Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

[US] Wal-Mart: Harry Potter sets back YMMV

plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
edited January 2014 in Shopping USA/Canada
I don't know if it is widespread or just my area - Harry Potter sets 4842,4867 and 4866 are back in stock at my local Wal-Mart (Wausau, WI). Oddly enough, the shelf price on the 4842 (Hogwarts Castle) is $89.90. They are same boxes as the 2010 release - so it's not a re-release....

Comments

• PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,419
    Feeding. Frenzy.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 946
    And you did not buy them all?
  • charlatan13charlatan13 Member Posts: 118
    edited December 2013
    And yet still not enough of a draw to get me to enter a WM this close to Christmas. Good luck to the brave and fortunate.
    FollowsClosely
  • plantmanplantman Member Posts: 97
    I didn't buy them - I already have them.
    margotSirKevbagsPhoneboothrichocharlatan13EKSamJennilego007
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,364
    Wausau is close enough that I'm tempted, but not on a Sunday night after getting 6+ inches of snow dumped on the area.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Wait a few days to give Little Jimmy a chance.
    oansun
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    I think even little Jimmy/Timmy is smart enough to sell the set and buy numerous other sets with the extra money made.
    FollowsCloselykylejohnson11
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    WM does inventory resets every few years it seems and they find older stuff like that which their inventory said they didnt have but they find in the back. I got 5 burrows and 3 toy story trains back in like Feb that way.
  • TrenthTrenth Member Posts: 162
    Yep I picked up a Knights Bus a couple of weeks ago
    FollowsClosely
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 372
    edited December 2013
    iccarus said:

Wausau is close enough that I'm tempted, but not on a Sunday night after getting 6+ inches of snow dumped on the area.

I honestly almost did the same. 3.5 hours away...

These are the sets my 10 year old wants more than anything. She's pacified by LOTR/Hobbit for now though.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 946
    Next time pick them all up and give them away here :)
    charlatan13
  • darktremeredarktremere Member Posts: 42
    I hope to see them in my Walmart, those are the sets my daughter wants.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,820
    Yeah, not gonna lie, they would not have stayed on the shelf if I had seen them.
    FollowsClosely
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    Toys are a tricky business for Walmart. Walmart hesitates to discount stuff at the store-level, so if there isn't a corporate markdown, *most* stores won't use markdown money to clear old toy inventory.

That money is typically used in consumable areas, grocery, health/beauty, etc.

Overstock toys accumulate throughout the year, with the thought being that "they'll sell at Christmas time."

That being said, in recent years, corporate has been activating more and more markdowns on toys, especially after Christmas.

These items were probably hidden in a backroom or on a pallet for a year or more, and they are just now making it to the shelves...

In the case of the castle for $89.90, there was probably still a corporate markdown in the system for 25% off...
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    I went to two Walmarts this morning in CT (was late for work by a couple of hours as a result) and they had no HP and not much else for that matter. So good luck to those in WI.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    A pic would have made this less-difficult to believe.
    edited December 2013

A pic would have made this less-difficult to believe.

Just out of curiosity - why? Doesn't seem too far fetched that a Walmart store in Wisconsin stumbled across old Lego stock (in this case HP) and put it out on the floor. I know the Lego section of my Target was already looking picked over last night so I imagine that retailers find whatever they can to fill those shelves and that's how the HP stock was 'discovered'.

plantman not only posts the find/store location but also states that s/he didn't buy any of the sets. Do you really think this is impossible to believe? Truly not trying to be a jerk here but it seems plausible to me and I hope someone is thrilled to find the sets for purchase.

• BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Remember the guy who found the Taj Mahal just sitting by a pole cuz there wasn't a spot for it on the shelf? Good stuff.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I didn't say it was impossible. I merely implied it was difficult to believe.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I don't find it hard to believe, I've found all kinds of random old stuff in Walmart and Target before, things that they should no longer have, they have sometimes 1 or 2 of this and that, sometimes they have a full shelf of the stuff. Never lasts long of course, sometimes I buy it all, sometimes it wasn't worth buying in the first place.
    VaderX
  • iluvmyelementiluvmyelement Member Posts: 52

I don't find it hard to believe, I've found all kinds of random old stuff in Walmart and Target before, things that they should no longer have, they have sometimes 1 or 2 of this and that, sometimes they have a full shelf of the stuff. Never lasts long of course, sometimes I buy it all, sometimes it wasn't worth buying in the first place.

