Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Best way to create a snowy landscape?

IndigIndig Member Posts: 1
edited January 2014 in Building and Techniques
Not sure if this is the right section for this but I am looking for ways to create a large snowy landscape for my winter village. So far the only solution I have found is to buy 16x16 white plates from lego.com. I would love any suggestions if anyone can think of a better way to accomplish this keeping in mind I have all of the winter village sets to place.

Comments

• kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    Hi @Indig I'm in the process of that right now. I'd take a look at the MILS system in Hispabrick. I am currently using that as my method. I've noticed most of the year my local LEGO store has white plates in the pick a brick.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    We actually added some "mountain top" (6083) parts to create a mountain. Then your skiers have a place to ski.
    Coolsplash
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    If you aren't a purist, using a fiberfill batting sheet is an option. They are often available at Lowe's, Home Depot, and any store carrying a decent selection of Christmas ornaments. It's available year round at the craft and fabric stores and can be found in the quilting department.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,350
    edited December 2013
    Do not forget a smattering of trans yellow 1x1s in the snow areas, you know, for realism :-p

I would say it depends on if you want depth and drifts to your snow areas.. Otherwise I would guess large 6x8 White plates with a few 1x1, 2, 3, etc to create contours. You may find them for a decent price from those on BL who sell bulk parts, or via PaB online, rep parts site, or PaB at a LEGO B&M store. In any case it likely like not be cheap if done with LEGO
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,950
    I just went to Target and bought some "snow". They have various options for relatively cheap. I also bought the cheap mine site deal last year specifically for the "mountain pieces" (sorry, I am not recalling the name of that piece) to help make a snowy mountain. I used a number of different shaped white pieces and clear pieces to cover my mountain with snow. I would think if you go with large white flats, you are still going to need some small white and clear pieces to give the effect of a bit of drifting to up the realism. Pine trees help too.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    ^ burp.

Some of the winter sports sets are quite good, i bought a couple of #3538 just to get the baseplates - and of course it does give you the option of adding a ski slope to your winter layout.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,950
    Thanks. I could not recall the name of that piece.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 658
    Sometimes the LEGO store Pickabrick wall has 4x6 white plate. A box costs $70 I believe and will cover a large area. Maybe 6x6 baseplates.
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 245
    I'm just about finished with my WV (need to finish the carousel tonight) and I have a bunch of smaller plates and pieces to set it up as a display on the windowsill - but then I realised it will mean my son can't turn the buildings around to play with them. Maybe in a few years time...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    When covering large areas with white, don't forget to have the odd smattering of round 1x1s to help give it some texture and relieve the boredom of completely flat monochrome, and for building small snowdrifts at the side of buildings.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
    I once was playing around with one of the 10x10 "net" elements ( http://brickset.com/parts/?part=71155 ), and found that you could "attach" 2x2 tiles to it by aligning a 1x1 stud on the reverse side at a 45 degree angle. The resulting surface was awesome as a smooth snowdrift, since you could gently angle it up and down.

Sadly, I couldn't figure out a way to make it scale up well... But maybe someone out there will try it and figure out a way!

DaveE
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    ^ 2x4 tiles?

I've just had a go - perhaps not great if you want a matrix but seems to work reasonably well aligning them end-to-end for a 10 wide "slope"
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 809
    Yeah, I wanted to cover a scene with them, like a 48x48 baseplate with a snowy scene. Ok, actually, that's a lie-- I *originally* wanted to do that with my Hoth layout back in 2002 or so, but I knew that there was no way I'd be able to buy enough to cover a huge layout. But looked like it might work for a smaller model.

I hadn't tried the 2x4 tiles (they're way newer than my 2 attempts at playing with it!), that's not a bad idea. Dunno how it would work at the seams, might be worth another go...

DaveE
  • tfranklin84tfranklin84 Member Posts: 103
    For this year, because of lack of funds, I've taken the easy way out and just bought a bag of the fake snow in a bag from walmart for $3 (I think it's just shredded pieces of plastic). One bag is enough to cover the entire set up. My wife and I just put the sets on the extra large gray base plates ($15 each) and then covered the gray area up with the fake snow. I don't love it, but it's better than just the bare gray plates, and it was just $3...
    FollowsClosely
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    This is my snowy landscape :-)
  • Ivo_tjeIvo_tje Member Posts: 12
    I have the idea to make a rubber mold from a baseplate, make plaster baseplate out of it, modify it where needed (remove studs for roads), make a rubber mold from the plaster one and fill it with polyurethane.... But making a set of custom baseplates will take a couple of weeks... The rubber molds can be used couple of times and since all I need is a couple of corners and straight roads, two molds can do... But maybe I can make another layout... :)
  • weaselkingweaselking Member Posts: 61
    I have all the Winter Village sets and created a, well, village, on top of the entertainment center. We used some of the fake snow from Target, just as was mentioned above. For the skiers, I just used a couple of books laid flat with a building block underneath the layer of snow. Looks great!
  • muridaemuridae Member Posts: 5
    I'm using a sheet of large white card (the sort you can get from art shops) as a base. It's cut to the size of the shelf that my Winter Village is sitting on, which is part of a corner cupboard/display unit so has lots of angles that wouldn't work with base plates. The card has a slightly satin finish to it, so it looks quite good as a covering of snow. The only real disadvantage is that I need to place my minifigs carefully to make sure they don't fall over.

I also have card in green (grass), cream/beige (sand) and blue (water). I plan to add more colours as different displays need them.