massive venue like the O2, surely a good thing?!? Well, maybe, but not when there is little or no information about what I'm paying for.

Obviously it's a bit late now to change the ticketing policy or admit that the organisation has been a bit of a shambles, but hopefully learn lessons for next year. It seems that the organisers have aimed too high and are now needing to maximise ticket revenue to cover the cost of the venue.

Fingers crossed I'm proved wrong and everyone that has bought tickets comes back with reports of a wonderful show, value for money and 3 hours being plenty of time to see everything.
    SMC - I looked at my order confirmation from AXS Guest Services, and on the email it said:

Event: The LEGO Show 2014
    Date & Time: 9 May 2014 at 10:00

A bit harsh to give me the 10am slot given that I didn't ask for that.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    For my taste, there is a bit too much negativity here. I got my ticket and hope The Lego Show will be a success.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    Seems the event has now been cancelled and moved to November at the Excel London, due to high demand! Just received an email to cancel my booking.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710

Dear Lego Fan,
    Ticket demand forces LEGO Show to move from The O2 to ExCeL London

The LEGO Show will be moving to ExCeL London after an insatiable demand for tickets meant organisers of the iconic event needed more exhibition space.

Originally set to take place at The O2 from 9-11 May 2014 it will now take place at ExCeL London from 27-30 November 2014.

ExCel London can easily be reached from The O2 via the Emirates Air Line cable car.

The huge demand for tickets and space required to accommodate the expected attendance has forced the organisers to move the show to allow more visitors the chance to experience it.

Because of the change of venue we have refunded your booking to you automatically, you should see the refund on your statement in five to seven working days.

If you still wish to attend we have a special link, just for you, to purchase new tickets on, which you can find here.

If you need to contact us about this then please call us on 0844 856 02 02.

With the change of venue the organisers are excited to announce more LEGO fan displays, more exclusive fan content and that every ticket is now a full day ticket.

kind regards
    LostInTranslation
    Yup, just had the same email... shame, but at least they are thinking about the practicalities of this event. Well done organisers, it can't have been an easy decision to make but I think you made the right call.

It'll be interesting to see what the new show is all about.
  • scottwb2010scottwb2010 ScotlandMember Posts: 236
    That is better news. Wasn't making the trip down just for 3 hours entry to the show. :-)
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    I've asked Warren for an official announcement, if I get one I'll post it.
  • dfurndfurn Member Posts: 191
    Oh no what a load of total bollocks. I don't suppose @warrenelsmore you'll be willing to refund the cost of the train tickets I'd bought for my son and I to attend this event? We were traveling from Yorkshire. Better still when he bursts into tears when I tell him we can't go let me have your number, I'll call you, and you can have the pleasure of hearing a small boy cry.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    Announcement now on the home page.

I won't be there, I'll be in the Caribbean on a cruise, for my 25th wedding anniversary :(
    andhe
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,393
    dfurn said:

Oh no what a load of total bollocks. I don't suppose @warrenelsmore you'll be willing to refund the cost of the train tickets I'd bought for my son and I to attend this event? We were traveling from Yorkshire. Better still when he bursts into tears when I tell him we can't go let me have your number, I'll call you, and you can have the pleasure of hearing a small boy cry.

