Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The redesigned Brickset site

Comments

• KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    Yeah I'm getting that too at the moment; its only 4pm here (8th Feb).
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    The only way I can access the forum is through an email link.
  • iuliandiuliand Member Posts: 15
    margot said:

The only way I can access the forum is through an email link.

Google for "bricksetforum".

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,711
    Not sure what's going on but I'm investigating...
    red237
  • jondesouzaCEjondesouzaCE UKMember Posts: 242
    Is there any way of getting the site to default to eBay UK on individual set pages?
    Is your flag at the top right of the page showing you're in the UK?
    If you don't see a flag it might be because the site thinks you're in 'Europe' so click where it looks like there should be a flag, to the right of the Sign out link.
  • jondesouzaCEjondesouzaCE UKMember Posts: 242
    Thanks Huw. There wasn't a flag but that's worked perfectly.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Just a usability nit, but when browsing sets in a format that has columns, I'd love it if the columns were sortable by clicking on the column heading (i.e. Number of pieces) rather than using a detached drop down box.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 574
    I'm currently not able to access the main site, but am getting the message, "This page is generated by Parallels Plesk Panel, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address."
    I've tried both Firefox and IE and tried forcing a refresh, but the Parallels page persists.
  • iuliandiuliand Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2014
    Still seeing

"Web Server's Default Page

This page is generated by Parallels Plesk Panel, the leading hosting automation software.
    "

I can't access the site since yesterday morning.
    So I understand most users are able to access the site but some don't? May be a DNS error?

edit: I just tested on three different internet providers and none of them loads the brickset site.
    Something happened overnight again which caused this to occur again. I have logged a call and it should be resolved at 9am.

It is very disappointing that it's happening, particularly twice in a row, and if it happens much more I will have to consider moving hosting again!

Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Is there a way to automatically show having a full series of collectible minifigs once we have indicated we own all figs for that series? Example - I collected all of the Lego Movie minifigs over three purchases, when I indicate owning that 16th fig, if the full set would automatically generate a 1 and the number of each individual fig decreased by 1 it would be very helpful.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ Many would not like that kind of automatic inventory adjustment on their CMF so I doubt Huw would look to implement that kind of logic.
    Agreed, plus it would be far too complicated!
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 872
    Can't currently access the main site. Getting error 522.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    ^Got that for a bit here, too, but it was up again when I tried again, an hour or so later. Seems a bit random, really.
    edited February 2014
    Seems there's some performance degradation in Europe on CloudFlare at the moment:

https://www.cloudflare.com/system-status

Twitter claims they are "Mitigating a large attack hitting much of the EU"

So I've bypassed it which seems to have helped a bit and review the situation in the morning.
  • LouiseLouise Member Posts: 5
    @Huw -- I used CloudFlare on Tranquility Base for a while after a particularly heavy spam attack but found it ended up causing more problems than it was supposed to solve so gave up on it. Of course, for a large site like Brickset, the benefits might end up out-weighing the problems.
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    edited February 2014
    Great new design, really cool. A little bit of feedback:
    1. On the Amazon bargain list, I miss the links to the brickset database entry.
    2. The way I remember it, the Amazon bargain list always showed the total price, i.e. item price and shipping. This seems to be not the case anymore (at the time of writing, look. e.g. at the Ultimate Mater listing).
    3. I still have the problem that I need to login by opening the login link in a new window. I have this issue with a number of devices and browsers, e.g. on Win7 and Win8.1 with Firefox and IE. Am I the only one with this issue?

Anyway, great work, the site definitely looks more Lego-ish now. :)
    1. Assuming you are referrring to a page like this, click on the image then you can get to the details, or on any of the blue 'tags' under the set name to get to other relevant parts of the database

2. The way we gather prices had to change due to Amazon implementing a bot-blocker and the new, Amazon approved, means does not expose postage. We may be able to come up with a workaround but it won't be easy or implemented just yet.

3. I haven't heard of that particular login issue, just the one with the authorisation cookie being ignored and prompting for log in every time you visit.
    @Huw Thanks for the quick response.
    1. Ok, thanks, that's exactly how it used to be. :) FYI, I was referring to this page, where I love that one can quickly change between different sellers/countries.
    2. Dang. Thanks for the info.
    3. I probably didn't explain the issue well because the way the error message points towards a workaround makes me think the problem is known:
    - On the main page, I left-click on "login".
    - In the overlay window, I enter username and password.
    - I get the error message "Invalid username or password. Please re-enter and try again or use the login page if you continue to have problems."
    - I have that problem under FF27 and IE11 on Win8.1 (Surface Pro) and Win7. Obviously the workaround works for me, so it's not urgent, but it feels odd.

