Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Star Wars polybag for May the 4th 2014: Darth Revan

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Member Posts: 3,639
    edited March 2014
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,543
    edited March 2014
    Let's quickly get back to a thread about the May 4th Promo and ignore the attempted derail.

I'm glad so many people are excited by the promo (whether it turns out to be May 4th or not). As a films-only fan, it's not my cup of tea personally, but sounds like some serious excitement going on. And I would have to be stupid to ignore the obvious buzz this character has generated in some comments.
    If he proves a massive pull, and makes a lot of people happy, well played TLG.
    krklint
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,169
    Maybe the Sandcrawler won't be that essential May 4th purchase for me after all. You can enjoy KOTOR when it was out and still be disappointed that the promo wasn't an OT character, like Zukuss or 4-LOM, that probably won't be seen in any other set as they missed the opportunity to put them in the SSD.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium Member Posts: 1,956
    plantman said:

I just have a feeling this is a hoax.

I don't think it's a hoax. It'd have to be a really good photoshop job. Just look at the product image again. http://images.brickset.com/revan.jpg
  • prof1515prof1515 Member Posts: 1,550
    krklint said:

Glad to see you cling to specific demands for science fiction as a genre...

George Lucas himself acknowledged that Star Wars is not science fiction but fantasy. That's why you'll find a princess in distress, knights with swords and plenty of stock characters. He used Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress for the plot and borrowed most of the elements from fantasy and fairy tales.
    krklint said:

I'm also glad to know most of us are not that shallow. Btw, are you really a Prof? because if you are, we could go prof to prof in an honest debate about your existence on here or in this thread. I, too, have seen the market change and directional change of Lego. I, too, have cut way back on my spending; but outside of these items, your statements are really the shallow and uninspired information shared.

I'm going to assume that English isn't your primary language because that was rather poorly written and sounded like something a spambot would post.
    krklint said:

Star Wars has major depth. In an age where there was no internet or computers, and at a time when movies had more to do with disco than adventure, SW gave a whole generation a chance to connect with each other... and they did! Something without depth cannot accomplish that (unless it is reality tv, lol).

That's not depth, that's popularity. The characters in the Star Wars films are very two-dimensional, the story is very simple and the dialogue is lackluster. Sir Alec Guinness himself didn't even like the films, considering them rubbish. I'd say he probably knows a thing or two about films, for what it's worth.
    krklint said:

Also, it is nice that you feel willing to label others ignorant, yet I believe my background in literature, marketing, rhetoric, and fan communities allows me to see that you are either a thread troll or just a person upset that the rest of the world highly disagrees with you. As TheLone Tensor said above...

My background in history, film, literature and "fan communities" tells me you're a fanboi. You enjoy something and that's fine. However, it's a mistake to assume that because you like something (psst, I like the Star Wars films too, btw) that it's therefore more than what it is. Star Wars is escapist fantasy and is enjoyable as that. The original film was groundbreaking in regard to visual effects but it's far from the greatest film ever and the series took a major turn down starting with ROTJ onward. As for the rest of the world, they don't all disagree with me and even if they did, that's still just an argumentum ad populum. However, not everyone does disagree with me.

As for the video game, yes I've heard of it. I even played it briefly but didn't care for it. As with all the Star Wars EU material, it just adds convoluted crap to a meager story without actually adding depth to the story or characters. Lucas didn't intend for there to be depth to them either. He wanted archetypes and a basic story, not a deep one.

The prequels didn't add to the depth either; they just added to the length of the story, stretching it out beyond the basics but not contributing anything of substance. The Clone Wars movie and cartoon also did the same. That's likely what we'll get with the new films. Popular money-makers but not great cinema.
    Brick_Obsession
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526

Here is the rumored release from our friends at FBTB

http://www.fbtb.net/2014/03/26/darth-revan-minifigure-revealed/

Disregard if posted earlier.

Did you look at the source for their article? :-)
    edited March 2014
    prof1515 said:

This year was a little different as I'm debating whether or not to abandon collecting Lego's Star Wars and as a result haven't purchased a single set since last year. A good promotion might have inspired me to make a purchase but I can safely say that this dud has convinced me otherwise.

Of course, this general lack of collecting is part of my continuing debate over whether or not to abandon collecting Lego altogether. To date, I've spent less on Lego in the last two years than I was averaging any given month prior to that, a trend I don't see changing given Lego's offerings. There's always the modular line to suck a little of my cash but overall it gives me more money to spend on more important things. :-)

Things are a little different for people that build the sets, rather than keep them sealed. Take the rehashed X-wings, for example, that get a lot of flak. Although they look similar, the builds are different. And they look good displayed next to each other. You can see how they have developed / changed the designs. This sort of thing is interesting to someone that enjoys building with lego.