I was just thinking about this. It's a right kick in the balls for anyone booking advance rail tickets or air tickets for people abroad.
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    The expense of getting to Manchester and the ticket price for The Lego Show 2012 was just about ok but now? In London? Holding an event like this in the middle of the country makes far more sense than moving it to London and all the associated extra costs. Sorry, count me out.
    ^ Hardly. 22.5 million people live in London, South East and East of England. Thats more than a third of the UK. Add on to that the best transport links to the rest of the UK and it makes complete sense. Sure it might cost a bit more to go by train and hotels are a little more expensive but its a whole lot easier for a whole lot more people. And thats coming form me, living 25 mins away from the Manchester venue.
    mressinSirKevbagsPaperballparkscrumper
  • dfurndfurn Member Posts: 191
    I think my point is that organisers of a show such as this, intended to be a national event, should realise people make transport plans months in advance. It's not such much how far London is from elsewhere, it's more the fact that if you make specific travel plans to visit, canceling the event and thinking if you refund people's ticket costs that's enough to keep people happy is a very much mistaken thought. That's all.
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    ^@cheshirecat was responding to the comment by @gifinim about the location, your view is understandable.
    cheshirecat
  • brickstoriesbrickstories Member Posts: 36
    I see this has now been moved to November. Organisers see it as a good thing and are offering refunds, unfortunately hotels and airlines aren't being so accommodating.....awesome :(
    I think they have known about this change for a long time, as they have a venue and dates booked, the name changed and the website is now up too, it looks like a lot of time was sent making it and is this change why it was not up before. Not good for people that have made plans already. I think Lego must have asked them to change the name as people will think Lego run the Lego show. I am sure the new show will be great but this has all left me unexcited about the whole thing.
    This may seem a strange question to some but does anyone know ie from previous shows or have info, on what extra benefit you get from a £42 VIP ticket, apart from the mentioned, Goodie Bag, Reserved seat in the Theatre, Lanyard and VIP Pass over the £16.75 General admission ticket?
    edited February 2014
    ^ I tried to find that out for the old lego show as I got a VIP ticket so I could go all day and didn't get any answer, all I know is you get in an hour early and you should get a goodie bag but who knows what will be in it, don't know what the reserved seat is for as I thought you would be walking around looking at things most of the time. I think if I do rebook I will just save my money and go for a normal ticket and buy some lego with the saving. Sorry I couldn't help more.
    ^ Thanks @SMC . It must be good in the bag for the extra £25. lol
    SMC said:

I think Lego must have asked them to change the name as people will think Lego run the Lego show.

I'd be surprised if this was the case as the previous two shows have run with that name and been endorsed by TLG. This year seems to be the same - there is smallprint in both the LEGO Show and BRICK 2014 logos saying so.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Do we have a link for the website?
  • StormKittyStormKitty Member Posts: 268
    For this year? This?

http://www.thelegoshow.com/

http://www.thelegoshow.com/

I think the Lego show is a better name than brick 2014, so it does make you wonder why they changed it and added the tag built for lego fans this does seem like they were limited in the way they could use the word Lego. Lego does support smaller groups by letting them use Lego in the title but maybe the size of this show is becoming very large and has the potential to make a large amount of money and because of its size there could be confusion that Lego were running it. There does seem to be a few odd things like surly it has cost them to book and unbook the o2. When I saw the name change I thought there was more to this than we know.
    That website looks pretty similar to TLG's own and mentions in several placed that they are supporting it. Makes the name change all the more strange...
    Lego could support them but has just asked them to change the name to stop confusion
    I am pleased that this will now be an all day event for us now with a more suitable venue for this type of show but I do feel sorry for the people that have already made travel/hotel arrangements, tname change is very strange i'm guessing Lego didn't want it to look like it was "there" show & to be associated with the backlash from moving the date & location at such a late change, I bet there was some careful negotiation between the organizers & Lego to make this happen
    dfurn
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 622
    its says family tickets are available, but i cant find them listed anywhere? anyone find the link?? please
    ^I noticed that too but couldn't find the tickets either. Only option was the £16.75 general admission or £42 VIP tickets.
  • therixonatortherixonator Member Posts: 1
    Very disappointed, booked flights from La Rochelle so that my sister could bring my nephew over for a birthday treat. Booked us VIP tickets in a rush in what I didn't know was a pre sale. The flights cost £190, thanks a lot.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,088
    Looking at the website am I understanding correctly that AFOLcon and Brick2014 are essentially the same thing but AFOLcon is a full weekend ticket with some extra evening events?
  • DfenzDfenz IrelandMember Posts: 41
    Shib, AFOLCON is more than a weekend ticket. There is a full day of events on the Wednesday prior to the show opening to the public on the Thursday. See the agenda here http://www.afolcon.com/agenda/
  • LegonizerLegonizer San Diego, CAMember Posts: 39
    A lot of the negativity I'm seeing is stemming from lack of information and nonrefundable transport-associated fees. However, my question is if I have not yet booked transport and intend on exhibiting and therefore getting free admission, and even if the convention is a total bust I'll enjoy visiting London for the first time, is there anything for me to be angry about?