Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

US - Target 15% Off Creator - Use Cartwheel App for Offer

In the Target Cartwheel app, there is a 15% off offer for all Creator sets. A couple caveats with Cartwheel:

-Limit of 4 items per offer, and one offer per transaction
-Limit of 6 offer redemptions per customer per day

Discount valid through 12/14/13.

Not the best deal, but it helps if you're looking for anything Creator-related.

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,838
    Any chance Creator Expert works too?
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 359
    edited December 2013
    ^In store only, so if you can find one in your local Target it might.
    Also, they aren't supposed to price match and use Cartwheel. So you are basically doing a straight 15% discount off RRP for most sets.
    I hope someone else's Target has a better selection than mine, I couldn't find anything to use it on when I was in the store!
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    @Ronyar - there's nothing in the Cartwheel terms that says you can't price match and use Cartwheel. Those terms just say: 1 manufacturer, 1 Target, and 1 Cartwheel offer per item.

Cartwheel is purely category driven, so it doesn't always work *perfectly.* That being said, if you find a Creator Expert in-store, you'd have a very good chance of getting it for 15% off. If it doesn't automatically work, just bring your receipt to Customer Service and show them the Cartwheel offer and they should honor it. (I've had that happen with various Cartwheel offers in the past couple months. They've never questioned it.)
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 359
    Here is what it says on the Target Price Matching site:
    Target and Cartwheel coupons: Target and Cartwheel coupons will be applied before the price match is made. If the competitor price is still lower than the price after the Target and Cartwheel coupon has been deducted, the ad match can be adjusted to match the competitor's price.
    • Combining both Target, Cartwheel and manufacturer coupons: the Target and Cartwheel coupon will be applied before the price match is made. If the competitor price is still lower than the price after the Target and Cartwheel coupon has been deducted, the ad match can be adjusted to match the competitor's price. Once the price match is made the manufacturer coupon will be applied.

Now, there is nothing to say that you can't get the price match done first, and then say "oh, by the way, can you scan my Cartwheel too" and see if they will do it. But they aren't supposed to. :)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ No, they aren't, but they are paid $9/hr, so generally they don't care. :)
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    If the machine allows it, few question it.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    ...and the machine will allow it :P
    ^ Why would they? If the machine allows it, then it "must" be fine, and it isn't their money... frankly, I'll bet most of them don't care about Target's money, given what they are paid.

There is coming a day when they will all be replaced. I saw a demo of a store where, as a test, every single item was RFID tagged and you simply placed everything you wanted in your cart, pushed the cart through a scanner, it rang everything up and charged it to the wallet on your phone.

The day is clearly coming when you can just walk into a store, pickup something on the shelf, then walk out, pausing only at the exit to see the green light that says you're clear and checked out, they'll just e-mail you the receipt.

There is no future in being a $9/hr clerk in a store. They'll continue to have managers for the hard cases and perhaps for returns, but the bulk of the employees will go away.

That is why I'm so shocked (or maybe I shouldn't be) that fast food workers are demanding $15/hr. For that level of pay, they can be replaced by machines and perhaps 1 slightly better paid human. The day of the automatic burger and fry making machine are fast approaching. They are demanding themselves right out of a job.
    BTHodgeman
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,300
    Can we stop with the retail/ fast food bashing? Not all of us are lucky enough to get paid $25 an hour for sitting on our butts.
    It is not meant to be bashing, no crime in an honest days work. Just pointing out the truth of the future.

The wise will take the time now to find something else to do before the future runs into them.

That, or we will have to go to another economic system when we no longer have anything for most people to do all day.
  • LootefiskLootefisk Member Posts: 67

The day is clearly coming when you can just walk into a store, pickup something on the shelf, then walk out, pausing only at the exit to see the green light that says you're clear and checked out, they'll just e-mail you the receipt.

There is no future in being a $9/hr clerk in a store. They'll continue to have managers for the hard cases and perhaps for returns, but the bulk of the employees will go away.

