Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego 21104 Mars Curiosity Rover

2»

Comments

• PerijovePerijove Member Posts: 116
    I was told that there is no guarantee that they will produce more sets after the first 10,000. I sure hope they do, though. It obviously seems to be selling well enough.

It's been fun reading the reviews, comments, blogs, tweets, etc of kids and adults who enjoyed the model. For many adults, it's been the first set they've bought in years or decades, which great because I think part of the purpose of CUUSOO is to attract people who don't normally purchase LEGO products.
    margot
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    Well it says sold out on US site right now, and mine never shipped. :,(
    The US shopping site has listed the rover as sold out before, but it returned a day later with an expected shipping date sometime in February or March. So I suppose there is a chance it might return again.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,674
    ^ it went back and forth today at least three times (been Sold Out and Backordered)
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    Good, hope it ships soon
  • JeffHJeffH Member Posts: 173
    My local store has a bunch...
    JeffH said:

My local store has a bunch...

LEGO Store, LEGOLAND Store, or LEGO Discovery Center Store? I've heard of them appearing in the last two, but not the first. Also, I recently learned you can get them in the Kennedy Space Flight Center gift shop in Florida, which is pretty cool.

• JeffHJeffH Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2014
    ^ Discover store. Thought about wiping them off but decided getting 1 extra instead. Too much hassle to flip on eBay. I plan to open one since I have one extra. Great set.
    Great, now I've got drool on my keyboard. Happy building!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    Back in stock!
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    ^ If this would have been available a couple weeks back when the Martian Manhunter was still available then I would have bought it. Unfortunately I don't want it bad enough to spend the extra on shipping. I'll wait for it to eventually show up at Amazon and Target.
    ^ I want to wait until double VIP but shipping really kills the deal. I wish the free shipping threshold wasn't $75.
    I made a really bad move by waiting until Double VIP. I am now regretting that decision after being told by a customer service rep that this set is completely out of stock and no more will be produced.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^You and me both!! I just called CS myself and after a long hold for her to speak with the supervisor, turns out the rover is indeed gone, finito, eol. I really didn't expect this to happen. But just paid the piper at $60 shipped so I don't have to kick myself in the arse.
    Do these people really know? It was sold out before and there were similar rumors. I foresee this being the Architectural Studio all over again. It will be sold out for a couple of months and prices will skyrocket. Then a new batch will roll out this summer. It's a popular set no doubt and I find it hard to believe that Lego will just kill it unless they have some sort of contractual reason to do so.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,834
    edited March 2014
    ^ ...and with such conviction. Money where your mouth is; if you're wrong, you donate a set to @fairybricks for the next US drop. ;o)

I don't mind helping out the odd one or two by sending them over since they're still available in the UK. Not sure how much resellers are demanding but might still be more practical to buy domestic than to import for the time being.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited March 2014
    ^ I hope you're not implying that anyone who tosses out a theory or opinion should then make a wager to demonstrate their conviction.
    edited March 2014
    ^ Of course not, that would be silly. Brickset would become nothing more than a bookies if that were the case.

I did however read the comments above as a statement rather than a theory or opinion.
    Go ahead and blow your money if you really think it's gone for good. I wish I would have bought a few just for reselling as I foresee this hitting $100 within a week. But don't complain when it's widely available this Fall.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited March 2014
    @mathew there was a corporate statement sent out they said. Considering where the Hayabusa price is at now even though it was readily available at retail stores (which Curiosity was not for the most part) for an extended period of time, I'm not willing to take the wager that the rover will come back. 2xRRP now is not as bad as 4xRRP in a few months.
    http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Studio-21050

I sold one a week before it came back in stock for $300. It's still in stock. Granted, if you really want the set and are concerned then it's safer to bet now than later. Yet, I don't trust a customer support person or their supervisor saying that it's gone for good. For all you know they were saying the same thing last month.
    ^ You might well be right, back next month. But number one rule for a collector who must secure his 'must haves' is 'don't take chances'. As @BrickDancer said, Hayabusa is the perfect example.
    Brick_Obsession
    The difference is that the Hayabusa was out for 1.5 years. The Mars Rover has been out for less than six months. Unless there were contractual reasons I see no reason why Lego would discontinue a popular set so soon. I mean it's not numbered or was advertised as being a "Limited Edition".
    edited March 2014
    ^ And nor was Post Office but against the norm it retired a season early too. Who'd have thought? They actually removed remaining stock from shelves. Why? No idea!

Point is, TLG schedules are beginning to become less reliable and more unpredictable. Popularity means nothing these days. Can't explain why SSD is still on the shelves.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,173
    I am glad I ordered one last Friday when I first heard it was back in stock. It just arrived yesterday.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    For what it's worth our largest franchise chain Toy store "Toyworld" is supposedly getting the Mars Rover (as well as the BTTF Delorean) in May .

So if it has gone from the US it may still be around for some time in the rest of the world. Obviously if it has gone then they may only get the one shipment, so may not last long.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,028
    I find it hard to believe that the Mars Rover will not be available in the near future. Just like Minecraft, the Rover will make it's return in a shopping cart near you.
    FollowsCloselylego007