Anyway, great work on the website!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,796
    @huw, the above (number 3) is exactly the problem I've had since it was in testing. I test it every so often (just the other day was the latest time) but I still can't log in using the pop-up form, and have to right-click on the 'login' button and open it in a new tab to get it to log me in. It's the same everywhere I try, whether on my home computer, work computer or Android phone.
    I think I have found some circumstances when the popup form would behave differently to the login page so I'll work on a fix today and upload tomorrow.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    @Huw - I didn't see a time stamp on the amazon bargain watch page. Are the prices still being gathered at regular intervals each day?
    They are, and the timestamp will reappear tomorrow.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,048
    Am I being dense? I cannot find the Brickset Exclusive Minifig galleries anywhere on the new site. What am I missing?
    They aren't there. You're the first to miss them. If I ever get round to wholesale photographing them again I'll reinstate them.
    Ah. I was going round in circles! Shame, they were great.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 444
    Welp. I just received around 50 emails from the 'News and Activity feed' at 10:16 am (Spain time - 09:16 UK).
    edited February 2014
    That's probably because I've just changed the code. The body now contains slightly different (c) text at the bottom.

Outlook didn't worry about it, though. What are you using to email you?
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 444
    edited February 2014
    Gmail. Got 19 more just now. So long until it starts thinking something is wrong...

Oh, and I was using BlogTrottr if that is the Q.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    @Huw
    Great job. Love the new sight. Thanks for all the hard work.

There is one thing I really miss. Hint, Hint.

On the set detail page, in the links tab, under For Sale there used to be an Amazon link.

I found this very useful for older sets that have no Buy Tab.

Keep up the good work.
    John
    If the item is being captured by our amazon import there will be a buy tab. However we've stopped capturing data for many old products because (a) it takes a while for the script to run and we are already capturing nearly 800 items and (b) once they go OOS at Amazon they rarely become available for a decent price from 3rd party sellers.
    Huw said:

I think I have found some circumstances when the popup form would behave differently to the login page so I'll work on a fix today and upload tomorrow.

Works now, thanks. Great! :)
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    @ Huw
    Thanks
  • bluemodernbluemodern USAMember Posts: 11
    I can't access the brickset site again today. It is the same parallel panels page as before.
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    edited February 2014
    @bluemodern I thought the same thing earlier but I was using the wrong link, brickset.com is ok for me.
    new.brickset.com, m.brickset.com and whatever.brickset.com will no longer work but www. and just plain brickset.com do.

The reason for that is I was searching for signs of plagiarism or republication of the RSS feed today a noticed two sites that were exact copies of Brickset. Turns out their DNS entries are pointing at the Brickset server, which is (of course) using a second-hand IP address.

So, now the server will only serve pages to brickset.com addresses, and only to registered subdomains.
    bluemodern
  • bluemodernbluemodern USAMember Posts: 11
    Thanks for the info!
    @Huw When I try to look at somebody's owned set list, it doesn't return a result. I've tried this with my own, making it public or non-public and doesn't appear to make a difference For instance:-

http://www.brickset.com/search/?OwnedBy=iso3200

Shows "ownedBy has not made his/her collection public."
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited February 2014
    ^ That's due to the old query strings no longer being used - the link above diverts to http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-ownedBy, which the site is interpreting as a request to see the collection of a user called 'ownedBy'. It should work if you use:
    http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-iso3200
    Correct Matthew, thanks. I have added redirection in for most all old URLs but not all.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    It's likely in an obvious location but I can't seem to find the "export" link or button to export my collection to rebrickable. Can someone point it out to me, please. I'm on my iPad, but can go to the PC if need be.
  • ninjagolightlyninjagolightly Member Posts: 140
    I get blank results on all database searches and the dropdown menus are not showng up either to browse. From the US.
    I was fiddling with the database indexes, it should be OK now.

Last night I was seeing lots of database timeouts so I've been optimising the queries today.

On another subject, is everyone staying logged in now? It seems better to me since the changes I made on Friday.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,500
    Yes, I have stayed logged on the last several days. Thanks for fixing that.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 648
    ^^So far, it seems to be working for me; I've stayed logged in for 3 days now.
    Splendid...