That is why I'm so shocked (or maybe I shouldn't be) that fast food workers are demanding $15/hr. For that level of pay, they can be replaced by machines and perhaps 1 slightly better paid human. The day of the automatic burger and fry making machine are fast approaching. They are demanding themselves right out of a job.

We are kind of entering flying car territory here. You're talking years and years before this happens. Amazon will have their drones approved by the FAA before then and thats not happening anytime in the near or distant future.

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    The fact of the matter is, these people do care, because it can be their job on the line if they screw up. It's not always about making sure the shareholders get their profits, but rather sometimes it's making sure that their family can eat.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,877
    While I agree it is somewhat "flying car" territory I can totally see this happening within many of our lifetimes. It will start out as an option for patrons that want to embrace the latest technology and it may stay there for a really long time. Most companies would probably be happy just reducing payroll tangibly. They don't need to fully replace all employees for it to be widely embraced and implemented. The technology will have to be close to perfect though for it to useful.
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    Ahh, yes. The RFID implanted produce should be a major hit in the coming years.
    Flying cars is a power source problem more than anything else, many people underestimate how much energy is required to lift 2,000 lbs off the ground and move it in the air at 100 mph. Actually, the forward speed is the easy part, it is the straight up part that turns out to be hard.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/money/business_news/jcpenney-to-get-rid-of-check-out-counters-and-clerks-use-self-check-out-machines-and-rfid-chips

JC Penny is testing this right now.

http://www.gizmag.com/hamburger-machine/25159/

As for hamburgers, there are already working machines, it is only a matter of time.
    pillpod said:

Ahh, yes. The RFID implanted produce should be a major hit in the coming years.

You've never bought a 5lb bag of potatoes or a 3lb bag of apples? Easy enough to put a RFID tag in there.
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    edited December 2013
    $15/hr is what minimum wage should be if minimum wage was keeping up with inflation.

Taco Bell tacos used to be 39¢ around 1990. Now they are $1.09 each.

McDonald's quarter pounder value meal used to be $2.99 late 1990s. Now they are over $5.99.

Lego "battle packs" used to be $3.75 late 1980s. Now they are $12.99.

The higher the minimum wage the better the economy will be for everyone because more people can buy instead of just get by.
    margot
    legomason said:

The higher the minimum wage the better the economy will be for everyone because more people can buy instead of just get by.

It would be, if everyone simply got a wage increase and nothing else changed.

But that isn't how it works. Wages go up for people earning $10/hr, then people who currently earn $15/hr have to get a pay increase, it pushes up everyone's pay. You don't simply compress all employees who were between $7.25 and $15 into one wage, a rising tide lifts all boats.

What happens then? As labor costs go up, so do prices.

Another funny thing happens... businesses suddenly start looking for ways to run their business without so many people. If payroll is doubled, then all of a sudden things that didn't make economic sense suddenly do.

Like automatic hamburger making machines. Like RFID tags in all products and self-checkout.

Amazon has warehouse workers complaining that the job is "too hard" and "doesn't pay enough". Yea, well Amazon bought KIVA systems, a robotics company to fix that problem. They'll need 20 to 40% fewer workers to fulfill the same number of orders once they get the warehouses all converted over.

Those same warehouse workers complaining will find themselves out of a job in a few years.

----------------------

So while a raise in the minimum wage to $15/hr indeed does help those who keep their jobs, it hurts those who lose their jobs outright.

Even worse, it doesn't help as much as you'd think. If labor is about 1/4 of the overall costs of the average company, then their prices have to go up by 25%. So that new shiny $15/hr doesn't buy as much as it would today, because now the Taco Bell taco is $1.49 instead of $1.09.

It STILL gets worse... At $1.49, Taco Bell won't sell as many tacos as they did at $1.09, so their overall sales will drop by some number, lets say just 10%. So now the taco has to be $1.64 to make up for that, or perhaps they need even fewer employees than before selling fewer tacos.
    Goldfreek

As for hamburgers, there are already working machines, it is only a matter of time.

