Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Maybe this is as good as it gets....

PaperbackwriterPaperbackwriter Member Posts: 105
edited January 2014 in Introduce yourself
.....yes, I'm a lot like Melvin in the movie of the above title. I'm old, grumpy and didn't discover Lego until I was in my 60s. My favorite Lego build is 10181 Eiffel Tower. My favorite Lego products are the large sets like Tower Bridge. I'm sort of retired. I stopped working in the spirit of John Galt. I think Lego should have a set honoring the Taggert Transcontinental Railroad. When I first discovered Lego, I 'Googled' the words 'adult Lego'. I tell ya, that was an interesting search. Anyway, best wishes to all. Now, back to building my third pet shop. This one with some modifications.
margotFrothyCoffeeManLegoboyStuBoy

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,206
    Welcome, Melvin - I'm afraid you're forever saddled with that nickname now, regardless of what you chose when you registered.

Looking forward to your contributions on here.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to Google "adult LEGO".....

;-)
    FrothyCoffeeManMorkMan
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Melvin? Forget that, I'm calling him "old and grumpy". I love it. Perky people annoy me.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    @Paperbackwriter Hi, nice to know there are a few of us "Oldies but Goodies" here on the forum! I'll be celebrating the big 70 on my next birthday and hubby will be celebrating his 67th in less than a month. We got into the hobby almost five years ago and have found it useful in keeping arthritic hands moving as well as distracting hubby from the tremors of Parkinson's disease! Too bad the cost isn't a tax deduction as a medical expense!
    legomattFrothyCoffeeManYellowcastleStuBoy
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    @AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz It should be counted as medical expenses :) my psychologist got me into Lego two years ago due to my severe PTSD. It works most of the time. Have regressed in last two months since being medically retired from Army but it still helps out when I have nightmares. Oh and I am 41. My mom still gets a kick out of me getting into 'playing' with Lego. Lol
    AFFOL_Shellz_BellzFrothyCoffeeMan
  • FrothyCoffeeManFrothyCoffeeMan Member Posts: 46
    @Paperbackwriter
    Welcome, my Facebook is regularly peppered with adult Lego pics, from friends and family.
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    I'll be celebrating the big 70 on my next birthday and hubby will be celebrating his 67th in less than a month. We got into the hobby almost five years ago
    It would be interesting to know the length of years people have been playing with Lego. Mine dates back 44 years; I still have much of that Lego, albeit only as parts, not sets. And to be fair, there is a chunk of adult-hood that I was not active ....
  • PaperbackwriterPaperbackwriter Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2014
    I have been playing with lego a little less than two years. It was tough playing catch up. Of course, some sets are out of the question. But I did get Taj Mahal, the large lego Eiffel Tower and all of the retired modular buildings.
    Lego is a nice diversion.

My family could not afford Lego back in the 50s and 60s when I was a child. Guess I'm making for lost time.
    YellowcastlelegomattLostInTranslationBrickarmor
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 607

I'll be celebrating the big 70 on my next birthday and hubby will be celebrating his 67th in less than a month. We got into the hobby almost five years ago
    It would be interesting to know the length of years people have been playing with Lego. Mine dates back 44 years; I still have much of that Lego, albeit only as parts, not sets. And to be fair, there is a chunk of adult-hood that I was not active ....

I received my first Lego set, #565 Moon Landing, when I was 5 years old. That was about 38 years ago. I was actively collecting from 1976-1989 (well, "begging my parents" is actually the correct term!), then from 1999-present (Star Wars brought me out of the "dark ages"). I still have #565, along with #445 and #113, all my very first Lego sets, rescued from my mom's garage.

• KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    So you're just a newbie then! :)
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,538
    @Paperbackwriter You have most excellent lego taste.

I, on the other hand, am completely suckered in to movies & super hero tie ins. Curse my low brow TV watching lifestyle! LOL :oP

Though thankfully I managed to squeeze Emerald Night and medieval market village in before they EOL'd.