Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The redesigned Brickset site

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,711
    There's no pleasing some people, is there :-)
    rancorbait
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,796
    The sidebar with tabs on the front page is really good and very useful now - hopefully that will please the people who were bemoaning the removal of the links at the top of the page!

Can I make a suggestion though? I notice that it always defaults back to 'Sets' when you refresh the page. Would it be a good idea to make it so that it remembers which tab you had it on last? I'm just thinking that most people will have a favourite tab, and will want to keep that tab displayed, rather than having to keep clicking 'Legoshop' or 'more' each time they come onto the site. Just a thought :)
    Good idea, I'll sets if I can use a cookie to remember your selection.
  • iuliandiuliand Member Posts: 15
    I am new to to old site too as I joined brickset just a few weeks ago. I find the new site harder to follow because the information is bigger and spread on a wider area.

What really bothers me in the new site is the missing "quantity" information in the tabs of the sets, like "parts x/y", "reviews x","video reviews x". I didn't realized how important this feature was until it was gone. I used to have a quick glimpse over the set page and know how big or how popular a set is just by those numbers. I hope you will bring back that feature in a way or another.
    I would like to see my "not yet moderated" reviews appearing in a special section in MyMenu/Reviews. Maybe with an "edit" button next to each one.
    @Huw, could I suggest moving the small 'Shopping for LEGO?' side-bar item to the top, rather than having it underneath the 'Site Updates' section? It looks a little bit lost and easy-to-miss where it is, whereas if it was moved above the 'Site Updates', it would be easy to see, and shouldn't move that section down too far. Just a thought.
    I did wonder about that, let's see how it goes...
    edited January 2014
    @huw I don't know whether this is just the new site or the old one too, but the series of Simpsons House reviews have made me notice something. The posted time for today's review states 16:24, yet I know for certain it wasn't up then. I'd say it was more like 21:30 or so that it posted. This would make sense if brickset is hosted in the US, as the east coast is 5 hours behind us.

Basically, is it possible that you're setting the 'publish' time as about 16:30, and it's then being published at 16:30 US time (EST), 5 hours later than you're intending?
    In this particular case I started writing the article several hours before it was finished by Capn Rex, so it shows the time I started, not when it was actually published.

We can change the publish time but don't normally bother unless we need post-date them or something.
    Ah I see, thanks for that explanation!
  • DrLegOBrickDrLegOBrick UKMember Posts: 68
    Hi all. Perhaps I should of put this in a PM, but I thought I'd ask out in the open the question, as I think others would like to know. I really value Brickset's exclusive gallery's on minifigs, it's great when I buy a new set in some cases to be able to see the minifig properly, don't get me wrong, BL's and EB's pics are great, but nothing beats, IMO, Brickset's. I fully understand that with the new site you've been very busy, but afterward, along the road as it where in the future, is there plans to update or expand them?
    I do plan to, when I find the time!
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    @Huw Do you think we could have a "Sets we need reviews for" button?
    What would it show?
    Um... the sets that we need reviews for :o) So we can cover everything easier.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    This can be done with the advanced query builder:
    http://www.brickset.com/search/advanced/run/?q=1340
    Thanks! I guess I'm not a familiar with the site as I thought!
    Good call!
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    There are 5565 sets there, @rancorbait. Better get started.
    rancorbait
    Today I tried to edit ACM for one of my sets using iphone 4s. After pushing "Edit" I can edit all the fields but I can't see "Save" and "Cancel" buttons. They seem to be out of the ACM frame.
    Please make "Not yet moderated" reviews be listed in "My Menu \ Reviews" section. If I close the Review window after I create it I don't see how I could edit the review prior being moderated. If it would be listed in my reviews section then I could access it later from there.
    I don't really know what to do about the ACM on a small screen, there's just too much information to be displayed. I could put the edit/save/cancel buttons on the left of the row but then other fields would be lost.

I will give it some thought though.

As for reviews, yes I'll add that feature.
    >Please make "Not yet moderated" reviews be listed in "My Menu \ Reviews

I have this working on my development machine. Unmoderated reviews will be visible when viewing reviews written by a specific author, but not elsewhere on the site.
    Thank you for taking the time to implement this.

Regarding ACM on iPhone iOS7, I studied a little bit why the buttons are not visible and I think I reached a conclusion.
    Initially, in view mode, the ACM window is sized to encompass all the elements but when I push "Edit", entering edit mode, all the elements inside grow larger though the ACM window remains the same size thus the "Save" and "Cancel" buttons are pushed outside. I think the solution would be to make the ACM window a little longer from the start, just enough all elements to fit in edit mode.
    I don't mind scrolling a little bit more because I'm used to this on a small screen.

