Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How to clean pirate ship sails- advice sought

Hi all
I have recently bought a job lot of vIntage pirate ships including black seas baracuda but the sails are really stained (dark brown 'tea lIke' staIns and generally dirty all over. Does anyone have any advice about cleaning them?

thanks for reading

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    I'm not sure about the tea-like stains but for cleaning dirt off of mine and for de-wrinkling them I just ran them under tap water then laid them out smoothly between two towels. Once they were almost dry but still damp I ran an iron over them on low then left them laying out off the towel to dry the rest of the way.
  • Canuck26Canuck26 Member Posts: 55
    I have not tried this but it's a thought - several detergent companies (Tide for sure) make cleaning sticks. I have used them before to get stains out of clothes that have been spilled on but can't be laundered right away. They work really well and may do the trick for the sails. Also, when ironing them, it's a real good idea to put a light towel over them rather than ironing them directly. I do this all the time with capes and sails. If the iron is too hot it won't damage the cloth.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I've cleaned a huge amount of sails in my day lol and I've found they never retain their regidity after a wash but since your are extremely dirty you should wash them. First are you sure they are stains and not sun damage?

I would let them run under tap water and lightly scrub with a soft tooth brush and some laundry detergent to see if it comes off. If it does then rinse and let is soak in a flat dish filled with water. Use warm or cold water. After pat it dry and either hang dry it or lay it flat with paper towel on both sides between something heavy. Then you can lay a cotton shirt or something over it and iron with low heat. You can also apply a little bit of starch to get some stiffness back but too much and your sail will start flaking white flakes of starch so don't apply too much.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,350
    Canuck26 said:

I have not tried this but it's a thought - several detergent companies (Tide for sure) make cleaning sticks. I have used them before to get stains out of clothes that have been spilled on but can't be laundered right away. They work really well and may do the trick for the sails. Also, when ironing them, it's a real good idea to put a light towel over them rather than ironing them directly. I do this all the time with capes and sails. If the iron is too hot it won't damage the cloth.

My brother has done the stain sticks. Ithink it was OK for the white bits. not sure if it would make the colored bits run or wear off though.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/199875#Comment_199875

Check around there for some results and comments. I've got to restore the sails for Crossbone Cipper before Xmas, thanks for reminding me!
    Joseph
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,062
    I would try baking soda and white vinegar to lightning react any stain and dirt. Then rinse under lukewarm water and then pat dry with one paper towel. Then if an ironing is needed do as explained above with the cloth over it otherwise leave to air dry. I always liked the look of sails with "wind" in them. If you do it this way and just set them on a table to air dry you will quickly see that the small wrinkles and indentations me for a very realistic look.