Everything is always a matter of time. Then we get there like we did with video phones and...meh. The article in the link is over a year old and there doesn't seem to be much progress yet.

Even if we had a restaurant full of Lego Mindstorms making our food the robots tend to create just as many jobs as they take away.
    edited December 2013

a rising tide lifts all boats

Exactly. Everyone wins. Prices will actually go down because people have money to buy things and that means more competition. The only people that gets hurt by this is the CEO class. They will have to get buy on only having 5-7 homes and only 2-3 private jets. It will be rough on them. That's why they hate it so much.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,877
    There are plenty or arguments on both sides about how minimum wage will kill business and help business. The best argument I have heard recently would be for the government to overhaul the corporate tax code to give companies an incentive to pay higher minimum wages. Slash the corporate tax to next to nothing if corporations pay their lowest paid employee some arbitrary living wage ($10-$15 / hr or whatever) and also provide health benefits to those employees. Would be interesting to see how that would work. Of course something like that will never happen, but would definitely be a start.
  • adol7adol7 Member Posts: 150
    Interesting topic. So...we should be investing in Mindstorm sets!
    Lootefisk said:

Everything is always a matter of time. Then we get there like we did with video phones and...meh. The article in the link is over a year old and there doesn't seem to be much progress yet.

Yes, then it all shows up one day and we all wonder how we lived without it.

Or do you want to just give back this thing called the Internet? :)

Raise min wage to $15/hr and see how fast companies get interested in automated burger making machines. At $7.25/hr, it is much less interesting.
    Lootefisk said:

Even if we had a restaurant full of Lego Mindstorms making our food the robots tend to create just as many jobs as they take away.

You would think, but not quite...

Well worth 13 minutes of your time...

Business investment has recovered since 2008, profits are up, the economy is doing just fine, except it has been a largely jobless recovery.

Manufacturing has even returned, we recently had a net import of manufacturing jobs moving back home from overseas, but these are largely jobless improvements, robots are finally making serious inroads into even smaller companies.

Take a look at the $22,000 robot in that video, it can be trained by a factory worker on the floor to do simple tasks. It never eats, it never sleeps, it never calls in sick, and unlike the million dollar robots of 10-15 years ago, it costs less than the average new car.

Yes, someone has to build these robots, but you don't need nearly as many people to build them as they replace. Another problem... The former $9/hr worker at Target or McDonalds completely lacks the skills and education to get a job fixing or building these robots.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited December 2013
    $16.37 Minimum wage works pretty good here.

Interesting (but long) read on this very topic.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/08/david-simon-capitalism-marx-two-americas-wire
    legomason said:

a rising tide lifts all boats

Exactly. Everyone wins. Prices will actually go down because people have money to buy things and that means more competition. The only people that gets hurt by this is the CEO class. They will have to get buy on only having 5-7 homes and only 2-3 private jets. It will be rough on them. That's why they hate it so much.
    Except it never works that way...

My wife is from Australia (born and raised there), they already have a $16.88/hr minimum wage. Guess what? It is insanely expensive to live there, everything is 2 to 3 times as expensive as it is in the US.

A Ford Explorer in the US starts at $26K, in Australia a Ford Territory (which isn't exactly the same thing, but close) starts at $44K.

McDonalds in the US has a dollar menu, but the same burger that is $1 in the US is $1.95 in Australia.

I have looked into moving there and every time I do, I'm shocked at how much it costs to live there. The pay may be higher, but between higher costs for everything and higher taxes, I would have a lower standard of living.

It sounds so nice to say, "stick it to those evil CEOs", but the fact is, an unskilled job is an unskilled job no matter where you live. If anyone can do it, then it just becomes supply and demand that sets the wage.
    adol7 said:

Interesting topic. So...we should be investing in Mindstorm sets!