I just tested ACM on a GalaxyS2 with Android 4.1.2 and it's even worse. In view mode the ACM window will be limited by the screen size and only some of the fields are displayed. In this case maybe would be a solution to make a separate ACM interface for low resolution devices and leave the current ACM as it is for PC (it looks and works beautifully on PC).
    edited January 2014
    Thanks. Given the potential work needed and the small number of people who would benefit, I wonder, is it reasonable for people with small-screen devices to expect such 'complex' parts of the site to work on them?

There is always the option of switching to the desktop site to access them (link right at the bottom) after all.
    Well, I expected it to work... :))
    I remember you were saying that a large portion of the site visitors are from mobile devices and that was one of the main reasons of redesigning the site. That's why I am trying to help in this regard.
    I stumbled on this issue while I was adding a set to my collection with iPhone in one hand and the spoon in the other because I was eating in the same time... I imagine I'm not the only one trying to do two things in the same time benefiting from mobile freedom. :D
    I forgot to mention, on iPhone I was using the full version of the new site, not the mobile one. I think it is loaded by default because I don't remember doing any special selection regarding this.
    edited January 2014
    While I agree that it should work, currently only 3000 people use the ACM so it's a case of development priorities: I'll see what I can do eventually, after I've got through the list of other tasks that'll benefit everyone.

Is switching to desktop view on your phone and scrolling around not a feasible option for the few times you'd actually want to use the ACM on a phone?
    Maybe only 3000 people use ACM because it was quite strangely implemented on the old site and not readily available. At least for me it was not even usable despite being enabled. On the new site it is a lot easier to use it and it shows it's benefits, so I think it will gather a lot of users from now on.

Regarding the desktop/mobile version I think I wasn't clear enough:
    On iPhone I was in fact using the desktop version when I experienced the issue. I wasn't even aware there is a mobile version too until I accessed the site from Android.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    You obviously have bigger issues to attend to at the moment, but just posting this now while it's still fresh in my mind. Apologies if it was mentioned previously, also.

Search result page:
    - When a set search result is displayed in Table view, there's no hyperlink to the set details. List, Gallery, and Classic all have one.
    - Speaking of the links to the set detail from those views, I wonder if it could be more obvious that this is still a search result and that there's a full set listing available. Perhaps an icon denoting additional information, i.e. magnifying glass or data sheet.

Set details page:
    - I'd prefer the "Collections" box was higher in the list, as a fair amount of my usage on this page would entail record keeping. It should at least be higher than the availability information.
    - The set image is big and beautiful, but it comes at the cost of pushing down the box below it onto the next page, which has important links like "Ebay", "Amazon" and "Reviews"
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    On the topic of ACM, on my Android phone when the pop up for viewing the ACM data comes up the data is too long for the window but the pop up doesn't have the ability to scroll left to right. This appears to be a window problem since it happens on the desktop version as well (Windows 7 + chrome) if you make your browser window skinny before popping up the ACM window. But then on the PC version if you grab the resize for the popup and change the size of the popup it then shows the scroll bars and you can then scroll just fine, but on the mobile version (at least on my phone) it doesn't let you use that corner resize.

So it seems the window can figure out that the contents don't fit then window and show the scroll bars. Maybe if it was able to show them initially when it doesn't fit instead of only after a resize action has occurred then it might work find on the mobile. It appears to just be that the initial popup doesn't have the ability to scroll.

• legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 444
    There is just one think that I don't like about the page and the forum, same happens with other pages. This might be just me, but I hate that many bits of info are all together in the sea of white.

In my preference I like it more when things that are used differently or have different purposes are at least delimitated somehow.

Eeh... an example will explain it better. In my 'profile' tab , everything is together, with no delimitation. My ideal would be at least a small line separating the 2 columns, or the 2 columns and also the two preferences things.

Same with the discussions and the sidebar on the forum.

But that's probably just me, so move along, move along. :-)
  • steve23094steve23094 Member Posts: 42
    Hello all,

Something weird has happened to my 'minifigs owned' when the new site went live. I have ACM active.

On a few (but not all) I am showing 'owned in 1 set' which is correct, but I'm also showing that I own '1 loose' which is incorrect. I'm trying to figure out what these mistakes have in common and it seems to be the more recent sets I have added to my owned list. However they were added well before the problems with the site.

By trying to figure out what the problem is I have noticed there is no longer an option to force an update of your minifigs list. I presume you have to now wait an unspecified time? I prefer the option to force an update.