If you no longer enjoy lego, then give up collecting it. It is common sense.
    Yodalicious
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,148
    edited March 2014
    prof1515 said:

My background in history, film, literature and "fan communities" tells me you're a fanboi.

So you're declaring his argument argumentum ad populum with use of appeal to authority?

I don't think you really get how this logical fallacy thing works. You don't get to declare someone's argument a fallacy with a fallacy of your own. For a statement or claim to be a fallacy, that statement or claim has to actually be wrong, it's not just a fallacy because you declare it as such.

You need to prove that majority opinion across a statistically sound sample size ranking a film very high in the list of all time film ratings isn't an objective determination of what defines "great cinema". You need to define how great cinema is a thing that can be objectively defined in a manner that renders the way people view a film as meaningless to that definition.

Failure to do that means you're just implicitly admitting that you are merely spouting personal opinion, that your opinion is a minority one, and that even with your decades or whatever of study of film, history, and literature you still fail to grasp how most people determine great cinema, which should be embarrassing at best.
  • vader34mtvader34mt Member Posts: 88
    well this has certainly gone off topic...

anyway...if true...add me to the list of people who would love to get their hands on a darth revan fig

better than the 1000000th version of han *cough*snowgearhan*cough*
    plasmodiumhantot
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    ^I'm super pumped for Revan, but I love that correctly attired Hoth Han just as much. Just sayin'.
    Pitfall69jasorYellowcastle
  • jediami65jediami65 Member Posts: 474
    vader34mt said:

anyway...if true...add me to the list of people who would love to get their hands on a darth revan fig

DITO!!! I have played the game and own the Hasbro figures. So looking forward to this...Any different figure not previously done in the SW line is GREAT!!!
    y2josh said:

^I'm super pumped for Revan, but I love that correctly attired Hoth Han just as much. Just sayin'.

i know what you mean...but that han just as easily couldve been included in the tons of hoth sets we've had recently

for a promo fig...i want something that is either A) extra special (like chroming) of B) not going to fit in with any other set

revan would def qualify as B

Yellowcastle
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Member Posts: 1,842
    jediami65 said:

vader34mt said:

DITO!!! I have played the game and own the Hasbro figures. So looking forward to this...Any different figure not previously done in the SW line is GREAT!!!
    Count me in too! I don't understand all the negativity toward Revan, it makes perfect sense to have a figure that probably won't ever be seen in a set, Beru may have been more appropriate to go with the sandcrawler, but personally I think Darth Revan was an excellent choice.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor Member Posts: 3,937
    vader34mt said:

for a promo fig...i want something that is either A) extra special (like chroming) of B) not going to fit in with any other set

Except that he could easily be included in say a future Ebon Hawk set. Honestly, are there any characters in SW (EU included) that could not be attached to a ship or scene somehow?

vader34mt said:

Except that he could easily be included in say a future Ebon Hawk set. Honestly, are there any characters in SW (EU included) that could not be attached to a ship or scene somehow?
    well that's on the assumption they would make an Ebon Hawk...no matter how nice that would be, i think it's less likely than just a one time promo fig

but we can dream can't we?

edited March 2014
    I wasn't assuming anything, but simply refuting that Revan is a character that wouldn't fit into any future set. There are many he could be a part of logically. Even so, logic isn't always the driving force to put out a minifig. There are many examples of Lego inserting a character into a set that really had no business being there: #9499, #75003, #9495, etc.

That being said, I tend to rank SW as OT, EU, CW, PT, so I'd welcome them expanding into the EU, even if it's just a minifig poly (even if it's not Thrawn, who was really the first poster child for the EU).
  • ShibShib Member Posts: 5,469
    Amidala with the GunGun sub was always the one that i had the most trouble rationalising with the random mini figures included, I know that most of them can be rationalised with some stretch but that I think is the only one that induced a full what the hell response from me.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious Member Posts: 1,366
    I consider myself a Star Wars fan and was well aware of KOTOR's existence when it was popular, but knew nothing about it besides that it was a thing and never played it. Therefore, I have no idea who Revan is. Doesn't make me less of a fan, just a fan of certain parts of the Star Wars world and less knowledgeable of others let's say.