Yes! :)
    pharmjod said:

There are plenty or arguments on both sides about how minimum wage will kill business and help business. The best argument I have heard recently would be for the government to overhaul the corporate tax code to give companies an incentive to pay higher minimum wages. Slash the corporate tax to next to nothing if corporations pay their lowest paid employee some arbitrary living wage ($10-$15 / hr or whatever) and also provide health benefits to those employees. Would be interesting to see how that would work. Of course something like that will never happen, but would definitely be a start.

It doesn't matter how you get there, paying more for unskilled labor just raises the prices of everything, negating a lot of the higher pay and slowing the entire economy somewhat.

The real solution is to not have all those unskilled WORKERS in the first place, then no one will care when the unskilled JOBS go away.

That is the key thing, education. Machines, automation, and robotics will continue to cut into the unskilled job market every year, reducing it a bit more, every year.

The demand for a good plumber in 20 years will probably be higher than it is today, that is a skilled trade that will be very hard to automate (and probably the last sort of job that is).

Stocking shelves? Flipping burgers? Those jobs are doomed.

Just ask all those AT&T switchboard operators who answered the phone when you pressed 0. They are all long gone.
    Basta said:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/08/david-simon-capitalism-marx-two-americas-wire

Side note: I really wish we could have a civil conversation about this. The admins will probably come along and delete half of these posts and tell us to go somewhere else.

Problem: The political forums on the Internet are either far mad left or extreme fascist right. There is no reasonable conversation to be had there.

-----------

I read what you posted, I also read a few of the comments and this one stuck out to me:

"The tragic thing is that tens of millions of Americans are living squalid, povertous lives. With minimal access to healthcare or education. The tragic thing is that, in the land of the free, tens of millions are descending into third-world conditions."

-----------

I'm willing to admit that the solution isn't to tell people making $10/hr to just "go get an education", I ask only in return that they don't suggest the solution is, "tax the rich".

That is a call in radio show in Texas, the caller is 32 years old, has kids, and is completely on welfare, has been for years and plans to remain on it for the rest of her life. She doesn't work, receives thousands of dollars a month in government benefits.

People like her are why people like me are buying our congress critters to avoid having people like her take all our money with their votes.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on that video and that lady.

pharmjod said:

It doesn't matter how you get there, paying more for unskilled labor just raises the prices of everything, negating a lot of the higher pay and slowing the entire economy somewhat.

The real solution is to not have all those unskilled WORKERS in the first place, then no one will care when the unskilled JOBS go away.

That is the key thing, education. Machines, automation, and robotics will continue to cut into the unskilled job market every year, reducing it a bit more, every year.

The demand for a good plumber in 20 years will probably be higher than it is today, that is a skilled trade that will be very hard to automate (and probably the last sort of job that is).

Stocking shelves? Flipping burgers? Those jobs are doomed.

Just ask all those AT&T switchboard operators who answered the phone when you pressed 0. They are all long gone.
    I know many people in the business world that I would classify as "unskilled" yet make much more than minimum wage. Why the need to blame cost increases on minimum wage workers? Only 4.7% of all hourly workers made minimum wage or less in the United States clearly raising the wages of those 4.7% wouldn't cause the economic catastrophe that you claim.

Happiest (and Saddest) Countries

1. Denmark (7.693)

10. Australia (7.350)

17. United States (7.082)

http://www.livescience.com/39489-the-happiest-countries.html
    margot
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    ^ I guess your equating money to happiness ;D
    From my experience that couldn't be further from the truth.
    ^ Yep... I am watching my kids run around and play with each other right now...

Last night, my 8 year old helped us decorate the Christmas tree and put up lights...

Both are worth far more than money...

I totally agree, I have not found money to alter my happiness one bit. It makes me more comfortable, I have far more of it than I did 10 years ago, but it doesn't make me happier, it just buys me a nicer truck and a bigger TV.

