Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Disney acquires Indiana Jones movie rights

2»

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas Member Posts: 8,404
    ^ Are you kidding? Marion was the best part! I loved that, they were like an old married couple. :)

Took them long enough to get married...
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    It might have worked if they actually had a relationship past the first film. It was painful watching them bicker with each other. Probably due to the poor script and the fact that Karen Allen forgot how to act over the past 25 years.
  • graphitegraphite Member Posts: 3,275
    ^ They had a relationship *before* the first film, so the first film was a revisit to them being a couple. I enjoyed that part of the film because it gave it some factor of realism to balance out the alien part. Not that I wouldn't believe something like that could happen but it was a little off the wall for an Indy film.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Member Posts: 10,789
    And they did not do the Tank from Last Crusade as a set either which was a bit disappointing , no castle rescue.. there are a few sets that would be new that they could do. I would like to the see the Indy sets return with a few new ones.
  • trickydicky0880trickydicky0880 Member Posts: 134
    The Indiana Jones theme has been the best LEGO theme in my opinion. The Lost Tomb and Venice Canal Chase have been some of the best sets that LEGO has made and the Temple Escape was epic.

Like @y2josh has said, I would've liked to have seen a Temple of the Sun set and the Mark VII in the Last Crusade.

As far as a fifth movie coming out, I think it's very likely. Disney is all about making money and that would be the obvious reason of why Disney has acquired the rights. A reboot is the best and I think Chris Pine would be the best choice. He's got the look and easily the personality. Yeah, he's got Star Trek but Harrison Ford was working on Return of the Jedi in between Raiders and the Temple of Doom.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,543
    edited December 2013
    My two cents on the marion thing...

I liked the idea of marion coming back into Indy's life. They met via his work with her father (pre Raiders), so the various one-person removed mutual links they shared made sense, and made a very believable way of introducing the characters to the story. Life is very much like that. I liked it. It works and is believable.

BUT as @mathew said, Karen Allen's acting was appalling, she had absolutely no sense of situation, but just beams a great big massive spaced-out grin throughout the whole film, like she was permanently medicated or something.
    She basically occupies the best seat in the house, in the sense that you can see she is literally watching the movie being filmed around her, making no effort/unable to restrain her glee at being on set, and destroying the illusion that everyone else is trying to create.

Yes, ignoring murderous soviet agents while having a domestic is a bit funny ONCE, but spending the entire film grinning inanely at every life-threatening and world changing event just screams 'I can't believe i'm in a movie, yippeeeeee!'.

Cringe worthy stuff.

In my own little world (in order for her 'performance' to make more sense), I just tell myself that her character has had a life which has left her a bit 'frazzled'.
    :oP
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    ^ LOL...you literally just made the post I was thinking of making. Poor Karen. It's as if she won a competition to star in the film, and blundered around the soundstage like a deer in headlights.

After a shot or two of course :)
    You guys are all hating on Karen, but I loved her in the last movie, I thought she was better than you all give her credit for...

Consider... she's now a single mom, she has gotten over being a drunk, she was chased by Nazis, and she survived the Ark.

Those Russians are just pretenders by comparison, so no wonder she didn't take them seriously, she knew they weren't really all that.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel Member Posts: 1,313
    legomatt said:

I just tell myself that her character has had a life which has left her a bit 'frazzled'.

I actually thought this to myself while I was watching Indy 4! LOL
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I regret not picking up the Temple of Doom when there was a stack of them clearanced at walmart a few years ago. They weren't doing very well on the resale side of things at that time. Now I could make a killing! I do have a lot of the minifigs and would love to see more come out.
    ^ The Temple of Doom wasn't a great set IMO. But how else could they have done that scene in Lego form? Sacrificial lava pit with iron maiden would have been cool.

Consider... she's now a single mom, she has gotten over being a drunk, she was chased by Nazis, and she survived the Ark.

Ah, that was the problem. She needed a shot or two of whiskey.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Member Posts: 995
    I love the Temple of Doom, it's one of my favourite sets. Not at all movie accurate to have the track run beneath the sacrificial area but it's a good representation of the key scenes.

Don't get me wrong @LegoFanTexas The marion she played in Raiders was a great performance, and stands out against the general portrayal of 'heroines' we get these days. In Raiders there's a complex range of emotions and backstory she has to get through in limited screen time, and she does it brilliantly. There's genuine hurt in the voice, anger, fear, etc. A once vulnerable innocent to spirited survivor thrown into a whirlwind struggle for her life. Every second of screen time in Raiders is a gem and totally convincing. She's great in it.