Another worry is whether there are any other problems I haven't noticed yet. Have you checked your list recently?

Thanks.
    Oh. Something that may help track this down. The figs I seem to have erroneous numbers on were at one stage on my wanted list.
    I have figured out how to force an update of your collection. There doesn't seem to be an easy or obvious way to navigate there.

Select 'My Sets', then 'Collection Summary'. Underneath the main site tabs you will see 'Home > Your Collection > Your set (or minifig) collection'. You then have to click on the bit that says 'Your collection'. I hope this helps someone else.

I haven't figured out the duplicate entries on my database though.

edited February 2014
    Steve, what's your username on the main site? I'll do a database query and see if I can spot any anomalies.

Minifigs you own (from sets) are updated, using your set list, when you first begin a session and also when you click on the link on the my sets page. They aren't added/removed as you add/delete sets from your collection, for historical reasons: the server couldn't cope when I wrote the code originally. Now that it's not likely to be a problem I'll see if it can be changed.

The 'your collection' page is the destination of the big 'My Sets' button on every page. If it's not obvious that these are clickable maybe I need to add entries to their destination in the drop-down menu.
  • magrimagri UKMember Posts: 157
    I've just noticed something possibly a little strange (or maybe it's my understanding of the breadcrumb...)

I was here, then searched using the box top right, and when selecting a result, it changes the breadcrumb to the following:

brickset

I would have expected it to update to show the correct themes/subthemes, though maybe it's meant to be a history of where you've been?
    The last link is meant to be a way back to the list you were viewing before you looked at the set, but if you have two tabs open or search, as you've found, it breaks. I can fix the search problem, I suspect, but not the two tabs one.
    Huw said:

Steve, what's your username on the main site? I'll do a database query and see if I can spot any anomalies.
    The 'your collection' page is the destination of the big 'My Sets' button on every page. If it's not obvious that these are clickable maybe I need to add entries to their destination in the drop-down menu.

Hi Huw,

Thanks for offering to look into this. My username on the main site is steve23094. The minifigs that I have noticed this issue with are (there may be others but I think this is all):-
    sw256 Captain Antilles
    sw472 Count Dooku
    sw413 Darth Malgus
    sw486 Max Rebo
    sw483 Ree-Yees
    sw487 Weequay
    They all have in common that they are more recent additions to my collection (but before site problems), they were all on my wanted list before I purchased sets with them in, they are now showing as own 1 in sets (correct) and own 1 loose (which is incorrect).

With regards to the navigation issue from 'My Sets' button. Okay I hold my hand up, that was me being stupid. I'm happy now I know where to look, but for other stupid people maybe you could have both options? Just click the big button to take you to that page and have another entry in the drop down menu.
    Can you un-tick the I own loose to remedy the problem?

I can send you a list of your minifgs recorded in the 'loose minifig' table it it helps, but as far as I can see it all looks normal.
  • boogalooshrimpboogalooshrimp Member Posts: 2
    I personally love the new redesign. There might be a few things here and there that are perhaps less than ideal, but overall I think the site is much more visually appealing, and UI functions much more smoothly.
    ^ Thanks :-)
  • martynmartyn Reading, UKMember Posts: 148
    Hi @Huw, no rush, but can you reinstate the profile option to select which type of forum (Categories or Discussions) you want the Forum link on the main site to direct to. Still can't stand the Categories view and this will make it easier to flick between the main site and forum in one browser window. Thanks
    OK
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Can we still look up member's set lists/want list? I'm having trouble finding it and I need to finish up my decisions for a Secret Cupid gift.
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 675
    Is anyone else experiencing an error when trying to access the main site?
  • adello25adello25 U.S.A.Member Posts: 361

Is anyone else experiencing an error when trying to access the main site?

I am. =(
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360
    edited February 2014
    ^ & ^^ Yes, you're not the only ones, is it going onto something called Parallels and it says it comes up because Brickset.com doesn't exist? Screenshot of what I mean is attached. Unfortunately I'm not an internet jargon expert by any means so I don't know anything beyond "it's stopping me accessing Brickset". Totally confused, but then again it is nearly 2am where I am so no surprise!

If Huw could shed some light on this that would be great :-)
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    Hi there.
    Has anyone pointed out that the 'remember me' tick doesn't [remember me]; I'm having to re-log in every-time I re-visit (at least when I've closed my browser altogether).
  • byhovabyhova IndianaMember Posts: 55
    edited February 2014
    I to am getting an error when trying to access www.brickset.com. It's going to the parallel website. It's 9pm where I'm at....I need my lego information fix