Question about new forum policy

dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
edited January 2014 in Forum Operation
As I don't want to run afoul of the new policy banning the divulging of instances of people violating purchasing limits, will LEGO be providing Brickset administrators of a clear policy limit for current and future sets? Alternatively, will the administrators be interpreting the vague and sometimes conflicting official information themselves and provide us with regular updates of what they consider these limits to be?

I value being a member of this forum in good standing and wish to remain so, so I appreciate any clarity that can be provided

Thank you in advance
Crowkillersjoel4motion

Comments

• AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    edited January 2014
    I'm not a moderator, but it seems just avoiding mentioning numbers bought is the easiest way to avoid going afoul of the policy. It seems easy enough to mention having bought a specific set without mentioning having bought 10 of them or whatever number. A set number and price should be enough.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Doug, I think it will be easier to just not talk about reselling anymore.

I may continue to view the site as a LEGO fan and collector, but may not make any further comments related to resale. Time will tell as to how this goes and I may change my mind, but that is my current thought.

It is, by far, the safest way to approach it.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    edited January 2014

I'm not a moderator, but it seems just avoiding mentioning numbers bought is the easiest way to avoid going afoul of the policy. It seems easy enough to mention having bought a specific set without mentioning having bought 10 of them or whatever number. A set number and price should be enough.

a conversation that has occurred about 1000 times on this forum:
    A: "how do you think set X will do post EOL?"
    B: "blah blah blah, but I've got about 10 of these stashed away"

the number conveys something meaningful. It's either a cautionary message to tread carefully, or a recommendation to go big, backed up by the poster's admittance of their own actual commitment, which lends weight to the recommendation.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    @LegoFanTexas I don't think that is the best way to approach the Forum. You are a major pai....I mean...contributor to this Community and some may view you as a necessary "evil". I enjoy your posts as I do with most everyone's posts.

Please rethink your approach to the situation :)

Buying 100 sets with no expressed limits is not the problem. As far as I know, you are free to buy as many Lego sets as you want as long as you aren't circumventing purchase limits. Even if you do, you probably shouldn't "brag" about it within the forum.

madforLEGO
    edited January 2014
    Let us not rehash the previous 50+ pages in the "Thread".

@doubts is now awaiting an answer to his questions. After that, I imagine we will have another in depth conversation.
    so is @dougts

;-)
    Pitfall69margot
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited January 2014
    @dougts - You're just going to have trust in the discretion of the staff here. I think you'll find this clarification will have very little impact on how you conduct yourself here.

With regards to your example, no one on Staff will call you out in a Buying/Selling discussion for referencing your (hypothetically speaking) 4 Simpson Houses. If a member expresses concern by flagging your comment, we will just ask them to move on. If you and Pitfall start discussing how you managed to get 4 when he was limited to 1, we're going to ask you both to just move on. If the issue unlikely persists, we'll reach out to the party in question via PM, reminding them on the issue.

I think most here would agree that this is really a non-issue. Please PM me if you still have questions and I can then bring anything probative back to this thread, as needed.

@All - this was a valid question from @dougts which I believe I have now answered. Please do not use this new thread to rehash the now ended debate.
    Pitfall69
    thank you for a reasoned response.
    Pitfall69
    dougts said:

so is @dougts

;-)

Damn, autocorrect. I get a pass. I'm Pitfall. Mistakes like this should be expected from me.

Pitfall69 said:

@LegoFanTexas I don't think that is the best way to approach the Forum. You are a major pai....I mean...contributor to this Community and some may view you as a necessary "evil". I enjoy your posts as I do with most everyone's posts.

Please rethink your approach to the situation :)

:) Don't take it as a dramatic comment, that is why I softened it with "may" and "I might reconsider" and "we'll see".

This isn't me throwing a fit or stomping off or claiming to take my ball and go home (those would be immature), it is just me feeling a bit unappreciated for what I've offered and contributed. Perhaps I'll feel better in a week. :)

I'm also well aware that this isn't my forum and the admins have made their decision, I respect that. It isn't what I would have done, but they see it differently so perhaps their solution works best for all concerned.

The irony is, I'm not chomping at the bit to have buying limits talked about, rather I want the people who don't like resellers (for any and all reasons) to simply shut up about it, because frankly I don't care and don't want to hear it. With a safe zone, I could post without fear of judgement, such as being called a slimy reseller (for whatever reason).

After the great doodah wars, I stopped posting about my hauls, even without pictures. I used to note what I would find, both from store shelves and from other collections that I'd come across. I haven't done that for awhile due to the "how dare you buy up all that" and other such nonsense.

We'll see how I feel about it in a week. It doesn't really matter of course, this forum is much bigger than me and it will continue on just fine either way. :)

On a more positive note, my wife started the Sydney Opera House today (for those who don't know, my wife is Australian), my daughter worked on her Friend's Heartlake Pet Salon, and I started my Jedi Defender-class Cruiser. It was a fun afternoon of building LEGO. :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,797

The irony is, I'm not chomping at the bit to have buying limits talked about, rather I want the people who don't like resellers (for any and all reasons) to simply shut up about it, because frankly I don't care and don't want to hear it. With a safe zone, I could post without fear of judgement, such as being called a slimy reseller (for whatever reason).

I think most people have accepted that reselling goes on. I think most people have accepted that reselling is not wrong. In fact, the reselling part isn't the issue. It is the stock buying that is.

I don't really care what stocks of what sets people are holding. I don't care if people clear shelves during a sale. If they post stock levels in the right place and in context, it is up to them. But I don't want to have to have to hear about how you (one, not you personally) can circumvent limits imposed by lego by using multiple accounts, or other people's credit cards and addresses, etc. This just encourages more people to break such rules.

I know that if such information is not posted, it will still go on anyway.

For every Billy's Most Excellent Road Trip, I bet there are another 10 people doing the same thing and not bragging about it.
    sidersddmadforLEGO
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,797
    PS. while there is a discussion about rules. Can we have a no posting gratuitous photos of (human) body parts rule?
    Pitfall69dougts
    Will it be a hard fast rule or are we limited to 1 or 2 posts? Can we create another Brickset account, so we can skirt the limits and post more?
    LegoFanTexasdougts
    edited January 2014
    Pitfall69 said:

Will it be a hard fast rule or are we limited to 1 or 2 posts? Can we create another Brickset account, so we can skirt the limits and post more?

Can our wives/husbands create another account and post? What about our kids, they love LEGO too!

What if we have a split personality, does that count? :)
    Yellowcastle