She just doesn't appear to get past the joy of being 'back on set with the gang' in Crystal Skull (like she needed a month or two to acclimatise) in order to re-inhabit the role with a little more conviction or depth than the sitcom guest spot she comes across as (that or spaced out).

Don't mean to be hating. It's just a bit disappointing. She throws me out of the film instead of pulling me further in, as hers is the character to offer a glimpse of the undocumented off-screen events that add a little reality to the extraordinary adventures.

So I'd love to have seen her play the part with a bit more conviction. Angry, protective, guarded, etc as events unfold. That range of emotions that would swirl back in such a situation, the puzzlement and awe at soviet/alien/psychic incidents, before getting to grips with things in her survivor spirit and pulling through.
    Instead she just comes across as a bit trippy throughout (making John Hurt's character look completely sane in comparison), and her character shows no sign of development start to finish.

But...

Precisely. Why I consider:
    legomatt said:

I just have to tell myself that her character has had a life which has left her a bit 'frazzled'.

• legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    If they don't make any new films soon, I think they could make a game though. If done right a AAA Indiana Jones game would blow Uncharted out of the water and we might even get a few sets from LEGO like how SW got TOR and FU sets.

On a side note, how many of you would support a Uncharted project on CUUSOO? It is pretty much a Indy rip off, but could make a nice set ancient ruins, treasure hunting set. Also I think LEGO would pass it because it fits in better with their brand than Portal.
  • icey117icey117 Member Posts: 510
    edited December 2013
    Reading this tread, made me flip through the theme sets that I own none of ... and they really have a nice flavor to them. They also cover a historic era that we really don't have in any other theme. Of cause because it assosiates with WW2 - So its quite a unique, since it is the only theme that touches 1930-1950 arcitecture and vehicles.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,148
    If you're going down the game route, why prat around with Uncharted, why not go back to the defacto classic franchise for that type of game - Tomb Raider? Uncharted games are great, but to me if you're going to take a theme and legofy it then it seems to make sense to take the most iconic franchise of that theme - so in this case it seems to make sense in choosing Indy for films, and Tomb Raider for games.

@legomatt I actually just assumed the frazzled thing was the whole intention, not an accident born of bad acting!
    ^ I just wish the second Tomb Raider movie had been better, that would have been a nice franchise for Angelina...

The first was great, the second, blah... fun to watch her run around, but otherwise, blah...

Maybe they need to reboot Tomb Raider with a new actress and try and start a franchise. They could end up doing crossover Indy/Laura movies as well. :)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor Member Posts: 3,937
    edited December 2013
    If you follow canon, Indiana Jones (Jul 1899) was 68 years old when Lara Croft was born (Feb 1958), so unless she's pushing him in a wheelchair or changing a colostomy bag, I don't see many crossover possibilities.

Though I suppose they could always time travel with the Borg.
    pharmjod
    I think we'll see a reboot set during the same timeline. The name "Indiana Jones" implies an old fashioned adventure. But there's always the chance they could try something fresh and set in modern times. I just really hope it's not something along the lines as "The Adventures of Mutt Williams".
    TheLoneTensor

If you follow canon, Indiana Jones (Jul 1899) was 68 years old when Lara Croft was born (Feb 1958), so unless she's pushing him in a wheelchair or changing a colostomy bag, I don't see many crossover possibilities.

Though I suppose they could always time travel with the Borg.

Both series can be rebooted, thus the time frame of both can be adjusted.

If you did them both in tandem with plans to make 3 movies each, plus a cross over 7th movie, it would be interesting.

That is what I'd look at doing, if I were in charge. But alas, I'm not. :)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor Member Posts: 3,937
    edited December 2013
    Rebooting can really cause issues. People love their canon, especially with very established universes like Indiana Jones. Shaking up the timeline, taking him away from Nazi's for example, would just be a mistake (re: Crystal Skull). I'm not saying it couldn't work, because when Hollywood takes risks it can be fantastic, but more often than not, it's disasterous.

