Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Greeting from Abilene Texas

Just wanted to say hello. Not new to Lego, but haven't done anything with them for about 20 years. My 4 year daughter recently wanted the Friends Series and the well that was it. I'm in the process of selling most of my other hobbies to fund this one. Not really sure what series I will concentrate on. I like the Star Wars, Chima, and Hobit/LOTR, technic. I also want to build my own city(space is very limited for now). I'd also like to build my own space community/city. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the community here. I've read so much already my head is spinning.

Not sure of my purchase process yet. If I will purchase sets or lots from eBay. I like the fill a cup idea, but the closest lego store to me is 2.5 hours, and they don't do those. But they do the red dixie cup sized cup for $8, and I'm near there now, so I might go pick up a cup or 2 before I go home, or just put that towards a big lot on ebay or something. Ok enough rambling.

Comments

• mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Howdy from Houston...
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Welcome to the addiction...

Er... hobby! Yea, that's it!

Most of us have been there, for me, it was my son at 5 years old, I found the Yellow Cargo Train in the LEGO store and since he was just growing out of Thomas trains, I thought, "wow, that's pretty cool, I'll get that".

Oh boy, who knew what that would do to me! :)
  • CntryislandboyCntryislandboy Member Posts: 28
    Thanks guys. I'm very excited to be doing Lego again. My wife has been telling me for a long time I need to find a hobby and quick, because my currently hobbies are a lot more expensive so they are more or less hobbies that used to be or could be, basically no purchases just wish lists. While Lego is a bit pricey it's a lot cheaper and I really can do a little here and little there.

I wasn't going to say anything but what they hek. I think my first main project is going to be the Millennium Facon 10179, yes I know it's a big first project, and over 5,000 pieces. But I think it will be a nice long challenge. I'll still work on my city and space city/colony but I want something big, and I always say, go big or go home. I figure it will take me ALONG time, probably more than a year due to budget, but I've got nothing but time. Not to mention as I sell off my old hobbies(sports cards,comics,die cast, hot wheels), I'll be able to fund this project.

Thanks again guys. Oh yeah since both of ya'll are from Texas, do they ever have any sort of Texas lego show/convention?
    There are groups called LUGs (LEGO User Groups). There is a good one here in the Dallas area.

As for 10179, consider for a minute that it will be:

a: expensive
    b: likely to be reissued in the next few years

Even bricklinking it will be very time consuming and now quite expensive, as everyone else has done this and sucked up all the rare (and now semi-rare) parts needed to finish it.

If you go for it, more power to you, but it is now likely to cost you north of $1,500 to do it properly and $1,000 with a lot of substitutions.

When they issue a new one in 3 years for $600 that is even better, you might kick yourself. :) Or not, I'm sure it will be a heck of a challenge.
    I figured it'd be expensive. I'm also in no hurry to get it done and not 100% sure I'll do it, it was just a thought more or less. It would defiantly be a nice goal that is for sure. I download the instructions so who knows we will see.

I'll defiantly look into the Dallas group. I'm actually in Grapevine tonight, and went to the Lego store at the Grapevine mall. Only bought a green base board. Probably going back tomorrow before heading home to get a bunch of yellow pieces, going to try and put together a John Deere something or other maybe. Why I have no idea, it was just a random thought.
    Another quick question and maybe I missed it. But I clicked on the My Sets tab at the top, and it's asking me to login. So I use the same login as I did to type this thread. Is that a different section I need to sign up for. I ask because it said it doesn't recognize the login ID and Password.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Welcome, and yes it is necessary to register for both Brickset and Brickset Forums. Lego is a great hobby for any age.
    The Grapevine Mills store is not really a LEGO store, it is run by the LEGOLand Discovery Center out there and they don't carry everything. The store is run by Merlin Entertainment and is not owned by TLG in any way.

That doesn't make it bad, just keep in mind that it isn't a true LEGO store.

Come up to Frisco, to the LEGO Store in Stonebriar mall. It will be a 20 minute drive, but if you have the time, it is a very nice store and they generally do carry everything LEGO makes, other than some very odd items like education lines.

Skip the LEGO store down in Dallas at NorthPark mall, it is half the size of the Frisco store and carries far fewer sets.
    Thanks again LegoFanTexas, You've been a great help. Just convinced my wife to head that way instead of going back to Grapevine.

AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz, thanks, I actually figured that out shortly before going to bed last night. Got a felling that feature could get me in trouble. LOL. My shopping list just got a whole lot longer.
    Tips for your shopping list...

Focus for now on things retiring this year. Fire Brigade for example, if you want it, now is the time.

I came back into LEGO Dec 2010 and just missed a bunch of good stuff and didn't understand the retirement system then. Taj Mahal, Grand Carousal, Green Grocer, etc were all "just missed".
    Thanks, I'll look into that. I noticed the Lego website had tags on some sets saying "Retiring Soon" or something to that effect. By the way, thanks for the advice on the Frisce store, I went over there today. Really nice store. Got a couple cups and some Friends set for my daughter. They also had the new Disney Princess sets, but couldn't get any due to my daughter being with me, or it would have looked nice under the tree.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263

AFFOL_Shellz_Bellz, thanks, I actually figured that out shortly before going to bed last night. Got a felling that feature could get me in trouble. LOL. My shopping list just got a whole lot longer.

My wish list never stays short for very long and we've been collecting since spring of '09. We have nearly 700 sets, specializing in City, Architecture, Landmark sets, Modulars, Technic as well as a bunch of Creator and Holiday theme items. This is our pride and joy;
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    I'm not a member of any clubs, but there seems to be three or four big Lego shows or events a year around here. San Antonio and Dallas are known to host large conventions too.

Oh yeah since both of ya'll are from Texas, do they ever have any sort of Texas lego show/convention?

meseatle, thanks for the heads up, I'll have to keep a look for up coming events. I think it be really neat to attend one.
  • TXLegoguyTXLegoguy USMember Posts: 125
    Hi Cntryislandboy, I also live in Tx just a couple hours from Abliene and welcome.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 989
    Welcome @Cntryislandboy from another Texan.
    Thanks guys, appreciate it.