All of that said, I want the minifigure. Not because I'm a completionist (I'm not when it comes to the Star Wars line), not because it's free with purchase (I bought Martian Manhunter off of Bricklink), and not because I'm a fan of the character (as stated above, I didn't know who he was). I want the minifig because I think it's a good looking minifigure.

It's all personal opinion whether it's the right move for the May 4 promo (if that's really what it is), but, if it is, I like that it's outside of the box of comfort on LEGO's part.
    pharmjodlegomattteal93mr2
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    This topic really got people going didn't it?

I've never seen* ESB or ROTJ and in my opinion Boba Fett minifigures are rubbish!

* this is actually true
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    I am quite happy with the Darth Raven figure. The printing looks great and the figure looks very nice and he will sit well with the other KOTOR sets.

I do agree that it is an odd choice but a nice one, like a few have said. Personally I am happy these promo figures offer something different and new.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John Member Posts: 2,405
    ^Let's see...Darth Revan or last year's Han.

It's a tough one...not! Definitely Revan.
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
  • plasmodiumplasmodium Member Posts: 1,956
    I'd just like to point out it's "Revan" not "Raven". My OCD is seeing a lot of vowel switches up there... ;)
  • plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
    Ok... it looks like Revan is legit. If they follow this up with some more KOTOR stuff I will have to start buying Star Wars sets again...
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    Thank you to everyone who wrote me private messages about prof1515 being a thread troll on brickset. I'm going to just ignore that poster from this point forward. No sense responding to someone who is known to red flag other members, write down to other members (fanboi, lol), and is recognized as being something less than a positive voice within the brickset community.

Now, honestly everyone. I'm hoping for a Simpson's cross over in the creation of a Darth Bart "Simpson."
    margotrancorbaitkwkw
  • BastaBasta Member Posts: 1,259
    edited March 2014
    Cross overs do happen,

So you never know.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Member Posts: 1,842
    krklint said:

Thank you to everyone who wrote me private messages about prof1515 being a thread troll on brickset. I'm going to just ignore that poster from this point forward. No sense responding to someone who is known to red flag other members, write down to other members (fanboi, lol), and is recognized as being something less than a positive voice within the brickset community.

Nailed it!
    kwkw
    edited March 2014

I've never seen* ESB or ROTJ and in my opinion Boba Fett minifigures are rubbish!

Never seen Empire Strikes Back!?! (I shall ignore the accidental slur against the Bobalicious one) ;o)

So, you never watched the awesome Hoth sequence?
    Never saw a Taun-Taun eviscerated?
    Never bore witness to how ...ah ...aah ...aaah ...how bad ...aaah ...aaah ...ahhh... it smells?

YOU NEVER saw Han tell Leia to F**k Off?? ...No wait, that was something something else... :oP

In that case, sir, I can only do this! *slowly stands up, and begins to applaud*

You realise, once Disney find out, they'll come looking for you!

:oP
    RomanticWarriorpharmjod
    Basta said:

Cross overs do happen,

So you never know.

After the Simpsons, we now need ...

Give it another 20 years.
    legomattkrklint
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Member Posts: 995
    tom4086 said:
    Has a May 4th promo polybag ever become available on general sale somewhere before May 4th? Maybe this is another TC-4 situation, and not actually the promo.
    Maybe lego are pulling a fast one. Get this minifig out in a few of it's non-core sales countries as a teaser, then hit us with a super-duper OT minifig for real on May 4.

Like a yellow skinned Han to go with the new lego skinned Luke. :-)
    jasor
    Sorry @legomatt but all you wrote made no sense to me at all. I do intend to get round to watching ESB at some point though.
  • AleyditaAleydita Member Posts: 952
    €10 for a polybag from what I presume is an official Lego reseller? What the hell?
    edited March 2014
    @mountebank yeah I knew it wouldn't, :o) (I'm not even referencing the movie as such, really).

But you've got yourself a sleeper joke that'll lie forgotten in the deep recesses of the mind, until finally you watch it (and a certain cartoon parody)... then you'll go 'haahaa...'. I'm playing a long game with that one. :oP

Has a May 4th promo polybag ever become available on general sale somewhere before May 4th? Maybe this is another TC-4 situation, and not actually the promo.

Now that would be great (regardless of being a fan or not of Revan), as more polys equals more characters for everyone. :oD
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 Member Posts: 11,454

* this is actually true

You based your opinion on a character from a movie(s) that you haven't seen...nice 8/

Personally, I believe Empire to be the best Star Wars film. Here, we meet Yoda, Lando and Boba Fett. Boba Fett seems to consistently show up on peoples top 10 lists of greatest Star Wars characters.

