Share your favorite techniques

vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
edited March 2011 in Building and Techniques
Obviously SNOT is a big deal in the pantheon of advanced building techniques, but it's often hard to line things up just right due to offsets and such. Here's a cool stud reversal technique that I stumbled upon that gives you completely flush plates, no offset:

Slotted SNOT

It uses a 1x4 brick w/slot and 1x2 plates w/door rail, slotted into the brick upside-down. The result is a 180° stud reversal with no offset.

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,256
    Nice ! I hadn't seen that technique before. Thanks for sharing.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    Not a problem! I figured this would be a good topic in 'Building and techniques'.

Yeah, I've used this a few times now in LDD designs (not in real bricks yet) but assuming you can trap the upside-down plate w/door rail on all three exposed sides, it should be a really solid connection.
  • cennsorcennsor Member Posts: 7
    neat idea.
  • MarkeyMarkey Member Posts: 69
    It's a nice idea, but I just tried this on a MOC, and the plate with rails sits too loose and falls out. So it's not very usefull, unless you can block it into place somehow.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    Markey, yes - this example was just for illustration purposes. In real-world application, the best way I've found to utilize this is to trap the 1x2 w/door rail so it doesn't move, as I stated above.