But frankly, if I was of more humble means, a smaller TV would be just fine as well.
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    Re: Happiest (and Saddest) Countries

I don't know about the other figures but if we equate LEGO with happiness no wonder Denmark is number 1 :)
    FollowsCloselylegomasonkhmellymel
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356

Flying cars is a power source problem more than anything else, many people underestimate how much energy is required to lift 2,000 lbs off the ground and move it in the air at 100 mph. Actually, the forward speed is the easy part, it is the straight up part that turns out to be hard.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/money/business_news/jcpenney-to-get-rid-of-check-out-counters-and-clerks-use-self-check-out-machines-and-rfid-chips

JC Penny is testing this right now.

...Flying hamburgers?

...Flying hamburgers?

I don't care who you are, that there is funny... :)
    BTW, a small lightweight helicopter using a small 180hp engine lifting 2 people and a total take off weight of 1,750 lbs (less than a small car), burns about 12 gallons of fuel an hour. (and there is no cargo room at all)

Even if you could triple the efficiency due to mass manufacturing and larger R&D budgets, you are not going to find a huge uptake on people wanting a flying car that travels at 80 mph, carries 2 people, and burns 4 gallons of fuel per hour.

And that is assuming that you could triple fuel economy. It may only be a 180hp engine, but it actually runs at full power all the time, unlike the engine in your car, which may be a 300hp engine, but most of the time is using 10% of that. It only uses a lot of power when accelerating, and only then when flooring the gas pedal. Driving a small car down the road at 60 mph takes very little power, once you get going.

-----

Side note, the most popular helicopter today that carries 4 people, that you could reasonably own, is the Robinson R-44. It is better in that it flies at 120 mph and carries 4 people. It also costs $350,000 and burns 16 gallons per hour of fuel, and still has almost no storage space (just a little bit under the seats)

Then there is the rotor wash, you can't land next to a lot of things because the displaced air damages a lot of things. If you went to vertical ducted fans, you reduce the area and thus must increase thrust (doing more damage to a smaller spot).

Vertical turbine engines (jets) aren't a solution, they are too hot and would melt too many surfaces (and set a lot of fires).

Until we get batteries about 1,000 times more power for a given size/weight, or develop nuclear power sources that are compact and safe (think Mr. Fusion), and figure out how to go straight up without destroying everything around the car, flying cars will remain a dream.

Which is why we'll see robots in McDonalds LONG before we ever see a flying car that is useful.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited December 2013
    ^I don't know about others, but I would be concerned about safety in a flying car. In most car accidents, people live. I sort of doubt you'd have a good chance of living in many flying car crashes. I guess it could have a parachute mechanism similar to some current small aircraft, but I still think flying in a car would be a lot more dangerous than driving in one. And being under them doesn't seem like it'd be all that safe either...

So there's one more vote against the flying car, at least from me.

Gotta love this thread- 15% off at Target to flying cars in the span of one page!
    margotBumblepants
    In fairness to the future of flying cars, I suspect they will become possible only with computer control. Much like the future of self-driving cars, flying cars will need to all be computer controlled.

You're right, there is no way the average person is going to be flying around in a traffic jam in the sky.

But if all the cars are networked and you simply tell it where you want to go, it could be done. That is the easy part, gravity and energy are the hard parts.

Lifting 2,000 lbs straight up off the ground is more energy intensive than you might think. :)
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259

Basta said:

I read what you posted, I also read a few of the comments and this one stuck out to me:

"The tragic thing is that tens of millions of Americans are living squalid, povertous lives. With minimal access to healthcare or education. The tragic thing is that, in the land of the free, tens of millions are descending into third-world conditions."

-----------

I'm willing to admit that the solution isn't to tell people making $10/hr to just "go get an education", I ask only in return that they don't suggest the solution is, "tax the rich".

That is a call in radio show in Texas, the caller is 32 years old, has kids, and is completely on welfare, has been for years and plans to remain on it for the rest of her life. She doesn't work, receives thousands of dollars a month in government benefits.

People like her are why people like me are buying our congress critters to avoid having people like her take all our money with their votes.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on that video and that lady.
    Obviously it's sad that people have that kind of attitude to welfare and the lady needs a good kick up the back side, but you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

My understanding of the US is that "tens of millions of Americans are living squalid, povertous lives. With minimal access to healthcare or education" these were the people I'm more talking about (Lucy doesn't sound like one of these people).