We learn so much from this movie other than Taun Tauns smell really bad. I'm not going to spoil it for you because you haven't seen it (shaking my head). Also, Irvin Kershner did a fantastic job directing the movie.

pharmjodtiminchicagoGothamConstructionCoLobotjasor
    CCC said:

Maybe lego are pulling a fast one. Get this minifig out in a few of it's non-core sales countries as a teaser, then hit us with a super-duper OT minifig for real on May 4.

Like a yellow skinned Han to go with the new lego skinned Luke. :-)

Aren't all minifigures Lego skinned ;)
    Pitfall69 said:

* this is actually true

You based your opinion on a character from a movie(s) that you haven't seen...nice 8/

Personally, I believe Empire to be the best Star Wars film. Here, we meet Yoda, Lando and Boba Fett. Boba Fett seems to consistently show up on peoples top 10 lists of greatest Star Wars characters.

We learn so much from this movie other than Taun Tauns smell really bad. I'm not going to spoil it for you because you haven't seen it (shaking my head). Also, Irvin Kershner did a fantastic job directing the movie.

Don't forget, in those wonderful special editions, we met Boba in IV.

And teeeeeeeechnically, we met him in II.

Ugh, I'm depressing myself.
    pharmjodPitfall69jasor
    edited March 2014
    Pitfall69 said:

I should have been clearer. People say "this Revan minifigure is rubbish because I don't know the source material". Being a smiley-free renegade I pretend to claim in my ignorance of the source material of ESB that Boba Fett (about whom I know nothing) is rubbish.

I'm looking forward to clubbing to death like a baby seal* my next flippant comment.

* I don't actually club baby seals to death.
    Pitfall69
    Reminds me of the best and shortest joke ever:

"So a baby seal walks into a club..."
    chuckppharmjod
    Not shortest joke ever. Jimmy Carr did 4, 3 and 2 word ones.

Venison's dear, isn't it.

Stationery shop moves.

Dwarf shortage.
    madforLEGOred5nerick906Beav
    ^Doh! Got me there.

The difficulty is in the delivery of such short zingers.

Pitfall69 said:

* this is actually true

Don't forget, in those wonderful special editions, we met Boba in IV.

And teeeeeeeechnically, we met him in II.

Ugh, I'm depressing myself.
    This is true, but when I discuss the OT, I always start with the original theatrical releases.

I try to steer people away from the prequels ;) EP 1 was awful, but it could have been much worse; then again, it could have been much better.

edited March 2014
    Pitfall69 said:

EP 1 was awful, but it could have been much worse; then again, it could have been much better.

Meesa agree on both points.
    weevintiminchicago
  • neomonkeyneomonkey Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2014
    Darth Revan is confirmed as the May 4th promo. Just need to spend $75 to get it.

Darth Revan Promotion

http://www.neoape.com/lego-star-wars-darth-revan-minifigure-available-in-may/
    edited March 2014
    ^ Well, that's £50 quid saved then (for me).

@mountebank And may I just distinguish myself as not being party to the parts forming part of the clubbing party. I shall take no part in tenderising any party's parts. Each to their own. :o)
    edited March 2014
    I thought all you need is to be .50 cent to be in da "club" partying ;)

"If you talking about money Homie, I ain't concerned."
    Xefan said:

prof1515 said:

My background in history, film, literature and "fan communities" tells me you're a fanboi.

So you're declaring his argument argumentum ad populum with use of appeal to authority?
    No, I didn't. Read the threat again and you'll see that he did that and I merely pointed out that he has no greater claim of authority than I do. ;-)
    Good thing I'm not an authority on the Star Wars Universe. It would be interesting if they had a school for Star Wars; much like Hogwarts :) Seriously, I think if someone opened up a school, there would be people who would sign up for classes.
    krklint said:

I know I ruffle some feathers within the community but I'm actually quite content with that fact because those that do take issue with me aren't exactly the sort of people whose opinions really matter. I respect those who earn my respect and certainly not those who utterly fail to do so. I can't say I really know you (can we know anyone via the internet alone?) but you appear to be in the latter group. Ultimately, I don't form an absolute judgement though because one can never be sure and I don't choose to be that kind of person. You and those who gossip with one another can name-call me a "troll" and choose to "ignore" me if you choose. That says far more about you than me though.