Speaking of old stuff on the shelves that wasn't worth buying in the first place.....my local TRU had at least 40 copies of Big Bentley Blow-Out this weekend. I almost had to laugh.

The shelves were almost empty - the only sets left were the Big Bentley, about 100 of the Funhouse, 200 of the Barrel Escape and a couple of the larger technic sets. Not a single Star Wars, Friends, Ninjago, or Creator set to be found.
    As of tonight they also stocked 2 POTC sets - Whitecap Bay and Cannibal Escape. I'm confused by the disbelief - I know it is unusual, but this isn't the first time I've seen this in my area. I live in Wausau and used to travel between here a little tourist town called Minocqua to the North hitting small town stores. Finding a 3 year old set wasn't uncommon (most of the small stores I frequented are closed down now unfortunately). I once picked up a 6079 Dark Forest Fortress that was 3 years old and some Pirate sets at an old Pamida that were more than 4 years past EOL.
    200 Barrel Escapes were still there? Even at $25?

Ouch...

That set is totally worth buying at that price, to build, to part out, or to put 5 or 10 back for the future. In my humble opinion. :)

You're right about Big Bentley Blow-Out, worthless set... How much were they asking for it? I call it worthless, but that isn't fair. For $20 a copy I'd take them all. :)

Everything has it's price.
  • iluvmyelementiluvmyelement Member Posts: 52
    ^ Yes - at least 200. I was floored. It was like nobody wanted them. Big Bentley was still $79.99 (inflated TRU price over retail). That's why they were still there. Oh....almost forgot...there was *ONE* Star Wars set there..... a single Advent Calendar (from this year). I was so tempted to grab it since they sold out so quickly - but just couldn't stomach the TRU price of $69.
    I thought I would add that if you live near a Mill's Fleet Farm they have good prices on LEGO sets. The new Jabba's Sail Barge is $87.91 and the AT-TE is $67.91. Prices are the same online.
    I'd truly believe that this Walmart had the item in stock. (Source: I am a former Assistant Store Manager for Walmart, and understand how the stores work. 90+% of stores will not initiate a store-level markdown, and instead will hold toy inventory for "next Christmas.")

My local TRU also has Big Bentley. They were priced $49.98 (clearance) and sold down quite a bit with the recent 20% off clearance coupons.
    edited December 2013
    @TheLoneTensor - fair enough. I just see the 'pics or it didn't happen' and was wondering why. As I said previously, my Target seemed to be filling lots of the Lego shelves with Cars, Hero Factory and Spongebob sets.

If nothing else maybe I'll be able to pick up some pristine Lego space sets if Sears goes under in 2014 since I can only imagine some of the buried stock lying around in their warehouses.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    I believe the OP. I went into a WM tonight and found 2 copies of the Ninjago Destiny's Bounty set. The store had a toy clearance set up in the lawn and garden area, and those were the only two Lego sets in the clearance section. Pretty darn strange because I did not see a single copy of that set last year at clearance time.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I saw a Space Police set at my WM last year right after Xmas. It was priced at full RRP and looked like it been sitting outside for about 5 years. I'm assuming someone had it in their garage for awhile and then decided to return it under the guise of "I just got this for Xmas and don't want it" since Walmart will take back anything.
  • intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    So what's the outlook for Walmart after Christmas this year>? I'll be there just in case, and I haven't stepped in one recently, but I know Target's LEGO aisle was absolutely decimated. I can't imagine Walmart looking much different.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    The one I went into today looked like a bomb had gone off in the Lego aisle. Sets were scattered everywhere and there was very little left...even if there is a clearance sale there, it wouldn't be worth it.
  • KanohiKanohi Member Posts: 41
    ^^ any chance you're in ABQ @circlek ? I had my eye on a random one there for a few months earlier this year put the price didn't go low enough for me. Box was utterly trashed.

It went down to $69 in May and then vanished.
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    Has anyone not noticed the fifty plus portable semi-trailer storage units Walmart brings to their store's in the garden department and along the backside of the stores one month before Christmas? So many untold treasures from last year(s) Holiday seasons could be lurking in them! Old sets could very well have been found in any number of store across the country. Many retailers purchase next years holiday merch. in January.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,820
    I've been told the trailers are primarily for layaway, but I can't confirm that for sure.
    BTHodgeman
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Kanohi said:

^^ any chance you're in ABQ @circlek ? I had my eye on a random one there for a few months earlier this year put the price didn't go low enough for me. Box was utterly trashed.

It went down to $69 in May and then vanished.

Central Ohio.

