Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Storage Bag Labels

klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
Some of us like to keep our sets intact for rebuilding. Does anyone else make labels for their baggies of Lego? It makes taking out the set again a little more like the original crinkly-fresh-bag experience. My initial handwritten ones were too messy. After different sizes and formats I ended up with a template that works for me. It takes some time add the pictures, but makes it easier to find the right bags on rebuilds. Here are my Winter Village labels, if anyone else would like to use them.
TheBigLegoski

Comments

• BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    Nice work there!

I don't even have time to properly sort by unopened stuff... much less worry about the stuff that has been opened and built :)
    madforLEGO
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,377
    edited January 2014

Nice work there!

I don't even have time to properly sort by unopened stuff... much less worry about the stuff that has been opened and built :)

Agreed, I just leave them in their box to open and build later, or if opened, throw them all into a sm or 1 gallon, well on some sets, 2 gallon, resealable bags and use masking tape and a magic marker on the tape to the bag.
    My GF likes to connect all the similar parts before they go into a bag.. which is why she no longer helps in sorting sets with me :)
    I just do not have the time to be that exacting. More power to those that can :)
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,349
    edited January 2014
    My Lego collection (all the sets I have build and taken apart) is such a huge mess. I bought a bunch of black/semitransparent plastic containers at IKEA (they are called 'Samla').
    ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/S99898536/#/S59903016
    (of which the air trapped inside BTW gets a really nasty recycled garbage bag stench when you open them after a while, which I hope won't affect the quality of my Lego?!)
    They are filled up with sets mostly from the same theme until they are full, with a little note with the set numbers and names written on it. I should really buy a whole bunch of resealable plastic bags, and print out labels to stick on to them, to create some order out of the chaos.

@klatu003
    Your labels are really nice looking, but I don't know how useful they are, when you occasionally build MOCs for which you raid and plunder bricks from a large number of sets, which eventually will cause many of your bricks from different sets to get mixed up.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,233
    ^depends on how you store your collection I guess. I have separate bricks for MOCing and tend to keep my "collection" (of sets and minifigs) separate, and I think there's probably a lot of Lego peeps who do similar. I may be a bit extreme, tho; even when I raid sets for bricks, when I take the MOCs apart I will put the pieces back into proper sets, bagged in numbered ziplocks the same way that Lego did them originally, (so essentially the same way @klatu003 does too). I never thought about using pics on the labels before, but maybe I'll try it with my WVB set to see if I like it, so thanks for sharing!
    :)
    chuckpLegobutterflyklatu003Legoboy
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684

...I have separate bricks for MOCing and tend to keep my "collection" (of sets and minifigs) separate, and I think there's probably a lot of Lego peeps who do similar. I may be a bit extreme, tho; even when I raid sets for bricks, when I take the MOCs apart I will put the pieces back into proper sets....

Wow! So glad you posted that. Thought I was the only who does this. I too have a separate set of MOC bricks and on the rare occasion I need a specific brick from a set for a build, it goes right back after I'm done. When I have to pack a display set up it goes in a bag, never in the MOC bin! NEVER! ;)
    khmellymelLegoboy
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    We use zip-lock freezer bags because they are thicker and hold up to repeated handling plus they have an area to write on. If a set requires more than one bag to hold the parts I do number them but I don't sort the parts, they are just thrown in willy nilly.
  • FrictionPinFrictionPin Member Posts: 144
    ^ditto on all the above. Freezer bags, write set number, bag # (if all won't fit in single gallon bag), then throw in 30 gallon bin with the rest of the bags of sets.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    @khmellymel & chuckp After a episode of stealing from sets to MOC and taking forever to find the parts for a rebuild, I decided to keep my sets and MOC supplies separate. Do you guys put IOUs in the set bags, if you resort to borrowing? Found myself doing that recently.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,233
    I keep a spreadsheet in Excel. But putting a note or something in the set bags is a good idea too, just to have a reminder! My boyfriend does it for his DVD collection (puts a post it note in the slipcase) when we loan to friends and I still never thought of it. That's two good ideas you've given me now @klatu003! :D
  • programmerdanprogrammerdan Member Posts: 27
    I'm still evolving my storage techniques (started collecting only about a year ago). All the same, I've definitely kept my MOC parts and built models separate. I recently picked up a bunch of duplicate kits on sale and parted them out into my MOC containers, because I don't intend to use them as built models, but most of my MOC pieces are just from PaB or Bricklink purchases.

This thread is great for a relative newbie like myself to the AFOL scene -- saw a few good tips (freezer bags for handling strength, "IOU"s for borrowed pieces, etc.)

Do people typically store a set's minifigures separately from the set bricks, or mix they all together? Any special handling of fabric pieces (sails, capes, skirts, etc.)? I like your storage labeling technique, @klatu003, although that's overkill for me right now; I could never sustain that much attention to detail.
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited January 2014
    @klatu003 Yes, I definitely do the IOU thing too. I used to write down the set names and a descriptions of the parts borrowed on one sheet, but it didn't work so well for large sets. I now use Post-Its and put them on the display sets on the spots of the missing parts. For a recent build, some of my sons City sets looked like they developed some weird, neon paper rash. :)
    klatu003
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    @programmerdan asked: Any special handling of fabric pieces (sails, capes, skirts, etc)?

I find minifigs with capes do fine in snack size ziploc bags, either alone or with a few pals. As for larger fabric pieces like sails, they can be placed between thin cardboard or poster board stock and placed in a ziploc. I've also put sails in the instruction booklet and placed that in a ziploc. As you can see, ziplocs are our friends!
    BTHodgeman
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    ^ I like the "inside the instruction" booklet approach.
    LegoMom1
  • programmerdanprogrammerdan Member Posts: 27
    Thanks @LegoMom1, ziploc for the win :).