My opinion is that if you improve the living conditions of the poorest and give them more to live for, society as a whole will be better off and you will reduce alot of issue around drug usage and crime, the country will be (financially) better off for it in the long run.

You just need to accept that there will always be people like Lucy who are lazy and take advantage and sure it's not fair, but you need to look at the bigger picture, the greater good. (Obviously reasonable action should be taken to try an minimise the behaviour of this type of person).

As easy as it may be, don't use this kind of person as an excuse to do nothing or to not support change. Most people are not like that.

Lastly, although her attitude stinks she is probably a prime candidate for only a minimum wage type of job if she went looking for one. So can you blame her for not wanting to get off welfare as it sound like she would be worse off.

Just maybe if the minimum wage was something people could live off, she may have more incentive to get a job.

LegoFanTexasmargot
    Basta said:

Obviously it's sad that people have that kind of attitude to welfare and the lady needs a good kick up the back side, but you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

You are correct, about both points...
    Basta said:

My opinion is that if you improve the living conditions of the poorest and give them more to live for, society as a whole will be better off and you will reduce alot of issue around drug usage and crime, the country will be (financially) better off for it in the long run.

I agree with you completely. The question I would ask, "is raising the minimum wage the best way to go about doing that?"

I would suggest that it isn't. It causes the employment market to change in many ways, many unintended.

What about the idea of a basic income? Denmark has one (read up on it if you are unfamiliar), and while the US is very different than Denmark, it is another option.
    Basta said:

You just need to accept that there will always be people like Lucy who are lazy and take advantage and sure it's not fair, but you need to look at the bigger picture, the greater good.

As easy as it may be, don't use this kind of person as an excuse to do nothing or to not support change. Most people are not like that.

Maybe, but there sure are a lot of them... 48 million Americans are on food stamps, 13 million are on welfare.

In fact, 39 states pay you more in welfare than an $8/hr job would earn you. You will generally make more money on welfare than by taking an $8/hr job, and you don't have to work.

More people are on welfare than work for minimum wage. Now, does this mean that raising it is the answer? Maybe, but is no assurance that you won't just create 5 million more unemployed people.
    Basta said:

Lastly, although her attitude stinks she is probably a prime candidate for only a minimum wage type of job if she went looking for one. So can you blame her for not wanting to get off welfare as it sound like she would be worse off.

You're right, working at McDonalds for $8/hr would net her nothing more than she gets now, I agree that is stupid given her choices.

She did admit that if her benefits were taken away, she'd have to go get one of those jobs.

I'd be much more willing to raise the min wage to maybe $12/hr if we could get rid of the lifetime benefits people like Lucy can get.

Unless we just decide to make it formal and give Lucy $2,000 a month and she just doesn't have to work. That is effectively what we're doing anyway.
    I find it kind of ironic that in with all this high tech conversation a youtube video gets posted of a radio broadcast. Shouldn't television and the internet have made radio obsolete by now?

I'm digging that rotary phone though.
    legomason
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288

Side note: I really wish we could have a civil conversation about this. The admins will probably come along and delete half of these posts and tell us to go somewhere else.

So, with your expectation that the above will happen, you derail the thread anyway? Regarding your link, I could give plenty of examples of how the other end of the spectrum makes a far less honest living doing far more harm. But I don't because we have established this isn't the place.

LootefiskLegogeekmathewLegoFanTexas
    I am hoping that at some point, it occurs to the powers that be here that if civil people won't discuss it, then we leave the discussion to the extremes on the right and left and our society is simply sold off to special interests and the mainstream in the middle gets ignored.

If you go elsewhere to political forums, you just get ranting and yelling. Here you're more likely to find rational, civil people who are willing to listen and be polite. I know I am.

Civil discussion starts from existing relationships, it doesn't happen randomly. I'm simply trying to move the needle to the middle and make the future better for my children.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited December 2013