• KanohiKanohi Member Posts: 41
    ^not even close :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    While I'm sure people will find the mythical Walmart here or there that has all sets at 50% off, it will likely not be the norm IMO.
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    ^I have found it! Just once. After ten Walmart's and 1.5 days later it was still a pretty sweet score.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited December 2013
    Found a Winter Bakery today in a small Toy store, at full RRP.

Still see the occasional Pharos Quest sets at some stores too. TRU here still sell POTC sets as well, although not the ships.

You're right about Big Bentley Blow-Out, worthless set... How much were they asking for it? I call it worthless, but that isn't fair. For $20 a copy I'd take them all. :)

Everything has it's price.

Careful there, maybe $10 lol. I picked up about 10 of those for $30 each (AU RRP was $120 I think) last year and had trouble moving them at any kind of decent profit, ended up giving some away as gifts.
    ^ For $30 that is a nice looking gift... :)

Some sets... just don't work out perhaps as well as they sounded when they came up with the plan for them...
    Basta brings up a good point - you can sometimes score some older sets at small town "Main Street" type toy stores and even book stores. They usually are priced higher than they would normally be new, but when they are already retired it doesn't seem so bad. Basta also mentioned Pharaoh's Quest - our Barnes and Noble still had some last time I was there - I also was able to purchase most of the Atlantis sets there a few months ago as well. Maybe not the best sets if you are looking for profit - but I wanted them for my collection.
    VaderX said:

Has anyone not noticed the fifty plus portable semi-trailer storage units Walmart brings to their store's in the garden department and along the backside of the stores one month before Christmas? So many untold treasures from last year(s) Holiday seasons could be lurking in them! Old sets could very well have been found in any number of store across the country. Many retailers purchase next years holiday merch. in January.

Eh - those trailers usually aren't as exciting as you think. ;)

They're usually used to store Black Friday items until the sale, and as @pharmjod said, layaway orders. And bath/bedding usually gets put out there too since corporate sends so much of that stuff in October/November/December.

They don't usually put "old" merchandise in those. That is usually left in the steel racks in the back room until someone stumbles upon it.

• Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I have found that I get my best deals at Wal-mart once they move all of the LEGO to the Home/Garden center area. Thats a different dept manager and they usually just want all that "crap" out of their area. Once the stuff has been there a month or so they are usually very open to the idea of a bulk purchase.
    margotsandtherapy
    @Thanos75 - That sounds about right.

At risk of sending you all rushing to Walmarts in January to negotiate, price adjustments done at the register (i.e. bulk purchase haggling) are not the same as "markdowns" done in the computer systems. It mainly has to do with accounting, but when a markdown is performed in what they call the SMART system (their inventory/replenishment system), the store immediately takes a 'loss' for the amount of the markdown in their accounting books. That markdown reduces the dollar value of the inventory in the store.

When a price adjustment is done at the register, there is no such 'reduction' to the value of the inventory. As an example, a $20 Lego set is still worth "$20" for inventory purposes even if it is sold at $10 via a register override.

That only impacts the store's P&L (profit and loss) statement, which there is a lot less scrutiny over because of the sheer volume a typical Walmart store does.

That being said, you'll generally find that managers are more willing to negotiate with you when 1.) the inventory has been there a while and 2.) you are offering to buy a large chunk of that inventory. (i.e. ALL of the clearanace Lego, etc.)
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 416
    Didn't find HP sets but 2 POTC QAR at one of the multiple Walmarts I stopped by.
    CircleKturtle1173starwarfan77pharmjodBuriedinBricksdougts
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    wow nice find.
    lulwut said:

Didn't find HP sets but 2 POTC QAR at one of the multiple Walmarts I stopped by.

• krklintkrklint Member Posts: 500
    I guess some of the HP poly bags showed up in St. Cloud, MN this past weekend, too. Not at Wal-Mart, though, but at a Target store. No discount, but if anyone is up in that part of the U.S., it might be worth a look into. I was told selling price was $4.99 per.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    ^ Some targets I think still have, or have again some of the HP "potions lab" poly.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I saw one of the Potions lab poly's at Target the other day. Rang up full price. I also found two of the " Knights Bus" sets at Wm. Rang up $20 ...was really suprised to see them. Also had two "Alien Conquest " sets The walker set with the business man. They rang up at $20 as well. This was in New Orleans
    edited December 2013
    I saw a few of the Potion Lab poly for $4.29 at a Target in the Minneapolis area just this week. They weren't priced, so I had to scan one.

Ironically, these are the same poly bags that were selling for $.39 in November 2011.