I'm with @Mathew though, as long as Mutt's not a major part of the equation, I'll be happy.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    I missed this thread during my sabbatical. As far as I see it, there were only 3 Indiana Jones movies. I do not even recognize Skull as belonging to Spielberg. It is by far, one of the worst movies I have ever seen and most know me as a very serious cinephile. For me, Skull will forever sit next to Virtuosity, Ghosts from Mars, Jaws IV and Escape from LA as the worst movies ever.
    pharmjodtwoninerken
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    ^Worse than Attack of the Clones and X3? Cause I feel that would be impossible.
    Omg, I forgot X3 and Wolverine Origins. I actually enjoyed all the Star Wars films.
    I liked Skull better than Temple of Doom, so maybe I'm just weird. :)
    X3 wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great... Escape from LA was indeed terrible, but frankly a lot of what he has done is terrible. It is camp, you have to be ok with camp. And that is camp times 10! :)
    ^ Breakdown, Big Trouble in Little China, Mean Season, Backdraft, Stargate, The Thing, Tombstone, Executive Decision, Escape From New York, Dark Blue, Miracle, Dreamer

:o)
    edited January 2014

I liked Skull better than Temple of Doom, so maybe I'm just weird. :)

cough...cough...weird and totally wrong...cough :o)

pharmjod
    I'm not one to defend Crystal Skull, but to say it's one of the worst movies ever is extremely far fetched. It's not a very good movie, but aside from Karen Allen's shoddy performance and Harrison Ford being a little too old the movie was entertaining in a B-movie kind of way.
    Karen Allen made the movie, what are you talking about? Yes, yes, she had that "oh boy I'm in a movie" look, but frankly, I loved her in Skull.

^ Breakdown, Big Trouble in Little China, Mean Season, Backdraft, Stargate, The Thing, Tombstone, Executive Decision, Escape From New York, Dark Blue, Miracle, Dreamer

:o)

Some of those were good... Stargate was ok, but that really was pretty messed up. Executive Decision was one of his better, but it was a b movie all the way.

Frankly, his whole career has been one slightly off movie after another. After all, he did make Soldier, which insanely enough is one of my favorites.

Yea, I'm a bit different. :)

Karen Allen made the movie, what are you talking about? Yes, yes, she had that "oh boy I'm in a movie" look, but frankly, I loved her in Skull.

Yes, we had this discussion earlier. I think the general consensous is that she looked and acted strange through out the film. Almost like she was drugged. I found her scenes difficult to watch. Compare her performance in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Night and day. She was fully believable in that film and enjoyable to watch. Of course Raiders was a much better film and had better material for her to work with.
    edited January 2014
    It should probably be noted that Raiders is my favorite film of all time (my non-Australian wife's as well) so Skull was always going to be a tough thumbs up. But they lost me in the credits with the caddy shack groundhog soon followed up by emasculating Indy in the trunk and then in the fridge and then in the soundstage quicksand and then with the snake as a rope and then with the swinging monkeys and then with bad cgi ants and then with the Tarzan yell and then with terrible acting from shia and cate. Note that I had no problems with the alien aspects and would love to read the original darabont script.

The man who brought us Munich and Jurassic and Jaws and Schindler and Color Purple and Minority Report and War of the worlds and ET and many others should be (and probably is) ashamed.
    edited January 2014

Post contains:
    ***Crystal Skull SPOILER***

The bit that always gets on my nerves in a 'missed opportunity' sense is the emptying of cartridges, grenades, ammunition warehouse scene... I was hoping it was (besides finding the alien sarcophagus thing) also part of a cunning plan to momentarily disarm the soldiers, so that Indy could make his escape at the most opportune moment; with the soldiers all going for their guns only to hear click click click 'Krapski!', and scrabbling to reload, while indy steals a believable (and clever) head start.

It's such a minor detail, but would've instantly given me that Indy-had-a-plan smirk, as he steals the drop on them, and also offered a little humour in the panicy 'whoops' reactions of the soldiers and roll-eyes facepalming by Cate.

I'd like to have seen that.

X3 wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great... Escape from LA was indeed terrible, but frankly a lot of what he has done is terrible. It is camp, you have to be ok with camp. And that is camp times 10! :)

I actually think X3 is the second worst movie ever made... right behind Attack of the Clones. Both took iconic and beloved characters and made them into punchlines and/or generic henchmen. That's through my 'fan lens,' though.

From a more neutral standpoint, both are poorly written, feature one or more actors completely phoning it in (or Halle Berry, who's just terrible to begin with) and use some of the worst special effects/CG in the history of cinema.
    ^ Can I give a half like? :o)
    edited January 2014
    Is it surprising that Brett Ratner hasn't worked much since? Even Renny Harlin could have done better with X3. It was, though, following the best superhero movie ever. ;o)
  • dougtsdougts Member Posts: 4,110
    y2josh said:

I actually think X3 is the second worst movie ever made... right behind Attack of the Clones. Both took iconic and beloved characters and made them into punchlines and/or generic henchmen. That's through my 'fan lens,' though.

I can only assume you are referring to Yoda

^ I think he was referring to Chrome Han... :o)
  • BulkheadXBulkheadX Member Posts: 74

I missed this thread during my sabbatical. As far as I see it, there were only 3 Indiana Jones movies. I do not even recognize Skull as belonging to Spielberg. It is by far, one of the worst movies I have ever seen and most know me as a very serious cinephile. For me, Skull will forever sit next to Virtuosity, Ghosts from Mars, Jaws IV and Escape from LA as the worst movies ever.

whaaaat?? Virtuosity is an entertaining movie! I would say 'great' but I am not sure it is that... but I remember liking that movie when it came out. 'were you NOT entertained?' lol

of course, I am a bit of a cinephile. there are not many movies I don't like... now if we are talking Showgirls... THAT's another matter lol

If you want to discuss bad movies...

Try Johnny Mnemonic

Just for fun, I introduced that to my wife a few months ago. She wanted to know how to get 2 hours of her life back. :)

Of course, there is no accounting for taste, she didn't like Galaxy Quest either, and I love that movie. :)
    ^ You can't shoot me.
    Not in the head. :o)

Galaxy Quest, on the other hand, could creep into my top 30 all time favorites.

Gwen DeMarco: [shouts] Look! I have one job on this lousy ship, it's *stupid*, but I'm gonna do it! Okay?

Guy Fleegman: Yeah, but that's when I thought I was the crewman that stays on the ship, and something is up there, and it kills me. But now I'm thinking I'm the guy who gets killed by some monster five minutes after we land on the planet.

Gwen DeMarco: Let's get out of here before one of those things kills Guy.
    khmellymelLegoFanTexas
    Great movie... sad that a sequel would probably just kill it, but it would either be funny as heck or our worst nightmare! :)

Guy Fleegman: Did you guys ever WATCH the show?

Jason Nesmith: Never give up. Never surrender.

Gwen DeMarco: Fred, you had a part people loved. I mean, my TV Guide interview was six paragraphs about my BOOBS and how they fit into my suit. No one bothered to ask me what I do on the show.
    Fred Kwan: You were... the umm, wait a minute, I'll think of it...
    Gwen DeMarco: I repeated the computer, Fred.

[Reading a tactical display]
    Guy Fleegman: Hey guys, there's a red-thingy moving toward the green-thingy.
    Jason Nesmith: What?
    Guy Fleegman: Red-thingy moving toward the green-thingy. I think we're the green-thingy.

[Gwen and Jason encounter the chompers]
    Gwen DeMarco: What is this thing? I mean, it serves no useful purpose for there to be a bunch of chompy, crushy things in the middle of a hallway. No, I mean we shouldn't have to do this, it makes no logical sense, why is it here?
    Jason Nesmith: 'Cause it's on the television show.
    Gwen DeMarco: Well forget it! I'm not doing it! This episode was badly written!
    Yellowcastlekhmellymel

Is it surprising that Brett Ratner hasn't worked much since? Even Renny Harlin could have done better with X3. It was, though, following the best superhero movie ever. ;o)

I can't tell if you're mocking my love of X2 or if you actually feel like X2 was the best superhero movie ever...

By the by, and especially to @samiam391, a Wolverine minifig with chrome claws is a "chrome" figure I could completely support.
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    edited January 2014
    Aaaarghh. Johnny Mnemonic, the forgotten classic. You know it only bombed at the box office because of it's unpronouncable title....

Sales clerk: How can I help you, sir?
    LFT: 2 tickets for Johnny Memoni....ugh...Johnny m-uh-moh- ni....(stammering) mmm-nuh-mick-a
    Sales clerk: Sir, there's a line...
    LFT: No, WAIT...2 tickets for johnny mah-minic...manimic...Muh-na-mana...
    Sales clerk; Do Doo do doo do
    LFT: (exasperated) NO PLEASE I mean 2 for Johnny manomic....no, 2 for johnny maneamic, AAaaarrgh johnny manimic....(rips hair out)
    BulkheadX: (interjecting) Nevermind. We'll get 2 for Showgirls, please.

dougtsLegoFanTexasBuzzsawYellowcastle

BulkheadX: (interjecting) Nevermind. We'll get 2 for Showgirls, please.

That's funny. I actually paid to see these two movies in the theaters back in the day.
  • VenunderVenunder Member Posts: 2,659
    It would make sense for Indy's son to take the main role and for Harrison Ford to appear as the joint/guest star, in a role similar to the one played by Sean Connery.